PDA

View Full Version : Would this make a Paladin fall?

Vinyl Scratch
2015-06-05, 08:45 PM
The neighborhood mage casts Grease under him.

frogglesmash
2015-06-05, 08:49 PM
Depends on what kind of neighbourhood it is.

Cruiser1
2015-06-05, 08:57 PM
The neighborhood mage casts Grease under him.
Only if the Paladin fails a Reflex save, and then a DC 10 Balance check while trying to walk out of the Grease. :smallwink:

Karl Aegis
2015-06-05, 11:28 PM
This is more of a build question than a class question. If you lose most of your class features when a first level spell is cast on you your build is probably bad.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-06-05, 11:32 PM
This is more of a build question than a class question. If you lose most of your class features when a first level spell is cast on you your build is probably bad.

To be fair, being prone removes most of any non-spellcaster's class features, for all intents and purposes. Especially at low level.

Venger
2015-06-05, 11:57 PM
get access to the sloth domain to mitigate the penalties.

gooddragon1
2015-06-06, 12:15 AM
Not if they have a method of magical flight that is like that of superman (read: the fly spell).

Scheming Wizard
2015-06-06, 12:21 AM
In 4th edition Paladins can't fall. I'm not clear if a Paladin jumping off a cliff would simply be immune to falling damage or if they would suddenly gain the ability to wind walk.

Venger
2015-06-06, 12:23 AM
In 4th edition Paladins can't fall. I'm not clear if a Paladin jumping off a cliff would simply be immune to falling damage or if they would suddenly gain the ability to wind walk.

just make a jump check at the ground and willingly fail.

gooddragon1
2015-06-06, 12:49 AM

I hypothesize it to be something like this:

http://blog.gilly.ws/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Cat-Toast.gif

Rawrawrawr
2015-06-06, 10:57 AM
Short answer: Maybe. Gravity in D&D isn't what you or I think of as "gravity." While they bear a passing similarity, gravity in D&D is open to interpretation and has various shades of gray, as can be seen with planar traits like Subjective Gravity or the Reverse Gravity spell, while in real life gravity is literally a cosmic force and fundamental building block of the universe.

Remember folks, gravity is different from [Gravity].

Venger
2015-06-06, 10:59 AM
Short answer: Maybe. Gravity in D&D isn't what you or I think of as "gravity." While they bear a passing similarity, gravity in D&D is open to interpretation and has various shades of gray, as can be seen with planar traits like Subjective Gravity or the Reverse Gravity spell, while in real life gravity is literally a cosmic force and fundamental building block of the universe.

Remember folks, gravity is different from [Gravity].

To say nothing of relative gravity, which changes from person to person, such as with false gravity. What's up for me may be down for you, since there's no such thing as objective gravity.

gooddragon1
2015-06-06, 02:01 PM
Speaking of gravity:

Given a paladin at 2000 feet up has the fly spell dispelled off of him, what rate does he fall in feet per round?

I've always wondered what the drop speed is.

Starbuck_II
2015-06-06, 06:28 PM
Speaking of gravity:

Given a paladin at 2000 feet up has the fly spell dispelled off of him, what rate does he fall in feet per round?

I've always wondered what the drop speed is.

60 ft/rd for 1d6 rounds, then 2000 ft - the amount already fallen instantly.
"Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the fly spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field. "

JDL
2015-06-06, 07:11 PM
Note however that Wind Walk doesn't provide the same protection as Fly for being dispelled. A Paladin that has Wind Walk and is dispelled would immediately begin to fall. This occurs at approximately 150 ft. in the first round and 300 ft. in the second round as detailed in Dungeon Masters Guide, page 20.

Threadnaught
2015-06-06, 08:02 PM
Non of these make a Paladin fall, these are all effects of the Atonement Spell, as the Paladin is humbled.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-06-06, 09:36 PM
let's see guy in heavy armor with a low base reflex and if he didn't use dex as a dump stat it probablly wasn't his first priority so I would say the paladin is on his back

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-06, 10:32 PM
But he has Divine Grace to back him up. Moving would be an issue though.

Spore
2015-06-07, 09:28 AM
If you polymorph him into an ooze, he can't fall. And on the plus side, he can devour screaming children. Sidenote: FLYING OOZES!

Threadnaught
2015-06-07, 10:42 AM
A Paladin usually falls at 0HP. Every Paladin who reaches -10HP or below, becomes an Ex Paladin. There are ancient battlefields filled with fallen Paladins.

I don't think the cosmic forces of Good appreciate the limitations of being mortal.

Elandris Kajar
2015-06-07, 02:21 PM
Every time a Paladin does not meet her goals, she falls short.

Venger
2015-06-07, 02:23 PM
A Paladin usually falls at 0HP. Every Paladin who reaches -10HP or below, becomes an Ex Paladin. There are ancient battlefields filled with fallen Paladins.

I don't think the cosmic forces of Good appreciate the limitations of being mortal.

this is a common misconception. gaining the dying or dead condition does not impose the prone condition. we all die on our feet in D&D

Elandris Kajar
2015-06-07, 02:31 PM
this is a common misconception. gaining the dying or dead condition does not impose the prone condition. we all die on our feet in D&D

This means that if you shoot a bird, it will hover forever. Whenever someone says they shot a duck out of the sky, they are lying, because this proves duck hunting a farce!

Venger
2015-06-07, 02:33 PM
This means that if you shoot a bird, it will hover forever. Whenever someone says they shot a duck out of the sky, they are lying, because this proves duck hunting a farce!

that's correct. the only way to get a flying enemy out of the sky is to trip him. this instantly teleports him to the ground beneath his square regardless of distance and also has the side effect of nullifying all falling damage.

Spore
2015-06-07, 04:01 PM
If a Paladin falls because of religious beliefs, because of reflex checks and because of heavy armor and imposed penalty on Balance, doesn't that make Paladins unbalanced? So in retrospect rogues ARE the most balanced class in the game!

gooddragon1
2015-06-07, 04:37 PM
If a Paladin falls because of religious beliefs, because of reflex checks and because of heavy armor and imposed penalty on Balance, doesn't that make Paladins unbalanced? So in retrospect rogues ARE the most balanced class in the game!

Actually, any class that can cast a spell to fly cannot fall unless their flight ends. Wizards, clerics, and druids are actually the most balanced classes as a result, though only at higher levels when they can cast those spells and have them last long enough.

anti-ninja
2015-06-07, 05:48 PM
but monks have balance as a class skill and good reflex saves ,so doesn't that make them the most balanced class in the game.:smallamused:

Elandris Kajar
2015-06-07, 07:20 PM
This means dwarves are the most balanced race, thanks to racial stability bonuses.

Namfuak
2015-06-07, 07:21 PM
We can't say what happens to the Paladin in the OP, but I know that every Paladin's least favorite season is Autumn.

Threadnaught
2015-06-07, 07:48 PM
We can't say what happens to the Paladin in the OP, but I know that every Paladin's least favorite season is Autumn.

Because of Falling Leaves?

What about Falling Snow in Winter?

Milo v3
2015-06-07, 09:36 PM
Because of Falling Leaves?

What about Falling Snow in Winter?

Because autumn is called Fall.

Zale
2015-06-08, 08:58 AM
As they say, The Paladin Goeth Before The Fall.

anti-ninja
2015-06-08, 03:06 PM
if the thought of falling is so scary then every paladin is afraid of heights:smallbiggrin:

Segev
2015-06-08, 03:14 PM
if the thought of falling is so scary then every paladin is afraid of heights:smallbiggrin:

Only after they've fallen; before then, they're immune to fear!

anti-ninja
2015-06-08, 03:56 PM
Only after they've fallen; before then, they're immune to fear! Unless there of freedom slaughter or tyranny ,they can't even look at building more then 5 stories high.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-06-21, 10:05 PM

Not the same type of falling. falling because of religious beliefs any charatater with a class or feat dependant on alignment is subject to this not just paladins. I once played an elf mage with fey heritage feats. I had to be careful not to be too lawful or I would loose those abilities.

As for the falling we are discussing in this thread it is the type caused by gravity which everyone is subject to.

While the former is usually fluff the latter is most certainly crunch

Venger
2015-06-21, 10:11 PM
Not the same type of falling. falling because of religious beliefs any charatater with a class or feat dependant on alignment is subject to this not just paladins. I once played an elf mage with fey heritage feats. I had to be careful not to be too lawful or I would loose those abilities.

As for the falling we are discussing in this thread it is the type caused by gravity which everyone is subject to.

While the former is usually fluff the latter is most certainly crunch

(psst, this isn't a serious thread)

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/483/894/463.jpg

atemu1234
2015-06-21, 10:26 PM
If you polymorph him into an ooze, he can't fall. And on the plus side, he can devour screaming children. Sidenote: FLYING OOZES!

What have you done.