PDA

View Full Version : Tips For My Starwars Campaign?

Appolo
2007-04-23, 10:18 PM
hey y'all1 i'm PC-ing in a starwars campaign (something i have never done before). any tips on playing a noble? i'd apprectiate any help at all, even if it's on the general running of the game. i've played DnD 3e and 3.5, but never stawars.

jjpickar
2007-04-23, 10:29 PM
Don't get in a fire fight (which is not really useful since it is a Star Wars game) and if you are in one hide behind a box. The noble's low hp will make you pretty much a one shot kill in early levels. Your combat abilities are kinda like a bard stay away and buff with inspire confidence and let the heavys bear the brunt of the fighting. Out of combat you should use your favor and resource access to give your party nifty stuff ("Who wants an X-Wing?" is a phrase that makes nobles popular). Like the bard you will also function as the party face so focus on your diplomacy skills and such. I love the Star Wars RPG and I hope you have fun with it.

Appolo
2007-04-23, 10:32 PM
yeah thanks. i'm starting at 1rst lvl...thought i might throw that out. any tips on how to RP a noble? what type of personalities have people found to work best? should i just rp him as a bard?

jjpickar
2007-04-23, 10:38 PM
Well the class is modeled after Padme' and Princess Leia so they will serve as the best examples. You want to come off a bit more sheltered, after all you've led a privileged life and haven't experienced the tough outer world. You could also consider dropping names of famous persons you've met or are related to. Above all, you have to figure out why your a noble. Are you an elected official, a scion of a royal family, the son or daughter of a head of a major company, or even a famous entertainer? This will make a decent start in determining what sort of person you want to be.

Lemur
2007-04-24, 12:24 AM
Nobles aren't necessarily like bards. They can be like them, if you're an entertainer, but generally their different. Nobles do share some things in common, such as being an ideal party face (except maybe in shady dealings), and providing support roles.

First of all, if you're a noble, you're important even if you're not really important- you're character should be extremely self confident in non-combat situations, especially social ones. In combat, they can be confident or cowardly, depending on your character concept.

Initially, at least, you probably won't be used to hardships (unless possibly you're character is a military officer, or officer-in-training) and will probably balk initially at the idea of lacking luxuries like climate control and lack of food, or suffering indignities like wading through sewers or crawling in the dirt. Don't take it so far as to endanger your life, but if there are alternatives, you might raise some objections.

One final thing: when you hit 3rd level, and acquire Resource Access, use it every day even if you don't have anything in mind at the time. You can save the resources gained for later, and providing extra credits is an important part of your class abilities and shouldn't be ignored. You can talk to your party about things they want, and contribute to them getting them this way. Equipment is an important part of Star Wars- from blasters to speeders to droids to starships, and the extra credits let you upgrade that much sooner. If all else fails, you can never have too many grenades.

Dervag
2007-04-24, 12:29 AM
If all else fails, you can never have too many grenades.

Unless you're fighting in an ammo dump. Then things get ugly.

Lemur
2007-04-24, 12:31 AM
Unless you're fighting in an ammo dump. Then things get ugly.

I disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :smallamused:

The_Snark
2007-04-24, 12:43 AM
In this case, the beholder has to be a considerable distance away to really appreciate it.

And yeah, seconded on the Resource Access use; unless you're on the run from the authorities, you ought to use it. I played a noble/scoundrel once, who was the son of some rich guy from a backwater planet. Ran off for a lark to see the galaxy, kicked around a while and picked up some useful skills (such as piloting).

Nobles can be good in a variety of situations, and they're about on par with the scoundrel and such in a fight- not bad, but don't stick around, either. Social skills are often good to have, and don't be afraid to call in a favor if you need a valued piece of information or a skill your party doesn't have.

"We need to hack into the base's security system, though, and none of us are near good enough to do that."

"Actually, I know a guy, worked with him on a freighter/met him at a cocktail party. Said he was going to set up a programming firm. He could probably help, and last I heard he'd set up shop around here."

The reasons vary for most nobles, but I always like giving them lots of connections; after all, you have the class ability to support it.

Appolo
2007-04-24, 04:25 PM
thanks. guys. my next session is on thursday. atm, we recently had a little scrape in the outer rim where my character got lost and after a LOT of failed search checks (i rolled 6 1's.) i got jumped and paralyzed. luckilly, i made it out of there alive using my charisma. (22 at lvl one) we're in a rusty old junker ship heading out. the party is a droid soldier, a wookie scout, a human soldier, and a scoundrel of some race i do not know. i'll keep u posted and keep those tips a-comin! (we're all still lvl 1)