PDA

View Full Version : WHAT NOW? (Spoiler Alert!!!!!)

Oxymoron
2007-04-23, 09:31 PM
I thought I was so clever. I had figured out that after the battle, Xykon would somehow lose this gate too, and move on to Girards gate in the western continent. And of course, Roy would follow him with his merry band and they would stumble into Tyrinar (also in the Western Continent) where Elan would face his evil father, the ruler of Tyrinar and capturer of Haleys father. And the Linear guild would follow them across the sea to finally get revenge.

But now Roy is dead! Yes, he is going to be ressurected but he is effectivly out of the battle. So what will happen now? How long is he going to be dead? Will Belkar have to kidnap his corpse (mark of justice) and escape to avoid being thrown into jail? Will Roy be turned into a zombie? Who will stop Xykon? Will Redcloak find the booty talisman, summon Celia and kidnap her? Will Haley lead the Oots and become as grumpy and sleepdeprived as him?

Rich, someone cast the spell fox cunning on you, cause you have outfoxed me. I`m truly looking forward to see what happens next, cause I have no idea.

Demented
2007-04-23, 10:17 PM
Whoever picks up Roy's sword is going to be getting an earful from TWO dead Greenhilts.

Edit:
...This comment turned out to be significantly less relevant to the thread than I thought it would be.

fwiffo
2007-04-23, 10:28 PM
Come on, kids. You know the best way to become undead is to have an unfulfilled oath that binds you to material plane and won't let your spirit go to resting places. That is Roy in a nutshell. He is now going to be dealing with Xykon not as a fragile mortal to undead, but as fully undead undead to undead. A live Roy was big enough problem. An undead Roy will kick that blue robe covered lichy butt.

asland32
2007-04-23, 10:50 PM
Assuming that the talisman broke when it hit the ground, like Roy's back, Cecilia could save him. There is a spell that will raise a character as long as it is cast within 10 rounds of death. I think it is from the Spell Compendium.
While this would be slightly cheesy, it is completely within the realm of possibility.
Personally, I'd like to see Roy stay dead just for the drama of it. From a storyteller standpoint, brining back the dead is bad form without major exposition leading up to it.
There was some foreboding for this: before the fight started, when Haley was giving advice and arrows to the bastion's defenders, the general came up and reminded her that this was war. And in war people die.
Roy's death was noble, but innately futile as he acheived nothing but the demolition of a corpse-dragon. Xykon can still fulfill his plans with little effort.

fwiffo
2007-04-23, 10:58 PM
Assuming that the talisman broke when it hit the ground, like Roy's back, Cecilia could save him.

Cecilia might be good at breaking hearts, but there is no such character in OOTS. And the talisman didn't break.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 11:20 PM
Come on, kids. You know the best way to become undead is to have an unfulfilled oath that binds you to material plane and won't let your spirit go to resting places. That is Roy in a nutshell. He is now going to be dealing with Xykon not as a fragile mortal to undead, but as fully undead undead to undead. A live Roy was big enough problem. An undead Roy will kick that blue robe covered lichy butt.

Kicking Xykon's butt would require... well... substance. Not something ghosts have in large supply.

Kreistor
2007-04-23, 11:38 PM
What now? Time to rescue a corpse!

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-23, 11:40 PM
I hope his sister leads the team. Her fights with Thog would be awesome, as the two sexiest characters in the strip battle it out before finding their tru wuv.
Shut up. It'll happen.
I'll fight you.

Kreistor
2007-04-23, 11:51 PM
Uhm... yeah... okay, sure that could happen... disregarding his sister isn't in Azure City, Thog is in jail, and they're about as sexy as a kick in the teeth. Right, you find busted teeth on the floor sexy... I'll keep that in mind later. 8)

UltimaGabe
2007-04-24, 12:51 AM
There is a spell that will raise a character as long as it is cast within 10 rounds of death. I think it is from the Spell Compendium.

It's Revivify, and it has to be cast within one round of their death. Even if the Talisman WERE broken, there's no reason Celia would appear and immediately know what to do, let alone have the resources (or even the power) to do that immediately.

Speaking of which, why is everyone assuming Celia's at least a 9th-level Cleric? Since when do random outsiders have the ability to Raise Dead?

Jazzvader
2007-04-24, 12:58 AM
Since the Giant needed them to of course. If Celia doesn't randomly get that ability then she could fly Roy up to a high level cleric and get him raised

Tharr
2007-04-24, 01:08 AM
He might be saved by one warrior from Azure city and cohort get his magical sword. They go back in time save the world and Roy by changing time.

Alair
2007-04-24, 01:57 AM
I'd think smart money at this stage is on the "Turned into an undead" option. The dragon was flying out toward the enemy encampment at the time Roy beheaded it and the battle's a siege; there's no reason why any of Roy's allies would be leaving Azure city any time soon. Add in that Redcloak just recently sent out a wave of evil clerics to start raising undead and the only likely wrinkle might be if Celia gets summoned and is able to save his body. Still, it doesn't look like her talisman broke in the fall, so...

NeonRonin
2007-04-24, 07:32 AM
Here's a thought. If Roy does become an undead, wouldn't that cause a conflict of interest with his sword?

The sword gives off an aura that is 'particularly harmful to undead'... so if he gets turned into a curst or revenant or some other form of undead, wouldn't he have a bit of a hard time even HOLDING the sword, much less swinging it in battle?

Just a thought.

factotum
2007-04-24, 07:44 AM
The sword gives off an aura that is 'particularly harmful to undead'... so if he gets turned into a curst or revenant or some other form of undead, wouldn't he have a bit of a hard time even HOLDING the sword, much less swinging it in battle?

The green aura only seems to be around the blade of the sword when we've seen it go off, not the hilt, so I imagine he can still hold it just fine. Incidentally, what exactly is a revenant? People have mentioned them several times, but I'm a bit out of the loop as far as 3rd edition D&D goes and I've never heard of them.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-24, 01:39 PM
The green aura only seems to be around the blade of the sword when we've seen it go off, not the hilt, so I imagine he can still hold it just fine. Incidentally, what exactly is a revenant? People have mentioned them several times, but I'm a bit out of the loop as far as 3rd edition D&D goes and I've never heard of them.

They were in the Monsters of Faerun supplement (as incidently is Cursed, the other template NeonRonin mentioned) and not updated in Lost Empires of Faerun (which updated Curst and a few other Monsters of Faerun beasties). They're basically unkillable creatures of vengeance and wrath. No really, utterly unkillable.

taraxia
2007-04-24, 03:04 PM

Not to mention Roy would probably do anything, including clinging desperately to this earth in the form of a tortured ghost, to avoid joining his dad in the afterlife and getting another lecture.

taraxia
2007-04-24, 03:07 PM
Kicking Xykon's butt would require... well... substance. Not something ghosts have in large supply.

Yes. It would put Roy in more or less the same position that his father is in now. Irony is fun!