PDA

View Full Version : The Wasted Potion?

pendejochy
2007-04-23, 05:59 PM
Roy mentioned drinking the potion and hoping for minimal fall damage could possibly save him.

Do you think that maybe, if Roy still had the potion, he could have drank it and made survived the fall, effectively making Roy's death Elan's fault?

jindra34
2007-04-23, 06:01 PM
maybe.....

Pantler
2007-04-23, 06:08 PM
maybe.....

Wow, man, that was deep.

Unlikely. Roy has taken do much damage it would take a Heal potion to give him a chance, and I don't think he needed one after taking three ordinary arrows. Besides, it was his own choice to take these arrows on himself.
So as for Elan's guilt in Roy's death, it's even more absurd than the theory that Belkar fulfilled the prophecy by giving Roy the Ring of Jumping.
It's like Stanislaw Lec once wrote: women are responsible for all wars, because they give birth to soldiers.

Collin152
2007-04-23, 06:10 PM
See, the damge he healed then would still be all he healed now, so it would end him up in the exact same boat, moniseurs.

Carieinez
2007-04-23, 06:12 PM
I think that falling from that hight would most defitnitly kill someone. Even if he still had the potion.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 06:15 PM
I think that falling from that hight would most defitnitly kill someone. Even if he still had the potion.

20d6 terminal falling damage. At most, that's 120 damage. It's possible that Roy's max HP is higher than that, so if he managed to completely heal himself before hitting the ground, he could've survived.

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-04-23, 06:24 PM
No. It's Xykon's fault and it was Roy's fault. No point in saying "Maybe it was Elan's fault" or Miko's, or V's. Roy jumped up ONTO the flying zombie dragon, ridden by a powerful lich and DIDN'T expect to fall to his doom? And Xykon? It's his job to kill adventurers. No, it is not Elan's fault, it's not Belkar's fault.

It happened, no need to play the blame game.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 06:41 PM
No. It's Xykon's fault and it was Roy's fault. No point in saying "Maybe it was Elan's fault" or Miko's, or V's. Roy jumped up ONTO the flying zombie dragon, ridden by a powerful lich and DIDN'T expect to fall to his doom? And Xykon? It's his job to kill adventurers. No, it is not Elan's fault, it's not Belkar's fault.

Quoted For Truth.

PirateMonk
2007-04-23, 06:44 PM

Is it just because I saw it so recently that "Your Fault" from Into the Woods is running through my head?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-04-23, 06:50 PM
Actually, I think it's Belkar's fault. Indirectly, of course, and shared with Xykon, Xykon's dragon, gravity, the Gods, the rest of the OotS, Roy's dad, Hinjo, Miko, the Snarl, the Order of the Crayons, etc. But it is still Belkar's fault. :biggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-23, 07:05 PM
I thought this topic was going to be about the Shillelagh oil...

With that and his Greatclub, Roy might have actually done more damage against Xykon than he did with his sword, since it would have bypassed Xykon's DR/Magic and Bludgeoning.

Then again, assuming Roy has Greater Weapon Focus and Specialization in Greatsword, and with a +5 Undead Bane sword, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Rai Thunder
2007-04-23, 07:05 PM
20d6 terminal falling damage. At most, that's 120 damage. It's possible that Roy's max HP is higher than that, so if he managed to completely heal himself before hitting the ground, he could've survived.

True, but bear in mind that Roy had been battling Xykon before. No-one knows how much HP he lost from that.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 07:11 PM
True, but bear in mind that Roy had been battling Xykon before. No-one knows how much HP he lost from that.

Which is why I said before hitting the ground. If he pulled out a "Potion of Uber-Healing" or something that would restore him to full hit points AFTER getting meteor swarmed, but BEFORE hitting the ground, he might've survived.

Abacab
2007-04-23, 07:19 PM
Do you think that maybe, if Roy still had the potion, he could have drank it and made survived the fall, effectively making Roy's death Elan's fault?

Elan couldn't help that Roy fell off the dragon. He didn't push him off. Xykon did that, so it's his fault.

And Roy took the arrows for Elan because Elan didn't want to "get out of the shade", so you could say that it's Elan's fault that Roy didn't have a potion to drink while he was dying.

It's like this: a person is dying from wounds in a bathroom completely shut off from people that can help him or her. In the room, their is nothing that can save them except for one item. In the medicine cabinet there was a special ointment that could save their life, but their friend used it before. Obviously, the human end up dying. But its not directly the friends' fault.

Finwe
2007-04-23, 07:26 PM

Huh? it doesn't always do max damage. He could survive with 60 hp, or even 11 hp, if he was insanely lucky. (20 damage min from fall, stabilize at -9 hp).

Given the bars in his eyes in the first panel, he was at 0hp. So if he were to take a potion of cure critical wounds, and get lucky on his rolls, he might heal 30hp. It would not have been impossible for him to survive if he had had a potion. If he had possessed multiple potions, he would have had a good chance of surviving.

holywhippet
2007-04-23, 08:49 PM
Hmm, what are the rules on potions of regeneration? In an earlier strip V said that Elan would die if his HP reached -10. If Roy was between 0 and -10 HP after hitting the ground then a regeneration potion in his body would restore him back to the world of positive HPs. My question is though, would a regeneration potion be able to restore him if he'd gone below -10? Troll regenerate and I think they can recover from death provided they didn't take fire/acid damage.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 08:50 PM
Hmm, what are the rules on potions of regeneration? In an earlier strip V said that Elan would die if his HP reached -10. If Roy was between 0 and -10 HP after hitting the ground then a regeneration potion in his body would restore him back to the world of positive HPs. My question is though, would a regeneration potion be able to restore him if he'd gone below -10? Troll regenerate and I think they can recover from death provided they didn't take fire/acid damage.

NOpe nadda would not happen...

Copacetic
2007-04-23, 08:59 PM
Me thinks nothing would have saved him.

" He's dead Jim."

" No check again mabye if h gets on lucky roll on cure critical wounds and stablizes, he might survive!"

*Doctor slaps Jim*

UltimaGabe
2007-04-24, 12:33 AM

First off, trolls DO regenerate, and they'll regenerate any damage that isn't fire or acid. That being said, no spell in the entire game short of Shapechanging into a troll (even the Regenerate spell) can give a target regeneration. The Regenerate spell simply heals the target of a bunch of damage and, if they're missing any limbs or body parts, instantly regrows them. That also being said, the Regenerate spell is far too high of a level to put in a potion.

...so, in other words, no.

Turcano
2007-04-24, 01:19 AM

No, it was the butterfly's fault. The one that flapped its wings in Brazil. I mean Cliffport. Yeah.

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-04-24, 04:42 AM
No, it was the butterfly's fault. The one that flapped its wings in Brazil. I mean Cliffport. Yeah.

You've opened my eyes

factotum
2007-04-24, 04:48 AM
Huh? it doesn't always do max damage. He could survive with 60 hp, or even 11 hp, if he was insanely lucky. (20 damage min from fall, stabilize at -9 hp).

Insanely lucky about covers it--if my maths are right, we're talking odds of nearly four quadrillion to one that you could roll 20 straight 1s!

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-24, 05:10 AM
No its our fault, Roy's a fictional character and thus no events actually occur for him except in our minds. By reading the comic and accepting it as cannon material we accepted the fact he was dead and thus killed him.

old_school
2007-04-24, 06:00 AM
Am I the only one who sees the true culprit here: Ceilia!

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-24, 06:03 AM
No wait, its Xykon's fault.

If he hit Roy harder he would have damaged the amulet and made it possible to break it in time.

Skeeve_Plowse
2007-04-24, 06:31 AM
No wait, its Xykon's fault.

If he hit Roy harder he would have damaged the amulet and made it possible to break it in time.

You don't hit much harder than with Meteor Swarm.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-24, 06:32 AM
You don't hit much harder than with Meteor Swarm.

But still not enough to damage the amulet.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-24, 06:34 AM
I don't think so. One or two cure critical wounds potions wouldn't be enough, I guess, only if he used a potion of heal, or something.

Ashbless
2007-04-24, 07:17 AM

I'm surprised no-one's yet blamed Miko for this..., :smallsmile:

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-04-24, 07:54 AM
I'm surprised no-one's yet blamed Miko for this..., :smallsmile:

Oh, I'm sure someone has in one of the 20 million threads :smallsmile:

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 03:40 PM
But still not enough to damage the amulet.

The only way for meteor swarm to damage Roy's talisman is if Roy rolls a Natural 1 on his saving throw. It's possible, but seeing how his possessions survived intact, unlikely.