PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcerer questions

Neverborn
2015-06-06, 03:54 PM
Hi all, i will be switching to a (L16) Sorcerer in our current campaign and i had a few questions...

1: I will take the Sage Bloodline, and i was unsure on how to read the Arcane Bolt power... On the damage it says: This ray deals 1d4 points of damage + 1 for every two sorcerer levels you possess.
Now does this mean it deals 1d4 base and then 1 point for every 2 caster levels, so my L16 Sorcerer would deal 1d4 +8 with it?
Or does it mean 1d4+1 per two caster levels, so my L16 Sorcerer would deal 8d4 +8 with it?
I am hoping for the second one, because the first interpretation would make it only useful at the lowest levels... While the second interpretation would make it remain useful even at higher levels...

2: I was looking at the spell Sonic Form, it says you are considered incorporeal. I was wondering which of the defenses/properties associated with being incorporeal you get from this... I guess the bit about only being harmed by incorporeal/magic weapons/spells/etc and even then taking half damage unless it is force damage applies? What about this bit: An incorporeal creature has no natural armor bonus but has a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma bonus (always at least +1, even if the creature’s Charisma score does not normally provide a bonus).

Does this only apply to a creature that is naturally incorporeal, or would my Sorcerer lose his AC bonus from his Amulet of Natural Armor but gain a Deflection bonus based on his Cha for the duration of the spell?

Thanks for the help!

Lord of Shadows
2015-06-06, 07:29 PM
1: I will take the Sage Bloodline, and i was unsure on how to read the Arcane Bolt power... On the damage it says: This ray deals 1d4 points of damage + 1 for every two sorcerer levels you possess.
Now does this mean it deals 1d4 base and then 1 point for every 2 caster levels, so my L16 Sorcerer would deal 1d4 +8 with it?
Or does it mean 1d4+1 per two caster levels, so my L16 Sorcerer would deal 8d4 +8 with it?
I am hoping for the second one, because the first interpretation would make it only useful at the lowest levels... While the second interpretation would make it remain useful even at higher levels...

Unfortunately, I believe that this is the first one, 1d4 + 8. If it meant another d4 of damage it would have been worded differently. It may not sound like much, but it is a force effect, which gives it some oomph, and you can do it multiple times per day.

grarrrg
2015-06-06, 08:18 PM
1. You only ever get the _1_ d4, the main 'benefit' of this ability is to save spell slots at low levels. Most 1st level "caster bonuses" provide some cheap (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/evocation) form (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/fire-domain) of 'attack spell'. They are rarely worth using at higher levels.

2. As I understand it, you get full benefits/penalties of being Incorporeal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Incorporeal-Ex-) (so no Nat Armor, but you do get CHA>AC..), with whatever extra benefits/restrictions that are applied by the Sonic Form spell (such as no passing through objects, taking damage while silenced, etc...).

Kurald Galain
2015-06-07, 01:19 AM

Realistically speaking, a L16 sorcerer has more than twenty spells per day of level 5 and above. This means that during every single round of combat, he can cast a L5 or higher spell, and the day will be over well before he runs out of these high level spells.

So he really doesn't need an arcane bolt at all. Even if it were 8d4+8, then that would be unimpressive compared to your high level spellls.

Neverborn
2015-06-07, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!
I was afraid it would be the first one for the Arcane Bolt... Sucks losing Arcane Bond for that...
But it is true that i have many powerful spells so i won't really miss it...

As for Sonic form, that is good to know, though i realised after posting this that since i decided to go Sage, my Cha is now a dump stat (i took the trait that lets you use Int for the important parts of Diplomacy/Bluff), so no impressive Deflection Bonus for me... Still seems like a nice defensive spell...

Yanisa
2015-06-07, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!
I was afraid it would be the first one for the Arcane Bolt... Sucks losing Arcane Bond for that...
But it is true that i have many powerful spells so i won't really miss it...

If you want a familiar, you can exchange your arcane bolt for a Bloodline Familiar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar#TOC-Bloodline-Familiars). It does also mean you get Power Word:Stun and Wish a level later.

torrasque666
2015-06-07, 02:48 AM
If you want a familiar, you can exchange your arcane bolt for a Bloodline Familiar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar#TOC-Bloodline-Familiars). It does also mean you get Power Word:Stun and Wish a level later.
Those are only for a specific few bloodlines, and Sage is not one of the options. Arcane is, but not Sage. In fact, I'm not seeing any Wildblood options.

Yanisa
2015-06-07, 03:18 AM
Those are only for a specific few bloodlines, and Sage is not one of the options. Arcane is, but not Sage. In fact, I'm not seeing any Wildblood options.

GMs may use the following bloodline familiar abilities as written, or employ them as guidelines for devising bloodline familiar abilities for bloodlines not listed below.
Any bloodline can take them, that much is clear.

As for the ability gotten that is something to talk with the DM. Quick and easy suggestions from me are: 1) Pick the arcane bloodline 2) drop the special ability and the delayed spell 3) allow your familiar cast (deliver touch spells?) at 1 higher cl because sages are smart and so are their familiars. 4) don't got an ability (this one is stupid.)

Disclaimer: Your DM mileage may vary.

torrasque666
2015-06-07, 03:41 AM
Any bloodline can take them, that much is clear.RAW? No, only the listed ones can. It does state that it can be used as guidelines for creating new ones, but as you said, DM mileage may vary on homebrew. Granted, YDMMMV on any homebrew.

Yanisa
2015-06-07, 03:47 AM
RAW? No, only the listed ones can. It does state that it can be used as guidelines for creating new ones, but as you said, DM mileage may vary on homebrew. Granted, YDMMMV on any homebrew.

Where does it say you can only take a bloodline familiar if your bloodline matches the given? I don't see it.

torrasque666
2015-06-07, 03:51 AM
Where does it say you can only take a bloodline familiar if your bloodline matches the given? I don't see it.
Here

Those with an inherent connection to magic often attract creatures who feel a similar instinctive pull toward magical forces. At 1st level, a sorcerer, bloodrager, or any other character with one of the following bloodlines can choose to gain a bloodline familiar. The character gains a familiar (as a wizard's familiar), treating her class level as her wizard level for the purposes of this ability. This familiar has an additional ability listed below based on the master's bloodline.
emphasis mine

So I guess, theoretically, a dual-blooded sorcerer's familiar would gain two abilities, rather than one.

Yanisa
2015-06-07, 03:56 AM
Here

emphasis mine

So I guess, theoretically, a dual-blooded sorcerer's familiar would gain two abilities, rather than one.

Ah I see.

I do counter with: Wildblooded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded) sorcerers still count as their original bloodline.

A wildblooded sorcerer has a mutated version of a more common bloodline, with one arcana and at least one bloodline power that are different from those of an unmutated bloodline. When creating a wildblooded sorcerer, select an existing bloodline, then select one of the following mutated bloodlines associated with that bloodline. Use the normal bloodline’s class skill, bonus spells, and bonus feats, and the mutated bloodline’s bloodline arcana. Use the normal bloodline’s bloodline powers, except when the mutated bloodline replaces one of those powers.

So you have taken the Arcane Bloodline and then modified it. You still posses said Arcane Bloodline.

This is getting long and off-topic, if there is more discussion I do think we should start a new thread.

Neverborn
2015-06-07, 04:30 PM
Hmmm... I do find it very interesting though.... So by that reading i could swap out my fairly useless Arcane Bolt and still get a Familiar, at the cost of getting my Bloodline spells 1 level later? (And still get the main benefit of the Sage Bloodline)