PDA

View Full Version : Telekenetic [Base Class]

Rowanomicon
2007-04-23, 06:57 PM
Gah, I have to go and have no time to post what I planned to post, but I've decided it's worth it to post this anyway so that people can post ideas or let me know if one exists already or whatever before I return. Expect me to get back to this later tonight, unless the Canucks lose and I am overcome with depression.

Rowanomicon
2007-04-24, 12:06 AM
I'm making this a new post to bump the thread up now that I actually have the time to post the content.

First I'd like to point out that the Canucks won their series against the Stars in game 7 tonight. 4 : 1

OK, so I don't have anything totally solid for this class idea. This is more the brainstorming period.

At first I thought this would be better as a base class, but now I'm considering making it a PrC. I'm still leaning towards base class though.

Lets start with the simple stuff:

BAB: either 3/4HD or 1/2HD depending on how the class ends up. Right now I'm leaning toward 3/4HD.

Saves: I really donno, I guess Will good and Ref/Fort bad. I'm pretty sure it's never been done (outside homebrew), but how unaceptable would it be to give it all bad saves? If it needs an improvement once it's all said and done I could give the class all good saves.

Skill Points per level: Either 4+Int mod or 6+Int mod, again depending. And again I think I'm leaning more to 6.

Class Skills: I'm not too sure about this? What do you guys think?

HD: d6 or d8 (just like BAB, SP, and saves this depends on whether the class needs to be tuned up or down after all the special abilities are done.

Now it gets a bit more complicated:

I could give this class some spell casting, but I donno if that's the right aproach. I think special abilities might do it better. Although a combo might become necessary.
If I do make this class a caster it will be arcane and will cast as Sorcerers and Bards except that it will know every spell on it's (limited) list. Anyone think making it a divine caster is a good idea? Clearly the flavour isn't divine, but if I make it arcane I will give it some ability to reduce arcane spell failure chance caused by armor and shield as it levels up.
There's a fair few spells that can be construed as being telekinetic, but that's the easy way out.

OK, finally on to what special abilities I'd like this class to have:

Ranged skill checks (for apropriate skills of course)
Ranged Str checks (and some sort of level based bonus on this)
Abilities described in the telekinesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telekinesis.htm) spell
Level based deflection bonus to AC

Please, I need help on this one, any and all is very very appreciated.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 12:09 AM
well....int to deflection would be a start....since they use their minds....ranged skill checks? What do you mean?

Rowanomicon
2007-04-24, 12:40 AM
I guess the only skills they'd be able to use ranged would be Use Rope, Open Lock, and Disable Device.

Also perhaps having the option of using their Int whenever they would use their Str.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 12:42 AM
well that makes sense. I could see that being really fun actually. I say keep that one, flavorful and unique

Rowanomicon
2007-04-24, 01:04 AM
I think perhaps a point system would work well for this class. Once a list of special abilities is brainstormed each with be given a point cost (most will have several tiers) and a Telekinetic will have a number of points based on his level. Using a special ability will use up a number of points and point will regenerate at a fixed rate (1/round?)

Green Bean
2007-04-24, 01:19 AM
Or, alternatively, you could go the way of the warlock, and have infinite powers a day. Of course, you have to be careful to balance it, but all telekenetics in books and moviese seem to be able to do it all day long

Rowanomicon
2007-04-24, 01:37 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought at first, but the point system came to mind as a way of showing that if a Telekinetic exerts themself to their maximum power they cannot keep it up forever where as other, cheaper, powers are "free" because they cost less than the Telekinetic's point regen rate. So while even a low level Telekinetic could spend all day transporting firewood telekinetically without worrying about uding up point even a high level Telekietic could not telekinetically hold down a Red Dragon Great Wyrm forever.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-24, 07:38 AM
There's already psionics. You'd be better off creating more psychokinetic powers that aren't just energy based.

Abjurer
2007-04-24, 03:35 PM
May the Force be with you.

Rowanomicon
2007-04-24, 09:11 PM
Are you trying to say that I should collect all the Force spells together and make this class specialize in them?
If so, and even if not, that's not a half bad idea.

knightsaline
2007-04-24, 11:06 PM
Give them the ability to levitate at higher levels for 10 minutes/day. I can imagine a guy floating into a room with A LOT of stuff floating around him, then throwing the items at anything that moves.

also, deflect spells and powers of the electricity subschool with at higher levels, being able to contain and release them.

Rowanomicon
2007-04-24, 11:59 PM
Levitation is a must have.

Defection of electricity?

knightsaline
2007-04-25, 01:20 AM
reference to Star wars episode 2. count dooku uses sith lightning against yoda, yoda seems to be able to use the force to not only stop the lightning, but fire it back at dooku.

Rowanomicon
2007-04-25, 01:28 AM
Ah, I see.
Yes, well this is going more for a comic-book telekinetic rather than the Force.
Many Force abilities fall into telekinesis, but Force-lighting doesn't really.

I was thinking I could make this a PrC that focuses on the Telekinesis spell similarly to the one that focuses on Magic Missile.
it would remove the limits on caster level bonuses and grant other abilities as well as giving 1/2 or 1/3 caster level progression.

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-25, 01:44 AM
Just a few thoughts:

Telekinetic shot: Using the power of your mind you can manipulate objects in flight.
Benefit: You can add your Intelligence Modifier to ranged attack rolls.

Telekinetic shield: Using telekinesis small objects such as arrows can be deflected.
Benefit: You can add your Intelligence Modifier to defence as a shield modifier against ranged attacks.

Telekinetic Lift: Once per day per level you can lift an object or series of objects. To calculate the amount of weight you can move in this manner, use your Intelligence score as if it were your strength score on the carrying capacity table. Due to the mental strain of holding up multiple items or an item of great size, the medium/heavy load restrictions still apply (Including to dwarves). If you try to lift a person or living creature, they are allowed a dexterity check with a DC equal to (10+Telekinetic level+Int modifier) to struggle free of the grip.

Rowanomicon
2007-04-25, 01:47 AM
I definitely like and will use the first 2, except I think calling it a deflection bonus might be better.
The third one's definitely and idea except I think if the Telekinesis spell is used then it will be redundant.