PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Oracle (lore) 1 Bard 5= 36/ 46 auto knowledge?

Darcand
2015-06-04, 10:26 PM
My girlfriend made a level 1 Oracle (lore) with trance and side step secret. Trance gives her a +20 bonus to any knowledge based skill check a number of times per day equal to her CHA bonus. Next level she plans on taking Bard. At level 5 she'll gain Lore Master, letting her take 10 on any trained knowledge check, and once per day take 20 on any knowledge check. So, Trace (20) + 1 Rank and 3 Class Bonus + 2 Bardic Knowledge + auto 20 from Loremaster = Automatic 46 to any knowledge check 1/day at 6th level and auto 36 on 3-4 more checks per day. Am I reading this right?

Geddy2112
2015-06-04, 11:03 PM
Correct. Although I would probably save the 20's and just use them as take 20's, and use the other boon and just roll. Short of a natural 1, a +26 is going to ensure a success on a knowledge. It can also be used for spellcraft. If you wanna really juice knowledge, you can take the think on it and lore keeper and know...everything.

With the archivist archtype, you can get lore master with just 2 levels in bard, as well as a bonus to spellcraft. The archivist performance also gives nice boons against any monster you identify...and you generally won't be failing knowledge checks for this.

Crake
2015-06-05, 04:08 AM
Correct. Although I would probably save the 20's and just use them as take 20's, and use the other boon and just roll. Short of a natural 1, a +26 is going to ensure a success on a knowledge. It can also be used for spellcraft. If you wanna really juice knowledge, you can take the think on it and lore keeper and know...everything.

Even a 1 is still pretty much a success unless you're using some houserule where 1 is auto fail.

How much this matters though depends on your DM. I've had DMs in the past that just handwave away a roll of 40-50 by just saying "Nobody in the world knows this stuff... except the people here... Who don't talk to anyone ever!.... except the traders who come in and out of the area"

Vhaidara
2015-06-05, 06:36 AM
Yeah, Lore Oracle is pretty silly. I actually made one who abused the part of Knowledge (History) where the event you know the date of can be in the future. It was awesome. He would have seizures (Focused Trance) and get visions of the future

FabulousFizban
2015-06-06, 02:32 PM
My girlfriend made a level 1 Oracle (lore) with trance and side step secret. Trance gives her a +20 bonus to any knowledge based skill check a number of times per day equal to her CHA bonus. Next level she plans on taking Bard. At level 5 she'll gain Lore Master, letting her take 10 on any trained knowledge check, and once per day take 20 on any knowledge check. So, Trace (20) + 1 Rank and 3 Class Bonus + 2 Bardic Knowledge + auto 20 from Loremaster = Automatic 46 to any knowledge check 1/day at 6th level and auto 36 on 3-4 more checks per day. Am I reading this right?

correct. see my tag below

Spore
2015-06-06, 03:20 PM
correct. see my tag below

I don't get the Ninja 2 part.

Jack_Simth
2015-06-06, 03:50 PM
Yes, but for practical purposes, it's only non-combat knowledge. The 1d6 rounds of trance limits you to move actions. Still very useful, don't get me wrong, but if you get surprised by a critter you're not going to be rattling off it's elemental vulnerabilities until after the battle is already over.