PDA

View Full Version : The Wind Blade

Corncracker
2007-04-23, 10:01 PM
First off, thank You Gralamin for mentioning this forum and the Guide to Homebrewing for me. I wasn't able to get back to my thread, or this forum for that matter, recently. I've reworked the setup for one of the Class's I was making, and since it is no longer going to be a Class made specificly to be above average, I've fixed it up.

Because the other thread was so old, I decided it was probably best to remake one.

HD: D10

Class Features: Simple and Martial Weapons, Light Armour.

skill Points: (2 + Int Modifier) X 4

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Handle animal, Hide, Move Silently, Ride, Tumbel, Use Rope

Starting Gold: 6D4 X 10 (150)

Description: The windy peak of the mountain are generally Baron. The violent winds prevent most from ever living there. However some see this wind as a power to be harnessed. Those who believe this rise to these peaks, learning the ways of the wind. Living in its harsh enviroment, they grow strong as their body’s begin absorbing small traces of the trace magical energies that infuse it. They train themselves to harness this energy to become a force to be reckoned with, just like the wind itself.

The Wind Blade
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Wind Song 1/Day

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Song of the Sky (20ft)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Wind Edge 1/day

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Wind Barrier 1/Day

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Wind Song 2/day

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Wind Edge 2/day

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Song of the Sky (30ft)

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Wind Barrier 2/day, Soothing Wind +1 1/day

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Guiding Wind +1, Wind Edge 3/day

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Wind Song 3/day , Improved Wind Song

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Wind Guardian

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Wind Barrier 3/day, Wind Edge 4/day

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Ariel Mastery

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Song of the Sky (40ft)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Wind Song 4/day, Wind Edge 5/day

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Wind Barrier 4/day Soothing Wind +2 2/day

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Ariel Pounce

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Wind Edge, 6/day

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Guiding Wind +2

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+9|
+12|
+6|
+6|Wind Barrier 5/day, Wind Song 5/Day, Master Wind Song[/table]

Class Abilities:

Wind Song: The Wind Blade may Call up his wind Song ability to Create a Wind shield around his body for the attackers Round. This Barrier Grants a +1 AC Bonus. It is called when the attack is called against them, not after they know if it would hit or not. They May Use this ability once per day at level one, twice at level Five, three times at level ten, four times at level fifteen, and five times at level twenty.

Song of the Sky: At second level, the Wind Blade becomes in tune with the winds of the skies. He may use the wind to take off into flight. A number of days equal to his Dex Modifier, the Wind Blade may gain the ability to fly with Full Mobility for 1 Minute. If the duration ends while the wind blade is still in the air, he acts as though he has Feather fall until he reaches the ground.
The fly speed is 20ft at 2nd level, 30ft at 7th level, and 40ft at 14th level.

Winds Edge: At 3rd Level, the power of the Wind amplifies the Damage of your blade. 1/day you may call upon the forces of wind, empowering your blows. You may add your Dex Modifier to the Damage of your attack (Min of 1). At 6th level this increases to 2/day, 3 at 9th, 4 at 12th, 5 at 15th. And 6 at 18th.

Wind Barrier: At Fourth Level The Wind Blade Gains the ability to Summon forth a Wind Wall around him as a Standard Action Once per day. He cannot move After he summons the Barrier. The Wind Barrier covers a Five foot Radius around the User. All Projectiles and Ranged Weapons (Excluding Magic/Psionics) miss their target if they are within the Barrier. All Tiny Creaters within the Area must Make a Strength Check DC 10 in order to remain in the area each wrong, or be forced out of the Square. Ranged attacks may be fired out of the Field, but suffer a –5 penalty to attacks. All Melee attacks made within the Wind Barrier Suffer a –2 on attack rolls. This ability Lasts for 2 rounds after use. This counts as a Supernatural ability. At 8th level It goes up to 2 times per day, 3 times at 12th, 4 times at 16th, and 5 times at 20th.

Soothing Wind: At 8th level, the Wind Blade can summon up a wind Aura for 4 + Your Wisdom Modifiers rounds(Min 2). Every round 1 hp is restored. You may use this ability 1/day. And 16th level this bonus Goes up to Plus 2, and may be used twice per day.

Guiding Wind: At 9th Level, every attack past your first is guided by a Celestial Wind. If your first attack hits, you gain a +1 bonus to all attack rolls made After your initial attack. This bonus improves to +2 at 18th Level. See chart below.
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|
9th|+9/+5
10th|+10/+6
11th|+11/+7/+2
12th|+12/+8/+3
13th|+13/+9/+4
14th|+14/+10/+5
15th|+15/+11/+6
16th|+16/+12/+7/+2
17th|+17/+13/+8/+3
18th|+18/+14/+9/+4
19th|+19/+17/+11/+6
20th|+20/+18/+12/+7[/table]

Improved Wind Song: At Tenth Level, The Bonus Wind Song Grants improves to +2 AC instead of +1.

Wind Guardian: At 11th Level, the Wind Blade learns to summon up the wind to extinguish flames. A number of days equal to his dex modifier, (Minimum of 1) the Wind Blade can Call Fourth a powerful wind that blows out all fire in a five foot radius, both non-magical and Magical alike. In Addition, Wind Guardian my be used to negate the effects of Fire spells targeting himself or any square he threatens. By expending a use of Wind Guardian, he makes an attack roll. If his Attack roll is greater than the attackers, the spell is negated. However if the spell has no attack roll, such as a Fireball, the DC is the Save DC + The Casters Dex Modifier. All secondary effects of the spell are negated as well.

Wind Guardian may only be used if the Wind Blade has a weapon he is proficient with in his hands, and may not be used any time he is denied his Dex bonus to his AC.

Air Mastery: At 13th Level, the Wind Blade learns to take advantage of his Ariel abilities. As long as the Wind Blade is airborne all other airborne creatures suffer a -1 to attack and damage rolls against the Wind Blade.

Ariel Pounce: At 17th level, while Airborne the Wind Blade masters Ariel Combat. Making a move action, so long as the Wind Blade moves at regular speed he may make a full attack as a standard Action.

Master Wind Song: At 20th Level, the Wind Song is truly Mastered, now Granting a +3 Bonus to AC.

Corncracker
2007-05-02, 07:49 PM
Anyone? Please?

Matthew
2007-05-14, 09:25 PM
Seems kind of weak to me. I like the concept, though.

Corncracker
2007-05-15, 02:20 AM
Any Ideas at what to fill in the Dead Levels with than?

DracoDei
2007-05-15, 11:02 AM
Does Wind Song last for a full round?
Guiding Wind effects attacks past the first in a COMBAT, or past the first during a full attack action? If the second you should include the effects into the BAB progression as well as consider the effects of combining it with Two-Weapon Fighting ("I hit him with my Right hand sword for at -2 to hit, now I hit him with my left hand sword at -2 to hit for dual-weilding any +3 for Guiding Wind...")

Corncracker
2007-05-15, 07:05 PM
Wind Song I think I will make last a full round, though as it stands it lasts only Vs. One attack of your choosing.

And yes, it is the second one you mentioned. I'll get to putting in a chart on that in a minute.

Matthew
2007-05-20, 04:24 PM
Hmmn. I think, given the theme of the Class, some sort of Movement enhancing Feats associated with the wind would be appropriate. Maybe even flight by virtue of the wind.

Corncracker
2007-05-20, 09:02 PM
Perhaps 20ft fly speed second level, 30ft Seventh level, and 40 ft 14 Level? In addition at 13th level bonus's to arial combat than?

DracoDei
2007-05-20, 10:44 PM
Might want to include the effects of Guiding Wind in the BAB progression...

Corncracker
2007-05-20, 11:07 PM
There is now a chart for the BAB on Wind Guidence. Also, what are the rules on fighting in air?

DracoDei
2007-05-20, 11:17 PM
Well, other than the maneuverability rules and some the special case of the Levitate spell nothing too specific that I know of, although it does mean that there are more adjacent squares (now cubes) to consider.

Corncracker
2007-05-20, 11:38 PM
Damn, still need to fix the saves.

Also, if we are now working with cubes, are there special rules for a whirlwind attack in Air? Say if enemies are right above and below you?

I haven't seen a rule for such things, though if those are threatened squares then whirlwind would effect them, however I doubt that would actually work due to common sense, so could you choose the direction you would like to spin to determine which enemies the Whirlwind attack would effect? That sounds like the most logical conclusion to me.

One more thing, I think I might add on a Good Reflex Save, as that suites the Class more than Fort. However, should I drop Fort Save to Poor, or keep it at Good?

DracoDei
2007-05-20, 11:45 PM
Who says you only do one full revolution on a Whirlwind Attack? :belkar:
I believe the term/image in the case of such a ruling would be "Death Blossom"... except in that case (if you followed the image strictly) you would qualify as exhausted for the next round... :smallbiggrin:

Corncracker
2007-05-20, 11:47 PM
Meh, its seems odd eitherway, as I don't think they had air born whirlwind attacks in mind.

Again though, I decided ot Add REflex as a Good Save, but still don't know if I should drop the Good for to a Poor one.

Matthew
2007-05-24, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I think a Flying Whirlwind Attack should affect everyone around you, both above and below. The feat is so lame and the situation so improbable, that it might as well. On the other hand, if you are using the Alternate facing Rules, it might be necessary to limit this.

So far, I'm liking these changes. I would like to see them updated and incorporated into the Base Class. On the other hand, in some ways I feel this ought to be a Prestige Class...

Dryad
2007-05-24, 02:14 PM
Ehm.. Perhaps an effect that always allows for a reflex save against fire effect, as long as you retain your dex mod? Splicing fire would use a sweep of a sword, and create the wind needed, to part the fire, even if it is a ray/ranged touch, as you can simply sweep away the flames with.. Wind!
That would seem like a nifty trick, to me...

The class kind or reminds me of a character in the anime-series Tokio Underground. Me likey. And yes, it's a bit weaker in many things than other close combat classes. But you trade in strength for tricks, and that's got my vote all for it!

Corncracker
2007-05-26, 06:12 PM
How about these additions.

11th Level - Wind Gaurdian - At 11th Level, the Wind Blade learns to summon up the wind to extinquish flames. A number of days equal to his dex modifier, (Minimum of 1) he may summon up a blast of wind that puts out all non magical fire in a 5 foot radius. This ability may be used to counter the effects of magical fire as well, including spells such as Fireball and scorching Ray. If the Wind Blade makes his Reflex Check, he may expend one use of Wind Guardian to dispel the attack. (Perhaps better Wording would be nice, if it needs more explaining please say so and possibly offer a nicer wording.)

13th Level - Air Mastery - At 13th Level, the Wind Blade learns to take advantage of his Ariel abilities. As long as the Wind Blade is airborne all other airborne creatures suffer a -1 to attack and damage rolls against the Wind Blade.

17th Level - Ariel mastery - At 17th level, while Airborne the Wind Blade masters Ariel Combat. Making a move action, so long as the Wind Blade moves at regular speed he may make a full attack as a standard Action.

Thoughts about Adding this?

Dryad
2007-05-26, 10:42 PM
I don't see air mastery, as such, but Aerial mastery.. Make it Aerial Pounce, and I'm all for it. (Meaning: You may use the pounce features, in order to gain a full attack sequence, after charging from an airborne position.) This would allow you to charge, gaining all the benefits of a charge, both to airborne and soilbound units.
I like the idea of Wind Guardian, but I'd allow a reflex save be made against ány fire effect, even if it normally doesn't allow for one. (Like ranged touch or alike.)

Corncracker
2007-05-26, 11:24 PM
I don't see air mastery, as such, but Aerial mastery.. Make it Aerial Pounce, and I'm all for it. (Meaning: You may use the pounce features, in order to gain a full attack sequence, after charging from an airborne position.) This would allow you to charge, gaining all the benefits of a charge, both to airborne and soilbound units.
I like the idea of Wind Guardian, but I'd allow a reflex save be made against ány fire effect, even if it normally doesn't allow for one. (Like ranged touch or alike.)
IT already can. Its why I included the example of Scorching ray, since Rays are ranged Touch attacks. OR should I alter it to say "This ability may be used against all ranged touch attacks." And also add in "Wind Guardian may only be used if the Wind Blade has a weapon in hand" and "Wind Guardian may not be used any time the Wind Blade is denied his Dex to his AC".

Dryad
2007-05-27, 03:17 PM
Whoopsie; my bad. *blushes*

Matthew
2007-05-28, 04:48 PM
Hmmn. I'm not sold on Guiding Wind, now that I think about it. Improving Iterative Attack Bonuses makes me uncomfortable in the context of 3.x.

Corncracker
2007-05-28, 06:34 PM
Hmmn. I'm not sold on Guiding Wind, now that I think about it. Improving Iterative Attack Bonuses makes me uncomfortable in the context of 3.x.

I think I see what you mean, my intention of that ability was using the power of the wind to keep a flow to your attacks, so this might make more sence.

Guiding Wind - At 9th Level, the Wind Blade learns to use the wind to keep a steady flow on his attacks. If his initial attack hits, all following Melee attacks Gain a +1 to hit at 9th level, and a +2 at 18th Level.

This sound better?

Matthew
2007-05-28, 06:53 PM
I think it ought to work like this:

Hit + Hit + Hit + Hit = 20/16/12/8

i.e. +1 for every hit to the next attack

but, any miss breaks this chain of attacks:

Hit + Miss + Hit + Hit = 20/16/10/6

Corncracker
2007-05-28, 07:05 PM
I think it ought to work like this:

Hit + Hit + Hit + Hit = 20/16/12/8

i.e. +1 for every hit to the next attack

but, any miss breaks this chain of attacks:

Hit + Miss + Hit + Hit = 20/16/10/6

That I like the Sound of. I'll wait for a couple more opinions first though, but I do indeed like that. The only thing I might alter to it is if you hit miss hit, the chain picks back up after the third hit.

DracoDei
2007-05-28, 07:21 PM
That has its advantages, but is slightly harder to keep track of.

Corncracker
2007-05-28, 07:26 PM
That has its advantages, but is slightly harder to keep track of.

Good point. I'll just drop the Idea of the Chain ending after the first strike. If the first strike hits, all following attacks get the Bonus. I'll call it good with that.

Corncracker
2007-05-29, 12:39 AM
Flavor Text now updated.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 01:04 PM
I think you mean barren, not Baron... right?

Corncracker
2007-06-13, 06:17 PM
Just a technicality.

Triaxx
2007-06-14, 08:25 AM
Perhaps the Wind Blade should be allowed to apply Song of the Sky if he's given the ability to fly through spell, or other effect, and push his manueverability up, or to full?

Matthew
2007-06-16, 04:31 PM
Just a technicality.

Eh? I don't quite understand this and you haven't actually changed the text:

Description: The windy peak of the mountain are generally Baron.

Is there a special meaning I am missing here?

Corncracker
2007-06-20, 02:37 AM
Eh? I don't quite understand this and you haven't actually changed the text:

Is there a special meaning I am missing here?

By Technicality, I basicly said it wasn't a big deal. I did mess up in the text, but didn't change it as I was rushed for time and haven't been able to connect for a while. I might change it here soon, but its not really that pressing, so Ill change it when I make another update.

Also, It was meant to be the highest flight mobility, I just put full thinking that was it. I'll look it up here in a bit, but I have other things to do at the moment. Sorry for not responding earlier, but I've been disconnected a while. Thank you for pointing a few things out. When I edit in a while, I'll go ahead and add "If the Wind Blade is affected by anything that allows him to fly freely, he gains all benefits as if he were under the effects of the Song of the Sky until the duration of the spell ends."

Does this sound good, or a bit overpowered? I personally think its fine.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 10:05 PM
It sounds okay to me.