PDA

View Full Version : A few questions on weapons in a role playing game set in the "real world"

scout penguin
2015-06-04, 05:46 AM
So, here's the deal, for some time now I've been building a system based on Espionage and Special Operations in an alternate history earth. Set in the not too distant future, this earth is not the one we know. the Soviet Union still exists. Anthropomorphic wolves, and Bionic women stalk the shadows alongside psychokinetic's and other such gifted individuals. Ninja's fight alongside Mini gun toting super soldiers over secret plans. It's Agents of SHEILD meets Metal Gear Solid meets G.I. Joe, with a dash of 1980's action movies thrown in.

Setting that aside for now, one big issue I'm having is how to handle firearms, not from a rules perspective, but in terms of names. Can I legally use real world firearms without paying the company's that make them? What about Military designations for those weapons, i.e. M-16 vs AR-15? What about the appearance of the weapon in artwork?

Am I better off creating purely fictional weapons?

Would it bother you, as a player, to wield, say, the "Soviet Assault Rifle" or "AD-45" instead of the ubiquitous AK-47? How important are weapon names to the feel of the setting, assuming the setting is supposed to be earth?

Khedrac
2015-06-04, 06:58 AM
We cannot give legal advice on this forum, but it is worth noting that most modern-day (or near modern) RPGs give stats for real-world weapons, they also often use real world company names.
Back in the 90s there was a book "Edge of the Sword Vol 1" which was a formal analysis and comparison of most of the weapons used by special forces around the world for PRG purposes.
(Analysing accuracy and range and including cost etc.)

More generally, it is always wise to avoid trademarks, or when referring to them record that they are a trademark and the property of whoever. if you needed to avoid referring to a AK47 then most of the action novel writers would be out of a job.

The main twist with real world companies is the need to avoid accidental defamation - so any companies that are villains need to be fictional.

scout penguin
2015-06-04, 07:20 AM
Thanks, that pretty well explains what I needed.

Thrudd
2015-06-04, 08:27 AM
fWIW, The Feng Shui RPG included an entire inventory of brand-named firearms in their published book: Desert Eagle, Mossberg, H&K, Glock, Uzi, etc.

My favorite flavor text:
shotguns: "Mossberg Special Purpose - and what might that special purpose be? Might it be, blowing people away?"

JeenLeen
2015-06-04, 08:40 AM
Khedrac said most of what I would say, but I have one opinion as a player who is rather gun-ignorant.

When you list the stats for weapons, list them both as generic and with a particular brand. For example, say "Assault Rifle" in one column and "AD-45" in another and then the stats in the other columns. I don't know what a Mossberg Special Purpose is, so something like that would help me as a player.
White Wolf did this in at least some of their oWoD books, and it seemed to work pretty well.

If you want to have individual stats for each weapon (or justt weapon type per country, like different stats for Soviet Assault Rifle and American Assault Rifle), I recommend having a header declaring "Assault Rifles" above them, or something in the format that lets you know these are the assault rifles, and likewise for other guns. Personally, I would recommend against listing stats for every single weapon -- detracts from fun in my opinion -- but I can see that being appropriate for some games.

scout penguin
2015-06-04, 10:10 AM
I had considered a generic weapons approach- having "Assault Rifle", "Pistol", and the like, but decided against it for one reason- many spy's are known for using a specific weapon, or for having stories that go into detail about the weapons they use (See: Brad Thor, Tom Clancy). James Bond use's a Walther PPK, Snake eye's has his Uzi's, and Rambo is known for using an M60. I also wanted to avoid every player using the exact same silenced handgun stats all the time. Besides, it's an RPG, weapons are half the fun! But I see what you mean, the choice need's to mean something if it's there, I don't want the D20 Modern issue of every gun being the same.

As for knowing what's what with guns, the only ones you may need to read the flavor text to figure out are the rifles, and that's only to check if it's a Assault or Sniper rifle. Even then, both have separate parts of the chart.

Right now, I'm thinking to keep the fictional gun's I've created, while also adding in some old fav's. The PPK, the UZI, AK's of a few kinds, that kind of thing. Thought's?