PDA

View Full Version : Dragonrider

Falcos
2015-06-07, 02:59 AM
Hi all! Me again.

Today, I was messing around in a low-income campaign as a ranger, and I had occasion to befriend a Yu Lung (From OA).

The DM mentioned to me that I can use the Yu Lung, once it grows up, as a mount, so I was thinking of taking the Dragonrider PrC. He also mentioned that it can grow into any Lung of my choice.

So, here I am asking for advice on mounted archery (I am a ranged ranger), whether or not the Dragonrider PrC is worth taking, and what kind of Lung dragon people would advise for riding into combat, as well as any dragon riding advice. I've been reading a lot of mount guides, but they all seem geared towards terrestrial mounts, so I'm wondering what I should do with the dragon.

Thanks in advance.

Ganorenas
2015-06-07, 10:49 AM
Do you know if you will be able to select your new friend's feats?

Tien Lungs are exceptional flying mounts, I'm afb at the moment but those were prominent in a previous campaign I participated in, so they standout in my mind.

I'd assume feats to increase your range would be great, should be a handbook out there for that. Far shot is all I'm recalling right now.
Though maybe you don't need an increased range since your mount's movement is likely to be quite good.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-07, 12:12 PM
It seems you can get a super cool, powerful mount. However, I believe both a lung dragon (due to its relative lack of range abilities and its bad or clumsy manoverability) and the dragonrider class would hinder an archer ranger's style.
It doesn't improve casting, it won't help you for your skills, it seems better for a melee fighter, especially a paladin or a fighter. I suppose there are rider or dragon riding class better suited to an archer. Dragonlance may have a few, I'm pretty sure you should find others, like Wild Plains Outrider even if it's also better for meleers.

Otherwise, your DM gave you the opportunity to make a great tank riding a real monster. It will certainly make an archer character more powerful (but not a better archer than if you had a dire eagle) or you could focus on something else when the enemy comes within melee range (melee and lance oriented feats) to make the most of what you have.

Falcos
2015-06-07, 05:51 PM
I do believe I can select my new friend's feats.

Long-ranged sniping seems like a good idea, I have been looking into that.

As for the PrC, I've been looking around but can't make the mental connection myself. I'll look at Wild Plains Outrider.

I think I'll likely have a lance as a melee option in case for some reason I can't just fly off on my draconic buddy.