PDA

View Full Version : Energy Elementals?

Rockphed
2007-04-24, 01:13 AM
I was thinking about the inner planes, and I noticed that two thirds of them are almost pure elements. The other two have very sketchy descriptions in the DMG. In the 4 elemental planes, the main creatures are elementals. True, some outsiders show up from time to time, but it is pretty much just the elementals. However, there are no inhabitants listed for the PE or NE planes. The conditions are not even described in any but the vaguest of terms.

What are the inhabitants of the Positive and Negative energy planes like? Are they elementals? If so, what are their general abilities? Is the negative energy plane shock full of undead? What happens if an undead creature enters the positive energy plane?

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-24, 01:29 AM
Generally, people start gaining negative levels at like 1/round in the NE plane, and gaining temporary levels at 1/round in the PE plane... But the thing is if you hit 0- levels, you die, and if you hit twice your normal level in temporary levels, you explode. Brilliantly. *Pashew*

Dhavaer
2007-04-24, 02:15 AM
The Negative and Positive energy planes are inhabited by squidy things called Xag-ya and Xag-yi, or something similar. They're like matter and anti-matter, they explode when they touch.

Starsinger
2007-04-24, 02:19 AM
Generally, people start gaining negative levels at like 1/round in the NE plane, and gaining temporary levels at 1/round in the PE plane... But the thing is if you hit 0- levels, you die, and if you hit twice your normal level in temporary levels, you explode. Brilliantly. *Pashew*

Almost Mojotech.. you gain fast healing (like 5?) in the PE plane, which can exceed your normal hp. When it doubles your hp you explode. The easiest thing to do, is constantly whack yourself with a spell or weapon that deals damage over time.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 03:37 AM
I made up some monsters to address this very issue... http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39339

Lord Tataraus
2007-04-24, 05:56 AM
Well, I know that the Lumi lives on the PE plane, and they're awesome!

KoDT69
2007-04-24, 06:59 AM
In 2nd edition there was a Negative Elemental in the Return to the Tomb of Horrors boxed adventure. They were quite nasty. Every time they hit you all your items had to make saving throws or wither away. Good creature to remove items with! :smallyuk:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-24, 07:48 AM
Quasi-elementals are elementals that are part positive or negative energy. They're mostly represented by the Mephits in the Monster Manual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elemental_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Quasi-Elementals

Meat Shield
2007-04-24, 09:38 AM
The Negative and Positive energy planes are inhabited by squidy things called Xag-ya and Xag-yi, or something similar. They're like matter and anti-matter, they explode when they touch.
Xag-Ya and Xeg-Yi (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/crypt/xag-ya_and_xeg-yi.htm)

Caelestion
2007-04-24, 12:09 PM
Get hold of the 2nd Edition Planescape setting and its Monstrous Compendiums. All the planar creatures you could possibly want!

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 12:13 PM
You can find a 3.5 update of the RttToH's Negative Energy Elemental here:

http://www.planewalker.com/codex/download.php

The Denizens of the Inner Planes download also includes some other Positive and Negative denizens as well as showing a list of encounters for both planes with references to which books they show up in.

silentknight
2007-04-24, 12:28 PM
I believe the Glimmerskin from MM2 is a positive energy being.

And there is a gargoyle-like creature from FR that is healed by neg energy that could live on the Neg Plane.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-24, 01:04 PM
And there is a gargoyle-like creature from FR that is healed by neg energy that could live on the Neg Plane.

Not with its existing fluff. That kind of Gargoyale is some kind of material plane god-hating thing. Could adapt it but it doesn't really add anything.

Umbral Blots from the Epic Book would be scary.

Matthew
2007-04-24, 03:19 PM
The six elements of D&D never made much sense to me. Earth, Air, Water, Fire and Void always seemed to make better sense to me.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 03:23 PM
2nd ed had them....

Matthew
2007-04-24, 03:24 PM
Had what? Five Elements? I think it was always six. (perhaps you mean Negative and Positive Energy Elementals?)

Lyinginbedmon
2007-04-24, 05:38 PM
Ravids also live on the Positive Energy plane, and my own personal creation, the Centons (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=11656216&postcount=1), can survive it (And indeed, have to to avoid sleep-esque fatigue)

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 05:40 PM
that is what i meant, i think they were called either enermentals or soething like that

martyboy74
2007-04-24, 05:48 PM
I believe that the technical term for death-by-too-many-extra-hit-points-gained-from-being-on-the-Positive-Energy-plane is 'death by awesome'.

Caelestion
2007-04-24, 06:54 PM
Only of course, D&D didn't invent the elements. They go all the way back to the Classical times to the easily observable commodities of air, earth (wood, stone, soil), fire and water. It was perhaps Plato who envisioned the fifth element - Quintessence - to bind the other elements together.

For the record, the complete collection of Inner Planes is:
Air, Smoke, Fire, Magma, Earth, Ooze, Water, Ice;
Positive, Lightning, Radiance, Gem, Steam;
Negative, Vacuum, Ash, Dust, Salt;
Not forgetting the Ethereal of course, which envelops all of them.