PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5: How do inherent bonuses work?

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-04, 02:43 PM
I've always struggled with the inherent bonus vs the enhancement bonus, and always thought they were one and the same. But after going through the players handbook again in preparation for a new D&D game coming up, I am not so sure. Are they different?

For example, lets say we have, a tomb of strength +5. This says it gives a +5 inherent bonus to strength. Then we have say, a Gauntlets of Strength +5. This gives the strength a +5 enhancement bonus.

Fighter with 20 strength/+5 bonus.
Fighter with 20 strength/+5 bonus with the Gauntlets of Strength+5 = 25 Strength/+7 bonus
Fighter with 20 Strength/+5 bonus uses Tomb of Strength +5 = 20 strength/+10 bonus

Do I have this right? So the inherent bonus doesn't actually change his strength number but gives him an almost divine modifier, so now he gets a +5 to hit and on damage rolls, and all strength checks in addition to his regular bonus?

torrasque666
2015-06-04, 02:52 PM
No, it would make that fighter have 25 STR. But unlike the gauntlets which can be dispelled/surpressed, inherent bonuses are just that. Inherent to the creature from that point further. Thus, they stack with all other kinds of bonuses, except other inherent bonuses that are less than it. So no stacking +1 tomes of strength until you hit +5.

Venger
2015-06-04, 03:11 PM
bonus types are separated by type. bonuses of the same type do not stack, they overlap, meaning only the highest applies. if you have a +2 enhancement str item and a +4 enhancement str item, you don't net a +6, but a +4.

the only types of bonuses which are allowed to stack with themselves are circumstance, dodge, and untyped.

Douglas
2015-06-04, 03:23 PM
Fighter with 20 strength/+5 bonus.
Fighter with 20 strength/+5 bonus with the Gauntlets of Strength+5 = 25 Strength/+7 bonus
This is correct.

Fighter with 20 Strength/+5 bonus uses Tomb of Strength +5 = 20 strength/+10 bonus
This is not. The correct lines are as follows:

Fighter with 20 Strength/+5 bonus uses Tome of Strength +5 = 25 strength/+7 bonus
Fighter with 20 Strength/+5 bonus uses Tome of Strength and has Gauntlets of Strength +5 = 30 strength/+10 bonus

The effect of an inherent bonus is exactly the same as the effect of an enhancement bonus of the same amount. The difference is that you can have both at the same time and they stack (but only the best 1 of each).

The unusual thing about inherent bonuses as that they are permanent, do not take an item slot, and cannot be dispelled or unequipped. For all purposes other than stacking with other inherent bonuses, an inherent bonus is functionally part of the base score.

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-04, 03:40 PM
Ahhh, i see. Well from now on I'll just call them permanent bonuses. Makes it easier for me. I can understand too now why they are capped at +5 unless the DM is okay with going over that. Powerful stuff. Thanks so much for explaining to me guys :smallsmile:

Venger
2015-06-04, 03:47 PM
Ahhh, i see. Well from now on I'll just call them permanent bonuses. Makes it easier for me. I can understand too now why they are capped at +5 unless the DM is okay with going over that. Powerful stuff. Thanks so much for explaining to me guys :smallsmile:

one other thing that separates them from normal ones: an inherent bonus to your int gives you more skill points.

Story
2015-06-04, 08:57 PM
Incidentally, it shouldn't be possible to get a +5 Enhancement bonus on an item like that. The only way I know of it get odd enhancement bonuses is Extract Gift.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-04, 09:09 PM
Incidentally, it shouldn't be possible to get a +5 Enhancement bonus on an item like that. The only way I know of it get odd enhancement bonuses is Extract Gift.

Or use the custom magic item creation rules.

Heliomance
2015-06-05, 02:11 AM
I never understood why inherent bonuses shouldn't stack. They're priced linearly rather than quadratically, unlike every other bonus type. Buying five +1 tomes is exactly the same price as buying a +5 tome. All making them not stack does ismake it so players don't want to get them at all until they can afford a +5 straight off. Doesn't seem like good design to me at all.

Venger
2015-06-05, 02:22 AM
I never understood why inherent bonuses shouldn't stack. They're priced linearly rather than quadratically, unlike every other bonus type. Buying five +1 tomes is exactly the same price as buying a +5 tome. All making them not stack does ismake it so players don't want to get them at all until they can afford a +5 straight off. Doesn't seem like good design to me at all.

it's textbook horrible design.

since they price them linearly, just let your players stack them if they want to (up to a maximum of 5 if you want to keep that) so they can actually use them and buy them when they have enough pocket change instead of saying "oh I'll buy them at lvl 17" and never getting there.

Crake
2015-06-05, 03:03 AM

since they price them linearly, just let your players stack them if they want to (up to a maximum of 5 if you want to keep that) so they can actually use them and buy them when they have enough pocket change instead of saying "oh I'll buy them at lvl 17" and never getting there.

I've always had the same mindset, and always let them stack up to +5, though that said, games rarely ever see players reach the point where they can afford decent amounts of inherent bonuses, unless they're at the level where they can get free ones :smallannoyed:

Venger
2015-06-05, 03:11 AM
I've always had the same mindset, and always let them stack up to +5, though that said, games rarely ever see players reach the point where they can afford decent amounts of inherent bonuses, unless they're at the level where they can get free ones :smallannoyed:

all the more reason they shouldn't be so hard to use by the normal RAW

Heliomance
2015-06-05, 03:21 AM

Alternatively, use the MIC guidelines for improving items to create "+1 to +2 upgrade tomes" which cost... huh, look at that. They'd cost exactly the same as a +1 tome.

ksbsnowowl
2015-06-06, 02:21 PM
Or just use the lesser ones, and use higher ones when you have the money...

If your DM is using the wealth by level guidelines as he should, you should always have something near the appropriate wealth. Sure, the Tome +2 you used should count against your wealth. But when you later use a Tome +5, it should count against your wealth, and the +2 Tome no longer should.

Sure, your character "wasted" a one-use item, but how many times does the wizard or artificer "waste" scrolls and wands? The ones you used at level 10 don't count against your wealth at level 15. The same is true of the Tomes and Manuals.

The only difference between the Tomes and a Belt of Giant Strength is you can't sell a used Tome like you could the +4 belt after you find a +6 belt. Your DM should be making up for it through quest loot, just like he would "lost" wealth from used scrolls.