PDA

View Full Version : I'm new at GMing and need advice

Scottlang
2015-06-07, 04:33 AM
Hi all, I'm new at GMing, I've done a few games, but I'm stumped, I'm running a game for a group of newbies, I mean, real newbs, 1st time ever doing this, I'm running a game of Pathfinder, 2nd time running it, n this time it's not a pregen game, and I don't want a game of just hack n slash... I'm running with the idea of Black Beard as a Wyrd (half dark elf half ogre magi) who's a lich, he is raising undead to do his bidding, and is after 3 artifacts to find the necronimicon to become invinsible, amd obviously the players need to get there before he does, so as you see i have a high level to play to, but I dont want it to be hack n slash, the party is a half elf bard, a half elf cleric of Sarenrea, a half orc ranger (Fav enemy orc (due to his back ground)) and a dwarven barbarian who's aspiring to be a troll slayer (mowhawk n all) (n the enthusiasm of this group is legendary esp all the back stories) so I don't want to let them down, but I'm falling short on other encounters n puzzles (might get a map n cut it up for an actual puzzle) could you please give me suggestions...

They have just reached level 2...13/6/2015

Mendicant
2015-06-08, 02:29 PM
What level are your players at now? That'd help people suggest level-appropriate challenges for them.

As far as puzzles go: a map in several pieces is a pretty classic mcguffin, but it's not really a *puzzle* yet. One thing you might try is a map, in pieces, which isn't obviously a map. As an example: the "map pieces" are actually four square stone tiles with boxy geometric shapes on them. The boxy geometric shapes are actually stylized representations of the world's continents, or perhaps the islands of a well-known chain. When the four tablets are brought together and arranged correctly, their nature as a map is much easier to discern.

Another thing that can work when using maps as puzzles is making it clear that the map is indeed a map, but disguising the key information on the map with a small puzzle. For instance, you could mark the map with three obtuse angles in various places, such that if the rays of the three angles intersect at three points on the map, which correspond to the locations of your artifacts. You need multiple pieces of the map to find a single artifact, and you need every piece of the map to find all three.

Nibbens
2015-06-08, 02:44 PM
One of the artifacts is actually found - it's part of the crown jewels of a current king/regent. Make the players have to deal with courtly intrigue OR even better yet - have one of black beard's contemporaries show up and is buddying up with the king so he can either steal it and blame it on the PCs or kill the king, take the artifact and blame it on the PCs...

Or some-such.

Mendicant
2015-06-08, 02:54 PM
One of the artifacts is actually found - it's part of the crown jewels of a current king/regent. Make the players have to deal with courtly intrigue OR even better yet - have one of black beard's contemporaries show up and is buddying up with the king so he can either steal it and blame it on the PCs or kill the king, take the artifact and blame it on the PCs...

Or some-such.

Yeah, that's a fun way to avoid each step of getting the mcguffin pieces being a straightforward dungeon crawl. It could make for a fun redirect in game, too. Mention at several points that the queen's diadem is made of jewels recovered from the "ancient ruins of Blub-Nszgor" or whatever, and the centerpiece is a hug ruby. Maybe even have the off-stage excavation of Blub-Nszgor be the discovery that set the whole race for the artifacts in motion in the first place. Then, at the end of a different adventure, the PC's discover that one of the artifacts was a massive ruby hidden away in Blub-Nszgor, and the light should go on--they aren't racing to another ancient tomb or deathtrap-laden dungeon, they're racing to the tailor to get royal-court appropriate duds.

BowStreetRunner
2015-06-09, 11:10 AM
To keep the hack-n-slash from overwhelming the game puzzles can be fun but I would also work on the social (CHA-based skill) portion of the game. A real simple way to accomplish this is with shifting faction loyalties. Present the players with various allies, enemies, and neutral parties but create situations where these relationships can be changed based on party interactions. Some examples:

On their way to battle an enemy, the party has a non-combat encounter with a neutral group. Depending on how that encounter goes the neutral group may join the party as allies, may go their separate way, or may even show up in the battle on the side of the enemy.
The macguffin requires special equipment for transporting - perhaps it weighs over a ton and has anti-magic properties that prevent the party from using magical means to transport it. A group of teamsters with the equipment to haul the macguffin is available, but if the PCs don't handle the negotiations with the teamsters well, the teamsters may make a side deal with another faction to help steal the macguffin back from the PCs.
A former servant of the enemy was mistreated by his boss and offers to help the PCs. However, depending on how the PCs handle him, this contact may not share all of the useful information he has, and if mistreated may even give them bad info.

CelestialSloth
2015-06-09, 12:18 PM
You could have an intelligent cockroach monster follow them around secretly, and then have it appear right before the "boss fight".
Or, you could have a room with a portal puzzle in a dungeon - everyone likes portal puzzles!

Nibbens
2015-06-09, 12:35 PM
Or, you could have a room with a portal puzzle in a dungeon - everyone likes portal puzzles!

If you're referring to "Portal" then yes (although this would be difficult to pull off in game as a simple stoneshape spell will all but negate walls of a dungeon) but if you're referring to old school JRPGs type of portal puzzle... then no. Don't do these. Whatever you do! haha.

Also, If you're after something that's not so hack-n-slashy then take a page out of the Rise of the Rune Lords AP.

At a certain point, the PCs enter a haunted mansion which is filled with very very few creatures - but is chocked full of haunts (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mastery/haunts.html). Each haunt is preceded by a vision that is tied to it - which reveals a little bit about the history of the haunted mansion and which ultimately ties into the main story. The haunt then hits the player and they make or fail the save taking a spell effect of some sort which is re-fluffed to fit the event. (See the haunt section for info). Your version doesn't have to be a haunted mansion with no monsters - but how about a haunted ruin or dungeon that the artifact resides in?

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-09, 01:40 PM
A map piece isn't in a dungeon or faraway jungle temple, it is in the vault of a very wealthy noble with a very ugly daughter who he wants to marry off. He is willing to part with this map piece because 1.) his dad was a collector, he isn't, 2.) it is better if family wealth is kept safe and he is willing to trade it to ensure his family line.

This is so not hack n slash it almost hurts. PCs can make it so by breaking into his lightly fortified manor a la heist. Or, they can figure out how to marry this woman off using diplomancy, bluff, magic item creation, etc.

Segev
2015-06-09, 04:51 PM
Perhaps they have a patron who gives them cryptic clues, but only works through catpaws. Eventually, they might discover that it is in reality an aboleth who wants the artifact of immortality for himself. Or, rather, wants to ensure that Blackbeard does NOT find it, because it is the secret to his own dark power. And using it for Blackbeard's invincibility will sever him from it.

Scottlang
2015-06-13, 05:21 AM
I like this one, I will use this...

A map piece isn't in a dungeon or faraway jungle temple, it is in the vault of a very wealthy noble with a very ugly daughter who he wants to marry off. He is willing to part with this map piece because 1.) his dad was a collector, he isn't, 2.) it is better if family wealth is kept safe and he is willing to trade it to ensure his family line.

This is so not hack n slash it almost hurts. PCs can make it so by breaking into his lightly fortified manor a la heist. Or, they can figure out how to marry this woman off using diplomancy, bluff, magic item creation, etc.

Scottlang
2015-06-13, 05:25 AM
Thanks for some of the ideas, I like the map part, the players have literally leveled up to level 2,the game has only had 2 sessions, going into its 3rd (14/06/2015) so it's still early days... I also like the cha based events, maybe get some negotiations for one or 2 of the items, the items are a magical compass, a map, a magical sword (like the Black Beards sword from the 4th pirates of the Caribbean) and then the Flying Dutchman, as those are the keys to be able to find the necronomicon, the compass I already have sorted... The royal court would be an interesting event, but my skills at those are left wanting... Lol

What level are your players at now? That'd help people suggest level-appropriate challenges for them.

As far as puzzles go: a map in several pieces is a pretty classic mcguffin, but it's not really a *puzzle* yet. One thing you might try is a map, in pieces, which isn't obviously a map. As an example: the "map pieces" are actually four square stone tiles with boxy geometric shapes on them. The boxy geometric shapes are actually stylized representations of the world's continents, or perhaps the islands of a well-known chain. When the four tablets are brought together and arranged correctly, their nature as a map is much easier to discern.

Another thing that can work when using maps as puzzles is making it clear that the map is indeed a map, but disguising the key information on the map with a small puzzle. For instance, you could mark the map with three obtuse angles in various places, such that if the rays of the three angles intersect at three points on the map, which correspond to the locations of your artifacts. You need multiple pieces of the map to find a single artifact, and you need every piece of the map to find all three.

Scottlang
2015-06-13, 05:26 AM
The think is he's already come back as a Lich, he's now trying to become more powerful, and after the necronomicon...

Perhaps they have a patron who gives them cryptic clues, but only works through catpaws. Eventually, they might discover that it is in reality an aboleth who wants the artifact of immortality for himself. Or, rather, wants to ensure that Blackbeard does NOT find it, because it is the secret to his own dark power. And using it for Blackbeard's invincibility will sever him from it.

Scottlang
2015-06-13, 05:28 AM
This is a really interesting suggestion, I like it, and it will be used... I just need to think how to use it... As I will be going to the sea, might be a bargaining chip to get them out on the ocean... Lol

Scottlang
2015-06-13, 05:32 AM
This is how I want to play the 1st sub boss for my game, as in not fight to the death... But I'm not sure how to get the players not to kill him... And also how to relay the relevant information...

To keep the hack-n-slash from overwhelming the game puzzles can be fun but I would also work on the social (CHA-based skill) portion of the game. A real simple way to accomplish this is with shifting faction loyalties. Present the players with various allies, enemies, and neutral parties but create situations where these relationships can be changed based on party interactions. Some examples:

On their way to battle an enemy, the party has a non-combat encounter with a neutral group. Depending on how that encounter goes the neutral group may join the party as allies, may go their separate way, or may even show up in the battle on the side of the enemy.
The macguffin requires special equipment for transporting - perhaps it weighs over a ton and has anti-magic properties that prevent the party from using magical means to transport it. A group of teamsters with the equipment to haul the macguffin is available, but if the PCs don't handle the negotiations with the teamsters well, the teamsters may make a side deal with another faction to help steal the macguffin back from the PCs.
A former servant of the enemy was mistreated by his boss and offers to help the PCs. However, depending on how the PCs handle him, this contact may not share all of the useful information he has, and if mistreated may even give them bad info.

jiriku
2015-06-13, 08:46 AM
Big bad liches tend to have all sorts of enemies. Perhaps the PCs are approached by some of the lich's existing enemies, and they ask the PCs to help them do xyz to combat the lich's activities. However, these foes of the lich aren't nice people -- they're a criminal gang or a group of wererats or a cult dedicated to an unsavory god or maybe all of those things at once -- the players want allies, and they want to oppose the lich, but these aren't the sort of allies you want. If they accept the deal, they get help against the lich but may their new allies may turn on them once he's defeated, or their enemies may now become the PCs enemies as well. If they decide to fight both the lich and his foes, they've now got a battle on two fronts -- but perhaps someone who wasn't willing to help before now steps up and offers aid, since they've demonstrated themselves to be foes of evil in all its forms.