PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Name ideas for an intelligent Item Familliar, also questions about Item Familliar

sage20500
2015-06-04, 04:17 AM
Hey guys, so in a campaign that I'm getting ready to jump back into, the new character I'm playing has an item familliar that she made herself. It's an adamantine elven courtblade that she forged on her own. My issue currently is trying to figure out a name for the blade that is memorable while trying to avoid some of the more tropy ways of going about naming it (Such as calling it something in elvish). For the blade itself as of right now at level 12 the first ability I selected was to give it improved sentience, so it currently has a 12 Int, 12 Wis, and 16 Cha. Planning wise, I'm wanting to as it's second or final uprade give it the purpose to slay all evil arcane spell casters or to slay all necromancers (The DM prefers us to select more specific goals when it comes to those kinds of purposes,) or else to slay all undead.) Aside from that, the other upgrade will probably be to give the blade Undead Bane.

Currently the only two names I've been able to come up with are either Twilight, or Twilight's End. So yeah, anyone have any good memorable name suggestions for a sword such as that?

Also the other question regarding item familliar abilities, the one choice that they give to select a +1 enhancement and add it onto the weapon... is that regarded as part of the over all +10 of enhancements you can have on a weapon, or if you select that ability is that considered a seperate extra and so not a part of the total +10 you can have?

Uncle Pine
2015-06-04, 04:43 AM
Derflinger is a cool name for a sword. Copious and gratuitous use of foreign languages (German, Greek, Latin and Russian are some big ones) may also help you draw inspiration.

Also the other question regarding item familliar abilities, the one choice that they give to select a +1 enhancement and add it onto the weapon... is that regarded as part of the over all +10 of enhancements you can have on a weapon, or if you select that ability is that considered a seperate extra and so not a part of the total +10 you can have?
The first one.

Jergmo
2015-06-04, 04:47 AM
Well, before you determine its name, you ought to determine its personality. It has 16 Cha, which means that it has a strong "ego" and it's dedicated to a specific purpose. The blade *wants* to be called something bad-A, most likely, and its lower smarts-based attributes probably means it doesn't care as much about the complexity of its name. "Twilight's End" probably sounds good to the blade, whereas a more intelligent, lower-cha item would probably want a more complex name - or something that sounds like a real name.

Hrugner
2015-06-04, 04:58 AM
I'd browse through names that come from places or things you think of when considering the weapons origin or form. It's a sort of curvy elf blade so naming it after an insect or plant of some kind may be appropriate. Amaranth, Katydid, Hacklemesh, something like that.

Kriton
2015-06-04, 10:43 AM
I think Misteltein is a cool name for a magic sword. Though it comes from real world mythology.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-04, 11:34 AM
Victor Slashburton is probably the best name for a sword in general.

Stabitha also has a classic, old world elegance to it.