PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying A Song of Ice and Fire rpg - night's watch character

the hogfather
2015-06-07, 06:00 AM
So my friends and me are starting a Song of Ice and Fire campaign, most of my friends are planing on creating a noble house, sellswords and knights.
I on the other hand want to play a brother of the night's watch, which woud not be a problem if we weren't playing far away from the Wall, in places like Dorne and King's Landing ( we are actaly starting with the adventure "Peril in king's landing"). So I need some advice; "How can I make this work, a brother of the night's watch travelling with a group of nobles trough the seven kingdoms and beyond."
I have tought of being a so called "wandering crow", travelling the seven kingdoms in search of recruits for the night's watch. There is the option of my character wanting to join the night's watch, but that he is not yet a part of it. The only thing I do not want for my character is to be a deserter.
I would very much appreciate advice and backstory ideas :D

I3igAl
2015-06-07, 07:23 AM
So my friends and me are starting a Song of Ice and Fire campaign, most of my friends are planing on creating a noble house, sellswords and knights.
I on the other hand want to play a brother of the night's watch, which woud not be a problem if we weren't playing far away from the Wall, in places like Dorne and King's Landing ( we are actaly starting with the adventure "Peril in king's landing"). So I need some advice; "How can I make this work, a brother of the night's watch travelling with a group of nobles trough the seven kingdoms and beyond."
I have tought of being a so called "wandering crow", travelling the seven kingdoms in search of recruits for the night's watch. There is the option of my character wanting to join the night's watch, but that he is not yet a part of it. The only thing I do not want for my character is to be a deserter.
I would very much appreciate advice and backstory ideas :D

You could be on a mission for some obscure magic knowledge. There could be a sage/old book/propecy from some madman with info on the white walkers or similar stuff. The main villains of the campaign might be tied to it and make your search a lot more complicated.
Or the campaign villains stole old scrolls or dragonglass directly from the wall and you were send to investigate it.

I would ask the GM, since you not only need a reason to be in Dorne, but also to help the group.

Psyren
2015-06-07, 03:54 PM
The only reasons you would be sent south from the Wall would be to recruit, to deliver something (e.g. a message too important to trust to a raven) or to retrieve something (e.g. a stolen item as 13igAl suggested.) I would personally go with his suggestion as that is the most likely thing to keep you South for whatever length of time is necessary until the mission is done, without being considered a deserter.