PDA

View Full Version : Can the Order of the Stick Survive Without Roy?

Sebastian Bux
2007-04-23, 06:49 PM
So i present this to the community ... Can the OOTS survive as a group without Roy? Even if it's just a little while?

hrak
2007-04-23, 07:01 PM
no they willvhave no oder

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-23, 07:29 PM
They will become the Chaos of the Stick.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-23, 08:45 PM
Maybe they all become suffused with rage at roy's death, driving them all to homicidal mania and begin following belkar's lead.

Copacetic
2007-04-23, 08:53 PM
Umm, The lose their meat shield. And their leader. MAbye only if they killed off goblins and such untill they had enough money to bring him back

Nathander
2007-04-23, 08:59 PM
Maybe they all become suffused with rage at roy's death, driving them all to homicidal mania and begin following belkar's lead.

I can see that for all of them with the exception of Belkar. Belkar's just there to kill as he pleases. He could, perhaps, just use this as even more of an excuse to do what he does best. :smallbiggrin: That is, assuming that Roy's death and how far his body is out hasn't set off the MoJ. :smallamused: Sorry, hardcore Belkar fans; I like the character, but I'm entertained when he suffers as well.

However, I think there's the possibility they could survive as a group without him, but I think the main driving point would be that they'd be remaining a group for the sake of getting him raised.

Dervag
2007-04-23, 09:02 PM
They may fight a battle effectively, but they cannot maintain group cohesion without Roy. Durkon or Haley could lead the group, but neither is temperamentally suited to the task; none of the other members could.

Axl_Rose
2007-04-23, 09:12 PM
They will become the Chaos of the Stick.lol.

Im sure they'd survive. Xykon would spare them so they could gain some levels since great heroes make great villains by his logic.

Aimbot
2007-04-23, 09:14 PM
Durkon can lead in the short term, but Belkar and V will probably kill each other if the power vacuum remains.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-23, 09:33 PM
No. Roy is the leader, and the rest are pretty hopeless without him as has often been shown. Haley, Elan & Belkar are totally irresponsible, and Durkon would be incapable of getting any of them to do anything. V's mind is totally concerned with arcane matters and it's very unlikely s/he would be able to keep the group focused any more than Durkon would.

It's Roy who gives the group focus.

Mnemosyne
2007-04-23, 09:40 PM
In the short-term? Probably. V and Durkon are responsible, if a bit less than stellar leadership material.

In the long-term, absolutely not.

Querzis
2007-04-23, 09:42 PM
They might be able stay together until Roy is resurected...might. Elan and Haley would stay together but Durkon would leave and Belkar and V would probably kill each other.

Brickman
2007-04-23, 09:55 PM
Of course they will. This is not the end of the comic, and while I'm fairly sure the comic will weather and grow/improve from the death of one party member, it'll just stop being the same story if they stop being a group. They will be just as if not more devoted to stopping Xykon now that he's slain their leader.

Spiky
2007-04-23, 10:42 PM
Actually, the OOTS is currently dead. Roy IS the OOTS. Without him the "order" does not exist. They may remain a team, but it is a new team. Obviously the comic will survive, and perhaps Roy will be back. But right now....the team is gone, their contracts are cancelled, turn out the lights.

Tmabbbb
2007-04-23, 10:47 PM
Yes. They already have, and they can do so again.

Skjaldbakka
2007-04-23, 10:50 PM
But the contracts are already cancelled. Roy tore them up.

Kreistor
2007-04-23, 11:42 PM
Right now, they are pretty much operating as individuals anyway. Not much will change.

Long term, no, they don't have the drive to go it without Roy. There's too much enmity towards Belkar to retain him, leaving only E, V, H, and D. None of those have leadership potential, except for Haley who pretends to be too chaotic for the job.

Recurve
2007-04-24, 12:28 AM
There need to be consequences and significant challenges associated with Roy's death or death becomes meaningless in the OOTS storyline and world. I hope he stays dead for at least as long as Haley remained unable to speak properly to lend appropriate weight to this event.

In which case, the rest of the gang will get by fine without him. :)

SpeakerftDead
2007-04-24, 12:35 AM
I believe that Roy and Elan are the two characters that are key to holding the group toghether.

Elan forms the heart of the group, the most innocent member toward everyone else can look too and find something in that they like.

Roy on the other hand, forms the brain of the group. He directs everyone toward a single, cohesive goal. And while I feel that the OotS will definetly be cohesive for the rest of the battle, they will only be cohesive for the memory of Roy.

Without Roy, who is there for Durkon to really respect and talk too? Without Roy, Whose to keep Haley from convincing Elan to leave? Does anyone really expect Varsuvius to go on a quest to destroy Xykon by herself?

And as for Belkar, well, he has the emotional depth of paper, he'll be happy so long as he gets to stab.

Tharr
2007-04-24, 12:57 AM
Depends Roy has legal contract with lawyers come back.

EyethatBinds
2007-04-24, 06:55 AM
After Azure city falls to Xykon's army the remainder of the Saphire guild will regroup and set up a small force to watch and wait for a chance to get to the gate possibly to destroy it?
But they will also bring the fallen Miko so Xykon can't use her knowledge of the guild and Azure city's secrets to secure his stronghold. After a few strips of character developement for Miko she will get geased to adventure with the remaining stick members for redemption, and along the way she'll become the quasi-leader.
Or maybe they'll raise Roy since it isn't a tough spell for Durkon to cast.

NeonRonin
2007-04-24, 08:09 AM
I cringe at the idea of Miko(geased or not) becoming pro-tem leader of the OotS in Roy's absence. It would not work, for any number of reasons which I will not list at the moment. But primarily, they hate her and she hates them(especially Belkar). Nope. Not gonna happen.

Haley might be able to rally things(briefly) as the Order's second in command, but they really gotta get Roy back if they don't want to eventually descend into a disorganized rabble.

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-24, 08:20 AM
NeonRonin's right. They'll rally round a quest to revive Roy (even Belkar, since it's no fun if somebody else kills him), but if they try to adventure without him, it won't last long.

doublewju
2007-04-24, 08:37 AM
I dont really know, but I would love to see a new leader try to control the group. If only fo a while

Gitman00
2007-04-24, 09:42 AM
They may fight a battle effectively, but they cannot maintain group cohesion without Roy. Durkon or Haley could lead the group, but neither is temperamentally suited to the task; none of the other members could.

I was thinking this too. Roy is definitely the glue that holds the team together. In that way, I kind of compare him to Cyclops of the X-Men. Not as popular as Belkar/Wolverine, but without him the team falls apart. But on the other hand, I kind of wonder if this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html) comic was a foreshadowing, to show that the team is able to function without Roy. I'll have to ponder this more. I suspect that Roy will still be the one to hold the team together, if only to focus them toward accomplishing his mission, and dedicating themselves to his memory.