View Full Version : Weapon names

sage20500
2015-06-05, 11:33 AM
Just curious for my own reasons on trying to name a sword for a new character, but what are some memorable names that you guys may have encountered in your own games?

Geddy2112
2015-06-05, 12:00 PM
I played in a game where the goblin gunslinger had a pistol named "Diplomacy" and a rifle named "intimidate".
When I was playing an inquisitor of Pharasma I called my repeating crossbow "The ranged reaper" but it was more of a title than a name.

Other than those two times It has never really come up at my table. I can't even remember a setting I played in where there were even stories any legendary weapons i.e. Excalibur/sword in the stone.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-05, 12:21 PM
Currently I've got two named weapons on my characters. I've got a Paladin of Torm in a 3.5 adventure with an "aspect" of Duty's Bond (Torm's personal greatsword). I'm also in a Pathfinder campaign where my Paladin has a greataxe named "Judgement".

soapdude
2015-06-05, 12:24 PM
I had a halfling with an adamantine crowbar he has made himself. During one battle, he named his crowbar "Old Faithful". He then critically fumbled his next attack roll, so he renamed it "Stupid Piece of S***". That later got shortened to "S.P.S.", then then phoneticized as "Espius". He then had "Espius" engraved on it.

JW86
2015-06-05, 12:59 PM
My Orb Barbarian had a Greatsword he called "Chainbreaker". He used it to strike the chains from slaves, freeing them in a heroic tirade of Chaotic Goodness.

Ferronach
2015-06-05, 01:02 PM
The Final Fantasy games tend to have some memorable names on their weapons.
This page has most of the swords. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_(Weapon_Type))

Elricaltovilla
2015-06-05, 01:13 PM
My half-orc warder named his Earthbreaker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/earth-breaker) after a line from This Scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7bdr6fjg-k) in Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

VoxRationis
2015-06-05, 01:26 PM
I don't usually name my weapons as a player, but as a DM, I once had an NPC carry a sword named "Mortifer."

Fluffy Viking
2015-06-05, 02:05 PM
I had two swords, one a custom legacy weapon Greatsword called Wyrd-Ender, and currently a Blackblade Magus whose sword is named Gulbrand. Honestly, just go with some Nordic name and you'll be set.

Zaq
2015-06-05, 02:09 PM
I once partied with a Crusader whose overarching goal was spreading the gospel of Tome of Battle. (He carried a bunch of copies around with him, and when he saw someone who was, say, a Fighter or a Monk, he'd pass the books out and try to get some new converts.) He had a tricked-out spiked chain called Nice Thing, because melee characters deserve nice things. Very meta, but it worked well in our group.

Gnoman
2015-06-05, 02:35 PM
Let's see. In my last campaign there was the great sword Godsbane, the evil blade Kinstabber, the bow Pathlighter, and the spear Magicfeeder.

JBarca
2015-06-05, 02:41 PM
I've currently got a Paladin-type character wielding The Sword of Kas. It's an Artifact, so the name was chosen for me, but still. It's there.

RolandDeschain
2015-06-05, 02:41 PM
Played a lawful good elven sorcerer/crusader who named his courtblade The Magister.

Talyn
2015-06-05, 02:44 PM
My paladin's family sword is called "Hope." The war cleric's greatsword is called "Duty." The Halfling mercenary's dancing short sword is called "Sword," and yes, that's a proper noun.

Asteron
2015-06-05, 03:30 PM
This website (http://fantasynamegenerators.com/)has a whole section on generating weapon names!

A Bladebound Magus in my campaign just got his black blade: Judgement the Merciless.

Telonius
2015-06-05, 03:43 PM
Back about a thousand years ago, a friend of mine tried to put together a Tolkien-based MMORPG. My character was a Noldor Elf craftsman. His signature weapon was a dark sword that he'd crafted, named "Eol's Dream."

Blackhawk748
2015-06-05, 03:51 PM
Once had an Elven Courtblade named "Thorn" and a Thinblade named "Rose", yes these where on the same character and her last name was Rosethorn.

I had a Warblade with a longsword called "Spirit Reaver" which had a Greater Truedeath Crystal bonded to it. And not in the normal fashion, like the Crystal was part of the weapon. Still need to turn that in to a WoL...

Had an Axe named Voidbane.

Had a Greatcrossbow (on a character who i never got to play) named Canon because ....... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vO7n8-9v0) and yes it was a female character.

Oddman80
2015-06-05, 04:02 PM
I had a holy/splitting/seeking/collision Force Bow that went by the name THE BALANCE KEEPER

There was an Adamantium/Whirling/Holy/Wrathful Healing/Vanishing/Shadowstrike Spiked Chain called LIFE GIVER

There was a Valorous/Flaming/Frost/Holy/Slowing/Shadowstrike/Prismatic Burst Heavy Flail called LIFE TAKER

Also - the Morphing/Mighty Cleaving/Viscious/Brilliant Energy Great Sword called THE INEVITABLE

Callin
2015-06-05, 05:20 PM
My brother had a Halfling Barbarian dual wielding 2 maces named Toebasher and Kneesmasher.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-05, 05:22 PM
Had a Greatcrossbow (on a character who i never got to play) named Canon because ....... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vO7n8-9v0) and yes it was a female character.
... I'm keeping this.

Venger
2015-06-05, 05:39 PM
I named my character's "shemesh," the hebrew word for jawbone, after the ass's jawbone Samson killed thousands of npcs with. it seemed fitting.

Scheming Wizard
2015-06-05, 07:44 PM
I always liked the idea of a dagger named oath breaker.

I played an Epic Wizard who had a quarterstaff named Duskmaiden.

If you like the tolkien names better here is a list of his named weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Middle-earth_weapons_and_armour#Anglachel

sage20500
2015-06-05, 07:47 PM
I always liked the idea of a dagger named oath breaker.

I played an Epic Wizard who had a quarterstaff named Duskmaiden.

If you like the tolkien names better here is a list of his named weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Middle-earth_weapons_and_armour#Anglachel

I caught you on that :P, I saw the Fate Stay Night reference :P (Rule Breaker is apparently refered to as either Oath Breaker or Rule Breaker, freaking cheap cheating noble phantasm)

RollynT.Glal
2015-06-05, 08:08 PM
For an upcoming round- robin DM thing my group's going to try I made a set of "legendary" blades made by some warrior-smith as a way of literally forging his family's legacy. They are "Blood-Drinker" the dagger, "Bone-Snapper" the short sword, "Flesh-Tearer" the long sword, "Steel-Biter" the bastard sword, and finally "Life-Stealer" the great sword. Not terribly creative I know but for some reason I feels right for a generic fantasy romp.

Ruethgar
2015-06-05, 08:50 PM
I had two swords, one a custom legacy weapon Greatsword called Wyrd-Ender, and currently a Blackblade Magus whose sword is named Gulbrand. Honestly, just go with some Nordic name and you'll be set.

How in the nine hells would a sword end a wyrd? Those things have all manner of divinations at will, played smart they would know if someone was going to try and kill them.

slade88green
2015-06-05, 08:59 PM
One of my players had a dim witted half orc fighter that had Bob the spear, LongBob the long spear and TriBob the magical trident.

afroakuma
2015-06-05, 09:37 PM
Once had a particularly nasty one - a corrupt weapon enchanted with plague of nightmares and the violet rain version of evil weather. One could thrust it into the earth to unleash those spells across miles, and the spell effects were also incumbent on the wielder and those he struck. You'd eventually die from wielding it, of course...

I called it Godless.

Scheming Wizard
2015-06-05, 10:10 PM
I caught you on that :P, I saw the Fate Stay Night reference :P (Rule Breaker is apparently refered to as either Oath Breaker or Rule Breaker, freaking cheap cheating noble phantasm)

Casters dagger was sweet. Its too weird shaped for combat and is what I would expect a wizards dagger to be like.

DrMotives
2015-06-05, 11:25 PM
I had a whole bat-themed clan of dwarves, they rode giant bats like that one dude from Neverending Story. As their mountain was infested with trolls, a fairly standard weapon for them was the "firebat", a +1 flaming crossbow where the whole front of the weapon was a shaped silver statuette of a bat. The bolt rested on its head between the ears, and the wings swept back were the arc of the bow.

glitterbaby
2015-06-06, 02:24 AM
I once played a savage progression Trumpet Archon. He was VoP but the trumpet/sword was ok'd due to it not being entirely magical I guess. He named it The Ambassador, for when you just need to use a little diplomacy.

Ben Powers
2015-06-06, 04:06 AM
Had a rogue with a rapier named "Stabitha" and a hand crossbow named "Good Sense"

Odin's Eyepatch
2015-06-06, 04:36 AM
I have a character who has got a longsword and a light crossbow named.... (wait for it)..... Lizzy and Jimmy! :smallcool:

'Why?' you might ask.

Why not? :smallwink:
But seriously, I have no idea why, it just happened. At least I can swear at Jimmy everytime he misses!

Vhaidara
2015-06-06, 07:34 AM
Okay, I actually have several.
For Leah Sparatine, the orphaned dueling Countess from Taldor, the rapier Valinia
For a variation of Leah, the scythe taken from the vampire who killed her father, Valeenator
For Nadia Vorns, exiled noble of the Mana Wastes, the broadsword Ankyron
For Arzak the Tribute, orcish hostage to a tribe in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, his blood father's battle axe, Man-Cleaver
Also for Arzak, his adoptive, human father's bastard sword, Wyrmslayer

Going back to my old freeform days, I had a character who regularly stole the names for his weapons from Kingdom Hearts.

Thurbane
2015-06-06, 07:43 AM
I once had a 1E character that wielded a +3 greatsword called "Conqueror", which also happened to be a symbol of the kingdom (he was a displaced Prince).

Seharvepernfan
2015-06-07, 11:12 AM
None of these are from games that I've actually played, just ideas I've had.

Sidhewrath (shee rath), a weapon (usually a rapier or longsword) that is anarchic, holy, and fiendbane.

Starfall, a longbow with the force enhancement.

Transcendence, a glassteel sword with force and collision enhancements (basically the sharpest blade out there).

Elf-fang, a mithril spiked gauntlet.

Seems to me that the best names for items are actual names; Glamdring, Orcrist, Varscona, Crom Faeyr, Aegis-Fang, Taulmaril, Khazidea, etc.

Terazul
2015-06-07, 11:20 AM
My Bard had a custom Crystal Echoblade he named "Alla Breve", which means "Cut Time" in musical terminology. He later upgraded it into a Greatsword-sized equivalent, after which he renamed it to "Troppa Forza", or "Too Much Force".

All the other weapon names were from Exalted, where it was much more common. A jeep named the Indomitable Crusade, shotgun Inevitable Ruin. Really, just <Adjective> <Noun> works great! Though also had two mundane weapons, one that dealt exclusively lethal damage, "Business", and one that specialized in non-lethal/stun, "Pleasure".

Calen
2015-06-07, 11:46 AM
Dumúzahar "The Blood Drinker" A great sword that literally drinks blood.
Lokrenosh "Honors Call" A broadsword made with items that the PC had been honored with.

Sir Chuckles
2015-06-07, 04:03 PM
A friend of mine used a greataxe named Nathaniel.
His character also had a son named Nathaniel.

The son was named after the axe.

Dayaz
2015-06-07, 04:48 PM
The only time I ever seriously named a weapon, it was from my very first game. Played a level one Barbarian in 3.5 with a Greatclub that, being a bunch of clueless newblets, we assumed was roughly the size of a small tree or totem pole. The WoW cinematic may have had something to do with this.

Anyways, playing the iconic barbarian, he was a rather simple fellow who just liked smashing things with "Stick", that was a weapon he had fashioned himself one day during a battle pre-game.

Considering I had the Dice Gods ever in my favor that campaign, I never replaced or upgraded 'Stick', since I was doing the most damage in the party consistently, and eventually, 'Stick' became something of a legendary weapon in our campaign world.

We had a one-shot a few campaigns later in that world, where the premise was a powerful Lich had stolen the God-Humbler, Stick, and was planning on sacrificing it and the belief garnered in it in a bid to turn the whole plane into his Phylactery. To put this in perspective, it was a 100% mundane Greatclub.

It's still my favorite character I've ever played from level 1-15+. Ocassionally, we'll come across a mention of a hero wielding the god-like weapon 'Stick' in some form of lore in a new world, and all the new players think I'm insane when my and the DM start giggling like school children.

Baroknik
2015-06-07, 08:59 PM
I justwanted to say that this thread reminds me of one of my favorite game of thrones quotes.
It starts with Arya saying, "Lots of people name their weapons..."