PDA

View Full Version : The Sunless Citadel [IC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Kish
2015-06-06, 02:47 PM
Midmorning two weeks past midsummer, Oakhurst possesses an odd air of tension. The few people out and about hurry to their destinations with their heads down. Even Suga draws less attention than he's used to.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2dmdohs.png

Heavensfury
2015-06-06, 11:17 PM
A slender figure walks into town from the old, well-traveled trade road leading to Relnor Bay. The cloaked stranger peers about intently until he spots the worn sign identifying the hamlet of Oakhurst. Visibly relaxing, he throws back the hood of his cloak, revealing pointed ears and almond-shaped, mismatched eyes. At last he thought, rubbing shoulders that ached abominably from carrying his traveling satchel over more miles than he cared to remember.

Instinctively he starts looking for signs of an inn, imaging the comfort of a warm bath and soft bed, but quickly remembers how empty his purse has become of late. Sighing in resignation, he reaches into a pocket and withdraws the scrap of parchment on which he'd transcribed the details of the job posting that had brought him here. "Let's see, the post said to contact a...Kerowyn Hucrele" he mutters to himself in Elvish. Looking around at the squat, unremarkable human dwellings, he notices the General Store and hustles inside. Moving up to the counter and gesturing to attract the owner's attention, he calls out in accented Common. "Excuse me, could you please tell me where I might find a Kerowyn Hucrele? I have business to discuss with the merchant."

LuckyStrike
2015-06-07, 08:34 AM
A scantily dressed woman smiles at the stranger walking by and works her way inside the building where the healer lives. It seems quite the ordeal as she has her hands full with a huge assortment of plants and herbs.
The wreath on her head made from freshly picked wild flowers slides off over her face and falls down. She just manages to catch it with her big toe as she shoulders herself into the dooropening with some sort of unlikely body-twist and disappears into the building. The door slams shut with a loud bang and seems to shake the building slightly.

A few minutes later she steps out again, seemingly having dressed up a bit inside. She's wearing a functional leather armor without any unnecessary decorations, and a shortbow on her back. The wreath is again sitting on top of her head this time with her hair worn up, holding the wreath steadily in place.
She puts two fingers to her mouth and gives a short sharp whistle. A small viper slithers out from the grass by the side of the road and makes its way up and into the backpack she's carrying. Before the animal disappears they seem to have a momentary eye contact after which Remi looks in the general direction of the town and slowly shakes her head.
'There is sadness here..' She remarks quietly as she makes her way towards Kerowyn.

The Underlord
2015-06-07, 10:24 AM
From the northern road, a small, hooded figure arrives into town. I'm glad I didn't run into any elves. He moves as if to pull down his hood, but then he notices what clearly is the jail and shudders. Hopefully, there will be no need for that., As he walks through the town, his furtive movements seem to fit in with the town's natives, though he hardly notices. He passes next building, which was slightly bigger than the other's. That must be the mayor's house. He notices the well in front him and quickens his pace. He reaches the well and decides to sit down, back to the well, hiding himself from the rest of the town.

Lets see...... He pulls out a small parchment from his backpack. 'Help Wanted" it said. He turn it around and read the notes he had written down after questioning one of Hurcele's merchant buddies in Knurl. His house is between the mayor and the general store. Well, better not waste any time. Surely I am not the only one looking for work here He grunted as stood up. Damn this backpack. He looked around, taking note of the inn and the general store, He approached the building he assumed to be Hucrele's house and knocked on the door.

Cavir
2015-06-07, 10:22 PM
The caravan of wagons pulled into the village of Oakhurst. The lead trader, Skitzel Wolfswift, dismounted and left to barter with the locals. Suga stood on the wagon he rode on, looking around in a circle and taking in the smells all around. The locals kept their heads down and didn't notice the nearly 7 foot tall figure above them. Even though the well maintained studded leather armor and helm hid most of his skin, his height and build gave away that he was an orc. His dire axe, shield, and pack were on the wagon at his feet. There was no threat and internally he was totally calm, a break from his duties and hopefully there was a new path for him to take from here. Skitzel returned after a while and relayed what items to take from the wagons to take where and what to load up. There were hired hands for the loading and unloading but Suga hopped off and pitched in. He wanted to keep his strength up so the workout was welcome.

After the loading was complete, Master Wolfswift pulled Suga to the side. "Suga, there's a merchant here by the name of Kerowyn Hucrele. I don't know what's involved but she is looking for adventurers to hire. I mentioned you were looking. Se saw you carrying more than double than the others and is interested in talking. She's at the last building you were loading from."

Suga smiled and thoughts of potential paths raced through his mind. He nodded his head and took Skitzel's arm in a warrior's embrace. "Thank you." His voice was deep and loud. Even just the two words expressed more education than one would figure for an orc, which was still more than Suga had when the two first met. "I hope ours paths cross again. Stay safe." Suga said his goodbyes to a few of the others, grabbed his gear, and headed up to the merchant's place.

Kish
2015-06-08, 10:46 AM
Kieryian

The shopkeeper nods, looking unsurprised by the question. "Just follow the road for about twenty metres and then turn right. Matron Hucrele's house is bigger than any of the others--you can't miss it."

Kieryian, Remi, Aramil, Suga

Your directions bring you to a mansion; its size makes it stand out from the rest of the village. A butler greets each of you and shows you to a sitting room. "Matron Hucrele is hoping there will be a few more...adventurers," he tells you.

Kieryian arrives first (so the room is empty when he's shown into it), then Aramil, then Remi, and finally Suga.

Heavensfury
2015-06-08, 12:18 PM
Kieryian smiles politely to the butler before making himself comfortable in the mansion's sitting room. Looking through the reading material on display, he selects a treatise on trading concerns in eastern Oerik before taking a seat. He glances up from the book only when the others arrive, offering a nod of acknowledgement before returning to the text. He stiffens in alarm when Suga walks in, a natural reaction for one whose home has been at war with Orcs, both Pomarj and those of the Lortmils in times past, for many years. He quickly recovers his composure though, and offers him the same polite nod before returning to his studies. I'm not in Celene anymore, he reminds himself.

The Underlord
2015-06-08, 01:43 PM
Ararmil nods in response and walks into the sitting room, suppressing his wonder at the lavish surroundings. Rarely had Aramil been in such a place and even more rarely was he welcome there. He pauses as he notes Kieryian, but then decides to sits in the chair closest to the exit. He glances around at the books quickly, but decides to ignore them. He thinks about putting down his hood, but chooses not too as the others arrive. He's surprised at the orc's arrival, but notices the first elve's reaction. I wonder if they know each other. Aramil raises an eyebrow the viper entering with the other elf, though the hood hides it. Thinking for awhile, Aramil decides his best course of action is to wait for the others to arrive.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-08, 03:47 PM
'Hi.' Remi says as she walks in and sees two others. She strolls a bit throught the room looking and sometimes touching the odd object occupying the space.
She's a bit put off by the man reading and figures the one hiding is probably a bit scared and needs time to warm up for conversation.
She is empathetic to the silence until the fourth walks in. She looks up at Suga and looks amused. 'Bigger than old Skeeter'. She says. Just after the others have made their courtesies she moves in and takes his hand for a handshake. 'Hey there. Special pair of eyes you've got there.'

Cavir
2015-06-08, 09:12 PM
As Suga reaches the house he shoulders his shield and axe. Following the butler he removes his helm and enters the sitting room. He pauses inside the doorway and his attention is attracted by the elven male's tense reaction. Suga stays serene which seems to settle the elf and they both politely nod to each other. Suga notices the hooded (elven male too?) figure noticing the initial non-verbal interaction but before he can look closer he is welcomed by the elven female. He carefully blends with the handshake, her hand tiny compared to his. "Hello. Yes, never seen another orc with eyes like mine." He nods in greeting to the hooded figure then addresses the group so far. "I'm Suga.

Suga moves across the room gracefully with his large pack and shouldered axe and shield, avoiding furniture and occupants with barely a thought. Even if the others had been standing he would have towered over them. With them sitting it made the difference that much greater. He drops his stuff in the back corner out of the way. The thud of the pack is surprisingly heavy for the ease that the orc was hefting it. Suga takes a seat near his gear, not wanting to scare anyone coming in and is careful not to damage the fine furniture with the items still on him.

All elves? Not what I would have guessed.

Kish
2015-06-09, 11:41 AM
About ten minutes later, a distinguished human woman of about forty walks in. "Four of you? I was hoping for at least one or two more; four was the number...Hello," she addresses you, her eyes glancing over each of you before settling on Remi. "I'm Kerowyn Hucrele."

Cavir
2015-06-09, 12:51 PM
As the lady enters Suga stands up to his full height. "Hello. I believe you already know that I am Suga."

Kish
2015-06-10, 12:02 PM
"I'm pleased to meet you, Suga," the woman says politely, seeming only slightly disturbed by Suga's countenance. "So yes. I've called you here because--I should start at the beginning." She sits down and takes a deep breath before continuing, "The goblins--no wait, the beginning's the citadel." She takes another deep breath. "I don't know how much you know, so I'm going to assume you're completely unfamiliar with the area's history."

"There is a local ruin, called the Sunless Citadel hereabouts, by the Old Road. Some centuries ago, the great red dragon Ashardalon cast the citadel down, drove it into the earth, and scorched the whole area surrounding it. Some time later, an aggressive tribe of goblins moved into the ruin and used it as a base from which to raid caravans traveling by the Old Road."

"After the New Road was built, about a decade ago, a band of the goblins came to town and offered to sell an apple which would cure any ill. They demonstrated that the apple actually worked, someone bought it, and they left. After that, they kept coming back every midsummer with a new apple to sell. This past midsummer, they got into an altercation with the mayor; he accused them of stealing the shrubs he had tried to grow from the apples' seeds. The warband leader stabbed him through the chest. He died almost instantly."

"After that, some people got together an adventuring party to go to the Sunless Citadel and find out what the source of the magic fruit is. My two younger siblings were part of that party. That was over a week ago; I would have expected them to come back to the village before now under any circumstances, unless they were dead or captured."

Heavensfury
2015-06-10, 01:12 PM
"I assume you are concerned over the fate of your siblings, and would like us to travel to this ruin to ascertain their fate for you?" Kieryian asks, eyes alight at the thought of exploring this historical site.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-10, 01:41 PM
'Apple Magic is the magic of trust.'Remi says, having freed herself from the woman's gaze she now stares out the window.

'Apples ripen mostly at once and in great abundance. They keep well over winter and provide nourishment when freshly-grown bounty is scant. In this way, they teach us to embrace great waves of abundance knowing that although lean times will come we will be sustained. Apple magic is the magic of trust through abundance. Trust your siblings will return and nourish the thought well. It shall pay off.

It takes about six to ten years for an apple tree to bear her first fruits; being a softwood tree, her growth is fairly rapid. A fully-mature tree will blossom in early spring and the resulting apples will be ready for harvest within three to six months, depending on the variety. Projects begun under the apple can be expected to be fruitful on a similar scale.'

She turns away from the window to face Kerowyn.

'What we send into the world will grow when the conditions are right. Apple Magic is the magic of trust. I'm looking forward to investigating this sunless citadel.'

The Underlord
2015-06-10, 03:22 PM
Aramil ponders for a second and then come to a decision."This task seems reasonable. Of course, there is the issue of compensation." states Aramil while looking over his new companions.

Cardea
2015-06-10, 06:55 PM
Eyes open, feet forward, smell. Look. Villagers, scampering, moving to get to a place, not to move. There is no leisure in their stride. They know where they are. Except them. Elf. Some kind of elf. Dozens of kinds, couldn't know what kind in particular. No armor. Looks frail. Another elf? Less elf like. Half-breed, maybe. This one has armor. Weapons. No one else here has had weapons, except for... the orc. No other orcs around here except for it, so far, and there it is, standing tall and strong. Leather. Shield. Axe. Nasty axe. And... and another elf. Too many elves. Is there a gathering of elves? Are the elves here to mess up an orc? No, that'd be stupid. They'd do it be ambush, maybe. No, they're too equipped. They're scattering. And reforming, and entering a house. They're in there. Longer in there than elsewhere. Maybe... maybe they're here for the merchant job as well.

Urnin undoes her scarf, loosening it from her head, and letting it fall around her neck. She does her bow's string and places it in its sling on her back, and makes her way across town to the house the four of them entered. She'd try and weasel for food, a bed. Its been a long while since she had a good pair of those. Not since the sands. This place was too cold for her. She knocked once, twice, thrice, and waited. She swept her hair back, straightened up, and waited. She took off her gloves, wiped her face, and waited.

Beam
2015-06-10, 10:41 PM
Jaluk

The young rogue wasn't particularly impressed with the town of Oakhurst. The word 'town' is being generous. Still and all, doesn't have to be a bustling metropolis for there to be opportunity, he muses. He stopped at the Old Boar Inn for a little refreshment and couldn't help but notice everyone's tension. "Say old-timer." he says to a wizened old farmer after a couple drinks. "Some trouble around here? I may be able to help. I'm Jaluk the Nimble. Noted doer of daring deeds." The old man snorts and replies that if the young little braggart thought he had what it took he'd run off to the Sunless Citadel after the missing fools like Kerowyn Hucrele was hiring for.

"Sunless Citadel, huh? Sounds promising. Thanks old-timer." Jaluk says, tossing the old man a silver. "Where do I find this Kerowyn Hucrele?"

A short time later, Jaluk walks up to the small mansion Looks like the nicest place in town. Good. No need for charity work he thinks. He sees a dusky woman with a bow already knocking at the door. "Ho there." He cheerfully hails. "I'm not too late am I?"

Cardea
2015-06-10, 10:52 PM
A man. Human. Smaller than her. Leather armor. Finesse weapons. Skirmisher? No, thief. Scoundrel. Paler, too. She glances back at the door. "You are. I waited until the other four entered. I did not wait long enough, apparently. Two elves, a half-elf, and an orc, in case you were wondering."

Beam
2015-06-11, 12:45 AM
Jaluk

"Two and a half elves and an orc. Good. The more the merrier. If we're lucky I mean."His eyes look over the building. "Nice place, isn't it?"

Kish
2015-06-11, 10:13 AM
Urnin, Jaluk

A butler opens the door. "More adventurers, good, come in," he says. He leads you to a sitting room has five people in it, one, a well-dressed human woman of about forty, sitting facing the other four.

Suga, Remi, Kieryian, Aramil

Before Kerowyn can speak again, the butler comes back with two new arrivals.

Cardea
2015-06-11, 11:41 AM
As they walk in, Urnin speaks to Jaluk, in a whisper. "Two and a half elves? Does that make this group two and a half humans as well?" She stares at the woman, meeting any gaze thrown, as she enters with the thief. "Urnin. Archer. What have we missed?"

Beam
2015-06-11, 05:34 PM
That... is the biggest, ugliest orc I've ever seen. Looks like he could tear me in half with a flick of his wrist., he marvels. The elfier types looked competent enough as well.

"Hello all. Miss Hucrele. Jaluk the Quick at your service." He says with a small bow.

Cavir
2015-06-11, 08:42 PM
Suga sat back down when the host did. When the two new arrivals come in he gazes at each while they in turn took notice of those already assembled. Urnin the archer, very useful for dealing with distant goblins while I deal with the close ones. Jaluk he says... seemed intimidated when he looked my way. The Quick? That will be an interesting challenge.

He nods at both from his chair. "Hello. Miss Hucrele was just telling us of a tribe of goblins nearby among ruins causing trouble. Some of her family went to recon but haven't returned.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-12, 03:42 PM
The viper has coiled around her arm and it seems to be sleeping with his head laid down on the back of her hand. It could pass for a well made piece of jewelry since it doesn't seem to move at all. Only when Jaluk and and Urnin enter its eyes spring open and slowly close again as Remi scratches the back of its head softly.

Kish
2015-06-12, 04:44 PM
The woman smiles welcomingly at the new arrivals. "Yes, thank you. I am Kerowyn Hucrele, and as Suga says, I'm hoping to hire a group of adventurers to rescue two of my siblings, who went to a local ruin inhabited by goblins and have not returned."

She looks at Aramil and says, "If you can bring back my siblings intact, I'm willing to pay you two hundred and fifty gold pieces each, for each of them. If--if they're dead, you'll know their bodies by the gold signet rings they were wearing, like mine." She holds up her ring finger to display the signet ring in question. "I'll pay half as much, one hundred and twenty-five gold pieces each, for the signet rings and knowledge that they're not coming back."

Beam
2015-06-12, 08:38 PM
Jaluk

Five hundred alive, two fifty dead. Not bad. Let's hope they're alive for a couple different reasons.

"My lady, that seems like a generous price and excellent cause. What are their names and descriptions, if I could inquire?" He asks.

Heavensfury
2015-06-13, 11:54 AM
Kieryian wouldn't pretend that the offered gold didn't hold a certain appeal, and he was not unmoved by the matron's desire to learn the condition of her erstwhile kin, though he was drawn to this quest at least as much by the opportunity to explore this ruin. Sure it had only been cast down a couple centuries ago, not a terribly long time in the eyes of an elf, but who new what lost lore may be buried in this Sunless Citadel. "The quest is noble and the price is fair. I too will accept this contract." He states, standing and nodding towards the tardy human who first offered his services. "A description of their appearance would be most helpful, as well as any details about who else journeyed with them."

Cavir
2015-06-13, 05:19 PM
Suga

"I've been on the wrong side of goblin raids and ambushes. It will be good to take the fight to them! I'm in. It's obvious what I bring to a fight. Not so obvious of others- what can you do in a fight? Don't want someone who will run at the first sight of blood."

The Underlord
2015-06-13, 08:27 PM
While Aramil showed no outward reaction to the reward, his heart felt like it leaped with joy. For a poor thief like he used to be, that sum was almost impossible to earn, save for an incredibly lucky pickpocket attempt or a gullible scam target. People with that kind of money tended to want retribution. Hopefully I can keep finding jobs like these.

"I concur with most of the others as far as the price, but one last question, do you happen to any have any of these magic apples or even one of those shrubs? I sure between the six of us we might be able to discern something from one.

Aramil turns to Suga. "As far as a fight, I'm sure my rapier or bow will be enough to contribute. If not, I happen to be an Illusionist of no small regard". After a brief pause, he adds "My name is Aramil, by the way. Aramil Galondel."

Kish
2015-06-13, 09:17 PM
"Talgen was about half a foot taller than me. He was a warrior. Sharwyn was two inches shorter than me, and she was a sorceress. Both had brown hair. Oh--the others who were with them were an elven ranger named Karakas and a paladin named Sir Braford."

"I don't, I'm afraid," she replies to Aramil's question. "I was never involved in trading the apples or trying to grow the seeds. The new mayor might be able to tell you more; I believe the late mayor made a point of collecting all the seeds.

Cavir
2015-06-13, 09:24 PM
Suga

"Where is this Sunless Citadel? The Old Road? How far? Are there any maps to help us?"

Beam
2015-06-14, 09:25 AM
Jaluk

In response to Suga's query, Jaluk says, "I can sneak, I can open locks and doors, and..." he pats the hilt of his rapier, "I can fence well enough to put paid to any goblin."

He listens to the conversation. What's all this noise about apples?,he wonders. I'll ask later. That's what I get for showing up late

Cardea
2015-06-14, 10:17 AM
"Arrows." Urnin says, brushing off the question as best she can. "Suppose we find them, they are alive, and they do not wish to come?"

LuckyStrike
2015-06-14, 10:33 AM
'I'll take you up on your offer miss.' Remi says. She turns to Suga and continues. 'And dont you worry, pretty eyes. I dont need no damn babysitter either.'

She looks at Aramil and continues without waiting for a response from Suga. 'I'd love to talk to that new mayor and see if he has some seeds or fruits or anything in between left over.'

Heavensfury
2015-06-14, 04:48 PM
"Maps would definitely be helpful, good idea Suga." Kieryian says, nodding approving at the half-orc before turning to the elven woman. "I agree these healing apples are...intriguing, and perhaps when we find lady Hucrele's siblings, they will be able to shine some light on their mystery. And if they feel disinclined to come back with us, we will at least be able to assure Kerowyn of their condition, perhaps with some bit of information they share that will assure her of our honesty?" He turns to the merchant with a raised brow, silently asking if he guessed correctly?

"Oh," he adds, turning to the half-orc, "and as for what I would bring to this group. He steps closer to the warrior, looking up into his mis-matched eyes with his own. "I bring lore, common sense, knowledge of the goblin tongue, and in a fight...", he switches to the Orcish tounge, "I'll find a way to be useful."

The Underlord
2015-06-14, 07:30 PM
Aramil hears the words in Orcish, understanding them and smiling. Hah, two can play that game. Aramil switches to Orcish ad turns to Kieryan, ""I'm sure you will." Switching back to Common, he states, I believe I know everyone names now, except for my fellow elves." As a snide smile crawls onto his face, he switches to Elven and asks "What happed to be your names?"

Cardea
2015-06-14, 11:32 PM
["Speak the language of the host whose house you step in."] Urnin says, annoyed with the tones of cleverness, in Elvish. In Common, she continues. "If we are to move together, we should prepare. I can hunt for food, but we may need things for down below. Two of us should talk to the mayor, the rest should go for maps and any equipment we as a group may lack."

Cavir
2015-06-15, 05:36 AM
Suga sticks to speaking in Common. "Meant no offense. If fighting with others good to know what they can do to work better as a team. Goblins are weak but they work well with each other. Best not to underestimate either point, as my mentor would say. Map and supplies- a day away or 2 weeks away? Makes a difference. Need horses?"

Kish
2015-06-15, 01:00 PM
"The Old Road is the road leading out of town to the southwest; you can't miss it. The Sunless Citadel is seven miles from Oakhurst along the Old Road. I don't have a map, but it should be obvious when you approach it." She gives Urnin a boggled look. "If they want to stay permanently in a subterranean ruin?" she asks carefully as though she must have misunderstood the question somehow. After a minute she shakes her head and says, "If...anything unforseeable happens, come back and tell me."

Seven miles would take half a day of walking for creatures with a speed of 20, a quarter of a day for creatures with a speed of 30, or two or thee hours on horseback.

Beam
2015-06-15, 02:37 PM
"Seven miles? Just a stroll away. Does anyone see a reason not to go now? I have what I need. I guess we could leave early tomorrow morning, but I vote for right now." Jaluk seems eager to get to this ruin and poke around.

The Underlord
2015-06-15, 04:15 PM
Bemused at Urnin's tone, Aramil switches back to Common and replies "I would like to talk to the mayor as it seems like a poor idea to walk into this ruin without all of the available information." He turns to address Jaluk. "I" would prefer that we wait at least for a little while for us to talk to the mayor. And I seem to have misplaced some of my... equipment, so I would like to buy some replacements if possible. Besides, I'd rather arrive there during the night as I suspect these goblins will not welcome us."

Heavensfury
2015-06-15, 04:59 PM
"Stern lady, there is no harm in my games." he replies to Urnin in Sylvan, using a favorite saying of the mischievous fairy folk. Switching back to the common tongue, he addresses the group, "I agree that we should wait until daybreak tomorrow, as goblin-kin tend to shun the sun's light. Also, I would like to visit the local inn and see if there are any more stories or rumors about this Citadel. I can't imagine the group we intend to find are the first to have sought adventure in this ruin." "Oh," he turns to the cloaked half-elf, "and my name is Kieryian, of house Amarillis. Please forgive the faux pas, my manners appear to have fled in the face of all this excitement."

Cavir
2015-06-15, 09:01 PM
Suga

"More information is good, but the longer we wait the less chance for them. If you were them would you want us to delay? I do think we should hit them in the day. At night they will have the advantage of vision over most of us. I'm ready to go as soon as we talk to the Mayor."

"Matron Hucrele, could you get us in to the Mayor right away?"

Beam
2015-06-16, 11:54 AM
Jaluk

Jaluk sighs slightly. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to wait one more night. I'll go with you to see the mayor. These magic apples sound worthy of research."

Kish
2015-06-16, 12:06 PM
She nods. "That shouldn't be a problem. Just tell whoever answers the door that I sent you to speak to the mayor."

Heavensfury
2015-06-16, 12:47 PM
"In the interest of efficiency, I'll make my queries at the inn while you converse with this town's mayor. Perhaps we can share what we've learned after, and seeing how much time has passed, decide then when we will leave." Turning to their hostess, he offers a bow. "Thank you for the hospitality dear lady, hopefully we will soon return with word of your lost kin."

LuckyStrike
2015-06-16, 04:41 PM
Remi walks out without responding to peoples pleas for waiting until tomorrow or leaving straight away.
In her mind there was no group yet. It would take some time before these people got used to each other's smells. They were all so damn different she wondered if they would be capable of it. In any case it was best to let it happen naturally and she didn't have the inclination to force anybody one way or the other anyway.

Her dusty bare feet walk towards the mayors house along with some others as she muses about the apple. It's been a long time since she experimented, was it cider.. or applejack moonshine?

Cavir
2015-06-16, 07:46 PM
She nods. "That shouldn't be a problem. Just tell whoever answers the door that I sent you to speak to the mayor."

"Good. I'll head there too. Let's meet at the well in an hour? We all look to be quick on foot so if we move with purpose we can easily engage the goblins well before nightfall."

Suga grabs his gear, nods to the lady and heads out, matching his pace with whoever else is going, a seemingly stroll pace for him.

The Underlord
2015-06-16, 07:56 PM
"Well I guess we are leaving then." Aramil turns to Hurcele, and says "Thank you for your time." as he exits the house and hurries to catch up with those going to the mayor's house.

Cardea
2015-06-17, 01:44 AM
Urnin watches as the four of them leave, and when Jaluk finally leaves, she turns back to her new employer. "You gave us two possibilities for pay. Bringing them back alive, and bringing proof that they are dead. What can we do to prove they are alive, if they are unable or unwilling to come back? Yes, they might be in a ruin, but they might have plans to go elsewhere afterwards, and not return here."

Kish
2015-06-17, 10:26 AM
Kieryian

You arrive at the inn. About a quarter of the tables are occupied; the innkeeper looks over at you when you come in.

Remi, Suga, Aramil, Jaluk

Assuming you ask for directions to the mayor's house, you find it easily enough and are shown in to see the mayor, a surprisingly young man. "Adventurers? What can I do for you?" he asks.

Urnin

She looks incredulous about this line of inquiry. "If they're in the citadel, they plan on going somewhere else without coming to the village again or staying there, and you can't persuade them to come tell me where they are, come tell me what happened. Or have them write me a letter. If you can prove that that's what happened, I'll pay you as much as if you'd brought them back alive; I only care about them being all right."

Heavensfury
2015-06-17, 08:16 PM
Kieryian heads over to the bar and takes a seat, ordering a Honeymead from the innkeeper. After paying for the drink, he takes healthy swig and sighs contentedly. "Thank you goodsir, my travels have left me parched, and I am unsure when next I'll be able to enjoy such hospitality." He leans forward a bit and continues in a conspiratorial tone. "I'm part of a group that's been hired to explore an old ruin known hereabouts as The Sunless Citadel. I don't suppose you've heard any details about the place, perhaps from other adventures who've sought to find their fame and fortune in it's darkened halls?"

Not sure if it's pertinent when addressing a specific person, but just in case...
Gather Information: [roll0]

Kish
2015-06-17, 08:19 PM
"Other adventurers? Afraid not," the bartender grunts. He pauses and adds, "If you're here for Hucrele's commission, I'd guess she already told you the goblins sell an apple every year. The blacksmith bought the one last year."

Beam
2015-06-17, 09:37 PM
Jaluk

The rogue smiles merrily at the mayor. "We just came from the good lady Hucrele. She's hired us to search for her missing siblings at this "Sunless Citadel" place. You don't have any of those magic apple seeds around, do you? Or any information on those unpleasant little goblins?"

Kish
2015-06-18, 09:17 PM
"I don't. Until this past midsummer, my...predecessor...planted all the apples' seeds, and the goblins stole all the shrubs when they bloomed," the mayor replies. "As for what I know of the goblins themselves, only that I took over this job when they slaughtered the former mayor."

The Underlord
2015-06-18, 10:53 PM
Aramil seems disappointed. "So nothing left? That's too bad. Do you happen to know anything about the previous group who went to the Sunless Citadel?"

Kish
2015-06-19, 11:05 AM
"There were Hucrele's siblings, a warrior and a sorceress. And a ranger named Karakas. And one fellow from out of town, named Sir Braford."

Beam
2015-06-19, 06:25 PM
Jaluk

"These goblins..." Jaluk says, shaking his head. "They've really been terrorizing your town. They sneak in and steal at will. Murder your predecessor! I'm hoping we can help. Kill as many as possible, drive them off, wipe them out if we can." He looks up seriously. "I'm willing to risk my life to aid this town. We should bring back proof of our efforts. Do you think a bounty on goblin ears would be fair?"

Cavir
2015-06-19, 09:24 PM
Suga is behind his new "allies" but towers over them so much the mayor can't miss him or the dire axe strapped to his back. "The warband leader needs to fall. I hope he is a worthy challenge. Surprised they haven't raided homes since they are so close by."

Kish
2015-06-20, 09:56 AM
The mayor shakes his head, frowning. "I'm afraid I cannot endorse going after the goblins. Except for the recent incident they have left the town alone for over a decade, and the recent incident served to illustrate that they could slaughter us in a day if they chose. Don't misunderstand, this isn't a moral consideration--I wouldn't be sad if something wiped them all out--but for someone from this town to make an attempt to do so strikes me as far too dangerous for us."

He pauses to wipe his brow. "I--won't oppose Hucrele's desire to learn what happened to her siblings, but you'll have to look to her for reward."

When he says "won't," he means "can't," and it irritates him greatly that he doesn't consider himself able to oppose Matron Hucrele on that issue.

You're pretty sure he thinks the previous adventuring party is dead.

Heavensfury
2015-06-20, 11:57 AM
Hiding his disappointment behind another swig of the mead, Kieryian thanks the innkeeper for his time and considers his next move. The magic apples presented an interesting riddle, for he had never heard of such a thing before, but he was wary of letting their mystery distract him from the mission at hand. Still, he supposed the missing adventurers may have conversed with the Blacksmith before embarking on their quest, so talking with him or her may prove worthwhile. Finishing his drink, he nods his thanks to the Innkeeper, leaving him a small tip, and departs the inn, looking around the small town for the Blacksmith's shop.

How much would the mead and tip cost?

Beam
2015-06-20, 12:08 PM
Jaluk

[roll0] Sense Motive

"Yes, the "recent incident" wherein they murdered the town's mayor. That's fine. At least the lady Hucrele is standing up to them. Whether it scares you or not." He looks at his companions. "I don't think there's any more to learn from this fellow."

Cardea
2015-06-20, 01:12 PM
"Understood. Have a good evening, Miss Hucrele," Urnin says, exiting the abode, closing the door behind her. Her new associates would already be off, getting supplies or talking to the new mayor. She stands at the town's well, lifting the bucket up from the water to refill her waterskin. She takes stock of her own equipment, setting to make it ready for use. Her rope is tied to her grappling hook. She stitches a small tear in her bag, in her bedroll, adjusts her sashes. She fiddles with her bow, making sure the draw is tight but not stone. Anything to pass the time while they finish.

Kish
2015-06-20, 01:20 PM
Hiding his disappointment behind another swig of the mead, Kieryian thanks the innkeeper for his time and considers his next move. The magic apples presented an interesting riddle, for he had never heard of such a thing before, but he was wary of letting their mystery distract him from the mission at hand. Still, he supposed the missing adventurers may have conversed with the Blacksmith before embarking on their quest, so talking with him or her may prove worthwhile. Finishing his drink, he nods his thanks to the Innkeeper, leaving him a small tip, and departs the inn, looking around the small town for the Blacksmith's shop.

How much would the mead and tip cost?

Five copper.

It's easy to get directions to the blacksmith's shop. A male dwarf of indeterminate age, the blacksmith grunts, "What can I do for you?"

LuckyStrike
2015-06-20, 02:42 PM
Remi takes another look at the young man and replies to Yaluk while they walk away.

'I beg to differ, I think there is much to learn from this man. Perhaps nothing that will aid us in our endeavor at the moment but he seems quite sharp to me.'

She joins Urnin at the well and stretches out a bit while breathing deep and slowly.

The Underlord
2015-06-20, 03:48 PM
Sense motive [roll0]

"Even if he could, it does not seem like he wants to. But I agree he is very interesting." Without saying much, he turns away from the group and heads towards the General Store. He pauses before reaching the store to pull out a note given to him by an old friend, a wizened orc who had taught Aramil about magics. On it was the list of material components that he would needs for some of his spells. Wonder where my last set of these went. Aramil enters the store and takes a quick look around. Without saying a word. He takes a look around, grabs the item he needs and counts out 5 gold pieces to give to the owner. "Good day to you, sir"
I may or may not have forgotten to put a spell component pouch in my starting character sheet. :smallredface:

Cardea
2015-06-20, 04:53 PM
Urnin nods to Remi while finishes a stitch. Biting the thread off, she addresses the stretching elf. "You dodged the Orc's question very bluntly. Was that sass, or did you just wish to hide your talents?"

Kish
2015-06-20, 05:52 PM
The mayor flushes angrily at Jaluk's jab, but doesn't respond verbally. As you leave, he looks glad to see you go.

You can find and buy a spell component pouch quickly.

Cavir
2015-06-20, 08:45 PM
Suga

"No worries Mayor, none of us are from this town."

Suga leaves with the others and heads to the well. There, he refills and downs his water skin a couple of times while waiting on the rest of the group, leaving it full at the end. "I hope the others hurry. The daytime favors us, just a matter of who can and can't see in the dark."

Heavensfury
2015-06-21, 05:18 PM
Offering an amicable smile, Kieryian approaches the blacksmith. "Good day master..." he pauses, an obvious opening for the dwarf to offer his name. "I'm part of a group that's been hired to look into the missing Hucrele siblings. We've been told they took off to investigate the source of the magic apples brought here by goblins from a ruin called The Sunless Citadel. I was wondering if they perhaps stopped here first, for arms, armor, and perhaps any information you may have to offer as the most recent purchaser of the enchanted fruit? If so, I was hoping you could recall any conversations that you had on the topic, as it may aid our investigation."

Kish
2015-06-21, 06:13 PM
"Lutgehr. Rurik Lutgehr," the blacksmith replies. He wipes his brow and says, "They didn't ask me anything about that, nay. They did come in here, the Hucrele kids an' the elf, but they didn't buy anything unusual; splint mail, a longsword, a morningstar. The other one, the knight fellow, he already had all the equipment he wanted apparently. Really fancy sword, I noticed. But they didn't ask me about anythin' but business."

Heavensfury
2015-06-22, 07:56 PM
"I see. Thank you for your time Rurik Lutgehr, I wish you well." Glancing at the sun, Kieryian heads to the town's well to meet up with the others. Perhaps their efforts to learn more about the Citadel had gone better than his.

Kish
2015-06-23, 09:50 AM
You all meet back up at the well.

It's midafternoon now. Are you setting off for the Citadel?

Now would probably be a good time to work out:

1) A single-file marching order.

2) If different from the single-file one, a marching order for when you don't have to go in single-file.

3) A watch rotation.

Cavir
2015-06-23, 10:04 PM
Suga

While he is waiting, Suga says goodbye to the trade caravan he traveled with, deeply thanking Master Wolfswift for all he had done. He then meets back at the well.

"Good! We're all here. This time of year we still have many hours til dusk. We can walk and talk." Suga adjusts his pack and when he sees everyone is ready he heads out first. It's not hard to tell that he is shortening his stride a little to match the rest of the group.

We're all speed 30 or better. We should be in the area pretty quick.

Kish
2015-06-24, 10:06 AM
Actually, Urnin, Remi, and Aramil all have medium loads, giving them a speed of 20.
The Old Road is easy to find, as predicted. About two hours out of Oakhurst, you notice that the land you're passing no longer has plantlife; it looks scorched, blackened, and dead.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************************

The sun sets, and you need to produce some manner of light source.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************************

You catch a glimpse of an indistinct, squat figure at the edge of your darkvision. Whatever it is, it moves quite fast.

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. As you continue down the road, you come to a place where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep, but narrow, canyon. Your light illuminates two pillars and a third, broken, pillar. This is likely the former site of the Sunless Citadel.

You see several more pillars, most of them leaning against the sloped earth, a few lying broken on the ground, and the bases of several more that you suspect broke and fell into the canyon.

A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine. One of the leaning pillars has a sturdy knotted rope tied to it, dangling down into the canyon.

Beam
2015-06-24, 01:49 PM
Jaluk

"Why is it so desolate out here? Ancient curse or something?", He wonders aloud.

Heavensfury
2015-06-24, 08:09 PM
"The Citadel was laid to waste by the dragon Ashardalon." Kieryian replies to the curious human. "This kind of devastation is what one would expect to be wrought by an ancient Red. It's evil taints this land still." Even as he speaks this final pronouncement, he suppresses a shudder of dread.

"We should try to find where the previous group descended. Our best chance at finding them would be to follow their footsteps. Well, as best as we are able, anyways."

Cavir
2015-06-24, 08:25 PM
Suga

The large orc takes the lead at least initially. If anyone wants to take lead at times he doesn't resist it. His eyes are on the woods to either side and his nose occasionally raises high for a good sniff in the air. He wished the others had long legs like him. The journey would go much faster. Speed and strength are a mighty combination. He hoped those with him have their own powerful combinations. The fighters are obvious, but as they walk he tries to find out what magics may get cast from behind him so he knows what to expect. Knowing each others' skills is as important as knowing the enemy's.

As night falls and the others make use of light, Suga prefers to stay ahead out of the light and less of a target. He catches movement at the limits of his vision but it is gone just as fast. He points it out to the group and keeps his watch more to that area as the group continues.

The group reaches the ruins. Kieryian tells of the red dragon as Suga sees something of interest. "Does this dragon still live? How long ago did this happen- THERE. On the other side. A rope tied to a pillar, leading down." Suga takes in the scent of the area again.

Have Hunter's Scent on. Since it is my only stance it is always on short of being in a garbage pit or the like. What do I smell with the earlier creature and now that we've reached the pillars?

Kish
2015-06-24, 08:29 PM
I hadn't considered whether the creature was upwind or downwind of you. Let's find out; if this roll is a 1 it was upwind and just barely within scent range. [roll0]

It was sideways to the wind, beyond the range of your ability to smell it--beyond that you know it did not have a strong or overpowering scent.

You can smell nothing noteworthy here, at the ravine.

The Underlord
2015-06-24, 09:03 PM
Aramil takes a look around, and has thoughts similar to Jaluk. Unlike Jaluk, he has the capacity to check. With a dramatic wave of his hands and a few, muttered phrases, his eyes glow with magic as he takes long and hard look around. Perhaps the apple's properties are related to the earth itself. After investigating the Earth, he turns his magical attention to the pillars, scanning for signs of magic.

I cast Detect Magic, and study the area for a minute (10 rounds IIRC).

"A rope? That is probably how the previous group dealt with this canyon. But how to reach it?" he muses.

Kish
2015-06-24, 09:05 PM
You detect no magic.

It occurs to you that if you walk a little way back the way you came, the ravine will narrow enough that it can easily be jumped across, or even stepped across.

Cavir
2015-06-24, 09:27 PM
Suga

Suga looks down, trying to see the bottom and if there are signs of anything down there. He'll tell the group what he sees then suggest going around. At the far side he'll use scent around the area, trying to catch the scent of the previous party and if they left anything behind up here. On reaching the rope he'll inspect/test it and look downwards again.

"Anyone want to go first?"

Kish
2015-06-24, 09:29 PM
You see a rough ledge about fifty feet down.

You don't smell any traces of the previous party, but you wouldn't really expect to smell traces of three humans and an elf who were there over a week ago outdoors.

Beam
2015-06-24, 10:38 PM
Jaluk

The young rogue stands next to Suga and peers into the pit. "Well, I'm not volunteering to go first. Let's see if anything notices this." He takes his sunrod and drops it into the pit.

Kish
2015-06-25, 09:59 AM
Jaluk's sunrod falls to the ground below you with a clang followed by several squeaks. You see a three-foot-long rat come over to the brightly glowing thing, sniff it, and then pick it up in its mouth. The rat starts to carry the sunrod off. Another rat meets that one, you hear a crunch, and suddenly the sunrod is dark.

You still see the rats carrying the pieces of the sunrod in opposite directions.

I hope that wasn't the only light source you had lit.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-25, 10:57 AM
On the way to the ruins Remi chats freely with those who feel for it. She speaks easy, in an unabashed and frank manner about where she comes from and why she travels. She speaks of herbs and cooking, the moon and its effect on man and animal. Small things and big things and all sorts of other things neither big or small.
She says she wants to become a wise old lady like her mother before her, able to listen to the world around her. She says she can summon animals and have vines and roots shoot out of the ground to grab whoever is in the area and she can heal some injuries but that there are much wonderful things beyond her power.

When Jaluk drops the sunrod, she picks up a small stone from the ground and casts light on it and hands it to Jaluk.

'The first trick I ever learned. I use it to lure the bloodsuckers away from my cabin. Anything to get rid of those damn swamp mosquitos.'

Heavensfury
2015-06-25, 11:10 AM
Pleasantly surprised by Suga's inquisitive nature, Kieryian addresses his questions as the group heads over to the knotted rope. "The dragon was slain centuries ago, though it's legacy survives even to this day, exalted by twisted fools who mistake power for divinity."

Like the others, he eagerly watches the sunrod fall to the ravine's bottom, and gasps softly at the size of the revealed rodents. He winces when the sunrod is destroyed, for such alchemical tools are not cheap. "Perhaps they would be less inclined to chew a lit torch..." he turns to see Remi already offering a stone infused with magical light, "or that works too I suppose. Should we try to take them out with bolts and arrows before descending? They do not seem shy about investigating things teeth-first."

Beam
2015-06-25, 12:20 PM
Jaluk

"Blast it! Those things are expensive. Jaluk says. "Thanks." He mentions to Remi as she hands him the lit stone. "I'm afraid I don't have a bow, but does Urnin or whoever else can shoot want to aim down before I drop this thing in?"

Cavir
2015-06-25, 09:31 PM
Suga

Suga reaches out to grab the sunrod as Jaluk drops it but really going for it probably would have knocked Jaluk over the edge. He watches the sunrod fall and be taken apart.

"I hope those things aren't the goblins' pets. They'll be ready for us if so." He watches the rats with their new toys. The warrior studies the tactical choices. "They are moving in both directions. They probably have multiple entrances to the ledge. I wouldn't drop that stone, they'll probably just carry it off too. We have plenty of rope. We could add another line or more and go down 2 or 3 at a time while others shoot from above. Or I go down there and you all cover me- I can do it but don't want to cheat any of you out of some fun. Or we camp here til morning when we can all see where we are going. Risks us being attacked up here."

Kish
2015-06-25, 10:59 PM
The rats conceal themselves in piles of rubble. You wouldn't be able to see them if you didn't know they were there.

Heavensfury
2015-06-26, 08:07 PM
"Let them take it if they will, it's just a glowing rock, they won't break it, and it carrying would only make them a better target." Kieryian unpacks his crossbow, pulls the string back to the catch, and fits a bolt in the groove. "Keep in mind these are only the ones we see. I would suggest dropping the stone, taking out as many as we can with bolts and arrows," he nods to the companions with the aforementioned weapons, "and then our best warriors can go down to deal with any survivors, covered by our ranged support." He looks around for acquiescence or dissent before motioning to Jaluk. "On your signal then, master Jaluk."

Beam
2015-06-26, 08:48 PM
Jaluk

"I really should have grabbed a bow while I was in town" Jaluk laments to no one in particular. "Anyway, if everybody's ready. 1...2..3!" He lets the stone fall into the crevasse.

Kish
2015-06-26, 09:10 PM
As the stone comes to rest on the ledge, you hear angry-sounding squeaking, but no one comes to take the stone. A section of the rubble-strewn ledge is now visible to all of you.

Beam
2015-06-28, 10:16 AM
Jaluk

"Well, at least we can see down there now" Jaluk says. He glances at the immense orc. "I'll be right behind you Suga, if you're still ready to go down first."

Cavir
2015-06-28, 02:47 PM
Suga

"Gladly. Better to have someone watching one's back, thanks." Suga stows weapons and shield and makes sure they are all easily drawn. He pulls out a torch and flint set and hands them to Jaluk. "For when you get down there to keep them at bay."

Suga takes another look down then starts the climb down. Almost 10 feet up from the ledge he wraps his legs around the rope to hold himself while he draws his dire axe. With one more look up and down followed by and a deep sniff he drops the last distance to the ground catching himself with his great strength. He's ready to strike any rat than comes near.

Without the shield readied his Jump is +6. With taking 10 on the jump he auto succeeds. As is he has his dire ax and spiked gauntlet ready.

Beam
2015-06-28, 08:01 PM
Jaluk

Gratefully receiving the torch from Suga, Jaluk stores it in his pack. He watches as the orc descends and decides to imitate him. He begins climbing down the rope and halts ten feet from the ground, drawing his weapon as well, and drops to the ground besides the large warrior, rapier at the ready.

Acrobatics Check if needed: [roll0]

LuckyStrike
2015-06-28, 11:26 PM
In the meantime Remi gets her bow and arrow ready and aims down, looking out for those that climb down.

Cardea
2015-06-29, 10:41 PM
Urnin follows suit with Remi, pulling out her bow, and knocking two arrows.

Kish
2015-06-30, 06:58 AM
As Suga jumps down, three rats converge on him, their eyes gleaming with hostile, or at least hungry, intent.

Jaluk: [roll0]
Kieryian: [roll1]
Remi: [roll2]
Suga: [roll3]
Urnin: [roll4]
Rats: [roll5][roll6][roll7]

>> Urnin: 22
R3: 17
Suga: 16
R1: 15
Kieryian: 14
R2: 12
Remi: 9
Jaluk: 8

Urnin is up.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14IOuK7DtUmYloGbdv6lICwqEJunPcq26EGbd6y3tv0Y/edit?usp=sharing) is here. A narrow switchback staircase descends to the south. Jaluk is on the rope this round, and will reach the ground next round. Range from the top to the ledge is fifty feet.

Cardea
2015-06-30, 08:26 AM
Urnin pulls back with her arrows, and the tips of both catch fire. She aims at two rats at once, sending the flaming arrows hurtling towards them.

Initiating Burning Blade.

Initiating Steel Wind.

Arrow at R1
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Fire Damage: [roll3]

Arrow at R2
Attack: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Fire Damage: [roll7]

Edit: If these are Dire Rats, did I just kill both of them? Sweet deal.

Kish
2015-06-30, 08:41 AM
Two of the rats fall with shrieks of agony as their fur catches on fire. The remaining rat lunges, undaunted, at Suga, but its teeth don't make contact with his skin.

[roll0]
[roll1]

>> Suga: 16
>> Kieryian: 14
>> Remi: 9
>> Jaluk: 8
>> Urnin: 22
R3: 17

Everyone is up before the rat acts again. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14IOuK7DtUmYloGbdv6lICwqEJunPcq26EGbd6y3tv0Y/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

Cavir
2015-06-30, 09:43 AM
Suga

Suga is happy there is someone very competent with a bow up above but at the same time disappointed there is only one rat left for him. It's better than none left so he lets his inner beast out briefly and chops the rat with his axe and smashes it with his spiked gauntlet. Expecting more to come out soon he readies his shield.

Embarrassing if these both miss :smallannoyed: Currently I only see myself on the map, no rats?

Standard: Wolf Fang Strike at the remaining rat
Move: to D2 and draw shield

Axe attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll1]
Crit: [roll3]

Gauntlet attack: [roll4]
Crit: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Crit: [roll7]

What is the black area starting at 5a to 5e? The staircase?

EDIT: Ah, Kish was just already prepared for making rat paste :smallcool:

Kish
2015-06-30, 09:52 AM
Suga slashes the last rat in half.

That's two characters who mysteriously disappeared from my maps this morning; either I'm hitting the Delete key without noticing it or something's weird in Google docs. Anyway.

60 XP each. Jaluk reached the ledge; the others are still up above. There's no sign of any other enemies, for the moment.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-30, 10:07 AM
Remi lets out a short whistle, impressed by Urnins handiwork. 'Damn fine aim you got there.'
She puts her own arrow back with the others and gets ready for the descent.

Cavir
2015-06-30, 10:20 AM
Suga keeps watch, axe and shield at the ready as he signals the others to come down.

Ready shield, recover spent maneuver while waiting.

Cardea
2015-06-30, 10:43 AM
Urnin smiles at what is probably dinner, and heads down the rope with the others. She calls down below. "Tiger Claw, Suga?"

Cavir
2015-06-30, 12:34 PM
Suga looks up and nods, trying to keep quiet even though the light advertises their position in the darkness. At least the light is below ground level now. He makes space for the others to come down. Once Urnin reaches the ledge he answers her quietly. "Yes, you know of the Sublime Way?"

Heavensfury
2015-06-30, 12:40 PM
"Oh, well, alright then." Kieryian was impressed. The rats had been bisected and roasted before he'd even had time to line up a shot. The flaming arrows had surprised him, and he surreptitiously glanced at Urnin's bow, wondering if it was enchanted.

Removing the quarrel and gently releasing the tension of the string, Kieryian hung the crossbow from his belt for easy access. Keeping an eye out while the others descend, he carefully makes his way down the rope last. Looking around the landing, he spots the stairs leading down.

"I have a lantern and a few hours worth of oil. Should we make our way inside and look for a defensible place to hole up for the evening, or just push on and rest later?" He nudges one of the dead vermin with his foot. "These may attract more scavengers."

Cardea
2015-06-30, 01:38 PM
Once at the bottom, Urnin pulls out her bow, knocking another arrow. She raises an eyebrow at Suga's hushed tone, and responds just as quietly. "Aye. How else would you explain my arrows? Iron Heart and Desert Wind." She pats Suga on the shoulder, and turns to Kieryian. She frowns at his nudging of the rats, and picks one up, handing it to him. "Don't waste good meat. I don't like where we are now. Anything could come from above us, anything could come from ahead. No doors? No real safety. I have a few pints of oil on me. We haven't been injured, we haven't expended resources. I say we push forward. "

Kish
2015-06-30, 02:56 PM
The rat meat does not smell like something it would be wise to eat. You remember hearing that dire rats often carry diseases.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-30, 03:05 PM
'I would agree with you, had it been good meat. This however i wouldn't feed to my pet gator.' Remi says after climbing down and joining them.
'But I wholeheartedly agree on pushing forward.' She adds.

'Do we need more light? I can enchant another rock?'

Cavir
2015-06-30, 04:36 PM
Suga

The orc's face momentarily shows confusion with Urnin's use of the Sublime Way with arrows but all he says for now is "Hmmm."

As for the rats, he kicks the corpses on the ground over the edge. "They stink of disease. I hope all have some food already."

With everyone down on the ledge he moves to the staircase. "Down we go." He sniffs for anything besides the rats or his comrades then heads down quietly.

Beam
2015-06-30, 05:19 PM
Jaluk

Jaluk was happy to be surrounded by some competent comrades, but a bit disappointed he didn't get a chance to act. "That was a tad anti-climatic. Just big rats after all"

He follows behind Suga as he begins moving on.

Kish
2015-07-01, 11:53 AM
At the edge of sight to those who lack darkvision or low-light vision, a fortress top emerges from the darkness. The subterranean citadel, though impressive, seems long forgotten, if the lightless windows, cracked crenellations, and leaning towers are any indication. All is quiet, though a faint breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot. You realize that Aramil appears not to have climbed down the rope with the rest of you.

Suga leads the way down a set of 5-foot-wide stairs, past three switchbacks. The narrow stairs empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding cavern floor. The floor stretches away to the north and south, and it is apparently composed of a layer of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth. To the west looms the surviving structure of what must be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard.

Heavensfury
2015-07-03, 12:35 AM
Wary of the courtyard floor's stability, not to mention of the creatures that may be lurking in the rubble's depths, Kieryian decides to take precautions. Taking a deep breath, he taps into his meager reserve of mental energy and brings forth an invisible sheathe of psychic force with which to armor his body. Through careful focus, he's able to refine the energy into a more stable form, and even manages to avoid the physical strain this exercise would cause a less capable psion.

Wearied by the mental strain involved in this silent activity, he pauses for a moment in an attempt to re-center his mind.

Manifest Inertial Armor, using Overchannel to extend the duration to two hours. Talented prevents the backlash damage.

Spend full round to attempt to regain psionic focus (DC 20 Concentration check): [roll0]

Cavir
2015-07-03, 09:15 PM
Suga

Dire axe and shield at the ready, Suga breathes deep in the air for signs of anything that gives a clue of what has been around. He carefully starts stepping across the rubble heading towards the west tower while keeping watch in all directions. He is wary of the floor collapsing.

Hunter's Scent, anything smelled?

Kish
2015-07-03, 09:24 PM
You're pretty sure there are more rats hidden among the rubble somewhere, but none seems close enough to be about to attack.

A wooden door leads into the tower.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing); let me know if this is unclear. The staircase you descend into the courtyard is at F4; the door is west of B3. The wall is curved rather than perfectly rectangular with a bulge at the south end, but I don't know any way to better represent that at this scale.

Beam
2015-07-03, 09:35 PM
Jaluk

" If there's a door, let me check it out first Suga." The rogue says quietly while walking gingerly across the rubble.

I'm going to go ahead and roll perception to check out the tower entrance (assuming there is one) for traps or anything unusual. Also, I'm going to go ahead and say Jaluk lit the torch Suga gave him and is holding it in his left hand.

[roll0]

Kish
2015-07-03, 09:40 PM
The rogue always does that. I have to conclude that the person who designed this trap is a fiendish genius.
As Jaluk walks up to the door, a trapdoor in the floor under him abruptly swings open. Jaluk reflexively jumps back. A foot-wide catwalk spans the now-open trapdoor.

[roll0]
...or maybe not, since I've never seen the rogue fail that save, either.

You distinctly smell, in the pit, a fresh goblin corpse and a live rat. The pit doesn't seem to be very deep; you suspect the rat will climb out imminently now that the pit's open.

Cavir
2015-07-03, 09:49 PM
Suga

The large orc grabs Jaluk's shoulder to make sure he doesn't fall in but Jaluk already had it under control. Suga catches a scent and peaks over the edge of the hole. He keeps his shield low to cover his legs while he raises the axe, ready to strike. "Another rat."

Cardea
2015-07-05, 03:55 AM
"Then I guess I'll try three for three." Urnin says, catching up to Suga. Her arrow glows as it sets itself on fire, and she fires it down at the rat.

Aiming at the rat in the pit. I'm assuming I've had time to recover my maneuvers.

Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Fire: [roll3]

Kish
2015-07-05, 10:04 AM
Before the rat can react to the pit being opened, Urnin shoots it and it falls. The arrow quickly gutters out, giving those of you who don't have darkvision a glimpse of what Suga can see: a fresh goblin corpse and two goblin skeletons, also in a pit about ten feet deep.

[roll0]

Heavensfury
2015-07-05, 11:13 AM
"Can someone climb down and inspect the goblin corpse?" Kieryian asks. "There may be some clue as to its tribal affiliation."

Beam
2015-07-05, 12:27 PM
Jaluk

"I'm on it" Jaluk says to Kieryian's suggestion.

If needed, here's a acrobatics check to get in the pit. [roll0]
And here's a Search/perception check to inspect the dead goblin. [roll1]

Kish
2015-07-06, 12:13 PM
Jaluk jumps into the pit and investigates the corpses: a fresh goblin corpse and two goblin skeletons. They're wearing basic leather armor and were carrying morningstars and javelins. Nothing jumps out at you as an identifying mark. The fresh corpse has a hide belt pouch, which holds 23 silver pieces and 4 gold pieces.

Cavir
2015-07-06, 12:34 PM
Suga takes a knee and reaches down into the pit, offering a hand to grab onto for Jaluk and his findings.

Beam
2015-07-08, 09:03 AM
Jaluk

"Thank you my friend" The rogue says to the orc's proffered hand. "Such a crude trap. No match for Jaluk the perceptive. There was a bit of coin on the goblin at least. Let's see... Jaluk divvies up the coins among the party.

Are there still six of us? If there are it would divide as 1 gold and 5 copper apiece, if we make change.

Heavensfury
2015-07-08, 11:02 AM
"Well done Jaluk, and thank you." Kieryian says, nodding to the proffered coins. "It looks like we can use that catwalk to make it to the door. Shall we?"

Cavir
2015-07-09, 07:24 PM
Suga puts his shield away to avoid hindering his balance and aiding the others. He safely holds the bladed end of his axe which allows others to grab the safe end. Assuming Jaluk goes first, Suga will follow behind, aiding each member if needed.

5 members it seems = 12SP, 6CP to each
Without the shield I am at +6 for acrobatics. With take 10 it's more than an easy cross for me.

Beam
2015-07-10, 05:31 PM
Jaluk

"Okay, let's try this again" The ex-thief says to himself. He moves up to the door and examines the edges and handle, and if nothing is found, he sets his ear against it to listen.

Perception: [roll0]

Kish
2015-07-10, 05:58 PM
You find nothing unusual and hear nothing. The door doesn't seem to be locked.

Beam
2015-07-11, 08:47 AM
Jaluk

"Well, let's see what's at home." Jaluk says, opening the door wide. He feels fairly safe, with Suga's powerful arms and Urnin's fiery arrows close at hand.

Kish
2015-07-11, 11:03 AM
This circular area is cobbled with cracked granite, upon which sprawl four goblins, all apparently slain in combat. One stands with its back against the western wall, the killing spear still skewering it and holding it upright. In addition to the door Jaluk opened, two similar wooden doors lead off from this area. Above, a hollow tower of loose masonry reaches 30 feet, but the intervening floors and stairs are gone, except for a couple of crumbled ledges.

50 XP for each of you for dealing with the pit and the rat.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing) is updated; if you go in, please state which coordinates you're moving to.

Cavir
2015-07-11, 06:53 PM
Suga follows Jaluk across into the tower. He notices the dead goblins then keeps his attention upward. Once the others are across he readies his shield again and circles around the right along the wall to the first corpse he comes across, keeping his eyes mostly focused up. At the dead goblin he searches it.

Walk around the right wall to G4 to search G3.

Beam
2015-07-11, 08:21 PM
Jaluk

Following Suga into the room, Jaluk turns left instead to search another goblin. "Either these goblins really can't get along with each other, or there's something else they're fighting down here. Something that uses spears(and probably pit traps."

Moving to G11 to search G4

Heavensfury
2015-07-11, 09:09 PM
"Perhaps there are more than one tribe of goblins? They could be fighting over whatever is creating these apples they're selling to the villagers." Kieryian follows Jaluk, keeping an eye out for trouble as the human searches the goblin corpse.

Moving to H11

Cavir
2015-07-12, 06:23 AM
Suga

"Safe to assume this is the handiwork of those we are looking for."

Kish
2015-07-12, 09:04 AM
Each goblin you search possesses a short sword and no other valuables; you're pretty sure their corpses have been looted already.

There is a secret door in the wall to your south.

Cardea
2015-07-12, 09:29 AM
Urnin enters the room cautiously, keeping an eye out as her comrades search the corpses. When they finish their picking, she approaches the goblin skewered to the wall in pity, and attempts to pull the spear out, to let the corpse rest on the ground.

Is a strength check necessary? [roll0]

Kish
2015-07-12, 10:18 AM
Placing Urnin on the map directly east of G1.

Urnin pulls out the spear and the goblin's body slumps to the floor, revealing deep-set and impressive runes in the wall.

The runes spell out "Ashardalon".

Heavensfury
2015-07-12, 12:51 PM
While keeping watch, a faint irregularity on the wall catches Kieryian's attention. It looked like the stones on this patch of wall were layered a little off from those around them, kind of like a...

"Everyone, I think there's a hidden passage here!" He loudly whispers, trying to underplay his excitement. "Jaluk, can you open it?"

Beam
2015-07-12, 05:58 PM
Jaluk

Secret passage? Excellent! Treasure awaits. The acquisitive rogue thinks.

"Sure, I'll take a look."He says. Jaluk approaches the task deliberately, checking for traps, then a way to open it.

[roll0]
Unless he can't for some reason, Jaluk opens the door

Kish
2015-07-12, 06:25 PM
You find no traps on the door. As you open it, it becomes immediately clear that this was not because none were there. A needle jabs you in the index finger. (1 damage to Jaluk.)

Jaluk's Reflex save: [roll0]

This pocket chamber is damp and cold. The skeletons of three long-dead archers slump against rubble-filled arrow slits along the east and south wall.

Beam
2015-07-12, 08:43 PM
Jaluk

"Pelor's nuts!" Jaluk exclaims. He sticks his finger in his mouth for a few seconds before wondering whether or not the needle was poisoned. He spits against the wall. "Heh. Pray forgive the vulgarity, ladies and gents."

Cardea
2015-07-13, 11:21 AM
Taking a look at the hidden alcove, moving away from the runes on the wall, Urnin looks in. "Armor and weapons are garbage. They might have coins on them."

On mobile, so can't check map for grid coord.

Cavir
2015-07-13, 08:15 PM
Suga

"Maybe there is a secret door on this side too." Leaving the searching to the others and staying on guard, the orc moves to the west end of the room between the unchecked doors. "What's that say?"

Move to C6. If Urnin isn't keeping the spear Suga will pick it up.

Heavensfury
2015-07-14, 12:29 PM
"Hmm, interesting, they must have been killed when the fortress was cast down by Ashardalon all those years ago. I wonder if there's a still-legible insignia or signet on their persons..." Driven by his curiosity, Kieryian strides into the hidden room, moving up to the nearest skeleton to get a closer look at it's decaying accouterments.

Kish
2015-07-14, 01:05 PM
As Kieryian moves into the pocket chamber, the skeletons abruptly begin to move, pinpoints of red light flaring to life in their eyesockets.

Initiative:
Jaluk: [roll0]
Urnin: [roll1]
Suga: [roll2]
Kieryian: [roll3]
Remi: [roll4]
Skeleton 1: [roll5]
Skeleton 2: [roll6]
Skeleton 3: [roll7]

Kish
2015-07-14, 01:12 PM
Two of the skeletons immediately attempt to rake Kieryian with their claws.

S3's attacks: [roll0][roll1]
S3's damage: [roll2][roll3]
S1's attacks: [roll4][roll5]
S1's damage: [roll6][roll7]

Initiative roll-off between Kieryian and the slow skeleton: Kieyian [roll8] Skeleton [roll9]
Initiative order:
>> Urnin 17
>> Suga 16
>> Jaluk 10
>> Remi 9
S2 7
Kieryian 7
S3 21
S1 20

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing) updated. Urnin, Suga, Jaluk, and Remi are up.

You're pretty sure weapons other than bludgeoning weapons are significantly less effective against skeletons.

Cavir
2015-07-14, 07:18 PM
Suga

The sound of battle and the sight of the animated skeleton coming out of the secret door sets Suga to action instantly. He rushes at the skeleton and attacks it twice, with the dire axe in one hand and the heavy wooden shield in the other.

"Back up! Draw them out and I'll smash them."

20' move to F11
Maneuver: Wolf Fang Strike (2 attacks on one target with two different weapons with -2 on each) on S1

Dire axe: [roll0] crit (on 19+): [roll1]
damage: [roll2] crit [roll3] Slashing

Heavy Shield: [roll4] crit (on 20): [roll5]
damage: [roll6] crit [roll7] Bludgeoning

Assuming Jaluk is still flat-footed so no flanking for me. If it lives then Jaluk will have flanking.

Beam
2015-07-14, 10:01 PM
Jaluk

Where do you stab a skeleton, Jaluk wonders. He sees Suga smash the first skeleton and his plan to draw them out."Sounds good to me!" He responds. He takes Kieryan by the shoulders and drags him straight backwards as far away from the monsters as he can.

Are there any rules about dragging? I'll just take him back 30' if there's no penalty

Cardea
2015-07-14, 10:43 PM
Urnin turns to the sound of clashing, moving swiftly to the side to get a good line of sight into the spare room. She draws two arrows, lighting them both, and fires.

Moving to H7.

Burning Blade and Steel Wind.

Skeleton 1:
Damage: [roll1]
Fire: [roll2]

Skeleton 3:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Fire: [roll5]

Kish
2015-07-16, 10:33 AM
Urnin's arrow glances off the skeleton's bones, doing no arrow damage but burning the skeleton badly. Then Suga cuts the skeleton lightly and smashes it into bits. Jaluk pulls Kieryian away. Remi moves over to Kieryian and casts a spell on him. Another skeleton steps onto the bones of the destroyed skeleton and fearlessly claws at Suga, closely followed by the third skeleton.

The spell Remi cast is Lesser Vigor.

Kieryian is stabilized and gains one hit point.
S2's attack: [roll0]
Critical confirmation: [roll1]
S2's damage: [roll2] Critical damage if applicable: [roll3]
S3's attack: [roll4]
Critical confirmation: [roll5]
S3's damage: [roll6] Critical damage if applicable: [roll7]

>> Urnin 17
>> Suga 16
>> Jaluk 10
>> Remi 9
S2 7
Kieryian 7
S3 21

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing) updated. Urnin, Suga, Jaluk, and Remi are up.

Cavir
2015-07-16, 10:55 AM
Suga relishes the melee with the skeletons. He is a warblade, versatile in his melee weapons training. Instead of the axe he swings out his shield in a broad arc to smash both skeletons at once.

I don't see S3 on the map so I'll assume it is in the same spot as G4.

Standard: Steel Wind: two melee attacks, one each on different targets.

S2:
Heavy Shield: [roll0]. Crit (on 20): [roll1]
damage: [roll2]. Crit: [roll3] Bludgeoning

S3:
Heavy Shield: [roll4]. Crit (on 20): [roll5]
damage: [roll6]. Crit: [roll7] Bludgeoning

If I drop the axe, can I use the shield 2 handed?

Kish
2015-07-16, 11:10 AM
Good assumption. It appears that if I close the map with a square highlighted, it will undo whatever I do to that square.

You could use the shield two-handed as for a standard bludgeoning weapon, but it's not currently relevant because:
Suga smashes the two remaining skeletons.

60 XP for each of you. Kieryian heals another 10 hit points over the next ten rounds.

Cardea
2015-07-16, 11:30 AM
Urnin breathes a sigh of relief, then turns to the other doors in the room, arrow at the ready.

Urnin draws another arrow, focusing on steadying herself for another volley.

Full round action: recovering expended maneuvers.

S3
Damage: [roll1]

Beam
2015-07-16, 12:19 PM
Jaluk

Jaluk chuckles and shakes his head in amazement."Astounding Suga. You're a whirlwind of destruction."

He moves over to the skeleton's hidden room and searches it for anything interesting.

Perception to search room and skeletons: [roll0]

Kish
2015-07-16, 07:29 PM
Jaluk finds nothing of interest in the pocket room now. Each of the skeletons has, in addition to their rotted equipment, a single perfectly intact crossbow bolt, its condition compared to the rest of the skeletons' gear strongly suggesting magic. In addition, each of them has some gold and silver coins, for a total of [roll0] silver and [roll1] gold between them.

Heavensfury
2015-07-16, 07:41 PM
Revived by the slow, steady healing of druidic magic, Kieryian's eyes flutter open. He sighs contentedly as the last of his wounds vanishes, and sits up. "Thank you, Remi, those creatures took me by surprise." Observing the various burned and powdered bones strewn about, he smiles ruefully. ""At least they were served in kind."

Cavir
2015-07-16, 08:22 PM
Suga nods at Jaluk's compliments while flourishing his axe. "Thanks. Good thinking dragging him out." Suga looks on into the hidden room in case of any other surprises. With nothing else happening in there, Suga moves back to the two doors to the west and the runes on the wall.

Recovering maneuvers.

Assuming Jaluk is hanging onto the loot. If weight is an issue I'll carry it.

Cardea
2015-07-16, 08:28 PM
"Quite. Such is the Iron Heart way, no?" Urnin says, teasing at the secretive Suga. Approaching behind him, she points to the runes. "Its Draconic. It says Ashardalon. It leaves me suspicious, Suga. I've never known a Goblin to speak the serpent tongue. I am hoping it is something put there by the original owners of this place."

Beam
2015-07-16, 09:09 PM
Jaluk

The young rogue seems happy as he counts up the coins. "I knew this would be a profitable line of work. And we've barely gotten started!" He tosses the strangely preserved crossbow bolst up and down a couple of times. "Here, Kieryan! You could probably make use of that." He says as he lightly tosses them each to the elf.

"Let's see...two more doors. One north, one south. Might as well be deliberate about this." He says as he begins examining each door in turn. "Just hope I don't get another needle prick for my efforts." Jaluk adds quietly.

Checking North Door: [roll0]
Checking South Door: [roll1]

I know I have a horrible perception bonus. That's what I get for having a six wisdom

Cavir
2015-07-16, 09:34 PM
Suga laughs "Ha! Best not to let goblins speak at all. Unless it's to find out where there are more of them. I know they speak common when their life is on the line."

"Iron Heart, yes. Happy endless practice for more skill. Now practice with things that fight back for real. Iron Heart and Tiger Claw, good paths for quick victory. Never met someone trained that way with a bow. Interesting, but not my path. Good teamwork though."

Suga watches Jaluk inspect the bolts and hand them to Kieryan. He thinks for a bit while Jaluk checks the door. He glances at the secret door a few times.

"The dragon made the citadel sink right? So those archers were in there during that fight back then? Maybe those bolts were meant for the dragon but they didn't get to use them?"

Heavensfury
2015-07-16, 10:26 PM
"Maybe, I'm just glad their skeletons didn't get the chance to use them!" Kieryian responds, rubbing his healed wounds and wincing at the thought.

Beam
2015-07-18, 11:41 PM
Jaluk

"So which way?"Jaluk asks the group. "I vote the south door. I'm not sure where I heard this, but any maze or dungeon can be cracked if you always choose the left hand path."

Cavir
2015-07-19, 12:22 AM
Suga checks near each door for some scent, mainly trying to determine which way the first party may have gone. Catching any other scents around is welcome too. Assuming the scent trail is to old... "Works for me, let's keep going." He stands to the side of the door and opens it, ready for action.

Kish
2015-07-20, 09:33 PM
The masonry walls of this 20-foot-wide hall are in poor repair. The far end is especially bad, as it has completely collapsed, filling the southern section with rubble. The western wall is in much better shape than the other walls, and it holds a stone door with a rearing dragon carved in relief on it. The door contains a single keyhole, which is situated in the rearing dragon's mouth.
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

There is a three-foot-long rat skulking in the rubble to the south, watching you.

Cavir
2015-07-20, 09:37 PM
Suga looks at Jaluk "Doesn't take one with your skills to be wary of that. Want to check it out for us or try the other door first?"

Beam
2015-07-21, 09:10 AM
Jaluk

"Looks like we'll need a key for that one."Jaluk says. "I might as well take a look."

The rogue heads to the door and examines it for anything out of the ordinary.

Kish
2015-07-21, 09:23 AM
Up close, the lock looks as ornate as it did from a distance.

Heavensfury
2015-07-21, 10:40 AM
"I think it's safe to assume our quarry did not go that way...unless the collapse occurred after they passed, Corellon forbid. Is that door unlocked, or must we try our luck with the other route?"

Beam
2015-07-21, 07:33 PM
Jaluk

"Is there even a knob on this thing? Jaluk says. He tries pulling and pushing on it a few times, if nothing happens, he speaks out again. "There's bound to be some real valuables in there if nobody's been in since the place fell. Gotta keep an eye out for that key. Looks like we'll have to try the other door.

Cavir
2015-07-21, 07:45 PM
"OK" Suga moves over to the northern door and waits on Jaluk.

I did pick up the spear. Having something big to throw isn't a bad idea.

Kish
2015-07-21, 08:34 PM
The dragon-carved door seems securely locked.

Beam
2015-07-22, 01:33 PM
Jaluk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=224379)

Disappointed that the dragon doors promise of wondrous lucre must be passed by, Jaluk moves over to the northern door and prepares to open it. "Okay, deadly arrows at the ready. Deadly axe set to go. Let's do it." He opens the door.

Kish
2015-07-22, 02:34 PM
Behind the door a rubble-strewn corridor, 10' wide, extends away to the west. The corridor passes a door in the north wall and one in the south wall before ending at another door. The north and west doors are plain and wooden, the south door is made of stone and decorated with carved reliefs depicting a dragonlike fish swimming in an aquatic setting.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

Cavir
2015-07-23, 07:52 AM
Suga

Jaluk opens the door and Suga passes through, looking around and taking in scent of the air near each door before the others come in and make that harder.

Kish
2015-07-23, 11:06 AM
Behind the south door, you smell water. Behind the west door, you smell some kind of reptile. Whatever is behind the north door smells like the corridor itself, with nothing that stands out.

Beam
2015-07-23, 11:13 AM

Jaluk walks into the room after Suga's sniff test and looks around. "I like the look of that one." He says, indicating the southern stone door with his torch. He sets his torch down and examines it.

Kish
2015-07-23, 11:14 AM
You find no traps on the south door. It's locked.

Cavir
2015-07-23, 11:21 AM
Suga

"Water smell behind the stone door- so probably something IN the water too."

He turns around to the north door. "Nothing from that one."

Moving to the west door. "Something reptilian that way."

He moves back, ready near the south door while Jaluk works on it, keeping an eye on the west door.

Beam
2015-07-23, 11:35 AM
Jaluk

"Hmm, all the good doors are locked. Water you say? I've a powerful thirst." He takes his tools of the trade out and tries to unlock the door. "Don't worry, I won't open it without asking. But I'm sure there's something grand behind here."

Disable Device:[roll0]

Cavir
2015-07-23, 11:42 AM
Suga

While Jaluk is working on the lock Suga thinks of the situation. He moves just east of the door that Jaluk is working on. Better to be to do a fighting retreat back to where we've been.

Move to E5

Kish
2015-07-23, 11:43 AM
Jaluk unlocks the door and opens it, revealing a 10-foot-square chamber hewn from stone. It contains an upright keg fashioned of rusted iron. Similarly rusted pipes lead from the keg into the floor.

Cavir
2015-07-24, 06:20 PM
"I doubt they went that way. Let's do the door that has a scent." Suga moves to the west door (B5).

Beam
2015-07-24, 07:24 PM

"There doesn't seem to be any other doors in that room. We might as well check it out while the door's open before reptile hunting. Urnin, Kieryan, Remi. You three have been quiet. What do you think?"

Heavensfury
2015-07-24, 08:47 PM
"I think it's a well...or maybe a cistern? People use to live here back before the dragon cast it down, it makes sense they would have something like this. I don't think we'll find our missing adventures here...and perhaps we should look in the more accessible parts of the fortress before searching water closets for hidden doors?" He shrugs apologetically to Jaluk. "It's good to know this is here, though, for when we need to refill our waterskins. Hopefully it still works."

Kish
2015-07-24, 11:22 PM
Remi examines the keg. "Rusty metal. I doubt anything in here would be good to drink still."

Cardea
2015-07-25, 01:22 AM
"I'm thinking we should check the other hallway. If it was behind a secret door, it might be easier to hide behind there to set up a fallback point, when we need to rest." Urnin says, corking her waterskin as Remi informs them about the rust in the water.

Beam
2015-07-25, 10:51 PM

"Very well," Jaluk says. He moves over to the "reptile" door and listens for any activity, then checks for traps or locks. If nothing prevents him, he opens it.

Kish
2015-07-26, 08:23 AM
Crudely executed symbols and glyphs, scribed in bright green dye, decorate this large and irregularly shaped crumbling chamber. A large pit in the chamber's center shows evidence of a recent bonfire. A metallic cage in the center of the southern wall contains a gaping hole and stands empty. A small wooden bench draped with green cloth stands before the cage, and upon it sits several small objects. A bedroll lies near the wooden bench, from which the sound of whimpering is plainly audible.

The bedroll smells of reptile. The firepit smells of burned reptile. The bench smells of paint. The cage smells of something you can't place.

Cavir
2015-07-26, 12:13 PM
Suga moves into the room, off to the right to give room for the others. He uses his shield to motion toward whatever is whimpering He knows his own weakness, an initial look alone at him can sour potential dealings. He keeps watch while the others deal with whatever It is.

Move to T11. Assuming that's the fire pit next to there.

Beam
2015-07-26, 04:08 PM

Jaluk moves in after Suga and looks with curiosity at the whimpering bedroll. "Uh..Hello under there." He says as he approaches. "We can actually hear you (and smell you) so hiding's not doing you any good. You have nothing to fear as long as you don't threaten us. I'm Jaluk the Fair Dealer and my companions and I are looking for some other adventurers that disappeared down here. If you aid us there could even be a reward for you."

Diplomacy Check: [roll0]

EDIT: Ha! I don't think that will help any.

Kish
2015-07-27, 10:43 AM
Although Jaluk's tone makes his benign-seeming words both sound threatening and imply lacking the force to back any threats up, after a minute, a kobold rolls out of the bedroll. "You no hurt Meepo!" he (you're pretty sure the kobold's male) exclaims.

The symbols on the wall spell out "Here There Be Dragons" in a crude version of Draconic.

Beam
2015-07-27, 11:38 AM

"No, no, no. No hurt Meepo. We're just here to do a job, not kill everything. Surprised to find your kind down here. We expected nasty little goblins. You don't know anything about them or those other adventurers I mentioned, do you? We've got a few shinies we could share." Jaluk says. He finds himself strangely charmed by the timid little kobold.

Kish
2015-07-28, 11:42 AM
A calculating look enters the kobold's eyes. "You help us maybe? Meepo know little of goblins, but Yusdrayl know more. Meepo take you to Yusdrayl? Maybe you help us get our dragon back? Yusdrayl will reward you!"

Beam
2015-07-28, 11:57 AM

"Dragon? Is that what was in the cage?" He looks toward his companions and speaks in orc. What do the rest of you think? Want to try and negotiate with the kobolds down here?"

Cavir
2015-07-28, 08:37 PM
Suga speaks up in common. "Why are you here by yourself?"

Kish
2015-07-28, 09:38 PM
The kobold looks confused and unsure for a moment, but then replies, "Meepo is not by himself. Kobolds hold this part of citadel. That what orc meant?"

Cavir
2015-07-28, 09:49 PM
"Right here right now. No other kobolds here."

He switches to Orc "A trap?"

Kish
2015-07-28, 09:54 PM
"Meepo is Keeper of Dragons, so Meepo sleep here. Orcs always sleep in room with other orcs?"

He seems genuinely confused by this line of inquiry.

Though there is definitely something he very much wants from you.
You don't get the impression he feels any hostility toward you.

Cavir
2015-07-28, 10:03 PM
"Keeper of what dragons? Where'd they go?"

Kish
2015-07-28, 10:05 PM
"The clan's dragon...we've lost our dragon. The wretched goblins stole Calcryx, our dragon!" Meepo appears very upset.

Cavir
2015-07-29, 06:57 AM
SUGA

"If the goblins stole it, why are you here and not stealing it back with the rest of the kobolds? Bring Yusdrayl here, fast. We are in a hurry. And tell him to bring a map of the place."

Cardea
2015-07-29, 08:23 AM
"Meepo. Which way did the orcs go?" Urnin says calmly, balancing verbally from Suga's instructions.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Beam
2015-07-29, 11:02 AM

"So what kind of dragon are we talking about? What color I mean? And tell us more about this Yusdrayl."

Kish
2015-07-30, 10:51 AM
Meepo glances around nervously as all three of you speak to him. "Orc is there..." he points to Suga. "Yusdrayl not come when Meepo say. Meepo take you to her? Calcryx is a beautiful white color all over. Yusdrayl is mighty and wise sorcerer who rules all kobolds here."

Cavir
2015-07-30, 05:22 PM
Suga throws a quick confused look at Urnin then turns back to the kobold. "She meant where did the goblins go. Yusdrayl doesn't know the dragon is gone yet right? You're afraid to tell her? Tell us about the humans that came through, where they went, and maybe we'll help."

Kish
2015-07-30, 07:39 PM
"Yusdrayl knows dragon gone. Was big battle. The humans who were here earlier, you look for? They went to Yusdrayl, and then on into goblin territory."

Cavir
2015-07-30, 08:17 PM
Suga

"They went? Should have said that before. Lead the way."

Beam
2015-07-30, 08:32 PM

"Sounds like our best option." Jaluk says. "I just hope we don't have cause to regret it."
He falls in behind the orc, letting the intrepid Meepo lead the way.

Kish
2015-08-02, 04:43 PM
You follow Meepo down the hall. He reaches the end of the west hall and turns north, leading you into a room where a short throne stands near the west wall, constructed of fallen bits of masonry stacked against an old altar. A small, horned figure in red-dyed robes sits on the throne, and a force of six similar creatures guards her. The altar's top contains a variety of small items, while the portion of the altar that serves as the throne's back features a carving of a rearing dragon. A metallic key is held firmly in the rearing dragon's open mouth.

"Lady Yusdrayl, these people want to help us get dragon back!" Meepo says.

"Well, adventurers, is what Meepo said true?" Yusdrayl speaks in clear, unaccented Common. "Did you offer to help us get our dragon back?"

Beam
2015-08-02, 07:09 PM

"Indeed we did, my lady Yusadryl. For some aid in return. I am Jaluk the Blade. My companions and I have come here to discover the fate of the last group that ventured here. Meepo here said they met with you. Did you make some kind of deal with them and do you know if they live?"

A dragon key! The avaricious rogue notes internally. Might it open a dragon door?

Cardea
2015-08-02, 08:05 PM
Urnin speaks up, choosing the Draconic tongue. ["Yes. We told courageous Meepo here what are task was, and he said a trade with you, to rescue your dragon, might be the best course of action. I possess two questions, Lady Yusdrayl. First, we encountered a door earlier in this structure. It was locked, and adorned with dragons. What lies beyond it? And second, where might we find these goblins?"]

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Edit: YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Cavir
2015-08-02, 09:29 PM
Suga

The orc glances at Urnin. "In Common please." Turning back to the kobolds... "Yes, what was the deal? And what do you know of the goblins? Do they outnumber you that much?"

Kish
2015-08-03, 12:55 PM
Yusdrayl focuses her replies on Urnin. "I don't know what's behind that door," she says. "The other adventurers traded with us and then went to fight the goblins. They never returned. As all know, kobolds are heir to dragons. As the mightiest among my people, I have led a brave few here to this ancient holy site, where dragons were revered long ago, but the putrid goblins stole--kidnapped our dragon! If you return the dragon to us, I shall grant you a reward. Meepo will accompany you. You want the key. If you can bring our dragon back, you can have it."

Cavir
2015-08-04, 10:11 PM
Suga

"What reward did you offer them? Do you have a map of any part of this place? Did the other adventurers say anything? How long ago were they here?"

Kish
2015-08-04, 10:20 PM
"I didn't offer them a reward. We had our dragon, then, and so there was nothing I asked them to do for me. They said only that they were going to fight the goblins, and the human female bought a scroll from me. I don't have a map, no, but Meepo can show you where the goblins are. They left...eight days ago, was it? Yes, eight days ago."

Cavir
2015-08-04, 10:41 PM
Suga

"They went in, but the goblins came out and stole the dragon. Sounds like we've got work to do. What do you have to offer that the goblins didn't already take?" Suga is now itching to head out and find the goblins.

Cardea
2015-08-04, 10:43 PM
Urnin glances blankly at Suga. "The key, Suga. The key. The doors we found earlier? The ones with dragons on them? What are the odds that that key opens it?"

Cavir
2015-08-04, 10:54 PM
Suga

"Could be nothing in there." Suga shrugs. "Let's go."

Heavensfury
2015-08-05, 04:13 AM
"One doesn't invest in that kind of security to hide away 'nothing'...perhaps whatever is back there may even shed some light on why Ashardalon smote this place all those years ago!" Kieryian attempts to reassure Suga of the worthiness of the prize, blithely oblivious to the thought the half-orc may not share his thirst for knowledge.

Kish
2015-08-05, 11:17 AM
Yusdrayl watches the debate between you. Now that she's not talking to fix your attention, you see that the items on the altar's top are three parchment scrolls and a jar.

Cardea
2015-08-05, 11:49 AM
Urnin lowers her hand towards Kieryian, and addresses Yusdrayl. "Which way should we follow to reach these goblins?"

Kish
2015-08-05, 01:46 PM
"Meepo will show you where to go."

Beam
2015-08-05, 04:06 PM

"You said the female adventurer bought a scroll from you. Do you have any other items to sell, good queen?" Jaluk says, noticing the items on the altar.

Kish
2015-08-06, 12:33 PM
Yusdrayl reaches over to pick up one of the scrolls from the altar. "Mage armor," she says, then, picking up other items in turn, "Spider climb. Faerie fire. This is magic as well," she picks up a crow or raven feather which was under one of the scrolls. "This is a mixture that helps with disease. And, of course, there's the key that some of you want so badly." She shows her teeth in what, after a moment, you recognize as an amused smile.

Cavir
2015-08-06, 12:53 PM
Suga

"Might be nothing left behind the door when we return. Doesn't seem much of a reward for a living dragon that might in a few years terrorize Oakhurst. Decide what you want on it. Adventurers, dragon, or both. Either way the goblin trail grows cold while we stand here and talk. Meepo, are you ready to go?"

Beam
2015-08-06, 05:13 PM

Must have key! Jaluk's inner thief cries.Hey, shut up. We've got a job to do first. His more altruistic adventurer side replies.

Scrolls and healing aren't really my purview. But the key DOES interest me."He says to the kobold queen. "But my orcish companion is right. We should be making haste. I vote to see to this dragon problem of yours first. He looks to his other companions. "Are we in agreement? If so, then lead on brave Meepo!"

Kish
2015-08-09, 08:20 AM
"Go on, Meepo," Yusdrayl says.

"Meepo show you back way to goblins," Meepo says, leading you back to the room where you met him and down the corridor to the northeast. The corridor leads back south, then east again, and finally leads you to a door in the north well, which Meepo opens and goes through without hesitation.

Empty and lightless, the chamber on the other side is home only to rat droppings, crumbled flagstones, and nameless stains. Another door stands in the north wall; Meepo comes to a stop and points to it. "Beyond there is goblin territory," he says.

208 XP each for peaceful interactions with the kobolds, and map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOc8cvdhuAQiAQA_qtTPe0Gay7PyALAhlgjr3YnBdlw/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

Heavensfury
2015-08-09, 04:06 PM
Returning his crossbow back to his hands, Kieryian looks down at their tiny escort. "Meepo, I assume your tribe and the goblins have battled before, yes? Before we intrude on their territory, is there anything you could tell us about their fighters and tactics? Should we expect traps? Do they utilize ranged attacks, or do they tend to get close when fighting?" He looks around to the others, curious if they had further questions in the same vein.

Cavir
2015-08-09, 07:00 PM
Suga

"Any idea how many there are? Dozens? Hundreds? Did they kill many of your tribe? Were they just after the dragon or trying to wipe you out too? Was your tribe friendly with them before the raid?"

Kish
2015-08-09, 07:11 PM
"Meepo not exactly a warrior. From what Meepo see, they stand and swing weapons. Must be some smarter, but Meepo never see them. At last skirmish, while bounders were killing the goblins attacking one, one giant goblin came past the others, threw Meepo across room, and made off with Calcryx." Meepo sounds very sad. "I not know how many. Too many for us to drive from holy place yet, or they be dead. We never friendly with them; they try to make us leave or kill us since we came here."

Beam
2015-08-09, 08:26 PM

"Giant goblin? Sounds like a hobgoblin or bugbear."He draws his rapier while still holding the torch in his left hand. "You should stay in the back Meepo. We don't expect you to be a warrior." He looks to his companions. "How shall we do this? The standard method? I follow in behind Suga, arrows and spells behind me? Sound good?" The rogue bounces up off the heels of his feet a couple times and cricks his neck. "Exciting isn't it? I haven't actually gotten to stab anything yet. Hope the goblins are ready. Wait. Not ready would be better."

Cardea
2015-08-09, 09:07 PM
"Arrows right behind you, Jaluk," Urnin says, stringing her bow. "Suga and I will put down the weaker ones with Steel Wind. You should focus on this large goblin that Meepo speaks of. Hurt him the most. If he dies, they may lose morale."

Kish
2015-08-10, 11:41 AM
Anticlimactically, when Suga opens the door, the room behind it appears deserted. Dust and odd bits of stony debris and rubble lie scattered on the floor. An ornate fountain is built into the eastern wall. Though cracked, stained, and dry, the fountain's carving of a diving dragon retains its beauty. A relief-carved stone door stands on the west wall.

Beam
2015-08-10, 01:21 PM

Jaluk walks into the empty chamber and looks about."I like the dragon motif the builders made this place with. Very striking. Though why anyone would want to actually worship dragons is beyond me." He looks over to their kobold guide. "Sorry Meepo. No offense intended." The rogue takes a closer look at the dry fountain and the stone door.

Checking Fountain: [roll0]
Checking Door: [roll1]

Heavensfury
2015-08-10, 01:28 PM
"One day you may see an elder wyrm up close, Jaluk. Perhaps then you'll be better able to understand the urge to venerate such a mighty creature. If you're extraordinarily lucky, you may even live long enough to appreciate the experience." Kieryian whispers conversationally.

Kish
2015-08-10, 01:33 PM
A thin scum coats the fountain's basin, but it is otherwise dry. Jaluk finds a mostly worn-away inscription, but it's not in a language he understands. The carvings on the door show skeletal dragons, and within a foot of the door Jaluk feels a palpable coldness; there is a longer inscription on the door, in the same illegible language.

The inscription on the fountain reads "Let there be fire," one word in Draconic. The inscription on the door reads, "Arcane Might Opens The Way," four words in Draconic.

Cavir
2015-08-10, 09:13 PM
Suga

While the others check out the room, Suga moves through the room and posts at the start of the hallway on the far end of the room.

Move to AR18
Perception [roll0]

Beam
2015-08-11, 04:03 PM

"Can any of you read these inscriptions?"

Heavensfury
2015-08-11, 09:17 PM
Walking over to where Jaluk stands, Kieryian examines the text, quietly reciting the words in Draconic before returning his attention to the group. "The script on the fountain says 'Let there be fire', and the writing on the door states 'Arcane might opens the way'. They're both in Draconic, as you may have guessed" He shrugs. "Sounds like magic is used to open the door...are you sure this is the way to the goblins Meepo?"

Cardea
2015-08-11, 10:38 PM
["Let there be fire?"] Urnin asks aloud in the serpent tongue, hearing what the inscription says. She draws out an arrow, and sets it aflame. She holds it to the fountain, hoping the presence of her arrow will do something. "Dragons unnerve me. They are clever. Too clever."

Kish
2015-08-11, 11:19 PM
When Kieryian speaks the word on the fountain, "Nainarya," the dragon's mouth that comprises the fountain's spout begins to trickle a deep red liquid.

"This way to goblins," Meepo affirms. "They probably not behind that door though."

Cardea
2015-08-11, 11:31 PM
"Kieryian, you did something. What do you think this is?" Urnin asks, as her arrow goes out.

Beam
2015-08-12, 12:42 PM

"Interesting." Jaluk says at the sight of the liquid. "Maybe it's some sort of fiery liquid. Alchemist's fire perhaps?"

Cardea
2015-08-12, 02:37 PM
"If it was alchemist fire, would it... not be on fire? I was led to know that the substance was on fire when touching air." Urnin says. She takes her arrow, now extinguished, and dips it into the liquid.

Kish
2015-08-12, 06:31 PM
Dipping the arrow into the liquid produces no reaction, but after a minute or so, the liquid stops flowing.

Cavir
2015-08-12, 09:57 PM
Suga

Neither speaking draconic nor having arcane might, Suga moves forward some to check the four way intersection to the north using both his darkvision and nose.

Move to AR17 and AS17, looking and trying to pick up any scents and which way they are.
Perception [roll0]