PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes of the past IC

Pages : [1] 2

dantiesilva
2015-06-07, 12:50 PM
Are you sure they can be trusted, they are all outsiders who do not know the truth about what happened? a female voice asks the empty air, as if speaking to someone right by her side, however magic is carrying this conversation. I would not have chosen them if they could not be trusted. says a deep voice in reply. But you have recruited dwarves, you know what they think, they still believe we declared a war on their people and only recently have come out of their fortresses with the arrival of orcs and humans. At least the gnomes understood what we were trying to do and helped us. This is not open for debate, if we sent our own the dwarves would declare it an act of aggression due to them having trade set up in that area, do you want another war? No. Then trust me and go to the human thorp, ask for Thorunn, trust me when I say you will know her when you see her. She will be the ones to call the selected into a meeting, you are not to speak to any of them until they have arrived. Will you be filling the report then? If the government learns about what we are doing their will be widespread panic and fear. Just follow your orders and go.

You had all received a letter weeks ago, asking you to come to an small trading post on the outskirts of human territory. You had all heard tales of random attacks, and the barbarians going silent, however you would have thought that they would have called for someone more experienced to take care of this matter. It doesn't matter now however as you can all see from your varying directions of travel, the thorp in the distance where you are supposed to meet your contractor Thorunn. It is said the woman rose to power beating the previous sheriff in a battle, and when he tried to take his position back she killed him as an example, in her town she was the law. To question it was to question how long you wanted to live.

Marlowe
2015-06-07, 01:32 PM
Amalasuntha "Miss" Jones spares a glance at the patterns of smoke across the sky, weaving from the chimneys of the nearyby town, and rests her glaive briefly. It's been a fair walk today, and her shoulders are stiff. So, a long walk into the middle of nowhere to work under a violent psychopath. We sure know how to pick 'em, girl. she thinks to herself. Closely followed by, We could have bought a horse or a mule or something. And done what with them once we got here? It's not like we're a horse soldier. You never wanted to be a soldier at all. No, you wanted to spend your life upstairs with a good tome and a warm apprentice, but you're not damn smart enough-oh shush. She bites her lip. this train of thought is not new to her and it's never led anywhere good.

Least we're not alone. she thinks, as other figures come into view along the trail. Hope they don't ask our name. Nobody ever gets our name right. And then they think we're being precious when we ask to be called "Miss". Nothing for it though, she's a lot of experience at knowing she's not that most inconspicuous of people. "Ho there!" she shouts down the trail. "Summons of Thorunn? Amalasuntha Jones." she calls to the other adventurers. "That's just Miss Jones, for now. I mean, for short. Who's here?"

dextercorvia
2015-06-07, 01:39 PM
Wisp slips from tree to tree on her way to meet this contact Thorunn. As she walks, she reflects on her missing diamonds. I don't know how Thorunn knew about my lost shipment. None of my contacts ever mentioned law enforcement. Still, what choice do I have. This conflict has lost me almost my entire fortune. If I don't replace those diamonds, I'll be lucky to be begging outside a temple.

She perks up her ears at the sound of a squirrel. Her finely tuned senses were used to distinguishing the scuttle of rats' paws from the scuff of a footpad on the prowl. But, out here in the wilds, every sound she hears sends Wisp diving for cover. The waystation is visible in the distance. How it warranted being called a thorpe, Wisp cannot comprehend. The only thing it has going for it is a wall.

Beam
2015-06-07, 04:29 PM
As Grondo neared the end of his trek he considered the mystery of his summons. The rumors he'd heard of this Thorrun woman were unsettling to say the least. A ranger could always be of use in the wilds, but the strangeness of picking someone as relatively undistinguished as himself was puzzling. Still, he'd never been this far out on the frontier and he was motivated mostly by curiosity.

Grondo perks up at the polearm wielding woman's hail. "Summons of Thorrun?" he asks. So I'm not the only one. I'm called Grondo Ironskull. He looks down towards the thorp. "Time to solve this mystery"

DrK
2015-06-07, 04:29 PM
Igor Von Grimm

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/106/d/c/cleric_comm_by_yamao-d61yq9x.jpg

Igor trudged down the road shoulders and legs weary from the long walk and the chafing pressure of the thick banded mail and shield on his back. The weapons at least felt comfortable at his waist. Lost in thought he mused on the fortune that had persuaded High Priest Vel to allow him to leave the Temple and investigate the strange rumours. The fact that the woman he was going to work was notorious was beside the point as long as he obeyed the law and did not treat with the walking dead.

Looking up he saw a woman with a glaive and a hint of memory, Damn. I had hoped to be far from the Mother Church. No-one wants to be watched, I hope this woman doesn't want a blessing or I'll have to make something up. He thought to himself before, arranging his holy symbol to be most obvious and raising a hand towards the warrior woman and shouting loudly so as not to startle an armed stranger on the open road. "Greetings neighbour. Blessings of the Ruby Goddess on you." Approaching warily he could see a couple more strange adventuresome folk also in the distant all seeming to pause on the outskirts of town. "How do you do? You look familiar, is it possible we have met in training amongst the Temple?"

Igor may have met or seen Amalasuntha if she's passed through a temple at some point so will approach her first.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-07, 06:20 PM
Dekar

The stamping of booted feet moving at a remarkably brisk pace can be heard long before its cause can be seen. Last to arrive among the adventurers is a dwarven warrior, hustling up the trail in half-plate and armed to the teeth. An arrow protrudes strangely from the meat of his shoulder, but he seems not to notice it. On his chest, visible beneath a beard colored like copper and coffee, is a holy symbol wrought of iron; a solid mug overtop a simple square block.

"An honorable greeting to all o' ye!" he calls out as he slows to a stop. To Grondo, he smiles wide and speaks in gravelly Dwarven, "Urnd mied, duraz-brathrein." [1] He spies a symbol of Wee Jas around the neck of Igor von Grimm, but says nothing as of yet; they were each just meeting, after all!

If necessary, anyone with a decent or even entry level Knowledge (religion) score could identify the holy symbol as that of Hanseath, a dwarven god of War, Drinking, Travel, and Carousing. Additionally, anyone who knows Dwarf culture or history is free to know about my clan, the Shatterhorn clan.

I hope it's okay to notice the holy symbol your character is wearing DrK, I feel clerics might spot that sort of thing. Dekar personally approves of Wee Jas, and fharlanghn for that matter, so I hope to get a chance to talk about that soon.

30 minutes ago, Dekar cast Longstrider on himself; it will last for another 30 minutes.

For Dwarven Speakers
And to you, stone-brother.

dextercorvia
2015-06-07, 09:21 PM
Wisp

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a8/83/73/a88373b558717226fe8ee82c96fecbb9.jpg

Hearing the others great each other in a friendly manner and hearing Thorunn's name, Wisp peers out from behind a tree and decides it would be alright to make contact. She drifts toward them. "Good day, I'm Wisteria Greymote, a merchant from Corterus. I believe I overheard you mention that you also needed to meet with Thorunn? What a happy coincidence that we should arrive at the same time."

Marlowe
2015-06-07, 09:23 PM
Amalasuntha makes a somewhat hasty reply to Igor; "Indeed. Blessings. May your sands run slow and straight." We're not expected to talk like this all the time are we? I'll run out of clever things to say about sand. "Mr Ironskull, Divine...Short Person, it's good to be with you both. I mean, good to be travelling with you both. What's this business about a mystery?"

Then Wist pops out from wherever she's been rustling. Miss Jones manages to avoid giving a start.

Beam
2015-06-07, 09:26 PM
Grondo

"Stone-brother." Grondo replied back in Dwarven. He'd seen few dwarves in his travels, most avoided human or elven lands. He took him for an adventuring priest. He glanced at the male human. Two priests. And a warrior woman. That's good if there was to be fighting.

"Do any of you folk know why we are here? I've heard only rumors of the barbarians disappearing and violence"

Marlowe
2015-06-07, 09:30 PM
"Barbarians and violence makes for a mystery now?" say Amalasuntha, looking quizzical. "Anyway, nice to meet you, Miss Greymote. I'm Jones. Amalasuntha Jones. Just Miss Jones will do. You can probably guess the sort of mangle people make of a name like Amalasuntha."

Trenchfoot
2015-06-07, 09:36 PM
Dekar

The dwarven priest jumps briefly as the whisper gnome fades into his awareness. Had she been there the whole time? It felt like an image from a dream had just slithered up from the fuzziest recesses of his memory.

Recovering from the start, Dekar withdraws the written invitation from a spot in the traditional tunic underneath his armor. The letter is beer-soaked, blood-stained and sweaty, but it's still partially legible.

"An' I'll be Dekar Shatterhorn, fer the namin'. Accordin' to this here letter I got, someone's deemin' it a mystery worth hirin' our lot to investigate!"

dextercorvia
2015-06-07, 10:37 PM
Wisp

"Well, Miss Jones, if you'd like you may call me Wisp," the halfling woman offers, "My mother called me that, and all my nieces and nephews have kept it up. The same goes for the rest of you, Miss Greymote is what my customers call me. I received a letter the same as you. But, my curiosity was piqued before that. This trouble has been bad for business. Corterus relies on imports quite heavily."

Marlowe
2015-06-07, 10:46 PM
"Indeed, it is an honour, Wisp. And likewise an honour too; Divine Dekar" "DIVINE DEKAR?!" just listen to us.

Does Miss Jones recognise Dekar's holy symbol and know anything about his god?

[roll0]

"What sort of business might you be in, Miss Wisp?" she asks cluelessly while groping for something appropriate to say to the Dwarven Cleric.

dextercorvia
2015-06-07, 11:07 PM
Wisp

"I was, until quite recently in the import business. I handled many types of trade for my regular customers, but the bulk of my business was importing trade goods that are not readily available in the cities. Did you know that there is a breed of mountain sheep that gives the absolute softest wool. It feels like clouds are lining your gloves. So, I think you can see why I'm quite interested to get to the bottom of this, and resume trade relations. Do any of the rest of you have more than a letter tying you to this gods forsaken outpost in the middle of nowhere?"

Marlowe
2015-06-07, 11:56 PM
Miss Jones shrugs. "It seems like the kind of job that might involve hitting people. I'm better at hitting people than I am at any of the things I actually wanted to be good at; like magic and lore and not blurting out personal things that people really didn't want to hear, so I suppose I was a logical choice, if choice there had to be."

Well done, that was almost smooth. Good job, us.

"As to why there's a choice at all, well let's just see."

Feeling she was forgetting someone, she turns back to Igor. "I spent some time in the Ruby Temple studying certain arcane techniques, so we might have shared a roof; but I can't say as I remember seeing you. I mean. I had my nose in books the whole time. I'm sure if I'd had a good look at you I'd remember you--not that I'd be taking a good look at you or anything--I mean not that you're not worth having a good look at...but, not that I'm the sort that would..."

We should probably be quiet now or change the subject or something.

"Isn't it nice weather?"

dantiesilva
2015-06-08, 10:55 AM
Hanseath as far as you know is a lesser dwarven god, known for drinking, and barbarism. Most of those who follow him are also known for charging headlong into a battle.

As you all introduce yourselves to each other you look down the hill you are standing on, covered in forest looking out onto a clear plains. The small thorp looks like it holds not more then 28 families at most judging by the number of houses you can see from this distance. You also notice a small stone wall, barely 3 feet tall, no doubt more to keep rogue animals out then invaders. The only real defense it seems to have going for it is that each house holds a roof, and the closer to the center of the small thorp it gets the higher the building gets, hard to tell the how high though from this distance.

To the south you notice something moving quickly towards the city, however it looks hurt, or in pain.

Beam
2015-06-08, 12:19 PM
"Look there." Grondo says, indicating the distant figure with his axe. "Something's wrong. If we hurry we can arrive at the settlement at the same time."

Trenchfoot
2015-06-08, 02:37 PM
Dekar

Dekar's dark eyes shine with approval as he spots Grondo's raised Dwarven Waraxe. He'd have to ask to inspect it later. For now, there was action to take to! With his God hastening his steps, he knew he could hustle just as well as any with longer legs.

"Aye, that's a somethin' alright!" he agrees, and with a grunt he surges forward, all dwarven muscle and curly beard charging to the strangely-moving thing! As he hustles, he squints, peering more closely at the target. What could it be? Whatever it was, they might be able to intercept it!

Note that Dekar has a move speed of 30 with Longstrider active. If Dekar is able to get through town and to the wounded 'thing', he will stop at 60 feet and call out "Hey you!"

DrK
2015-06-08, 03:42 PM
Igor blushes as much as Miss Jones at the clumsy words before grinning at her lack of stuffiness. Looking around the others and feeling rather tall he introduced himself to the others. "I am Igor Von Grimm. A devotee of the Ruby Goddess, though now curious as to what sort of employer would look for such a disparate bunch of individuals.

We of the order - or at least my bit of it... he mumbles eyeing Miss Jones, Have some concerns that when tribes start vanishing that the walking dead may be following. This would be a concern to us."

-----

As they walk towards the village and see the wounded "thing" Igor in fact doesn't see it. His eyesight eroded by years of staring at parchments and training in dark crypts is poor at best. Following the others he clanks down the hill after them curing inwardly the weight of the thick and immobile banded mail. "What is it? Is it trouble?" he asks the others as he pauses to pull out his shield and the comforting weight of the morning star.

Igor will follow the others after drawing his shield and morning star

dextercorvia
2015-06-08, 06:16 PM
"Someone is moving quickly toward the town, herr Von Grimm. Its movements are odd, like something wounded." Wisp starts after the others, but her eyes scan the distance beyond the stranger. In her experience, wounded creatures only run when they are being chased.

Spot [roll0]

Marlowe
2015-06-08, 08:40 PM
Miss Jones gives a faint internal prayer for the distraction. Then her eyes narrow at the mention of walking dead. "Something wounded? Or something DEAD?" she gives a low rasp, and hoists her glaive. "Come. Let's get to it before it reaches the town. Guard it in if it's innocent, deal with it if no."

And with that, she heads off toward the creature, aiming between it and the town. And she's several strides in front before it occurs to her that she's the only one in this group that isn't seriously short or slowed down by armour.

Great work brain, really put us on the spot here.

DrK
2015-06-09, 12:23 AM
Igor watches Miss Jones as she outpaces all of them on long legs. A woman of action. Definitely not the priggish religious type, maybe this won't be as bad as I feared. Ruby goddess be praised. He keeps up with the others pleased that even in his heavy armour he is as fast as the small ones.

Have a care all. We do not yet know the nature of the threat is bothering the local villages? Though it doesn't slow his rapid approach to the small Thorp

Marlowe
2015-06-09, 07:30 AM
This better not be wounded horse or a lost sheep thinks Miss Jones as she moves forward. Then I'll feel very stupid.

I hope the priest isn't checking out my legs.

Wait, what if he isn't checking out our legs? Aren't they good enough for him?

Focus, stupid brain.

dantiesilva
2015-06-09, 10:53 AM
As all but Igor see the figure in the distance, all begin to question what it could be. The walking dead, a horse, a stray sheep? You have no idea as you take out your weapons and begin chagrining down the hill towards the figure on the other side of the village. At first it seems like all except Miss Jones were hampered by their armor. However as she turned to look behind her she noticed the dwarf Dekar keeping pace with her as if this were a spring walk for him. It has only been seven minutes as the two of them arrive at the town wall and a voice calls down to them from above. I don't know who you are but if you do not drop those weapons we will be forced to open fire. And don't think we don't know about the others behind you. Just because they are slower then you, doesn't mean they are not twice as loud. The voice says, but where did it come from?

@All except Miss Jones and Dekar

As the rest of you break out into a jog you are a bit surprised when Dekar and Miss Jones split off from the group and begin putting a small gap between you and them. However while they arrive at the town before you, you can see that they have stopped just before entering, but why? That figure seemed to be getting closer to the thorp. It takes you another two minutes before you reach the same spot the others have. But what to do, keep running threw, or ask why they stopped.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-09, 11:20 AM
Dekar

The dour dwarf comes to a steady stop as the voice calls out. "Ahh, a weapons check!" he says aloud. "Good security practice. I'm likin' this lil' place already!"

The dwarf rolls his boulder-like shoulders and unclips a few fasteners. With a terrific 80-pound whomp! the gear comes free and thuds heavily onto the dirt. The weapons that aren't slung into it come free next; a Dwarven greataxe crudely inscribed with a symbol of a mug on either side, a long and simple spear with old blood slathered into the minute cracks of the wood, a heavy mace constructed of an oddly-colored metal, and finally a traditional dwarf-style dagger out of his boot. Last is a quiver of javelins, strung together lightly with a leather thong.

The warrior-priest steps away from this gear by a good 10 feet, taking care to move slowly. He says nothing further, waiting for the guard to call out questions or instructions. He will, at least, use a nod to the other adventurers as they arrive to indicate they ought to do the same.

Please assume that, despite a beard tending to partially cover it, Dekar's holy symbol is worn proudly and obvious to any casual observer. He carries no other armaments after removing the above-mentioned gear.

DrK
2015-06-09, 03:06 PM
Igor breathing heavily slows yo a halt, heart racing and short of breath as he reaches the others. Looking around he quickly gueses why the dwarf is dropping his gear. Coughing gently he hooks the morning star on his belt and raises a hand.

We saw something approaching the far side of the town and were moved to approach and help. We have been summoned by Thorunn.

dextercorvia
2015-06-09, 03:29 PM
Wisp did not care for running. She liked to appear prepared and collected, and that was basically impossible when you were running. She was concerned still that something might be chasing that approaching stranger, and it seemed like a good idea to get inside the wall before it arrived. So, she did her best to keep up with the armored man, Herr Von Grimm -- Igor I think he said.

When she catches up to the rest and sees they are dropping weapons, she wonders a bit at why. They seemed so bent on getting to the other side of the village just a minute ago, and now...? Fortunately, she doesn't have to decide what to do, as she never bothered to draw her crossbow. A compact model she'd purchased just for this expedition was tucked into an interior pocket of her cloak.

Wisp feels a prickling sensation that she experiences any time she feels vulnerable. She looks around as she approaches, then decides the best place to stop running would be immediately on the other side of Igor from the wall.

Beam
2015-06-09, 04:23 PM
Grondo

Grondo, seeing the others halt, stops next to them. He sees Dekar's considerable amount of weaponry on the ground and prudently follows suit. We seem to be getting off on the wrong foot, he thinks. He lets the others do the talking.

Marlowe
2015-06-09, 06:55 PM
Miss Jones looks left, looks right, and glares at the empty roofs of the thorpe. "We were called here to help you. With somewhat, we don't know. We brought our skills, we brought our spells, we brought our weapons and we will keep hold of them. I did not carry this steel all this way to teach home economics to those too craven to show their faces, or to welcome those they summoned."

dantiesilva
2015-06-10, 07:51 AM
@Dekar Being one of the first to arrive had its benefits, one was making sure things went smoothly, and so far this thorp seemed to be doing things the right way by a dwarf as you drop your weapons and armor on the ground and step back. We thank you for your understanding this should only take...

@Dekar and Miss Jones Thats when your fellow traveler speaks up starting to make a scene. And may I ask who sent for you? The voice asks from above as he waits a short time for the others to arrive. And most people who charge a town with weapons drawn, your galive, your friends morningstar, and armed to the teeth are trying to attack us. So you may find this as annoying, however we have to take care of our own. The man says clearly not liking Miss Jones very much.

@Party As the rest of you arrive you can see that there seems to be a divide forming in your group already. Igor speaking up about what you saw and who sent for you seems to have peaked the persons interest as a man walks to the edge of the roof and looks down, a bow strapped to his back. We already know about the other, it is already being addressed, however you said Sheriff Thorunn sent for you. This way please. The man says as he reaches the side of the house and dangles down before dropping the few feet down.

Now that you all can see the mysterious voice you note how young he is, this boy couldn't be more then 18 winters old. Messy brown hair dots his head, with a simple grade bow strapped to his back, with what looks like thirty arrows, as well as a short sword to his belt. If you want I can bring you to Thorunn now, sorry about earlier but you don't just let armed people run into your homes in this day and age without asking questions. I hope you can understand. The boy says as he holds out his hand. Names Gareth, one of Thorunns deputies.

Marlowe
2015-06-10, 08:39 AM
Amalaswentha goes very blank. And holds up her glaive. "You see this, clotpoll? Yes, it's a glaive. Standard infantry 2-handed cutting polearm. Eight feet of ash and two of steel.

"May I ask you how the bloody steaming mess in your pants I'm supposed to be carrying it "undrawn?"

"How am I supposed to "sheathe" it?

"Tell you what, come down here and bend over and I'll see it sheathed somewhere where you can't possibly see it. Since this is dangerous territory, you can bet we're traveling armed. How many bloody raiders do you get wearing full armour and holy symbols?

"Also, you cloth-eyed country-mouth, we weren't "charging" the town. You expect me to be climbing the wall with a polearm in my teeth? We were trying to head off whatever's approaching.

"You wanted to hail us, then hail us when we come into view, not when we're right under the walls. That's what we call an "ambush". Ordering people to drop their possessions at bow-point without showing or naming yourself is enough to get yourself hanged for brigandage. If you're not cut out for a career as a sentry, I'm sure you could manage being a head on a stake just fine.

"As for who called us. Thorunn. Like the man already said. Satisfied; you sow-sucking smegma-swallower?"

Miss Jones had had a good master at arms.

In a more convivial voice, she turns to Dekar and raps idly; "I know you're trying to do the right thing, Divine, but if you're going to drop your weapons every time somebody shouts at us in Common things might get quite tedious. We have no idea who these people are. How did you know the bandits; or whoever we're here to help with, hadn't taken over the town in the time it took us to get here?"

When Gareth appears, she favours him with a long, still stare. Then grinds out; "I would be quite prepared to wait, if it meant getting to talk to somebody that has the faintest idea what they're doing."

dextercorvia
2015-06-10, 09:33 AM
"Miss Jones." Wisp peaks out from behind Igor when Gareth shows himself. "Sometimes, even when we are right, it is better not to say so. The world is a very dangerous place right now, and this miserable hamlet has the only roof I've seen in some time. Our hosts may lack for the finer points of civilized conduct, but they do have this nice defensible wall, which I'd like to be on the other side of before whatever is chasing that creature on the other side arrives.

Later, I'll give you some pointers on the fine art of insulting someone. While 'swine sucking smegma swallower, is appealingly alliterative, it demonstrates a lack of knowledge about animal husbandry on your part that can be exploited in the rejoinder." Wisp hated to prey on the obvious insecurities of another woman oustide of business under normal circumstances, in this case it seemed warranted if it would diffuse the situation.

"Now, Master Gareth, please apologize to Miss Jones for implying she was a raider. And, Miss Jones, please apologize for the unflattering things you said about his dietary habits, and we can move this inside the walls."

dantiesilva
2015-06-10, 09:55 AM
As Miss Jones goes on a rant Gareth simply leans against the wall and yawns. Listening next to the other woman who had remained quite up until now. I am sorry Miss Jones for hurting your city life feelings that do not understand the finer details of living on the frontier where anyone can be a bandit no matter how well armored they look. I was a fool to think that a beautiful woman like yourself would be a threat to this city. Gareth says with an amused smile as he does a short bow.

Anyone who passes the roll notice Gareth wink to Wisp as if he was just doing what she asked to shut Miss Jones up.

Slowly Gareth then walks over to the smaller woman and lifts her hand up to his lips before kissing it. And thank you for making my job so much easier to accomplish this day. May your beauty last as long as the sun floats in the sky.

Marlowe
2015-06-10, 09:57 AM
Miss Jones flashes Wisp a thin smile, "I didn't say he couldn't be performing the two activities separately. Anyway; until we see Thorunn, we don't know that Mister Gareth here is not; in fact, a bandit. Certainly got the manners of one. Rightful population of this place could be lying with red throats in each others beds as we speak, while Mr Gareth delays us and his cronies lay in wait. Anything could have happened the time it took us to get here." She gives "Gareth" a long look, as though figuring out what size stake his head would need.

"Shall we investigate the beasty we came down here to investigate? That is why we're here. In the immediate sense. Not to discuss Mister Gareth's loathsome proclivities." She gives the young man a "knowing" wink. "Although we could do that if you'd like".

Beam
2015-06-10, 11:34 AM
By my beard, she seems to have a short fuse. Grondo thinks at Miss Jones' tirade. He picks up his weapons and prepares to follow this Gareth into the thorp. "Have you come under attack recently? By what, if I may ask." He asks him.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-10, 11:38 AM
Dekar

Dekar laughs off the human woman’s snide remarks as he slings his backpack on. With a strapping and a hefting and a dwarf-y heave-ho, he was back on his way to follow the crowd; he’d tighten down the rest of his arms and armor during a chat, unwilling to slow down progress. The arrow that had previously found safe haven in his shoulder snaps off during this process, and with an idle scratch he digs the point of the head out of the outermost level of toughened skin as though he were scratching out a mosquito. He doesn’t want to miss Deputy Gareth’s answer to Grondo Ironskul’s question, but he does take a brief moment the squint at the walls, wondering at their make and manufacture. Was it local stone? Something gathered together by man, or had a dwarf’s hands helped this barrier’s construction?

Alright, so! I’ll actually re-don my armor during a conversation or pause in the action here in a bit. It only takes him four minutes to do so according to armor-donning rules. I’m more interested in the wall! I’d like to make that immediate Dwarf-only ‘Search’ check to inspect the wall, with his natural +2 racial bonus.

Beam, Grondo ought to be able to make this too if you like, you hardly have to concentrate since we're dwarves.

[roll0]

DrK
2015-06-10, 03:42 PM
Igor's eyes swivel form side to side as he watches the interplay. As Gareth and the imposing warrior women argue he grins before offerig his own hand to the young man. "I am Igor. Even a we meet the sheriff it would be best for you to check the far side of town. My companions have sharp eyes... and in a much quieter voice "And sharp tongues."

Marlowe
2015-06-10, 10:30 PM
Miss Jones touches a hand to her forehead as Gareth adds Indecent Assault to his list of actionable offenses.This is the sort of thing we're making a deputy. If even he is. "I'm off to see to our encroaching presence. I did not come here to hide behind walls, nor to teach basic common sense, custom and practice, and the law to a warm streak of drool." She walks off around the wall, toward where the creature was last seen.

"If it's just a lost sheep or somewhat, we can see it safely in. If it's something dangerous, well...our job I suppose."

dextercorvia
2015-06-11, 10:21 AM
Wisp curtsies at Gareth's gesture, then lets him help her over the wall lest she have to scramble up it in an undignified fashion. "Master Gareth, could you please escort me to the other side of your village. I'm quite curious to know what that was approaching, and why it was running. Based on the ratio of the half-circumference to the diameter, I calculate that even at my reduced speed relative to hers, we can arrive just before Miss Jones."

She waves the others onward across the wall and into the thorpe.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-11, 10:40 AM
Dekar

Dekar follows Wisp's direction, painfully clueless about the construction of the wall even as he lays hands on it to climb over. He is immediately impressed with the halfling's analysis and calculation, despite being utterly unable to understand most of what she said! "I'm with ye, Ms. Greymote." he announces, letting her know he'd follow.

Even with his own personal disdain for nearly being drawn into the life of a city merchant, Dekar held no ill will for those who chose that path. As long as a person happily and freely chose their way, just as he had chosen the warrior's life and as the Jones woman had chosen to leave the group, then Dekar would not judge them. He might disagree or avoid, but he would not judge.

For positioning's sake, Dekar will use his enhanced speed to keep pace with Wisp, Dextercorvia's character. He will walk on her left side.

Beam
2015-06-11, 12:24 PM
Grondo

Grondo clambers over the low wall as well, taking a moment to try and ascertain its origins.

Craft check to identify wall: 1d20+2

Beam
2015-06-11, 12:27 PM
Sorry to double post, messed up my roll. Identify Wall [roll0]

dantiesilva
2015-06-11, 02:00 PM
As Miss Jones speaks to wisp Gareth seems to look more and more amused. Either you are a fool and a very good one at that, or you think way to highly of my intelligence. Gareth says amused at how much this woman was focusing on him. As for delaying you, how am I doing that, your friend was the smart one who said you were asked to come here, and your other friend needs to put his armor back on. If we were waiting for you to simply do as you were asked we would all have extra holes to breath out of by now. Gareth says seeming more then bored with this triad. And we could also talk about what we plan on serving you for dinner for as long as you stay as well. I am a really good cook when it comes to rat on a stick. Gareth replies back at her.

Thats when Grondo speaks up. Well my kind friend we recently have been attacked, about two weeks back in fact, the orc tribe that used to trade with us were the perpetrators. Why we are not sure, as far as we know we didn't break any of their customs, and from what Thorunn says, her mother would not have ordered the attack. Gareth says to all those who will listen. Since that attack we have had a few scouts outside of the town as an early warning system in case they tried attacking again, but well we haven't heard from them in a week now.

As the two of you study the wall, you notice now that you are closer up it is more like a farmers wall then anything a dwarf would consider a real wall. Louse stones piled on top of each other to make a barrier, nothing besides the weight of the one above keeping them in place. One good hit from something heavy no doubt could collapse a portion of it. And judging by the coloration you would have to guess the stones are found in this very soil, or in the woods you left only moments earlier.

If I would have to guess Thorunn is no doubt already there ready to put one of her arrows in it if its unfriendly, and I can tell you from personal experience they are sharper Igor. Gareth says getting ready to lead them when Miss Jones speaks up again. Not even bothering to argue with her he watches he begin to walk around the village before in a quieter voice. So who wants to bet Thorunn puts an arrow in her?

Helping the beautiful Wisp up and over the wall, Gareth seems more then happy to talk, and his whole demeanor has changed since miss Jones has left. Please just Gareth is fine, besides Thorunn none of us really have any titles, have no use for them out here. We have the law, and its deputies. So long as you don't infringe on others personal freedoms or steal we are fine. Most of us are all real close really, being a small community and all. And with the recent attacks, well me and William have been helping train some of the towns people with bows. Some know how to as they hunt for a living, but for the most part it is really only a few who know how to use any form of weapon efficiently. Gareth explains. As for getting you to the other side, sure right this way. Gareth says as he begins running at a pace to keep you all in his sight.

@All except Miss Jones

Walk through the small thorp is easy as you make your way into the center of the town, where a small market like area is set up. On your way here you have seen kids playing and a few people calling out to Gareth asking him a few questions. Gareth are these the people Thorunn said would help us? a little girl no older then eight winters asks as she looks up at all of you with wounder in her eyes as if she had never seen so many weapons, or dwarves before for that matter. Yes Elizabeth, if you see your father tell him not to try and kill the woman running along the outer wall, she is with them and has a bigger temper then that wounded wolf your family nursed okay? Yes sir. Elizabeth says doing a mock salute before running off into the crowd. As I said we are all like family here, and newcommers like yourselves will no doubt be the talk of the town for the next week or so. Gareth says continuing on his way.

About five minutes latter all of you arrive on the other side of the thorp, on the inside wall and look out, that figure you saw earlier was in fact a person, an nasty cut bleeds from his leg, even though it is bandaged up. William! Gareth calls out as he immediately jumps the wall, running to help his friend only to run straight into Miss Jones.

@Miss Jones

Stupid backwards people, not knowing how to be civiled, why would the church even send you so far out to help these people. It makes no sense to you as you run around the stone wall perimeter. A few times you try to dart into the city, however each time you get ready to, a shadow appears on the roofs waiting for you to step inside. You could at least say they made sure no one got in without them knowing. Soon however you make it to where you want to be, you can hear the voices of the others and see the figure, human in appearance making his way towards the town. Thats when something hard hits you from your side, as it falls back and begins to get up.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-11, 03:29 PM
Dekar

As they run with Gareth, Dekar says the following. "Tell me more about this attack from the orcs if’n ye can. What were they armed and armored with? An I’m fer certain wonderin’ what they were tryin’ to take!"

No matter how Gareth answers, the tone and intent of the dwarf changes when they near the other end of town. As Gareth calls out, clearly recognizing the wounded man, Dekar hustles forward, allowing his enhanced speed to carry him at that faster pace he held before. His concern is clear in his dark eyes as he calls upon the favor of his god of war to heal this wounded fighter. His tough, stubby hands gather the growing touch of positive energy to provide some measure of repair to the bodily damage. He is sure to make ample room around the subject for Igor von Grimm to attend as well.

I convert my Level 1 spell Divine Favor into a casting of Cure Light Wounds.

[roll0]

I am assuming I am unopposed by any event or character. If something stops me, feel free to write that out!

dextercorvia
2015-06-11, 03:43 PM
While the dwarf looks to the man, Wisp again scans the horizon. That this is some sort of scout or sentry only underscores her original concerns that there is something chasing him. She looks at the nearby buildings, trying to spy a way upward. Unsure of how the patrols manage it, she settles for a crate. Standing on her tippy toes on top of her improvised step stool, Wisp's eyes search for any signs of an attack.

Spot check [roll0]

Beam
2015-06-11, 05:25 PM
"Orcs." Grondo growls. "Nothing I'd rather use my axe on."

He stands and watches as the priests tend to the wounded man. "What did that to you lad?"

dextercorvia
2015-06-11, 05:33 PM
"Careful what you say, Grondo. The sheriff's at least half-orc. Her mother is some sort of chief around here." Wisp tries to keep her voice low.

Beam
2015-06-11, 06:24 PM
"Hmm, sorry I missed that Wisp. Thank you." Grondo whispers back. Takes all kinds I suppose

DrK
2015-06-11, 11:50 PM
Igor pauses as Miss Jones takes off torn between staying with the others and accompanying his fellow Wee Jassian but with her oh so long legs she quickly outpaces him and he opts not to run.

Walking over the wall and into the thorp he listens to the description of the orc before asking Gareth "Did you say her Mother? Is the mayor an orc? That must be an unusual situation? "

In the village square Igor smiles at the young girl reaching behind her ear and clumsily slipping a silver crown into his hand, " Blessings of the ruby lady little one. You look hungry, get a nice meal for yourself and your friends"

Slieght of hand [roll0] to pull a coin out her ear. Even if he does it badly he'll still be nice

At the wall he also moves forward at seeing the wounded man then nods to Dekar letting the dwarf attend to the man. What happened to your leg? What was the creature that was here?

Marlowe
2015-06-12, 06:09 AM
Amalasuntha shoves herself to her feet with the shaft of her glaive, and taking barely a second to note that her unwelcome companion is Gareth and therefore, of extremely debatable worth even to acknowledge, continues moving to the wounded man.

"Can you walk if I assist you sir?" she asks in a low tone. And then, realising she can do better than this, presses her glaive into his hands with a "Second thought, just hold this." and picks him up bodily and puts him over her shoulder, then slowly backs toward the town while scanning the surrounds for signs of pursuit.

Spot [roll0]

dantiesilva
2015-06-12, 10:23 AM
@Party minus miss jones

As Dekar asks about the attack Gareth turns back, What they were armed with was mostly axes, some larger then others. Nothing really out of the ordinary, and their armor was light, though again that is common of them. The strange thing is, as far as I can tell they didn't take anything. Thorrun was doing a count of everything to make sure when I saw her this morning so she may have an answer.

Wisp standing on a crate you notice a small, barely noticeable indent in the wall, no doubt how they climb up and down the roofs. From your vantage point on the crate you look at the area where you saw the man coming from, however due to still being in the city roofs and people seem to keep getting in your way, perhaps if you climbed up the roof you would be able to spot more.

If you choose to climb onto the roof

As you make your way to the top of the roof, you look of into the distance, there is something moving in the treeline, about a mile from the city from where the man came, however nothing appears out of the forest, as if it doesn't want to be seen.

Thorrun is a half orc, the town believed to better keep peace between us and the tribes to make a pact. The sheriff at the time agreed, her father, and well the two of them did what they did and a year latter Thorrun was born. As for a chief, no her mother is a shaman, one of the lesser ones in the area, but she still holds more power then some of the chiefs. Its why the attack makes no sense. Gareth explains seeming to talk softer the closer they get to the other side of the town.

Eventually you get to the town center and show one of the kindest acts one could do for a town suffering as you show the girl a simple trick and pull a coin out from behind her ear. Thank you mister and may the ruby lady watch over you as well. The little girl says with a smile before running off. You know that girl is one of our up and coming mages and she is going to be trying that trick you just did for a week before realizing you didn't use magic. Gareth says laughing gently.

@ the wall

As you all arrive at the wall each of you move quickly into action as Dekar moves to heal the man Gareth called William. Thanks for that, I take it you are the help they sent? The man says as he accepts the help up from Miss Jones. However as she tries to lift him up onto her shoulders he struggles. Your dwarf friend healed the worst of the wound, I can walk just fine, please let me keep some dignity. he says as he looks up to the roofs and gulps as a figure jumps down. How many days William? The figure says as she walks forward, standing at least seven feet tall, muscles bulging, as she places a longbow that looks like it is made of bone back around her back. At least two days Thorrun, sorry. I tried getting to the others but,.... Don't worry about it William, go see my cousin in the temple, they will take care of the wound. Thorrun says kindly as she turns to look at the others. As for orcs and axes, I could say the same about dwarves and pin cushions if it makes you feel better. Names Thorrun, I take it you are the ones I sent for? She asks in a no time attitude. And encase you couldn't tell dwarf I was joking, so long as you follow the laws and don't impede on anyone else freedoms you are safe.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-12, 11:54 AM
Dekar

The dwarf is impressed as Igor von Grimm takes a moment to bring a little light to a girl's life in troubling times. Maybe the servant of Wee Jas was a father, or had been a father? The girl was a young mage by Gareth's words. A curious coincidence that the servant of Wee Jas might have just inadvertently inspired someone with the calling of sorcery. A coincidence, or a quiet whisper from the Witch Goddess… The dwarf’s gnarly eyebrows furrow as he thinks, “What else might be hidin’ in this wild little vanguard o’ civilization?”

None of the whispered tales and rumors about Sheriff Thorunn did the true person any justice. The towering half-orc woman stands nearly two feet taller than he, and he cranes his neck slightly to look up into her eyes. He wondered if she even had to work out to maintain that musculature. Dekar greets her respectfully as a local authority, and the person that hired them. "Sheriff Thorunn! Aye, we be they that ye sent fer. Dekar Shatterhorn, cleric of Hanseath."

He then steps aside so others might introduce themselves.

Beam
2015-06-12, 12:31 PM
She doesn't seem as bad as the rumors made out, Grondo notes. Powerful big though. Even for orcs

"I apologize for my comment. I'm here to help if I can. Grondo Ironskull, ranger of Fharlanghan."Grodo clears his throat and continues,"If I may ask; how is it that you knew of me? I am a ranger of no particular fame."

dantiesilva
2015-06-12, 01:15 PM
Dekar as you step forward and introduce yourself to Thorunn says nods her head before turning towards Grondo. No need to apologize. I know my people have not been the most loving since we have arrived and am not surprised that a race as old as yours would learn how to hunt them. Thorunn says matter of fact as if the whole idea of killing her own didn't bother her. As to how I heard of you, well that will have to wait until we are all at my office, Gareth do you mind taking William over to Rosalind's temple and have her clean the wounds, we can't be having anyone down at this moment. Already on it Thorunn, and ah good luck. Gareth says before walking with William into the town and heading towards the center once more. One more thing Thorunn, your mothers sent some of her best. They should be here in two days time at most, at least a dozen of her warriors. I didn't see any of her apprentices though thankfully. William says limping with his bad leg. Thanks William, we will take care of it, you just get better because if not, I wouldn't want to be in that bed when they attack. Gareth when he is all set go back to training all the volunteers with a bow. Thorunn says as if this were a military order.

dextercorvia
2015-06-12, 04:33 PM
Wisp had climbed up to the roof when she couldn't see over the throng. She squinted into the distance for another minute to be sure of what she had seen before calling down. "Sheriff Thorunn, pleased to meet you. I'm called Wisp," the halfling shouts down from the roof. "I'm afraid my suspicions were correct. There is something about a mile away just at the edge of the woods. It's moving like it doesn't want to be seen."

Trenchfoot
2015-06-12, 04:45 PM
Dekar

Dekar gives his beard a thoughtful, dust-scattering stroke. From the sounds of things, the thorp's scouts had been missing for a week, there were orc warriors on the way in two days, and now something was shuffling about in the woods.

"Mayhaps a scout o' their own, out to spy what we're up to." he ponders aloud to Thorunn. "Gareth told us the orcs came but took nothin', no loot. Did they take slaves? People? Or were they just out fer blood?"

After he asks, a quick thought strikes him. "Oi there, Ms. Greymote, we might be able to track that there thing. If'n ye see where it tends to be, maybe those of us with trail-knowledge could get us all close to it!"

He looks hopefully to his fellow dwarf, Grondo.

Beam
2015-06-12, 08:22 PM
"I should be able to track whatever it is. It would likely see us coming and retreat. We could try and sneak up on it in the night, but orcs see perfectly well in the dark. Perhaps if we left from the opposite side of the village and circled around in stealth" Grondo looks over to the half orc sheriff. "Maybe the choice can wait until after the good Thorunn tells us her secret." He was more curious at present as to why he had been summoned than to what currently skulked in the woods.

DrK
2015-06-12, 11:48 PM
Igor grins as he finds out the child was to be a mage. The Ruby goddess was indeed all knowing. Back to the matter at hand he listened intently to the description of the orc raid and then jumped as the monster of a mayor appeared.

Mayor Thorrun. I am Igor. Why would your mother send warriors to attack your village. Gareth suggested you were a bridge between the two communities?

Looking at the others he nods grimly at Grondo's words. If we have to track them down I am glad we will have your skills

dantiesilva
2015-06-13, 06:17 PM
Wisp as you climb back down and greet the sheriff she looks at you oddly for a few moments as if she had never seen one of your kind before. I never thought I would ever see someone smaller then a dwarf, this week just keeps on getting more interesting, no offense Wisp. Thorrun says as she listens to what you have to say. That would either be my mothers wolf, or one of her faster scouts. I doubt they will attack, however if you give chase they no doubt will lure you directly into a trap. Orcs are good like that, make you think you have them on the run, have the advantage thats when they get you. When you get lazy and have your pants down not when your guard is up. Thorrun says as she looks off in the direction you indicated, however it seems her eyes are not as keen as yours, or that you were really lucky.

From what we saw, and I have gathered all they wanted was blood. I would love to say they took something, at least then I could try to reason with whichever tribe had taken it for trade, however when they take nothing and leave only bodies.... Thorrun says letting her silence fill in what she herself didn't perhaps want to say. You could try going around the village, but as you can see this is a plains, whatever it is will see you leaving from the same direction you just came from. May throw up a few red flags on the smarter orcs, the dumber ones would smell fear in the air and be stupid. Thorrun says as she looks to Grondo. As to my secret, it is not much of a secret, and one you and Master Dekar will no doubt not like in the least. However if you will accompany me to my office we can get this over with. She says waiting to see if any object to the idea.

Please either Sheriff or just Thorrun, there is no mayor in this town. Never had a need for one, we are a simple people. We all look out for each other and do what we know needs to. If someone has something another needs they normally come to an agreement. And before you ask that how is it possible to keep this city defended and stocked with weapons, well you saw two of my best men. All others are mostly volunteers, the wall is pitiful. If something needs to be done though the entire town works on it together, rather do it ourselves then pay some else twice as much to sit on their rear ends and pay others. She says plainly. As for being the bridge, works great in theory. I understand my mothers people from being born and raised by them, however I know only a little about what my father taught me. While I live and breath with these people and even call some friend, I am not one of them. And my own people have reverted back to killing it seems for fun, so I know neither in this case.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-13, 06:56 PM
Dekar

The dwarf wracks his brain; an easy task, for there was not too terribly much to wrack around in!

"Reason with whichever tribe ye say... Would ye be sayin', then, that ye don't know which tribe attacked ye? They came unmarked then, no uhh, no signs or banners?" In the undercity, his people rarely dealt with orcs. Goblins and other denizens of the dark were more common enemies, and this left Dekar painfully ignorant of topside orcish culture. He figured his companions might be able to fill in the blanks in his knowledge, but he asks an extra follow-up. "How many tribes are there aside from yer mother's, then?"

Dekar freely walks along to Thorunn's office with no complaints, curious as to what sort of office a woman like this might keep! Would there be human bones in there? A set of weights for exercise? A seven foot tall coat-rack?

dextercorvia
2015-06-13, 10:50 PM
"Sheriff, I suppose that's fair, I've not seen any woman quite as tall as you." Wisp smiles, "I'd be happy to accompany you to your office. I believe that is the reason I came."

DrK
2015-06-14, 12:52 AM
Igor walks along with the others listening to the massive woman speak. He had never met an irv that could express itself so well. He also felt massively naive and out of his depth having spent his many of the past few years confined within the walls of Temple rather than learning fun facts about orcs and war.

Thorunn. What would you like us to do?

Beam
2015-06-14, 09:01 AM
A secret Dekar and I won't like? Strange.

Grondo raises no objections and walks with the rest to the sheriff's office.

Marlowe
2015-06-15, 09:57 AM
Miss Jones has been thinking of what to say to this lady for a long time.Hi, Sheriff Thorunn; I'm a big fan of yours! or hi, Sheriff Thorunn; I enjoy your work! I killed a sheriff once too!. But on meeting, most of them seem rather silly.

So what she does on confronting the personage is to ground her glaive, drop to one knee briefly; and murmur: "Sheriff Thorunn. I am miss Jones. Me and mine are at your disposal. If you need my arms, you'll have them. By the will of the Lady. If you have my strength to build the wall, you'll have that too. And if you want my opinion--" she rasps breath through her teeth. "Then you're well short of competent watchmen. Well. Short. Let me follow, I'll help."

dantiesilva
2015-06-15, 11:21 AM
Dekar as you ask your question Thorrun seems to pause for a moment before answering. It would be more correct to say that not a single tribe attacked. Thorrun says to the dwarven cleric before explaining. Normally one tribe only works with those of their tribe in raiding parties as they do not have to share the wealth with any other tribe, thus gaining strength. The exception being when a new warlord, or Khan is named and has many tribes under his or her banner. Had that been the case my mother would have sent for me however, for while I am half man, I am also of her blood. Those that attacked however were from varying tribes. she explains to all of you, clearly this woman is worried. As for how many tribes are their, well their are the four main tribes. They hold the most power, however their are splinter factions as well, petty chiefs who serve them. Had I stayed with my mother I would know an exact number, however I can only guess at how many of these there are.

Then you have not been around many orcs then Wisp. I am small for my mothers tribe, though with my fathers blood it may have done this I suppose. Thorrun says with a friendly smile. As she watches with a raised eyebrow as Miss Jones kneels and plants her galive in the ground. You and yours you say, last report I received you went around the village while the others came through it. If you are their leader they obviously do not respect you. And if I go by the small file I read you should only really know one of them well enough to speak for, and thats only because you share the same god. Thorrun says looking around to see if any wanted to say that she was their leader. And I have your strength now do I, well that will be very useful. However as for competent watchman I could not agree more with you. Had I been him after the attacks we had have, I would have shot a warning the moment I saw you running down the hills. Had you not stopped and answered I would have killed the lot of you, he is a lot more gentle though then I am. Lets people get to the wall before asking them what their buisness is. Then again most people walk down a hill, and normally have caravans with them so they are traders, we don't normally have people running down hills with their maces drawn, or galives...well lets not get into that. Now my place to tell another how to take care of the tool they use to make their bread and butter. Thorrun says as she begins walking south west.

When she finally stops you are all standing before a very large tent, what looks like bear skulls planted on two spears flank the entrance flap. Welcome to my office. Thorrun says before entering the tent. To those that follow in after her it takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the darkness as you watch Thorrun who seems to not even have a problem seeing making her way over to a lamp and lighting it before doing the same on the other side of the tent. In the center of the very large room is a wooden table, crude but effective for its task along with four other simple chairs. The sides of the tent all have trophy kills around them, a deer here and there, but mostly bears, as if the woman made a habit out of it. A simple bed is off to the side, looking more like a table then any kind of bed. However as she waits for you all to sit down, you notice she herself does not, and their are only enough chairs for four of you to sit.

DrK
2015-06-15, 11:48 AM
Igor shrugs somewhat and pats the mace at his belt. A slight grin before he follows the others to the tent / command post. With the door hanging open he let's his grow used to the gloom taking in the sights and not enjoying the smells of the cramped enclosure.
An impressive collection. You must be a fine hunter. It does beg the question though how can I help you? You do not need a priest to bury the dead and teach the lore of the Ruby Goddess?

Looking at the dwarves and Miss Jones they've clearly been chosen for more military pursuits leaving himself and Wisp less well defined.

Marlowe
2015-06-15, 11:48 AM
Miss Jones raises an eyebrow. "I have never claimed to be anyone's leader. I went around because I respected the request not to enter with my arms.

"I'll not give up my arms. Not for you nor that moron you have planted at the gate, whistling his empty threats"

"I was sent to help you. Without charge. When someone offers to help you without charge, it is seemly to insult and threaten them. When someone appears out of the yonder, it is unseemly to ambush them without showing your face. When a traveller walks in dangerous ground, he walks armed.

"This is not the just the law of civilisation. The savage, the barbarian, the nomad, any thinking creature that turns his eyes to the stars would do the same. So it is my wonder why your watchman knows to slobber over a pretty hand, yet does not know this.

"I'll camp outside the village if that be your will, but that lard-lubed cattle-prodder--I'll have his hands stuffed up his guts before he touches my weapons.

"Still, by the will of the Stern Lady, I am yours to command." Amalasuntha finishes. And leans on her glaive. "And seriously; do we look like Orcs? I've known some damn nice orcs. But we don't look like them. So, if you're concerned about Orcs, WHY are your lookouts so blind that they can count our weapons, but they can't tell what we are?"

dantiesilva
2015-06-15, 12:59 PM
Igor your childhood was much like my own rebelling against my parents, and while yours ended up dying in a fire, only one of my parents died, and that was from Fleshripper. Thorrun says indicating her bow. However while you rebelled against your parents, you made sure to pay your debts to the church that took you in and protected you when your entire family was dead. You devoted yourself to fighting the dead, which while we have not seen any here, shows that you are at least aware of how battles are won and loss. You have faced death itself, and you still are yourself. Most men and women would flee from death, or be changed afterwords, not you. Thorrun says approvingly to him.

Miss Jones did you not say you and yours are at my disposal? Yours would indicate those with you under your command unless you meant your weapons. Though that wouldn't make much logical sense as if you were at my command then your weapons would be as well. Thorrun directs at Miss Jones.

I will reply to the rest after the others have posted.

Marlowe
2015-06-15, 01:14 PM
"Yes" says Miss Jones, staring right back. "Which means if you want me, I come with my weapons. You want my weapons gone, I leave as well. It is not complicated.".

Beam
2015-06-15, 02:56 PM
"You seem to know much about Igor's past, sheriff." Grondo notes. "I'm curious if you know as much about the rest of us. And how."

Did she just imply that she killed her own father? Was he the former sheriff she was rumored to have replaced? Though she may have had her reasons, Grondo is troubled by this but thinks it impolitic to ask. He tries to ignore the continued grousing from the sheriff and Miss Jones over their challenged reception outside the Thorpe. At this point he simply wishes they could move past it.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-15, 03:58 PM
Dekar

Dekar screws up his already rather-ugly face in deep thought. One could practically hear the old dwarven gears turning in his mind.

“If the tribes were truly rallied against yer town, with all their might in unison under a Khan, there’s no way ye would’ve survived as well as ye did, I’d wager. No offense intended, o’ course. And if there truly were some great warlord gatherin’ the people and unitin’ the tribes, well… That’d be news to ye or yer mother, aye? Hrmm. No, somethin else brought orcs o’ diff’rnt tribes together in a haphazard attack. Takin’ no loot, just comin’ fer the fight, and not even an honorable or complete fight at that…”

He looks to Igor, Wisp and Grondo each in turn, not wanting to interrupt the discussion of the other two going on in the office.
“What do ye three think, then?” he asks , genuinely needing their input to fill in the blanks of logic.

dextercorvia
2015-06-15, 06:08 PM
Wisp

"It's most likely some upstart that has lured away the most bloodthirsty warriors from several tribes with the promise of glory. Dangerous, yes, but probably not worth calling a warlord. A similar thing happens in street gangs sometimes. Usually all that is necessary is for the established criminal organizations to make an example of the ringleader and a couple others, then the others go slinking back to their former masters. Doubtless, whatever has disrupted trade out here also has weakened the grip of the traditional leaders." Wisp takes her turn to address the sheriff, "I doubt you needed a citybred business woman to tell you that, Thorunn. So, I too am curious why you asked my aid."

DrK
2015-06-16, 01:04 AM
Igor looks at Dekar shrugging slightly. I am sorry Master Dekar. But I know little of orcs save that they are hatched from eggs and posses green skin and blood. He looks at the other members,It would be good to see some of the orcs lest they be under an enchantment of sorts.

Hearing Miss Jones and Thorunn still sparring he coughs politely, Miss Jones, one our Lady's tenebts is the rule of law. Here Mayor Thorunn makes the law an we fell afoul of it out of ignorance, but this has been resolved. Can we move past this now and focus on the pressing problem of the orcs that the mayor was explaining?

Beam
2015-06-16, 11:48 AM
Grondo

"Perhaps it's some kind of religious revival. Killing other races as tribute to an Orcish god." He says in response to Dekar's question.

Marlowe
2015-06-17, 05:03 AM
Miss Jones is mulling over the Orcish issue, but she abruptly gives Igor a sharp look. "Divine. We serve the law. We obey it. Some here have sworn to uphold it. None here are empowered to make it. And we have broken no law. The law is more than who is threatening who at any particular moment. As a wise man once said; "That's no law. That's just a sword. Happens I got one too". And we are done with this." She turns to Thorunn.

"How extensive has the fighting been? Have there been no banners? Totems? No war-cries? No prisoners to question? I'm not aware Orcs make a habit of surrendering..." She tucks back a lock of hair. "But I've generally heard their motivations are generally refreshingly straightforward. Is there any sort of pattern to their attacks?"

Archmage1
2015-06-17, 02:01 PM
As Miss Jones speaks critically, someone steps out from the shadows of the tent behind her, eyeing the group, critically, barely taller than the dwarves, with a black cloak over her, leaving the only thing you can really see of her features her almost luminescent lavender eyes.
These are they? My assignment, my reward? I've seen more promise in some trees. That would be Amalasuntha, who prefers to go by Jones. A general failure in school, who ended up sent to their hopeless cases. And now, sent to me. Wonderful. Because this is just what I foresaw when I got my assignment. I was hoping to work with professionals, and instead, I get these. Amalasuntha, Grondo, the dwarf who thinks he likes nature, and traveling. Perhaps he found his caverns too scary for him, and his terror of the outdoors was less? And, as if one dwarf wasn't bad enough, I have to deal with the other, Dekar... At least there's Wisteria Greymote, the halfling merchant, although how she ended up here is beyond my information. And then, of course, there Igor Von Grimm, a third son who couldn't even get into his preferred temples, and those'll take everything. And these are the "Best" the order could find... Perhaps this is a test.
Her eyes seem to look over all of you, and find you wanting. Her voice seems arrogant and dismissive.
"Arguing some pointless debate when there are far more pressing matters? That seems to fit you quite well, Amalasuntha."
She nods at Thorunn, acknowledging her, before she looks back at you, her gaze seeming to see right through you. As she addresses Thorunn, her voice seems to warm up. Slightly.
"I'm sure your crimes can be ignored, for now. Thorunn, would you tell them what you know?"
She leans back, arms crossed under her breasts, waiting for the response.

Beam
2015-06-17, 03:08 PM
Grondo

Grondo rumbles in Dwarven,"Go kiss an o-" He stops himself, glancing briefly at the sheriff. He continues in common. "I came here to help, which I will and would do anywhere good people are in need. What I didn't come here to do is be insulted by what I'm guessing..."he peers forward sarcastically as if zeroing in under the figure's hood, "...is another haughty little elf that thinks they own the world." He looks at the sheriff. "Please do tell us what you know sheriff, I grow tired of secrets."

Archmage1
2015-06-17, 04:23 PM
The elf just smiles, and speaks softly, her voice full of sarcastic derision.
"Thinks?"

dextercorvia
2015-06-17, 08:05 PM
Wisp

"So, this is serious enough to bring the elves down." Wisp blurts before she realizes what she is saying. "I'm sorry, Sheriff, I'll try not to interrupt again. The suspense is making me as edgy as everyone else."

dantiesilva
2015-06-17, 09:11 PM
As Miss Jones continues to rant you can see Thorrun is holding back her orc ancestry, however it is not what she says that catches you all off guard, but the voice that comes from the shadows and emerges cloaked in a cloak as black as the night itself, leaving only violet eyes visible. From behind her comes a massive scaled beast with four horns walking on all four legs, fangs as shark as daggers, and claws that seem to be able to rip off a man's flesh. Thorrun seems to not mind the new figure in the tent, as if she was expecting them. I am sure by the time I am done paying for all the crimes I have been accused of, I will be on the boat of the damned. Thorrun says returning the nod towards the newcomer before adding. So ist es wahr ist, was meine Mutter und mein Vater zu den Elfen, sagte. Es ist eine Ehre, einen Drachen zu erfüllen. she says in a foreign language bowing her head to the beast before looking back to all of you.

So it is true what my mother and father said about the elves. It is an honor to meet a dragon.

I know about each of your pasts, though not through personally looking for them. I was asked to by the elves, and well all humans know of how the elves kept the peace and taught the first settlers how to live in this world. And how they tried to keep the orcs from killing everything. Hard to say no to a group of people who are both hated and loved, especially when there are odd things going on. Thorrun says to all before continuing. I tend to agree with you Dekar, and take no offense to the statement. We have travelers come threw, but we are a small village with little in the form of defenses, it stands to reason would be easily squashed if it were the case. Thorrun says as she turns to address Wisp and her view. You skills at observation also prove a very true point, it could simply be an upstart. It fits all the criteria, but why then would the elves send one of their own here? she says turning towards the cloaked figure as if asking a question. Another fair point, could be religious, however would they not rather make the sacrifice at their own alter, or at least rave the entire place? I don't think that is it either. And Miss Jones if you wish I can tell you the most important law of this world. Do you know what it is? Thorrun says with an amused grin as she points to each and every one of her trophies. The law of the jungle, kill or be killed. The strong survive while the weak perish. So stop this petty argument or whether the elves have asked for you or not I will send you out of my home. Thorrun says, clearly annoyed at the behavior that was being shown. These were the whelps the elves had asked for to help them stop the attacks, she was better off leading a group of children with bows.

It is perfectly fine Wisp, I understand, but first I need to make this clear I was merely the messenger in all of this, the elves were the ones that called you all here. However they expected that the dwarves would tell them to sit on their helmets until the mountain below rumbled. It is well known the elves and dwarves have a hatred towards one another as such I was asked to call you all here to help our guest solve what is going on. They believe if the letter your friend sent is true, Thorrun says looking to the cloaked figure. That the blood red moon has something to do with it, and that offering to have the other races join in on this task would mend old wounds. Thus the humans and halfling being here as well. This would show that their was a neutral party to keep the peace at all times. From what Miss Wisp has said I and the information William brought I can guess we can either fortify the towns defenses, or you all can go hunting down whatever was out their, the choice is yours to decide. Just know that we do not know what is going on yet, so attacking any orc you see that is not trying to kill you may not be a wise idea. And if you see a banner with a wolf on it,tell those you meet Thorrun sent you.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-17, 09:26 PM
Dekar

An elf! Dekar steps back, not having expected their kind even in his cosmopolitan wilderness town! And she had brought one of those thrice-damned scaled monsters with her! Dekar found himself stepping nearer to Grondo, whose words reflected Dekar's own immediate mistrust. It felt good to be near a brother, at least, whose race knew full well the wrath of the elves. The speech in Draconic flies well over Dekar's shaggy head, though it was interesting to see the tusked half-orc woman's mouth twist her way around the words.

"If yer agreein' it ain't religious, or an upstart, then that leaves magic. Enchantment. Some sorcery's dun twisted their minds, no matter what tribe they're in, and hurled 'em against us. That would explain why ye've got all different groups with no sense-makin' motive!" He looks about to his comrades, hoping he wasn't completely off-track on the logic here!

Marlowe
2015-06-17, 09:56 PM
Amalasuntha's nostrils flare. "Amusing. Considering I stated I was done with the debate, and asked for further further specific information concerning the immediate problem. In order that we may possibly work towards a solution.

It seems you'd both prefer to ignore that in favour of personal insults and logical fallacies. Interesting that one can quote the law of the jungle while expecting others to help out of nothing but social obligation. And defending a town. And holding the position of an officer of the law. Well-" She brushes a thumb across her chin.

"I'll say it again, because it seems the my last words were lost in Nacht und Nebel. Done with this canine rump-sniffing.

Also, there's something lurking without your walls. Sitting here and waiting accomplishes little. Shall we go see what we can find?"

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 05:50 AM
Errol nods back to Thorrun sagely, in acknowledgement.

At Amalasuntha's words, the elf laughs.
"No, I don't. If you prefer to die, or worse then you can turn around, and leave. Go on, just turn around, and go. Not that hard, is it? Living on your own, always looking in the shadows for the threat that will end you? Your choices are act, or become irrelevant. Choose, Amalasunta."

Marlowe
2015-06-18, 09:50 AM
Miss Jones looks at the elf slightly more politely than he deserves."I just stated how I think we should act. And I'll thank you to call me "Miss Jones", since you, like some, cannot pronounce my name. AmalasunTHa. Voiced dental fricative. It's not hard; but too hard for you, apparently.

"I find your arguments, which are based on the will of the majority, quite bizarre since I am the one advocating the rule of law here. The strong protecting the weak. The weak protected to accomplish what they can do without having to constantly defend themselves. The craftsman free to whittle their wood, work their metal, stitch their cloth. The huntsman free to hunt. The mother left to raise her cubs without worrying overmuch about predators from over the hill. The traveller-" She looks straight at Thorunn, dismissing the elf as a joke.

"-Able to walk with the tools he needs. That is what the law is. The right to be able to live lives and develop their skills. With the protection of those able. Your law of strength is the law of a predator. An animal. And will not save a town. Your town will not stand without the law. Will not grow without the law. We have come here to help you, in the name of the law. What do we find? A bandit who has gotten in above her head. Well."

"Regardless, we were sent here. So I must presume someone feels it was better that you survive than likewise. It's not for me" She takes a deep breath. "-To abandon you in your hour of need just because you're lacking in intelligence and integrity. It's the people of this town I'm here to serve. And serve them I will. I'll not take your bait. Elf" A look back at the sneering thing that's crawled out of the shadows.

"See, I've never been the smartest, or the wisest, or the prettiest. But I'm smart enough, pretty enough, and wise enough to spot an ugly, stupid, foolish little soul when I see one crawling about. And guess what? I'm also pretty strong." She gives the elf a long once-over. A familiar type, he is.

"When do we get to act?"

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 10:04 AM
The elf laughs at Amalasuntha after she finishes her rant, her laughter reminding one of a merrily burbling stream, high, and clear.
"Oh, dear, you certainly have a high opinion of yourself. Quite surprising, from your background, but intelligence reports never seem to convey it all. Rather foolish of you, don't you think, trying to alienate those around you? If all you want to do is act, then go, try orc hunting, and get yourself killed, making the world a wiser place."
She looks away from Amalasuntha, to the rest of the group, the bubbling humor in her voice gone.
"As for the rest of you, if you wish to make the world a better place, come with me. If not, feel free to go with Amalasuntha."
She looks to Thorunn, acknowledging her with her eyes, before she heads outside, waiting to see who goes with her, and who leaves.

Marlowe
2015-06-18, 10:10 AM
Miss Jones just looks at the elf. "I never said I was going. I said I thought we should try looking at an immediate threat. Much more pro-active than a battle of wits for which you plainly came unarmed, nicht wahr?. Do you have a plan? I'd be delighted to hear it."

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 10:20 AM
The elf, who had already left, and is out of sight beyond the closed tent flap, doesn't seem to hear Amalasuntha's response.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-18, 10:44 AM
Dekar

Dekar remains near the side of his dwarven brother, standing strong in the presence of the elf.

The elven people had perpetrated a brutal war against the Dwarves four generations ago, but Dwarven memory was long, and Dekar prided himself on the tradition of holding grudges tight and close to the heart. He would not go quickly into the shadow of this new elf who, apparently, was willing to tease he and Grondo about the elven domination of the known world. Dekar's wiser half reminded him that not every member of a race was part of the crimes its ancestors had committed, no matter what jokes they might make.

Rather than choosing to follow either of the sides presented, he finds himself looking to the shortest female in sight; Wisp. Which path would she take, he wondered?

dextercorvia
2015-06-18, 10:47 AM
"Miss Jones, even if you find this particular elf banal, she represents access to the information and resources of her people -- which even their enemies must admit are formidable." Wisp looks at the dwarves as she says the last. "Also, as I said before, if they've decided to get involved in this matter, it is doubtless larger than it appears. We would be remiss if we didn't at least let Lavender share her information with us before we make a decision on how to proceed. "

She follows the elf, and continues, "There is much pride at stake here. Pride in race, in ability, and in philosophy. Pride has its place and its good use, but if we allow it to continue to divide us. If we persist in the notion that the potential contributions of the other are inherently less valuable than those of ourselves, or even of no value... If we persist in this nonsense, then there is no purpose to this meeting; any fruit of such a union will be rotten and unpalatable."

"Now, Lavender, or whatever you name may be. You have asked us here for help. That we are not what you would prefer is obvious to us, just as obvious as it is to you that some of us would prefer other employers. I will hear you out, and I encourage the others to do the same. However, I would consider it a favor most honorable if everyone would stretch the veil of civility far enough to cover your indignation. Whatever your philosophy on the function, purpose, and implementation of law, I can assure you that civility and cooperation has done orders of magnitude more for the advancement of civilization."

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 11:18 AM
As she spies the halfling leaving the tent, and heading towards her, the elf suppresses her smile, as she had been trained.
Good. She, at least, is wise enough to make the right choice. Maybe this won't be as bad as I was thinking.
She listens to the halfling, Wisp's, words, before she nods.
"You are correct."
She smiles wryly.
"I didn't have much warning about who and what you were, and you were not what I expected. However, you are missing information, information that is critical, but if I can't trust you, then there is little point in telling it. I'm not the one that asked you here, others did that. I'm simply their representative in this matter. Dwarves... the last time we asked dwarves for help, well, it didn't end well. I think you are trustworthy, as is Igor, however, I am less sure of the others."
She stops for a moment, before she continues.
"But, let's see how they respond, before I get into things. For now, know that the orcs are probably controlled, and that we need to remove the source of that control."

Marlowe
2015-06-18, 11:20 AM
"Wisp, I've seen soaking up personal insults here like a duck to water. And I assure you it hasn't been fun." says Miss Jones, tonelessly. "Because that's the only way they seem to tolerate disagreement. Their methods are sloppy and beyond the tolerance of even barbarism. Even barbarians know a certain courtesy. No. Barbarians must live by courtesy. But these people are animals."

She runs a hand along her glaive. "And animals get nothing but steel-no. We must not think like that. I'll keep this short, because everyone's eyes seem to glaze over after a few sentences.

"It's possible that the entire problem here is due to the appalling lack of of manners. Orcs don't like to be insulted any more than anyone else. Why should they? Orcs are strong." she throws that last word at Thorunn.

"Or, something we know not yet. In which case, we need to find it out. Ask me to go beg that little sneak-"a nod at the direction the elf disappeared to; "for whatever worthless shreds of drivel it knows to save the town, I'll do it.

"But I'll not ask to be constantly insulted. Not by these fools. Not by these--things that claim the law as their own and outrage it by their actions. Not by these drooling smears of Schiesse that call themselves lawful. I'll do what needs done. But I'll speak to mine own honour first." She snaps to full height. "And that's the first time I've said such a thing. "Honour" is a chaotic construct. Do you see?"

Trenchfoot
2015-06-18, 11:32 AM
Dekar

With Wisp and the Elf out of the tent, Dekar nods to Grondo and, in Dwarven, says "Gol fast dul gunduraag. Thull mist Wisp nolzagg thunn, net mist randragga."

He then departs the tent to follow Wisp, standing near her and folding his burly arms. If one were to squint, it would like he was holding two hairy logs of wood, rather than living limbs, in front of his chest.

"Do what you feel is right. I'll follow Wisp now, not the knife-ears."

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 11:33 AM
The so far nameless elf continues to watch the tend, seemingly unconcerned.

Beam
2015-06-18, 01:20 PM
Grondo

I hope she knows how to keep that thing under control. The ranger thinks as the draconic beast moves out of the shadows.

Grondo answers to Dekar's query in a low rumble.
I follow only to aid the people here, not for this arrogant fairy.

He walks out of the tent with the others. "This constant conflict and disrespect is becoming tiresome. If we're all here to help, then these niggling little jibes of yours are counterproductive. I don't care if you like dwarves or not. I don't care if Miss Jones is offended by our reception here or not. If we're to work and bleed together, then let's try to behave as professionals, or adults at least."

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 01:22 PM
The elf glances at Grondo, before she looks back at the door.
"We'll see. Self control is important."

DrK
2015-06-18, 04:35 PM
Igor pauses looking around at the arrogant seeming elf with her pet dragon and the rest seem to break down. He pauses in the tent looking at Thorunn, Lady Mayor. I'm sorry to ask but this she Elf. What does she bring and must we put up with the outright rudeness? We have come here to help you after all."

After receiving a reply from Thorunn he makes his execuses and follows the others trotting out into the village square. Joining the others he nods as Grondo speaks. In this my dwarven friends and Miss Jones are correct. We came here to help not to be mocked - and I can receive that at Temple. Now, I may only be a poor 3rd son but you had best be straight about what you would like our aid with or I can enjoy a walk in the sunshine back to the city as the Lady collects the souls from this village. Even as he speaks he runs a hand through his impressive (for a human) beard clearly looking uncomfortable at the confrontational words.

Archmage1
2015-06-18, 04:47 PM
Seeing the shorter human walk out, the elf continues watching, impassively waiting to see what would happen with the last member.
When he asks his question, she waits a moment or two before responding, looking up into his eyes.
"Dealing with the orcs. What else do you think would bring me here?"

dantiesilva
2015-06-18, 08:29 PM
Dekar as you point out then that it would have to be enchantment of some sort controlling the orcs Thorrun nods her head. It is what the elves agreed as well, and why they sent one of their agents here. However going in alone on something that may involve your race as well would look bad if they didn't offer you a chance. It takes two sides to work together to build a bridge, but only one to burn it down. She says kindly to you hoping you would understand.

Miss Jones I have told you all the information I know about, if you do not like it take it up with her superiors as I doubt they told her more then she needed to know either. Thorrun says pointing to the elf. The immediate threat is those marching on the town from what William said, you were there for that, why you need me to tell you something you already know is beyond me however. As for asking for help, I asked the elves for a second opinion as they are older and wiser then my people. This was their answer, you don't like it that is fine you can leave just like any of the others. I was asked to call you all here and I did. My part in getting you all here is complete. Thorrun says as she walks away from all of you, all those who listen closely can hear the thum of an arrow hitting a target over and over outside.

Igor as you follow Thorrun outside the tent to ask her a question she continues to fire arrow after arrow as she talks. If I would have to guess the elf was sent here against her will and told she had to work with all of you. From what I know about elves they are given the best training, and don't disobey the chain of command. Show her you are useful and she may change, I can not be certain what will make her tick I am not a people person. Outsiders see me and think monster, savage, bandit. What they forget is that before I put an arrow in my fathers heart that he was a monster who let highwaymen do what they wished so long as he got a cut. Wold torture prisoners for the fun of it. The man had no honor, and I would not allow him to drag my mothers honor through the dirt. Thorrun says as she lowers her bow, and looks at the target 100ft. away, the entire center filled with arrows. I can tell you this, a dragon does not allow anyone to ride them, and the elves don't send riders out for nothing small. No doubt one of the higher ups, so imagine how she feels working with a bunch of greens. I don't think I can say much more on the matter without making you think something about the woman that may not be true. I suggest you catch up with the others.

Outside the beast stands by "Lavanders" side as the two wait for everyone to make their choice. Join the elf, or go home. Defend the city, or go searching for the band that may attack it.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-18, 09:22 PM
Dekar

The dwarf is stone-faced for a moment, but Grondo's comment in Dwarven causes him to burst out in a loud, hearty laugh that comes straight from his gut! "Khorosho skazano, brat!"

As Thorunn confirms the theory of sorcery, Dekar gives a nod to Igor, who had the idea in the first place. "Ahh, hear that, von Grimm? That was yer thinkin', and ye were on the right track! Good on ye."

Dekar, like Grondo, is on the side of helping the people of the thorp and following Wisp's lead, but it doesn't end there. He speaks aloud in Common to those gathering near the elf. "These orcs thatta been enchanted ain't actin' o' their own free will. Unless they sold themselves willin'ly to some dark power, they're fightin' an dyin' fer a cause outta their control. Ye'll each follow yer own moral guidelines, but the God I follow an me own heart tell me that killin' those folk wouldn't be right or honorable. If we fight orcs or anyone that ain't in control o' themselves, I'm goin nonlethal."

To Thorunn, he asks, "An to that end, have ye got any Saps on hand? Or someone who can make one or two?"

"Well said, brother!"

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 05:42 AM
Hearing Dekar's words, the elf shakes her head.
"While I admire your dwarven... honor, I'm afraid it's misplaced in this instance. What's affecting them can't be undone. It's possible that not all of them have been affected, but that just makes it worse."

Marlowe
2015-06-19, 06:01 AM
Miss Jones raises her head, looking at the sky and taking a long, slow breath. "Certainly a gallant intent, Divine." She looks at Dekar, a little sadly. "If they're ensorcelled, then it strikes me that the best we can do is cut through them, or around them, quick as can and remove the source of the compulsion. Else whatever it is will just find more and more beef to throw at us.

"Yes, many of them will die. Yes, it will be us that kills them." She tests the edge of her glaive, while wondering vaguely what a "galive" is and why they're apparently illegal. "But the culpability lies with those compelling them into this. And I cannot help but think that fighting at less than our best will simply get more killed on our side and theirs."

She gives a short shrug. "Of course, you are a Divine. There is plenty you can do in a fight to help without striking a blow. It is up to you."

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 07:05 AM
Seeing that the final, argumentative Amalasuntha had arrived, the Elf nods, before she starts speaking, her voice fairly neutral.
"Excellent. All of you made the right decision. A good beginning."
She pauses for a moment, to make sure everyone was listening.
"All right. I don't think you need to know why the orcs are acting as they are, this place is too public for that currently, but they do need to be stopped, before it spreads. We know the raiding party will be here tomorrow night, and that will need to be dealt with. We can try to intercept them before they reach the town, or we can see what we can do to prepare the town for an attack."
She pauses once more, clearly waiting to hear the opinions of everyone else.
Now, if they make the right choice... They said loyalty was won through giving people choices, but if they decide they can face the orcs on their own, I'll need to overrule them, because it would be awkward explaining why they all got themselves killed.

dextercorvia
2015-06-19, 08:45 AM
Wisp

"How large is this raiding party expected to be?" asks Wisp. "I know a few tricks, but I'm no warrior. Like I said before, I prefer a nice wall between me and whatever is coming. I know some of this group would be more comfortable seeking out the enemy, and they should feel welcome to it. But, I'd prefer to stay here and plan a surprise party. Sheriff, I expect most of your people trained to arms are hunters -- better with a bow than a blade. Is that so, and how many of each do you have?" Wisp starts counting on her fingers the defenses available to the village, when she realizes where they stand.

"Why are we standing in the street, anyway Lavender? Would it not be best if we discussed this in the Sheriff's office?"

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 08:49 AM
The elf shrugs.
"Once we decide, potentially, if we choose to fight here. The sheriff doesn't know everything, and it seemed a way to see which way you would choose."

dextercorvia
2015-06-19, 08:55 AM
Wisp

"You mean affect the correct decision. The Walk Away is not exactly a secret negotiation technique." Wisp smiles slyly at the elf. "You should save the tricks for when the decisions you want us to make aren't quite so obvious."

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 09:01 AM
The elf smiles slyly back at Wisp.
"But your decision was important. I don't want to need to compel you."

Beam
2015-06-19, 09:51 AM
Grondo

"I can see good points in both options. Digging in here would force the orcs to charge through arrow fire towards a defended position. We could probably handle whatever wounded ones were left when they arrived. Intercepting them would keep the villagers out of danger. We could try and ambush them. I'd go along with either way, but I vote to intercept them. And you have a dragon, elf. Can you breathe fire on them from above?"

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 10:04 AM
The so far nameless elf shakes her head as Beam asks about her dragon's capabilities.
"I'm afraid that isn't really feasible at the moment."

dantiesilva
2015-06-19, 11:06 AM
Only William know show large, you were there when he got back as much as I was. He didn't say, but by the fact that all the other scouts are still missing we can suspect it is at least a dozen if not more. Thorrun says when asked about how large the raiding party was. As for how many we have here that are able to fight, minus those who are no doubt dead by now I can count five. Gareth, William if he recovers enough, and myself are the best shots in the town, however their is also Jacob and his wife Ingred who are learning rather fast and should not get in the way in a fight, though convincing them to leave their daughter unguarded may be harder then you think. After all if anything gets by us, they would have free reign inside the town. Thankfully we had an early warning so we should be able to make a few quick defenses. Thorrun says looking at everyone to see what they thought.

Sure warum nicht Sie sagen, der Zwerg, einen Tunnel zu graben, weil alle Drachen muss Atem Feuer, alle, aus Erde muss in der Lage sein, zu graben. the draconic creature says as it turns towards the elf saying something which makes Thorrun start to laugh.

Sure why don't you tell the dwarf to dig a tunnel because all dragons must breath fire, all those made of earth must be able to dig.

Keep in mind it is an intelligent creature and while it might not be able to twists its tongue to speak common it could easily understand it.

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 11:10 AM
The Elf smiles at her friend, even as she responds, in the same language.
"Es war ziemlich ... stereotypen von ihnen, aber dann ... Ich wollte fragen, die Zwerge zu graben , wie sie zweifellos gut darin sind . Sie denken wohl alle Drachen Feuer spucken und rot "

It was rather... stereotypical of them, but then... I was going to ask the dwarves to dig, as they are undoubtedly good at it. They probably think all dragons breathe fire, and are red...

dantiesilva
2015-06-19, 11:14 AM
Bah, sie glücklich ich bin nicht einer von denen, meine Brüder bekommen sonst hätte ich spucken Säure auf ihn und sehen, wie gut er getanzt werden sollte. Dann wieder, wenn Sie ein nettes Feuer zu entfachen kann ich in der Lage, sie über es mit meiner Hörner braten können. Zwerg auf einem Stock.

Bah, they should be happy I am not one of the ones my brothers get otherwise I would be spitting acid at him and seeing how well he danced. Then again if you start a nice fire I may be able to roast them over it with my horns. Dwarf on a stick.

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 11:17 AM
The elf shrugs.
"Eine verlockende gedacht, aber , ach, wissen Sie, wir , in der Theorie , müssen sie alle."

A tempting thought, but, alas, you know we, in theory, need them all.

dantiesilva
2015-06-19, 11:21 AM
We do have saps Dekar, however if you knock them out they are still a threat when they wake up. And putting our people in harms way to keep our hands clean is not a price I am willing to pay. They won't show mercy, I see no point in showing any to them myself. If you feel like using a sap I will give any who want one for free so long as you return it after the battle. Thorrun says coming back from the amusement of the draconic beast and the elf.

dextercorvia
2015-06-19, 11:22 AM
"I didn't want to say anything at first, but all this speaking over our heads in other languages is quite rude. Let's return to the tent and make some plans. I'm still waiting for the important information that Lavender promised. It can't only be that there is magical control going on."

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 11:27 AM
The elf shakes her head.
"I'm afraid that my friend doesn't like speaking in common. As for the information, it's regarding the source of that control, but, for now, it doesn't matter. We need to stop those raiders before we can act on it."

Trenchfoot
2015-06-19, 11:51 AM
Dekar

The cleric of Hanseath strokes his dusty beard thoughtfully. Even Thorunn advocated killing the orcs. The woman of Wee Jas recommended cutting through them quickly to end the source of the charms, and it seemed as though Wisp was in agreement as well. The elf's claim that what was affecting the orcs 'Can't be undone' only makes him grimace. The elves had, in his point of view, probably made many decisions based on a belief that a thing could not be changed. Did he want to do the same to these orcs? Taking anyone's word that this 'enchantment', whatever its nature, was irreversible?

"I won't hold up the fight." he promises. "But I know if those orcs were my kin, my brothers and sisters commanded by some power, I wouldn't write 'em off as lost and better off dead until I tried to cure what ailed 'em. I believe me hands are culpable if they're swingin' a weapon to kill. An I ain't fer believin' somethin' can't be undone just on yer say-so either, elf, not without knowin an seein' fer me own."

He agrees to take a sap from Thorunn, and to return it once this was done. He had his length of rope, and figured he could use that to bind any that he managed to defeat non-lethally. If this enchantment truly was unbreakable, then he'd take up deadly arms with the others to put the doomed souls to rest. No matter what happened to these orcs, whether they lived or died or were lost, he'd ask for a war prayer to guide the souls of whatever was left to their proper place.

"Ye all do what feels right to ye. I'm in this to save innocent lives, on any side. As fer the tactics, I vote to intercept. Hells, I vote both! Run a guerrilla attack on the war party as they move, withdraw once we slow em down and do some damage, then hit 'em here once they arrive. Even if it's just Grondo and I, we can hustle out there and thwack some ankles and take a side-route back 'ere. Grondo's a ranger, and 'tween his forest know-how an my quick feet we could outrun those poor folks."

He says all this if/while the group moves back into the tent for planning.

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 01:06 PM
The elf sighs.
"And that refusal is what led to the last war. And, in all the time since, no one has found a solution. Seeing for yourself is all that is needed for you to be controlled as well."

Trenchfoot
2015-06-19, 01:11 PM
Dekar

Dekar smiles confidently. "In all the time since, no one has ever been us!"

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 01:23 PM
The elf's voice seems to echo disbelief.
"The greatest minds of an era worked on the problem. And you think you can do better."

Trenchfoot
2015-06-19, 01:41 PM
Dekar

Hah! He had her! "Well I suren' ain't gonna ninny around givin' up on somethin' afore I even start! All on accounta someone tellin' me it can't be done, hells bells! If those great minds couldn't finish a job in an entire era, maybe a Dwarf mind's what needed!" Dekar exuberantly pats Grondo on the shoulder. "Give us a wall what can't be broken, eh? A mountain that can't be dug? Put a dwarf on the task an give 'im time an strong arms an smart help." He looks to his non-dwarf comrades. "Give him a team of folk that got their own ideas and skills, an we'll at least do better than givin' up after only an era o' work!"

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 01:46 PM
The elf frowns, and then smiles.
"All right. But, perhaps then you can remove an enchantment? You can handle that, yes? The one altering your behavior? I assure you, that is a far simpler task."
She pauses, to hear his answer.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-19, 02:14 PM
Dekar

Dekar thinks he senses a snide elven joke coming on, likely having to do with removing the bearded head situated between his shoulder blades! "No elf, that one stays right where it is."

He does find himself grinning wryly. He could handle dealing with this elf, as long as they could trade shots back and forth like this.

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 02:19 PM
The elf shrugs.
"Perhaps you could replace it with a rock?"
She pauses for a moment, before continuing.
"More seriously, I'm afraid that doesn't help you find a cure to the enchantment, and if you can't do that, do you really think you can find a solution to the far more complicated one affecting the orcs? We'll be here for another couple of nights, so we can deal with the raiders, but then we will be leaving. Perhaps you'll have made some progress then? Or be more willing to acknowledge that you can't?"

DrK
2015-06-19, 02:23 PM
Igor listens to everyone nodding at the proposed plan. "I agree that with over a dozen of the beasts and only the 6 of us that waiting behind the walls would be the best option. Do we known which direction they are coming from? And do you have a crossbow or a sling I could purchase or borrow?" Looking about he nods to the dwarves, "In addition to the weapons I believe that I may be able to assist with any injuries that are sustained with the ruby One's healing. Do we know when they are due to arrive and how much time we have to prepare."

Archmage1
2015-06-19, 02:30 PM
The elf nods at Igor, before she starts explaining her plan.
"Igor's right, we can't leave the town, because our chances of finding the raiders is minimal, as they could be coming from anywhere. The walls aren't much, but since we have a couple of days, we can do some enhancements. Dwarves, if you can dig a trench around them, it'll effectively make them higher, and we should be able to carve some stakes for them as well. We should also see about constructing a watch tower, so we have a chance of spotting them at a distance, giving us a chance to concentrate our defense. They'll be here tomorrow night, so we don't have a lot of time, and we're going to need the villager's help."

Beam
2015-06-19, 05:23 PM
Grondo

"Aye, we're probably better off fighting them here as you say. We dwarves can dig, with a bit of help. If I could borrow or buy a longbow, I'll make good use of it. Let's get to it then."

DrK
2015-06-20, 01:10 AM
Igor nods at the elf. Then looks to the dwarves I do not know much of siege warfare but I have a strong back. Please let me know what digging or carrying you'd like me to do.

Archmage1
2015-06-20, 10:53 AM
The elf finishes leading the group back into Thorunn's tent as they talk, and once inside, she nods, once more, to Thorunn.
"We'll help defend the village, but we're going to need quite a bit of help. I think we need to get your wall higher, say, to five feet, using dirt dug out from in front of it, and, if we have time, to place some stakes there, so slow down attackers. Also, constructing a watch tower, something about ten feet higher than your highest building would be valuable. It only needs to last one night. Do you think the villagers can handle that?"

dantiesilva
2015-06-20, 11:51 AM
Your thoughts are admirable Dekar, however answer me this. To a warrior what is more dishonorable, dying on a battle field under anothers control against your will, or living as a prisoner while under someone else control? Thorrun asks you before turning to the others. I won't force you to kill, however know that all those you don't kill may kill someone in this village. And that blood will be on your hands. Thorrun says patiently as she looks to each of you before saying the same in draconic. And how do you plan to outrun people who live in the woods and chase animals for food? I have seen few dwarfs before but from what I know of them they are slow and like to drink. I myself like to drink, but I am not slow, and I still can not outrun them.Thorrun points out.

Igor as you ask about crossbows Thorrun shakes her head. Crossbow is to fancy and slow for these parts, even the lighter ones are more ten a smart hunter is willing to pay around here. Those that have good strong bows will no doubt be using them. Perhaps Marcy may have some in her shop though. I doubt nothing more then simple shortbows, really for children learning how to hunt around here. However in times like this even a short bow could turn the tide of a battle. As for healing and building fortifications once we are done talking in here I will call a few others to the tent to begin a war plan. Thorrun says happily.

A watch tower in such short time is possible, however it would take away from better defenses. I doubt we could dig around the entirety of the walls, however if we get everyone working on it we should at least have one whole side done by tonight. Stakes would be a simple matter, cut down a few trees. I was thinking why not douse some of the trees in oil though, mages have some fancy magic, I have oil and fire. When the orcs come rushing we light the trees on fire creating a smooke screen and a wall of fire, focus them to a choke hold here. Thorrun says showing where you found William. This will allow those with bows to stay up high and focus on the opening, or take out those trying to go around, while forcing them to march in single file or risk being caught on fire and impaled. Thorrun says giving her own imput.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-20, 12:14 PM
Dekar

Dekar blows wind out thoughtfully, sounding rather like a bellows for a moment. Thorunn had good points, as did the others. Dwarven stubbornness went a long way, but they could still be convinced. He nods, taking the sap just the same. He isn't sure how racist it was that he and Grondo were being assigned to dig the holes, but he was damned if he wasn't looking forward to it at least a little! He doesn't complain about the task out loud.

dextercorvia
2015-06-20, 12:29 PM
Wisp

"There is little point in fortifying one wall unless we want them to attack another instead. From the taller buildings, I can already see as far as the treeline, I see no need for an even higher tower. If we throw rubble outside the wall it will disrupt their momentum as they come in, giving us a better chance to pick them off. Caltrops would be better still, if they are available. Dekar, for my part, I have some non-harmful magics that might serve us well, but I doubt we can avoid all casualties on both sides, and if I have to choose, I will choose the casualties to be on their side."

"Sheriff, I'm going to need some of those short bows, and the children. Everyone else in the village needs to be focused on defense. I will handle the children. We will take the tallest roof, there in the middle -- it is the most defensible spot. I'll have some of the older children help me build up the wall a bit for cover. From there, those older children can help defend themselves. If they have been learning to hunt, they can do this, though I know it is a hard thing I ask. I can guarantee this -- unless the town is completely lost, we will not lose a single child. Wisp shudders and lowers her voice. "...and even then, I may be able to get them to safety."

Archmage1
2015-06-20, 12:39 PM
The elf shakes her head.
"We'll need to dig all around, so we won't be able to dig very deeply, and we're going to need a lot of stakes. Using the roofs is a good idea, but are they strong enough?"

dextercorvia
2015-06-20, 02:40 PM
"They were built for it," is Wisp's reply. "If you will excuse me, Auntie Wisteria has some children to gather." The little woman seems different when she talks about the children, less cavalier than usual.

She leaves Thorunn's tent and goes to find Garth. Wisp knows she'll need local help to convince the parents of her plan. "Either on a rooftop or checking on his friend, I'll bet," she mutters to herself as she asks around for him.

DrK
2015-06-22, 03:03 PM
Igor looks about to the others. [Dekar, please let me know what you'd like me to do? Practical carpentry and siege warfare was not included in the Temple training.
/COLOR]

Igor looks about as the others start to shuffle about. Looking to Thorunn he also asks again about a sling? [COLOR="#B22222"]A sling madam Mayor? Could I borrow or purchase one?

Trenchfoot
2015-06-22, 03:21 PM
Dekar

The dwarf grins in response. "Oh aye! Take up a hammer and we'll get ourselves workin'! If ye got any callings of yer god to bring down to help the work, we'll put it to use."

Marlowe
2015-06-22, 05:50 PM
Miss Jones leans on her glaive. "Wisp has the right idea. Defend one location where we can concentrate, and which they'll be at a disadvantage concentrating against. Perimeters a joke. Too long to defend with what we have, low enough to be jumped, high enough to block out lines of sight, and no archer nests. A ditch might help, make them take a fraction longer getting over. Stakes, if we get any, should go on this side. Else they'll just avoid them.

"Should spend our extra labour fortifying the roof of whichever building we choose to make our stand. We'll feel pretty silly if they just sit back with bows and pick our civilians off from a distance as they huddle on a roof for safety. We should stay concentrated somewhere near the center and be ready to respond when they get over the palisade. Spreading us out is a poor idea. Most of us are too slow. We wouldn't be able to rally together when needed.

"Odd we have so few bows and axes out here. Very odd. Odd we are so well informed of their intentions and numbers, yet so uncaring of the land between them and us. And so sure that they won't, for example, simply blockade us. Almost as though somebody here was running both sides of the battle. Well. Schrecklichmunden." She looks around the party. "Put all those that can shoot. With whatever. On one roof and fortify that. Keep us together as a group to counterattack any enemy that get over the wall.

"And digging some pit-traps at the actual gates, well it may seem like a waste of time, may funnel their attacks a little to the point where they're managable. Those of us that have oil or someway to make fire, that's where it should go."

Archmage1
2015-06-22, 06:00 PM
The elf shakes her head.
"We do need to keep concentrated, but simply forting up isn't going to work, because they'll burn half the town, and it would make it difficult to capture one or more alive. We need to keep an eye out, so we can move our central force to meet them."
She gestures expansively.
"There's no cover for a mile in any direction, which makes this a terrible, terrible place to live. But I assume there's a reason for that. If we can get some of the adults to keep watch, they should be able to call the alarm, in plenty of time for us to respond."

dextercorvia
2015-06-22, 09:19 PM
"There are too many to fit on one roof, and the elf is right. They'd just burn the rest of town to draw us out. We can have half a dozen roofs filled with bows and slingers, and we can have one main strike force of ground troops. Ground troops serve two purposes. It gives the raiders something to fight so they don't have time to cause much destruction, and they can fight off any group of orcs that starts trying to climb up one of our archer towers."

dantiesilva
2015-06-23, 11:39 AM
After talking with Thorrun in her camp about the defenses of the town, the sheriff as promised called everyone in the town for a meeting. To say these people moved quickly would be an understatement, it was no wounder they had survived so long on the fringes of the civilized world all alone as they began digging a pit and covering it as well as filling it with spikes infront of the town as you had suggested. It would not catch them all, however they would think twice before blindly charging in anymore hopefully, and for those who tried to leap over, there were wooden stakes waiting to impale them. However not a single parent agreed to allow their children to fight, instead saying that they should all hide in the temple in the center of town, though not all of the kids agreed. There was a small group led by Elizabeth, the girl who Gareth told you had magical potential who disagreed saying that they could help as well. However Thorrun came to an agreement with the people, those who refused to have their kids fight would have to lend their bows to those willing to fight. She refused to make people do what they didn't want, however she made it clear that if they fell all would die. A group of ten volunteers stepped forward, most looking like simple farmers, however Gareth and William were there, as well as a man who kept his face hidden the entire time.

And so with the thorp as ready as it could possibly be you all sat at your chosen spots, waiting for the battle to come, doubting that it would come before nightfall. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128074)

Spot and initiative checks please. Also tell me where you want your character placed and so long as it is a free spot it is okay. If your character sheet doesnt have a pic please provide one in the ooc

Trenchfoot
2015-06-23, 12:07 PM
Dekar

The warpriest takes up a position near the front lines, standing solidly in a lead spot among the civilians. He'll count on his comrades to see the enemy and sound the call; even with his vision in the dark, he doubted he'd be the first to spot their foes. It is thanks to the moral discussions of earlier that he has chosen to wield his proper weapon; better to release these victims from this strange slavery with death than to prolong the magic and risk others in keeping them prisoner. Ol' Painless would be a weapon of mercy this night...

I will locate myself at the top part of the map, between the civilians and closest to the little open spot there.

Spot: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

If this icon gets shrunk down, I think it will work well for the map. http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/flat-icons.com/flat/512/Beer-icon.png

DrK
2015-06-23, 04:51 PM
Having spent two days digging and building on the morning Igor prayed to the last wishing for the magical power to sway the battle in favour of the village. Hands slick with sweatbas they rest upon the morning star he stands ready garbed in steel and shield beside Dekar happy to do battle in the company of another Templar.

"Gods bles you Dekar. I hope you avoid the Lady's kiss today" .

[roll0]

Beam
2015-06-23, 05:07 PM
Grondo

"Good luck to all of you. If we stand together your homes and families will be preserved." Grondo says to the townsfolk. He nods in readiness to Ivan and Dekar.

Grondo will place himself with Dekar and Ivan. Armed at first with a shortbow which he will drop when the orcs get into melee range.

Spot: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

dantiesilva
2015-06-24, 04:02 PM
@Dekar and Grondo It is not long past nightfall when your eyes pick up movement on the hills above, from what you can see there are at least twenty up there, a very good thing you have that pit, with luck it will keep a few of them busy when they charge. Thats when a voice calls out from the darkness above, almost as if it were saying battle words before a great war to inspire its troops.

@Party The warcries can be heard by all as you watch a band of orcs begin to run down the hill towards the town.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128359)

As the group of twenty orcs step out from the treeline the villagers gasp, obviously they had not been expecting this many. However it is Thorrun's voice that speaks out. Look at it this way, not a single shot will be a miss. Knock arrows! She calls out to the villagers allowing each of you to do what you think is best.

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Trenchfoot
2015-06-24, 04:21 PM
Dekar

The dwarf smiles widely as he is joined by some of his more martial comrades. "Aye, the God's bless us, we've got us a fight!"

When the warcries sound, Dekar is briefly confused. These charmed orcs used warcries? Did they still have their personalities and desires? He doesn't hesitate to act, though! Rather than fire any bows at this long range, he takes the early warning to start a chant to Hanseath, a pre-war stomping grumbling song in Dwarven. The song tells a story from the perspective of a mountain over the course of several thousand years; the mountain stands and watches as a sea rises and rises after each passing century, until the mountain is surrounded and becomes an island. Whether any understand the words or not, a sensation of courage and confidence might fall over them, steeling them against what was the come.

That done, with his battle-readiness, Dekar keeps his axe in hand, but prepares a few lines in the gruff dwarven song that run in quite the opposite. When the orcs approach within a certain range, he will tell the story of the mountain spewing forth its payload of lava, boiling and steaming the ocean around it.

Dekar is casting Bless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm) for his surprise round, affecting all allies within 50 feet. Anyone making an attack receives the +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, and are less likely to fall victim to fear. This lasts for a minute.

I will then Ready an Action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm) to cast the spell Bane (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bane) on the greatest portion of the enemy so that it affects as many as possible, preferably all 20, once they come within 50 feet. This lasts for a minute. The range of the spell is 50 feet, and the radius of the spell is 50 feet from my center target. The DC is Will, and is 14.

Archmage1
2015-06-24, 04:25 PM
The elf and her dragon spots them quite quickly, and, as the direction the assault was coming from becomes clear, she starts heading that way, moving 40 feet closer, with her draconic friend keeping pace with her, before she chants, casting a spell.(Mage Armor)(Affecting both)

dantiesilva
2015-06-24, 05:46 PM
All orcs from n14-I14 effected except Orc 1 (lead orc) and orc 12

Dekar as you tell the tale of the mountain that never bows to sea nor sky you watch as those with you seem to look more determined to fight, if protecting their home was not enough. Even Thorrun seems to be enjoying the effects of your spell as her bows shines with light. And your enemies, tiny little things they look like now, sapped of some of their strength. Now if you could only get a few of them to fall into that hole the villagers had dug this would work great. However your short term victory is short lived as their leader springs the trap at the exact moment he jumps and lands on top of the wall, an impressive feat by any races standards. Thats when he smiles wickedly and tries to bring his axe down on your head.

Attack roll 10 Damage 7

Thankfully not many can claim the same feat of strength as only 3 make it over the wall along with him. And none of them able to harm any at the moment as the others are stuck in a 5ft deep pit with sticks sticking out of them from all angels, mostly harmless, but one seems to have managed to impale himself on one of the spikes. It seems all the planning had payed off after all. Now if only this could keep going, funnel them in and not allow them to overflow then this battle would be over quickly. Thats when those in the pits shrieked, their eyes turning pitch white as their muscles bulged. There blood rage has begun, I will try to focus on them before they can wreak any havoc inside the town. Try to keep those that got inside under control. Thorrun calls out as she begins pointing out targets to those one the roofs.

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128363)

Trenchfoot
2015-06-24, 07:05 PM
Dekar

Dekar lets the attack come, bracing his shoulders and daring the orc's weapon to try and damage a dwarven skull. He pauses his song to chuckle with dark humor as the blow rings solidly against his helmet. "It's rainin' out here, brothers..." he says to his comrades, Igor and Grondo. "Wot're we to do about rain?"

My AC is higher than that attack and I take no damage, this is just flavor text in mid-battle. After readying my action, my initiative should now be just above the Orcs and below Lavender I believe, since I readied my action to take place in the midst of their movement.

dextercorvia
2015-06-24, 07:31 PM
From her perch, Wisp begins casting a spell. The incantation is slightly longer than most, and she takes advantage of the time to choose her targets carefully.

Casting Sleep. Since the Orcs will have another turn before she finishes casting, I'll announce then where the area is.

Side note, I assumed we would get more than one chance to spot them as they came running all the way down that hill.

Beam
2015-06-24, 10:20 PM
Grondo

"Looks like I get to sink my axe into an orc after all!"He bellows as he swings at the big orc that attacked Dekar.

Attacks Orc #1
Attack: [roll0] +1 BAB, +1 STR, +1 MW axe, +1 Racial Bonus, +1 Bless
Damage: [roll1] +1 STR, +1 Two-Handed, +2 Favored Enemy

Surprise round if not to late: Shortbow Attack: [roll2] BAB +1, +3 DEX
Shortbow Damage: [roll3]

DrK
2015-06-25, 12:13 AM
Igor looks at the massive orc, and releases a small part of the Lady's power leaving the morning star glowing a full red. He swings silently at the orc, his training kicking in about the solemnity of death and battle in silence.

Swift: death devotion. Charge weapon DC11 fort on hit or -ve level
Move: to orc
Std: club [roll0] dam [roll1]
--- if hit trip weapon capsule [roll2] electricity

dantiesilva
2015-06-25, 11:29 AM
Wisp watching from a safe distance atop one of the thorps temples you begin to cast a spell, anylzing the battle to make sure you pick the most opportune moment to strike. After all combat was no different then a business transaction, you simply had to position yourself so that you had the upper hand was all, and from what you could tell from the town defenses, so far the town had the upper hand.

Grondo seeing the enemy charging down the hill, you let lose an arrow into their ranks, however even with all of the targets you seem to miss by a long shot. However where your bow failed your trusty axe did not as it cuts a deep gash into the orc that had attacked your brother. No doubt another wound like that would be the end of him.

Thats when Igor arrives, with his shield and morning star that seemed to be glowing an odd red color, almost as if it were soaked in blood. However for all the visual effects, his attack seemed to fail to hit its target, no doubt due to standing upon the wall overhanging the ledge.

DrK the only legal place you could stand was where the wall was due to the building, either way your attacked missed though. Just wanted to let you know why I moved you there.

And so as you all looked on at the hoard of orcs trying to claw their ways out of the pit Thorruns voice rings out FIRE! and with that the sound of arrows being let lose from their bows can be heard. However that is not the only thing as those closest to the wall watch as roots and vines rip out of the ground trying to tie the invaders down. However only two of the orcs seem to become tied up by the vines, the others seeming to be able to evade them all completely. However the effect should at least slow them down.

Thorrun deals 10 damage to orc 14
Civillian 5 misses
Civilian 2 misses
Civilian 4 misses
Gareth deals 6 damage to orc 10
Civilian 1 misses
William misses
Cloaked figure casts spell
Civilian 7 kills orc 14
Civilian 6 deals 8 damage to orc 8
Civilian 3 misses

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128464)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Round 2
Fight

Archmage1
2015-06-25, 11:34 AM
The elf and dragon continue to move, to the west, to cover that side of the town, from the charging orcs, although she doesn't produce a weapon.
The dragon moves to Q27, and readies an action to hit the first orc to get within 5 feet of it.
The Elf moves to R28, and readies an action to cast a spell, assuming multiple orcs get within range.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-25, 11:42 AM
Dekar

Back into his battle song, Dekar reaches a crescendo; the boiling sea is burning back, though the ocean keeps rushing forward, trying to fill the empty space. "Be freed o' what holds ye!" he says in Common, adding to the song's Dwarven lyrics as he brings Ol' Painless speeding up with deadly intent into the wound opened by Grondo. He'd shear the thing in half for a quick, though violent, death... Provided his weapon strikes!

I believe that my enemy is being Flanked by at least one of my two comrades, which may affect his AC.

Attack: [roll0] +3 Str, +1 Weapon Focus Greataxe (War Domain Bonus Feat), +1 Masterwork, +1 Morale Bonus (Bless)
Damage: [roll1] +4 Str (Wielded 2-Handed)

dantiesilva
2015-06-25, 12:10 PM
@The party as you are all fighting back the hoards of orcs charging the walls you notice that their is one person, or for that matter two who seem to be out of sight. Where did that elf and its dragon go? However no time to worry about cowards, as Dekar's mighty axe cuts the orc in two that he and his friends had been working on. Now if only the others would go down as easily.

@Dekar while your axe may have stopped the first foe, you watch as another jumps out of the pit, bringing its own axe down upon you.

Attack 19 Damage 10

@Grondo As you watch Dekar being attacked, another orc comes out of the pits, trying to bring his own axe down upon your head, however the attack is wild and sloppy and misses by a very large margin.

As the battle continues a few more orcs make it into the town, however between the wall of vines, and the trench, it seems to be keeping most out at the moment.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128469)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Beam
2015-06-25, 12:38 PM
Grondo

Grondo winces as he sees Dekar take a serious hit. The best way to help was to kill these orcs fast he figures. So he takes a two-handed swing at the chest of the orc on his right.

Attacking Orc 10
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Trenchfoot
2015-06-25, 01:03 PM
Dekar

"Oof!" says Dekar as the weapon digs deeply into his shoulder. His half-plate can only guard so much against the powerful strikes of a furious orc. The damage is very lethal, and he can tell he's just a gentle push away from losing consciousness. "That was a good hit, ye bastard-coated bastard!"

Yowch! Dekar can hit hard, but at level 1 his HP is minimal. I have 1 HP remaining.

dextercorvia
2015-06-25, 02:20 PM
Wisp

The merchant lets loose with her spell near where the fighting is fiercest. She immediately begins to repeat the incantation.

10' radius burst centered at w/x,19/20 -- That should hit those three orcs, but leave Dekar, Grondo, and Igor unscathed. If I've miscalculated, please let me know. DC 17 Will Save or they fall asleep.

She is casting Sleep again.

DrK
2015-06-25, 03:27 PM
Igor curses inwardly as the beast avoids the heavy blow. Leaning back he takes a blow upon the shield before leaping forwards morning star spinning as he tries to brain the orc beside him. Looking back he winces as Dekar is hit heavily waiting to channel the Ruby Lady's power if the brave dwarf falls.

Hit Orc 11
[roll0] dam [roll1].
- If hit add [roll2] elec
- if hit DC11 fort or gain 1 negative level

dantiesilva
2015-06-25, 04:15 PM
Worried about Dekar, however knowing the best you could do to help him was to cut the enemy down before him Grondo, you take your weapon in both hands and drive it in deep as the orcs eyes turn back to normal for a moment, before it falls backwards into the ditch, very much dead.

That is not the only sign of luck however as Wisps spell takes effect and three more orcs simply lay down on the floor sleeping in the middle of combat.

Igor, seeing the advantage of your sleeping enemy, you bring your morning star down upon its face, smashing it into the pulp as jolts of electricity jolt threw the creatures body causing it to spasm a few times before it dies.

It seems the villagers are ready for another volley as well as arrows whirl around once more. And once more Thorrun proves why she has all those bear bodies stuffed in her tent as she sends the orc that had climbed up onto the other roof flying backwards with her arrow imbedded in its chest. From behind everyone the sound of fire can be heard as a few more bodies drop from arrows. It seems the early spell to bless them all was working rather well.

Civilian 5 hits orc 15 8
Civilian 2 hits orc 16 3
Civilian 4 misses
Civilian 1 hits orc 9 6
Gareth hits orc 9 10
William hits orc 17 8
Cloaked figure casts spell to make fire appear in hand.
Civilian 6 hits orc 4 3
Civilian 7 hits orc 15 4

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128549)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

This round a total of 12 orcs remain, 2 of which are asleep

Round 3
Fight

Trenchfoot
2015-06-25, 04:29 PM
Dekar

Dekar is deep in his own berzerker trance, too focused on completing the song and fighting past the pain from his terribly wounded shoulder. Forcing the ligaments and cut muscles to respond as best they could, the warpriest punishes his ensorcelled foe for submitting to the magic by bringing Ol' Painless down in into him in a single finishing strike!

Now, if I had any spells left, I'd step back and heal myself. But I don't (aside from a Domain spell which I can't convert), so I've got to keep moving on that 1 HP.

I want to use my Full Round to conduct a Coup de Grace (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Helpless_Defenders) against my opponent. This saves Igor and Grondo from having to waste actions finishing this charmed Orc. It's an automatic hit, and a Critical, so I'll deal that damage here. My Greataxe is x2, so I'll roll damage twice.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Archmage1
2015-06-25, 04:43 PM
The Elf's dragon charges Orc 15, ramming it with his horns.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage

While her companion takes care of that one, the strange elf draws back her shortbow, and fires it at orc 17, who was about to crest the wall.
[roll2] attack
[roll3] damage

dantiesilva
2015-06-25, 05:10 PM
Dekar these are no longer the days of talking as they were two days prior when you spoke of trying to cure them of their ailment, now as you bring your mighty weapon down on them it is survival. If you do not stop them they will simply kill you and move onto the next, and perhaps things were different, however as your blade cleaves the head off of the orc it didn't matter. It was better his head on a stick then yours. Especially with an elf around, speaking of elves, where had that bloody devil run off to?

Thats when you all watch as the draconic beast that came with the elf charges one of the invaders, however for all the tales told about these dragons, the orc seems to stop it easily with its hands as it roars right back at the beast.

Thats when the sound comes, like a hawk screeching as its about to dive upon its prey, however it is no bird that attacks, but an arrow that plunges straight threw an orcs skull and out the other side, and while the person who fired the arrow is still no where to be seen by those at the gate, Wisp and those in the center of town see that it was the elf who fired the arrow.

And so as dragon and orc battle the orc raises up its axe trying to slice off one of its horns as a prize.

Attack 22 Damage 22

Grondo as you turn around you watch as one of the orcs comes charging at you only to miss as if he had drank to much wine and had been seeing double how far away the blow came. However no new orcs seem to have made it into the town, all stuck in the pit.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128564)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Archmage1
2015-06-25, 05:24 PM
The dragon growls as it is hit.

DrK
2015-06-25, 05:24 PM
Happy to see electrical sparks frazzling the orc Igor spins trying to block the orc assailing Grondo. As the beast pushes past the shield he spins around to bring the heavy club on the monster's head.

Smash Orc
Atk [roll0] dam [roll1] + DC11 save or 1 negative level

Beam
2015-06-25, 07:37 PM
Grondo

Grondo smiles to himself as the orc's attack whiffs by. He swings an overhand chop down at him in return.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

dextercorvia
2015-06-25, 09:56 PM
Wisp

The halfling completes her spell, ensorcelling two orcs that made it across the wall. She whistles to the civilians on the nearby roofs and points at the orcs attempting to flank the barrier on opposite sides of the town. Normally she would balk at casting the same spell thrice in a row, but results were something Wisp never argued with. Once again she begins her sleep incantation. This time she calls upon the power of her amulet to speed her casting to give some relieve to their injured dragon ally.

Targeting Orc4 and Orc5 with last round's sleep spell.
Free:Pointing out Orc2 and Orc20 to the nearby archers.
Swift:Activate Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage
Standard: Cast Sleep on Orc15 and Orc16
DC17 Will save on those sleep spells.

dantiesilva
2015-06-26, 11:30 AM
@Igor & Grondo Not wasting any time with your friend hurt, you both lay into the new enemy who seemed to find his way to the three of you guarding the main entrance. However unlike before where you all had little breathing room, there was more then enough now, and only one orc, and two of you. Both of you swing your weapons from different angles and the orc looks from side to side seeing how he could dodge them, however the thought comes to late as Igor's morning star makes contact with his head, followed by Grondo's weapon with his stomach knocking him back over the wall, very much dead.

@Wisp Trade was a matter of trial and error. Keeping on working until you found something that worked, however work had never been this easy as another four orcs fell down asleep from your efforts. If you didn't know better it would be as if something had already weakened their minds making it easier to suggest them to sleep even. However their were still more enemies as you point out the two orcs trying to enter the town from the far sides and the civilians near you nod and notch their arrows before letting them lose.

Thorrun misses
Civilian 5 hits 8 damage to orc 15
Civilian 2 misses
Civilian 4 misses
Civilian 1 misses
Gareth hits orc 3 for 8 damage
Cloaked guy hits orc 3 for 4 damage
William misses
Civilian 7 hits orc 20 for 7 damage
Civilian 6 breaks his bow
Civilian 3 misses

For the first time this battle, Thorruns aim seems to miss as she aims at the orc that had been attacking the dragon, thankfully one of the other villagers had the same idea as he placed an arrow straight into the orcs chest. Many arrows seem to miss their targets, however Gareth seems to be marking the targets for his people to shot at as the smell of burning flesh is smelt on the battlefield, and the orc that he had fired an arrow at is now slowly burning away.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128681)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Archmage1
2015-06-26, 11:34 AM
The elf moves, heading to deal with the two orcs still approaching her, before she casts a spell(DC 15 Color Spray), hitting both of them squarely with it.(o26 or p27)
Her rather upset dragon charges at orc 16, spitting it on his horns, before letting the body fall to the ground.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage

Trenchfoot
2015-06-26, 11:40 AM
Dekar

Still ready to fight and kill, but realizing he's mere inches away from topping over, Dekar knows he needs to put away his two-handed weapon. With his left shoulder still badly injured, he slips Ol' Painless into its leather thong, and instead draws one of his Javelins from its quiver. He hefts the thing experimentally; in a few moments he'll be ready to launch it, skewering whatever it hits!

Taking an action to put away my Greataxe, and draw a Javelin.

dantiesilva
2015-06-26, 08:36 PM
@Codename Lavender (at least until she reveals her name) You have seen these orcs dropping like flies to Wisps spells, you had heard she was good at what she did, however not this good. Perhaps the orcs were simply that bad, and so you move forward and launch a ray of colors from your hand at the two closets orcs, however to your surprise while the one in the back does indeed fall to your spell the one closet to you does not, which poses bad news for you as you watch him charge at you with his greataxe held high as if he were trying to cleave you in two. However the attack goes wide, perhaps the spell you had cast didn't completely fail.

And it seems that the other remaining orc on this side was no more as you hear his gurgled cry for help, no doubt from your friend goring him to death.

@Party While most of the orcs have fallen, either asleep or to the blade, a few still remain standing, and all are now inside the town. No doubt giving up on the heavily defended areas, and instead going for the easier pickings in the back.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128797)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

dextercorvia
2015-06-26, 08:59 PM
Wisp

From her perch, the merchant woman could count four invaders still able to attack, all to spread out to take with a single spell. She signals to the nearby civilians, "Focus fire on the injured on there!" Wisp sighs as she restarts her long incantation. This time, she has no charm to speed her casting. If they take that one, and I get the one nearest to me, that leaves one for the elf and her pet, and one for the knight and the dwarves. We may be able to make this without losing anyone.

Directing the civilians to attack Orc20.

Beginning to cast sleep again -- unless something seriously changes, she'll wrap it around Orc2

Orc3 and Orc18 are still up, but damaged. I don't see any other threats.

Beam
2015-06-26, 09:08 PM
Grondo

"Come along boys, let's get the stragglers!" The ranger yells out. He moves south and east to C24.

DrK
2015-06-27, 01:04 AM
Pausing for a second Igor looks at Dekar. You shall notbdievthis day friend Dekar as he channels some healing into the wounded dwarf. Hefting up the morning star once more he looks to the next orc.

Free: put weapon down
Std: cast lesser vigour on Dekar - 1hp/turn 11 ho Max
Move: pick up weapon

Trenchfoot
2015-06-27, 08:58 AM
Dekar

The magic begins its slow but deliberate work, its positive energy gradually knitting the wounded flesh and bone and sinew back together. Dekar preferred this type of healing magic; it was strangely dwarven, how it worked slowly but inexorably toward success. He chuckles darkly to Igor. "That's a promise I'm gonna hold ye too, Igor, harr harr!" he jokes.

dantiesilva
2015-06-27, 07:10 PM
With almost all the threats neutralized, Thorrun and her people begin focusing on individuals this way they due not all become a threat once more. Thorrun is the first to fire as her arrow shots right threw the skull of a sleeping orc. Surprisingly enough it seems one of the archers on the roofs was more skilled then he was letting on as an arrow goes flying across the field and striking the orc facing off against the elf with so much force it finishes it off.

Another shot fired and another orc killed as Gareth finishes off the orc that had been put on fire only seconds ago. However the tide seems to be turning as the two civilians with Gareth both misses their shots waking up the orc that they had been firing at. Thankfully however the cloaked figure launches a ball of fire at it, which seems to do the job, however their is no more fire in his hands.

Wisp while the civilians hear you, it seems you got the worst of the bunch as the two on the left of you fire their bows and miss the target you had pointed out, thankfully the third shot hit, though not the target you had hopped. However you can see as all the others that this battle is just about over, so why didn't the orcs retreat to fight another day?

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=128992)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Archmage1
2015-06-27, 07:21 PM
Watching the orc next to her fall, the Elf fires her bow again, at orc 20, looking quite disappointed when she misses.
[roll0]
[roll1] damage

The dragon, meanwhile, heads over her, to protect her against orc 20, should he head for her(Readied action to attack if it comes within range)

Trenchfoot
2015-06-27, 08:16 PM
Dekar

The dwarf raises a hand toward the surprisingly skilled archer. "Somebody get that shooter a medal!" he calls out. With a brief chant flowing through his rolling song, Dekar increases his own pace. Despite being pretty heavily wounded, he still needs to be a part of this fight; the gradual healing would keep him alive! Javelin in-hand, he hustles south, expecting that he might be needed to help fend off the orc warrior in the eastern part of the thorp.

Dekar casts longstrider on himself using a Standard action, increasing his movement to 30.

He then uses this new speed to Move to z26, which I believe is within that range.

That ends his turn! From my understanding of Vigor, Lesser, I gained Fast Healing on the previous round when Igor cast it, gaining +1 HP. It is now the new round, so I gain another +1 hp. I should have 9 rounds of fast healing remaining.

dantiesilva
2015-06-28, 11:13 AM
Lavander as you fire off a shot from your bow you watch as the arrow is let lose from your bow, however just then it seems the wind picks up knocking your arrow off its intended course and harmlessly into one of the buildings. And that is not the only bad news as you watch the orc you missed charge at you with a thirst for blood as his greataxe comes swinging down trying to split you into two separate people.

Attack 20 Damage 10

And so with all the other orcs besides on immobilized it seems almost to easy as the rest of you move to intercept the remaining orcs before the others wake from their sleep or other aflictions.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=129047)

Dekar
Elf & Dragon
Orcs
Wisp
Grondo
Ivan
Civilians

Archmage1
2015-06-28, 11:26 AM
As the orc comes at his friend, the elf, Errol fights back, fiercly seeking to impale the orc on his horns as soon as it comes into range, and then, as it tries to move past, he hits it again.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage
[roll2] AoO
[roll3] AoO

The orc forgets his plans fairly quickly, as his blood rapidly departs his ruined body.

dextercorvia
2015-06-28, 01:11 PM
Wisp lets her spell go, and a somnetic wave pulses around the last orc standing. She draws her bow and looks for trouble.

Sleep casting finishes, DC 17 will save on Orc2.
Move: Draw Bow
(Waiting to see if the orc fails his save before attacking. If he doesn't fall asleep, she'll fire at him [roll0] for [roll1] damage. If he is asleep she'll let someone else finish him, and start making spot checks to make sure there is nothing else coming: [roll2]

dantiesilva
2015-06-28, 02:18 PM
With Errol finishing off the orc that had charged its friend, and the last remaining orc standing put to sleep a visible sigh of relief can be seen from the mayor as she looks around at the bodies. I suggest we finish them all off before they wake up, unless someone else has any suggestions. Thorrun says looking at all of you to see what you have to say on the matter.

As the encounter has officially been taken care of (7 rounds more of sleep for the first one put under the spell) so everyone receives 1,200exp

Archmage1
2015-06-28, 02:28 PM
Without responding, the elf heads over to the unconscious orc, and produces a quarterstaff, and takes him out with it, before she returns to the others, frowning.
"Keep one of the sleepers alive, and tied up. With a bit of luck, we can persuade him to tell us where they came from. Everyone all right? Errol got hit fairly badly."
Indeed, the poor dragon's head seems to be quite bloody.

Beam
2015-06-28, 07:49 PM
Grondo

With the few living orcs some distance away, Grondo decides to ensure that the slumbering orc next to him never wakes up.

Performing coupe de grace on orc #4. If I'm correct I think that's an automatic hit and critical, so I'll just roll damage.
[roll0]

Trenchfoot
2015-06-28, 07:58 PM
Dekar

It all seemed to be winding down... They had won this fight! Not a single member of their side had died! "Hey hey!" he calls out, raising his good arm in the air to the archers, and to Wisp, and to his comrades who had fought at the front with him, Grondo and Igor and Thorunn. "That's a win! That's a fight survived!" Even with the ugly wound knitting slowly and painfully with the Red Witch's healing blessing, the dwarf is ecstatic. "We did this together, ev'ry damned one of us!"

He hustles with high-spirits toward Wisp, wanting to shake her hand. "Oh, and ye were outstanding up there! Dropping those charmed orcs down so we could end 'em quickly, really great work! I had no ida you could do that!"

The joy of winning the fight, and of congratulating the thorp, gradually gives way to the dark reminder that these orcs weren't villains, but victims. Dekar still smiles, but it does begin to fade. He troops over with the gathering group, wondering if they'd now see to the orc that was captured.

dextercorvia
2015-06-28, 08:07 PM
Wisp scampers down from her perch and heads toward the others. Seeing injured companions, she lays a hand on Errol and heals him.

She blushes at Dekar's praise. "Just a few tricks I learned to stay safe doing business alone in the city."

Healing Belt -- 1 charge [roll0]

I didn't keep track of every point of damage taken. I think Igor's Lesser Vigor will take care of Dekar. Is anyone else in need?

Archmage1
2015-06-28, 08:17 PM
Errol still seems injured after Wisp's healing, and he looks up at her, hope shining in his eyes.

The elf, however, smiles at Wisp, before she looks over the fighters, and speaks, her voice fairly cool, but you can almost hear a slight trace of approval in her voice.
"It did work fairly well. Now, let's tie up the last sleeping orc, and see what we can get out of him. It'd be a shame to do all this work, and not learn where they are based, wouldn't it?"

Trenchfoot
2015-06-28, 08:31 PM
Dekar

The dwarf reaches back with his working arm, unslinging a length of hempen rope and moving toward the last orc. "I've got the rope, but until me arm gets itself back together, someone else oughtta tie it. Don't want this ensorcelled orc breaking out because o' my shoddy one-handed knots!"

dextercorvia
2015-06-28, 08:35 PM
Seeing that he is still injured, Wisp is happy to share another healing touch with the dragonlike creature. "Heilung," she attempts. The unfamiliar language sounds clumsy in her mouth.

[roll0] points of healing.
I'm considering spending a sp on learning draconic either at this level or the next so Wisp can actually talk to the whole party. Thought it was worth RPing the process slightly.

dextercorvia
2015-06-28, 09:24 PM
With the healing task completed, Wisp begins the grim task of searching the bodies. She has no love for these orcs, but something about running her hands inside a corpse's pockets turned her stomach. Still, the valuables would do them no good, so she swallows her bile and does a thorough job of it.

If she is uninterrupted, she will take 20 on each body. That is a result of 27 or 28 depending on whether the level up has taken effect yet.

dantiesilva
2015-06-28, 09:31 PM
Wisp had your stomach been weaker no doubt any food you had eaten earlier would have already risen up to the surface by now. However the trade you were in made it so that sometimes such things had to be done, and after all the dead had no use for trinkets. And with those thoughts you easily pick threw the bodies. Each seems to have the same exact objects on them as well, a chain shirt of exceptional quality, as well as a great axe that seems to prove orcs could be as good at smiting as humans at the least, and 4 poetry jars on each. Two of the jars have a single eye on them, while the others depict a beating heart.

dextercorvia
2015-06-28, 09:38 PM
When everything is sorted, Wisp looks carefully at the weapons and armor. She even pulls a small glass from one of her pockets to better examine the detail.

Appraise checks on the weapons and armor to determine whether they are masterwork quality, and bet a ballpark value on them. For simplicity, I'll have her take 10, which gives an Appraise check of 17 (19 from the magnifying glass if fine detail like a maker's mark is involved).

Archmage1
2015-06-29, 05:39 AM
The elf, hearing Dekar's words, heads over to the surviving orc, and starts tying him up, quite thoroughly. Errol follows her, looking much more content.
(Taking 20, for a 34)

Beam
2015-06-29, 09:45 AM
Grondo

"Thank the gods no one died." Grondo said. "I commend you spellcasters, would have been a lot more difficult without you." Grondo motions up to the cloaked figure. "Who's that fellow? Is he a villager?"

dantiesilva
2015-06-29, 11:57 AM
Wanting to make sure this bunch of orcs never posed a threat again to the villagers you all go to a target and deliver a mercy strike to their sleeping forms, leaving one alive as the elf goes and ties him up so tight that he no doubt wouldn't even be able to move if he used all of his strength. Und wann haben Sie lernen, den drakonischen Sprache sprechen? Errol asks patiently to Wisp as his wounds heal nicely and much faster then those of Dekar.

And when did you learn to speak the draconic tongue?

Wisp as you look over the equipment you notice an ancient makers mark on the weapons and armor, though how the orcs got their hands on such weapons is beyond you. As a trader you were known to find the rare item every now and then, however anyone worth their salt knew about the lost dwarven smiths in your trade, and as you looked upon weapons after weapon, and chainmail after chainmail suit their is no denying that this belongs to one of the lost houses. But how did they get in the orcs hands?

Masterwork quality armor and weapons

With the villagers going to see their families and loved ones to hold them again Thorrun walks over to all of you. If you look at the orcs closely they all seem to have the same marks this time around, however they are not of one of the tribes I know, do any of you recognize it? she asks worried.

Dwarves get a +2 on knowledge history check for this.

Beam
2015-06-29, 12:46 PM
Grondo

"I'm afraid I never paid much attention to the old tales" Grondo admits.

[roll0]

Archmage1
2015-06-29, 01:05 PM
The elf returns her shortbow, and remaining arrows to the villagers as well, but she shakes her head at Thorrun's question.
"I don't recognize it as a tribal marking. Perhaps we'll be able to get it out of our prisoner?"

dextercorvia
2015-06-29, 01:11 PM
Wisp lugs one last suit of armor to the checked pile, but by this point she is certain. "This is dwarven work, all by the same crafter. It looks like something made for the Great War -- probably before the war, since once the fighting starts it is usually more important to churn out pieces that to spend time crafting exceptional work like this. If these weapons and armor were commissioned for a guard squad, I'd expect it to cost more than 10,000 golds. Rather costly for suicide soldiers. Whoever is doing this either has more coin than most kingdoms, or is sitting on a vast stockpile of arms from the Great War. I can only think of one other possibility -- and we should hope for this one. This lot of orcs stumbled on a smaller forgotten cache before being charmed into attacking."

Archmage1
2015-06-29, 01:15 PM
The elf looks... inscrutable at Wisp's news.
"Interesting. There are also several other possibilities, but it does seem likely that these orcs are based in a dwarven ruin, one that they dug out. If so, they were likely taken from the fallen. We need to know where they came from, so we can deal with the source, somehow."

DrK
2015-06-30, 01:07 AM
Igor looks about smiling grimly at the carnage, offering Dekar a brief salute in recognition of a job well done. That fine he lives from orc to orc muttering a few words of prayer above each dead body to send its spirit onwards in peace.
Can we use the ditch as a grave. It is not good to leave the bodies out in the warm for too long.

Walking to the others he looks at the weapons Fine work. Beter than I would have expected for an orc. What should we do next? Investigate the source.

Archmage1
2015-06-30, 05:32 AM
The elf shrugs.
"Certainly, if you'd like to handle the disposal of the remains, I'll identify the potions. Thorunn, Do you have an issue with you taking the weapons and armor, as your share?"

After she finishes, she'll start trying to identify potions, looking at them in some detail.

Looking at a selection of each type
[roll0] spellcraft, heart potion
[roll1] spellcraft, heart potion
[roll2] spellcraft, heart potion
[roll3] spellcraft, heart potion
[roll4] spellcraft, heart potion
[roll5] spellcraft, heart potion

[roll6] spellcraft, eye potion
[roll7] spellcraft, eye potion
[roll8] spellcraft, eye potion
[roll9] spellcraft, eye potion
[roll10] spellcraft, eye potion
[roll11] spellcraft, eye potion
Ok... maybe she doesn't identify them...

Beam
2015-06-30, 08:37 AM
Grondo

"Aye, let's bury these bodies. Or dump them in the pit and burn them. Whatever the village prefers."

"A group this size should be easier to track." The ranger says.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-30, 09:38 AM
Dekar

The knowledge that the arms and armor might've come from before the Great War definitely gets Dekar's attention. He hefts a suit of the chain himself, picking bits of gore out of the links as he looks more closely at it. This did appear to be of Dwarven-make... Perhaps they had been a little short on the midsection of the orcs, indicating their design for a shorter torso? With the suggestion of offering these items to the thorp, the cleric thinks its a fine idea. "Aye, let these arms and armor go to a good use. These folk'll feel more confident knowin' it's dwarf-made gear protectin' em."

As for the burial, Dekar has this to say. "They came to our us not o' their own accord, smashed against our walls an' fought an' died, an' we'll bury em out there under the shadow of those same walls. I dun' wanna think of it as buryin' em in a ditch, but... if we've got a hole dug, it's better than leavin' em out fer the animals to eat."

When Grondo points out that the larger group will be easier to track, Dekar claps his hands together, then winces as a sharp pain jumps through his left shoulder. "That's good thinkin Grondo!" he announces. "Mayhaps we'll go check the direction of travel now while the tracks are fresh! We can rest a bit, then get out there and see what den of evil commanded these folk! " He straps down his backpack and makes sure his weapons are in good order. "I'll come out with ye to check em, in case there's wolves or stragglers out there fartin' around."

It sounds like it's confirmed that these are Dwarven, so I hope we don't mind me writing the assumption that that is true in my post here.

Dekar is curious as to the clan of dwarves that made these shirts, so I'm just rolling a die to see if he knows. I should take a rank in Knowledge (History) if we ever find a library he can study at.
Knowledge (History) - [roll0]

dextercorvia
2015-06-30, 10:10 AM
Wisp

"Don't be so hasty to offer that which doesn't belong to you, Lavender. Only ten stepped forward to fight; I can see leaving Thorunn's people 10 suits, and an axe if they want it. The rest we can sell to others on the border who are needing it. I've got contacts with a few caravans that may still be bold enough to travel this way, and I'd be happy to let these folk have a cut of that. However, if we hadn't been here, there would be more than a few deaths. We've earned the dragon's share of this take." She tosses here borrowed bow into the pile. "Those who hid in their homes and wouldn't even fight for their own village -- to defend their own children -- have earned nothing but the safety they purchased from us."

Archmage1
2015-06-30, 10:15 AM
The elf seems to be focused on the potions, and doesn't acknowledge Wisp's remark.
And Wisp had been doing so well. If the villagers want them, there isn't anything we can do to stop them, and they weigh too much to take them with us. They will end up with the villagers, so we might as well buy goodwill with them. With luck, we can get supplied here for free, and use it as a base. Maybe even encourage them to go a bit further in terms of defensive works. But I've got these potions to examine, and letting the villagers in on that line of reasoning would be counterproductive.

Trenchfoot
2015-06-30, 10:18 AM
Dekar

Dekar the dwarf hears a warrior's voice. He turns, confused for a moment, until he sees that the challenging voice came from Wisp! She had some damned good points to make; let those who fought get the armor! Let the rest be put to the use of the others who fought; namely the adventurers who made sure this fight didn't become a massacre of innocents!

The dwarf moves symbolically to Wisp's side, crossing his burly arms in support of her point. He would stubbornly deny that taking the chance to side against the elf was a contributing factor to his choice; he had just voiced his support of granting all of the arms and armor to the people, after all. Wisp's argument though, and a rebellious desire to make sure the elf didn't always call the shots, were a big part of this change.

dextercorvia
2015-06-30, 01:30 PM
Wisp

"Thorunn, do you use birds, runners, or magic to get messages to nearby towns? If I can get word to a contact, a caravan will visit you within a week or two at most. Take a chain shirt and an axe for each of your warriors that fought. If you can set aside the extra arms until then, and handle the transfer, you can keep ten percent of the coin for this thorp. We'll leave in the morning to back trace this orcish threat. When we return to let you know what we found, we'll collect the rest of the money."

She turns addressing any townsfolk that have come out, "Every citizen has the right and the duty to learn how to defend him or herself! It is too easy to trust others to do your fighting, but there is always a price to be paid for safety. If the Great War has come again, that price may be your freedom or your life. Everyone of you old enough to hold a sling, a bow, or a sword should learn. Practice daily. This sheriff you have today is not such a bad sort, but what of the next one? If you are able to defend yourself, it matters not who leads. If all are armed, then none is superior and none inferior. Trusting your neighbor for your defense only lasts as long as your neighbor stands. Are not two fighters better than one. Stand together!"

DrK
2015-06-30, 03:52 PM
Igor

Igor looks at Wisp and shrugs slightly. He wasn't massively concerned by wealth. His needs had always been covered by the temple. Looking about his brushes his long hair out his face and approaches the dwarves. "Master Grondo, are you prepared to track the orc in the morning? He looks about at the other Orc. "Are you ready for more battle and dancing with the Ruby Goddess master Dekar?"

Beam
2015-06-30, 05:11 PM
Grondo

Wisp seems to know how to drive a good bargain.He thinks. He'll go along with whatever deal her and the villagers manage to hash out.

"Aye, gladly." The ranger responds to Ivan's query. "I want to know who's passing out Dwarven work to these sorts. I'm also curious as to what the survivor has to say. Can we wake him?"

Trenchfoot
2015-06-30, 05:44 PM
Dekar

It's a good belly-laugh that makes its way from Dekar's bearded lips as Igor mentions 'Dancing with the Ruby Lady'. He quickly apologizes, not wanting to be disrespectful. "Och, sorry, just got this image o' me tryin' to dance with the Goddess o' magic, me hands on her hips, heh, swayin' about, sorry. Pardon me disrespect." He makes a worried face for a brief moment, hoping a ruby bolt of lightning wouldn't strike down from the skies.

With as many of the comrades in tow as are interested, Dekar takes Grondo's cue and stands astride the unconscious orc. "Alright, let's see what these feller's are like when they're head's ain't full o' bloodlust!"

He gives the orc a few shakes, even a pat on the cheek if need be.

dantiesilva
2015-07-01, 08:03 AM
Grondo admitting to your peers and fellow dwarf that you didn't pay much attention to the old tales of your ancestors and clan the markings just seem like a bunch of lines to you with no meaning. If it came to orcs you may have been an expert, but your own race was another matter entirely.

Perhaps however I am not so sure, they were just screaming and shouting war cries moments earlier, and didn't say anything while they were fighting us. However it wouldn't be wise to burn a bridge because it is unlikely to show promise I must agree. Thorrun says as she looks at the sleeping form of the orc that was now tied up, no doubt he would be waking up very soon.

Wisp letting the others know your find, and what you think could have happened for the orcs to get them. And while the elf seems to agree with you, the others mostly seem to worry less about the fine details of trade like you. Igor no less wanted to know what you were going to do next as the sheriff shakes her head for using the ditch to bury the orcs.

As the elf asks Thorrun if she would be willing to take the weapons as their share of money from the battle Thorrun gets ready to shake hands and seal the deal when Wisp speaks up. Had you not been here there would have been more deaths, however you also wouldn't have gotten anything of value and we would be keeping everything. 10 suits of armor and weapons, followed by 50% of what is sold. Thorrun says crossing her arms. Unless of course you would like to sit here and wait for your contact to get back, and during that time you will need to eat and sleep, no doubt bathe every now and then. Thorrun says seeming to count her fingers, something Wisp has seen hagglers do often when looking for a fair price.

Dekar hefting up the dwarven made items you almost immediately recognize the workers mark. It is the mark of the Ram's hammer clan, the same clan one of your family members belonged to before they were destroyed by the elves during the great war. But how did these get so far from the mountains? You didn't know of the Ram's Hammer clan leaving the mountains except for once, and that was when they found the creations of Mordain. Surely these weapons and armors could not be centuries old and still in this good of quality.

As the elf tests the potions she takes a small drop of each, the one with the heart left the faint taste of apricots on her tongue, as it filled her with a warmth. While the one with an eye made her feel like their was a bubble around her.

CLW Heart
Shield of Faith +2 Eye

As talks of tracking them the following morning and waking the orc up come up Thorrun looks at all of you oddly. We should interrogate him in the morning, throw him in a cell until then, otherwise we will all be tired in the morning. she says yawning.

Archmage1
2015-07-01, 08:11 AM
As she finishes identifying the potions, the elf stands up, carefully putting them into her pack, before she heads over to the arguing Wisp.
"Wisp, we'll get whatever value from the arms and armor Thorunn chooses to give us, because we're not going to be here. It would make more sense to trade them for supplies for our next trip, because we're not going to be here. I'd be quite surprised if any caravan in these areas had the amount of gold that these weapons and armor is worth. Simply giving them to her is the most logical thing to do, because we can't sell them, and she can. In return, she can provide us with supplies, a decently safe base, holding facilities, and in the future, she may be able to help us in other ways. Ignoring the long view in favor of the short is not a good trait. This way, we keep the easily transportable wealth, the gold, the potions, and they get armor and weapons they can use, making it a win for everyone."

dextercorvia
2015-07-01, 08:52 AM
Wisp looks pained at Thorunn's counteroffer, but with the mixed support of these others she was purporting to represent, she accepts. She let's Thorunn take the orc away then turns to the others.

"Elf, in the long run, we are all dead. As it stands we get all the goodwill you seem so keen on and half the price of the other weapons. Had you kept your mouth shut, we'd likely have gotten 75 percent instead. You elves may be the masters of mysterious clues, but leave the haggling to someone who knows the trade. Arguing our share down is incredibly short sighted. Lavender, you still haven't said why your people wanted me here, but I will tell you openly why I'm here. I lost a fortune to these raids, and I'm here to make it back. You saw before -- both in dealing with that woman and in this battle -- that I can be an ally of yours. But, if you actively work against my purposes, I will work against yours.

Priest, I'm not here out of some duty to my god. Dwarves, nor am I here out of hatred of orcs or love of battle. I will fight as needed, because I believe what I told those people earlier. Defending my interests is my responsibility. And, mind controlled orcs raiding the border is definitely not in my interests."

Archmage1
2015-07-01, 09:04 AM
The elf sighs.
"And once again, short sited responses cause long term issues. You do realize, don't you, that we are likely to need to keep coming here, and we will need it to be here, yes? With better equipment, the villagers will be more inspired to train, increasing the likelihood that they will still be here when we come here. There isn't a whole lot else out here, if you hadn't noticed. To make it even better, now, you've angered Thorunn, and she can cause us all sorts of problems, and you're completely neglecting that she's in total control of the sales. If she says that the armor and weapons sold for two coppers of profit a piece, you're stuck with it. We're already only getting what she chooses to let us have, because we can't be here to supervise the sale! Never, ever cause someone in a position to cause issues for you to dislike you. You might be an expert trader, but you are not a commander. You are existing in a world where everyone keeps their word, where they don't bend the rules, perfectly legitimately, for their own gain. There will be plenty of chances for wealth. Now, where we could have gotten supplies, tools, potentially help for free, we are going to need to pay, and, probably pay dearly for them."

dextercorvia
2015-07-01, 09:34 AM
"Honestly, we earned about all the goodwill we could with Thorunn by defending her town. Asking a fair share doesn't offend her. For all her bravado, they didn't have enough warriors to defend against a dozen orcs, let alone twenty. If we hadn't been here, this would have gone quite differently.

I know you don't think much of anyone not an elf, but you insult a would-be ally by assuming she would stiff us. I'm no stranger to dishonesty, but I prefer to give people a chance -- just like I'm giving you a chance. I know what that stuff is worth, and what price she's likely to get. If she offers us much less than that, then I know either she is cheating us or a fool, and I move on to help the next village. It's a long border, elf, and just because your superiors picked this town to call us to doesn't mean this is the way it has to get done.

If you don't like the way I negotiate, then you are free to negotiate for yourself in the future. You can work for nothing while I get paid. But, do not presume offer for my services for less than I've asked for.

You are right about one thing, though. I'm not the commander, but neither are you. You asked us here, and gave us a bit of information. We are each going to help or not for our own reasons, not because we've agreed to follow you or anyone."

Trenchfoot
2015-07-01, 09:39 AM
Dekar

Dekar, firmly on Wisp's side in this, speaks up to support her. "We ain't bound to this one thorp, an I ain't a slave to a contract or to gold. I'm bound to me own morals and loyalties. There's other folk out here in the wild that'll buy good armor, an' failin' that me own people would surely take it, so I ain't fer seein' how we're stuck with the say-so of one person. We dwarves can carry a heavy load a long way; we're built fer it, elf." To show that it was just a thing, well-crafted or no, he drops the chainmail, its links clattering together with a brief and strident sound. "An if these folk ain't inspired to fight an' save their own children and livelihoods without the promise of armor they didn't know existed yesterday, then to hell with 'em."

He remembers with shame his earliest years of youth when, among his wealthy merchant family, he was given any gift he craved, any toy he saw in a shop, pushed quickly into his greedy hands. It wasn't until he started working for his needs and wants that he truly began to appreciate them.

"The frontier needs help, aye, an I'd like to help it, but help don't mean givin' this thorp everythin' they ask fer just because they want it."

Archmage1
2015-07-01, 09:43 AM
The elf sighs, and shakes her head once more.
"If we hadn't, chances are we would have been attacked alone, and one or more of us would have died. That isn't something that raises goodwill, as we didn't have a choice. As for giving away the arms and armor... She wouldn't need to be dishonest. With one caravan, she'll never get full price, because there is no other market. Why would they offer a fair price? She might only be able to sell them as scrap. She is unlikely to get their full value, and we will get even less. Simply giving them to her would have been much more productive. The way to earn loyalty is to ensure their survival, and ensure economical success. Simple as that."
At Wisp's final statement, she laughs.
"Oh, dear, don't you know? The one with the information is the commander, whether overt or covert. But enough of this. What's done is done. I simply ask that you don't conduct unilateral trade negotiations without talking with me first. I'm sure you wouldn't want me selling your share without your permission, so I expect the same courtesy in return."
With that, she departs, looking for a good spot to meditate.

dextercorvia
2015-07-01, 11:20 AM
Wisp

"I've been thinking about that," Wisp tells the others after the elf is gone. "The only information she gave is that they were under some sort of charm. That didn't change how we approached this at all. I've a feeling the elves are almost as in the dark about what's going on as we are."

As the elf leaves, Wisp thinks of all the things she'd like to have said. So, much for elven rationality. She's sure I wouldn't want her selling my share, but she was sure willing to give it away! Fight them alone? Hah! We had two days. We could have abandoned them to their fate like that other woman.

DrK
2015-07-01, 04:02 PM
Igor

Igor tries to make a placating gesture between the elf and the halfling. "Wisp. please, I know we need to be rewarded but this much money is more than any of us have likely seen before. Make a deal with THorunn, it will only be useful in the future. And Master Elf, please, while you clearly do not like us lesser races it isn't the most productive to let it show so often. I suspect at some point you may be suprised when your sense of superiority is punctured. "

Point made the tall man walks back across the dwarves who he is beginning to feel a much better kinship with. "Are you ready Grondo? Make sure to take a few potions, with you. THey may save you in a pinch."

If no-one objects could I take 2 of each potion?

Beam
2015-07-01, 05:22 PM
Grondo

"I have a few healing potions already,"Grondo says."I don't want to be weighed down, so the rest of you take as many potions as you like."

He looks toward the orc survivor. "I'm ready to follow their trail whenever we're ready.But I'd like to hear what that fellow has to say first. If the magic supposedly compelling him allows him to answer questions. Also, we might want to wait until you casters can recharge your spells."

Trenchfoot
2015-07-01, 06:54 PM
Dekar

Dekar takes the lead from Grondo and Igor, pocketing two of the healing potions, and two of the shield potions. He couldn't recall whether the orcs had drank any of these. He inspects the bottles, curious about any labelling, and how the glass was blown. Were these dwarven as well?

"Well, Grondo, Thorunn wants to interrogate the orc on the morn'. If'n we wait till then, we priests will be able to pray, and we will all be rested. An if we ain't welcome to stay within the walls, we can sleep outside til the sunrise."

I take the above-mentioned potions for my pack. I'm ready to move to the next morning, if everyone else is.

DrK
2015-07-02, 12:36 AM
Igor

Igor looks at the dwarves and shrugs slightly. I'm too keen. Apologies. Let's us wake to the morning.

dantiesilva
2015-07-02, 12:35 PM
Deciding to put the matter of the armor and chainmail aside for another time, you all agree that you need to rest to regain your spells, and with the morning light the tracks should be a lot easier to follow, especially with such a large group. Let's just hope the prisoner is very talkative in the morning.

The rest of the night goes by uneventfully and calm, as if the attack had never happened. However as you all wake up and head towards his jail cell you know it was real. Sitting inside watching the orc is Thorrun, a table set aside from the prisoner has an assortment of breakfast foods, from eggs, to what looks like ham, even some fruits. Hope you all slept well, and have decided as a group of what we shall all be doing with that armor and weapons. After all you are already taking all the money and potions. Thorrun says as she lets you all sit down to eat breakfast before questioning the prisoner.

The stone lord will come and strike you all down. He will kill you all and we shall be his servants. But if you let me go we can be friends, work together, take what belongs to the stone lord. Make the world his once more. You want to worship the stone lords, they are very kind and merciful. The orc says seeming to jump from angry to calm in an instant.

Trenchfoot
2015-07-02, 12:46 PM
Dekar

A bit disturbed by the unusual emotional display, Dekar says nothing. Instead, he wonders about that phrase, Stone Lords. Make the world theirs once more? What could that mean?

A knowledge religion roll, and a knowledge history roll, to try and determine what this could be referring to. Probably a high DC!

Knowledge (Religion) - [roll0]
Knowledge (History) - [roll1]

Beam
2015-07-02, 12:59 PM
Grondo

Stone Lord? I don't like the sound of that. Combined with these Dwarf-made armor and weapons...

"What is this Stone Lord?" He harshly asks. "Is he a Dwarf? Where did you get your gear?

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 01:14 PM
As everyone awakens, the elf already seems to be active, just walking around, but as everyone else awakens, she follows into the prison, sweeping in.
"Thorunn, I think it makes sense to give them to you, the others seem to feel that they can get a better deal, somehow. Giving you the weapons and armor, while we take the potions and gold seems like a decently fair split of the wealth gained. We both get things of roughly equal value that we can use."
She looks a bit disdainful of the food, but she does eat, at least, some bread and fruit. After she finishes, and the interrogation begins, she sighs.
"A stone lord is something we can discuss at a later date."
After that, she smiles at the orc.
"He sounds wonderful! Maybe you could tell us how to reach him, so we can experience his kindness as well?"

DrK
2015-07-02, 02:13 PM
Igor looks sideways at the dwarves and Wisp as the elf speaks. A quiet whisper "I was happy to give up my claim on any armour and weapons.. I don't think Wisp was as happy. But certainly not for the elf to speak for all of us. Listening to the Orc he looks around at the others, "So... this Stonelord does he have a name or a race to attach to him? The last few words muffled slightly by the munching on a large hunk of bead and a sip of the light breakfast ale...

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 02:21 PM
The elf sighs.
"I know what the stone lord is. But there is no need to go into that at the moment, currently, we need to focus on stopping it, before it grows more powerful."

Trenchfoot
2015-07-02, 02:27 PM
Dekar

Dekar pulls on his beard thoughtfully, and speaks up. "I wanna know what the orc has to say about the Stone Lord." he announces.

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 02:30 PM
The elf sighs, and mutters under her breath.
"Of course you do... Just like last time... That turned out well, didn't it?"

dextercorvia
2015-07-02, 02:38 PM
Wisp sits down at the table to hear Lavender again sabotaging her negotiations. She forks two slices of ham, and takes some eggs as well."Take them if you want, Thorunn, since the elf seems bent on you having them. I expect this means you will be able to manage your defense without any assistance next time. It also means I'm done giving the elf the benefit of the doubt. Lavender, if I can't trust you not to unilaterally decide how loot is going to be split, we're going to need a deal in writing before I take one step anywhere with you. I prefer a simple arrangement. I expect no less than one fifth of the appraised value of any spoils we come across as a team. I recommend the same for the other three. That leaves a fifth for you. If you want to give your share away to those benefiting from our services, that is your business." She slices her ham into bites as she talks, then shovels the food into her tiny mouth.

"When you get your information out of the orc, let me know. I'll be ready to go as soon as you hand over my share of last night's spoils." She bites down on a chunk of bread slathered with butter and stuffs an apple into her pocket for later.

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 02:48 PM
The elf seems surprised by Wisp's reaction.
"So you would prefer to deny others the means they need to defend themselves? I have no objections to splitting salable goods fairly, however, we couldn't sell the arms and armor, which left us the choice to leave them here, or... destroy them? I don't consider such equipment part of the spoils. But, if you can't go anywhere, or do anything, without being paid "Fairly", then why are you here? Adventuring tends to be a high risk, low reward kind of occupation. If you want guaranteed rewards, being a farmer is a better choice. I'm sure Thorunn would be happy to set you up as one, if that's what you desire."

DrK
2015-07-02, 03:24 PM
Igor looks around at the elf brushing some crumbs out his thick beard. "Well if you know about this Stone Lord why don't you tell the rest of us. I find it hard to trust a person who would withhold information about a potential threat that we are about to try and hunt down.".
He looks at the dwarf beside him in agreement to his demand.

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 03:29 PM
She sighs once more at the other's inability to grasp the obvious.
"That would be because I've been instructed to keep that information limited. Once we get closer, I'll tell you. Until then, you don't need to know."

dextercorvia
2015-07-02, 03:50 PM
"Just because you don't consider it spoils doesn't make it so. One person being too small-minded to profit from a situation doesn't make it unprofitable. If I understand you correctly, you refuse to accept my suggested even distribution of loot. You have information about the situation that you refuse to share. And, you insist on treating the rest of us like we are simpletons. Why is it again, that you think we should go anywhere with you?"

Wisp stands up from the table to get some air. "Oh, and if you think that farming is a good example of reward with no risk, you are so out of touch with the reality down here on earth that you should fly back to your cloud castle or wherever you came from. I'll be outside."

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 03:53 PM
The elf shakes her head.
"I'm not going to be buying the weapons and armor that weren't yours to begin with from you. I've already said that we can split what we find, but that, of course, isn't "Fair", now is it?. As for farming is quite safe, as, after all, no one kills the farmers, as they pay taxes, and don't fight."

DrK
2015-07-02, 04:33 PM
She sighs once more at the other's inability to grasp the obvious.
"That would be because I've been instructed to keep that information limited. Once we get closer, I'll tell you. Until then, you don't need to know."

Igor looks unimpressed at the elf. "If you do not tell us what we need to know now I shall not be leaving with you at all elf." He looks about at the others seeking support from the dwarves and watches as Wisp leaves the table and the room.

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 04:35 PM
The elf shakes her head once more.
"I'm not going to discuss that while in town."

dextercorvia
2015-07-02, 04:35 PM
"That isn't what I meant. I acquiesced to giving those away, since I wasn't quick enough to arrange otherwise ahead of time. I believe you have the forty potions from last night, though. I'd like my eight."

Archmage1
2015-07-02, 04:51 PM
"Certainly. But we ave a prisoner to interrogate first."

Beam
2015-07-02, 06:15 PM
Grondo

"You have too many secrets, elf. Don't even know your flippin' name. I'm not here to work for you or your bosses. I'm here to protect people. Now that I see this Dwarf gear being used to attack people I want to know how and who's responsible. So, I'm on board, but once we leave this village it's time to end all this secrecy." Grondo bristles.

"Oh, and keep the armor and weapons." He says to Thorunn. "Doesn't really matter to me. I've got good gear of my own and enough gold as it is."

dantiesilva
2015-07-05, 12:39 PM
Dekar thinking back about your time in the temple, you try to remember anytime the name stone lord was used. Their were the earth elementals of high power who took the name, even some dwarven paragons of old. Then their was also the story your uncle used to keep telling at family parties about a great stone monolith sent to them by Mordain, he referred to it as the Stone Lord, though he himself had never seen it.

Grondo as you look troubled at the orc and asking him what the stone lord was he seems to smile. He is our salvation,the one who will make the world better for their children. The one who will destroy all who oppose him and stand in his way. Crush them like pebbles between their fingers. The orc says, once more seeming to switch back and forth between calm and crazed. The stone lord is no dwarf, the orc says sounding offended Though dwarfs serve most happily to their lord, to make the world for their children. The stone Lord rewards those worthy. he says irrily.

He will come soon, when the sky is as red as the moon he will move against their enemies for their children. Awakening the others who sleep in stone. The orc says, to the elf before smiling. Your race will be the first they destroy, heretics that they are, imprsioners of the lords of old. They have not forgotten what you have done, they will never forget, but you will. Yes you will forget, and then you will be forgotten. the orc says before laughing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-8pfMWjDA)

As the weapons and armor are handed over to Thorrun she smiles as she puts them in a chest off to the side for the moment. While you stay here room and board will be free of charge. As I said we are a people who believe in fair trade. Thorrun says kindly, letting you all finish the interrogation.

You are not sure where however you can sense your masters presence checking in on you, as if he was making sure you didn't fail. Out of all the commanders he was the most voiced about bringing all the races together on this mission, and had left you his top student in charge to follow out the task.

Archmage1
2015-07-05, 09:25 PM
The elf smiles back, but it is a cold smile, a promise of things to come.
"Come now, surely such a mighty lord has a place he calls home?"

dextercorvia
2015-07-05, 10:12 PM
Wisp sits outside the tent, listening in as best she can. Alright Wisteria Greymote, you may have overreacted a bit. Maybe, but I'll be damned before I admit it to that elf in there. I wonder what this business about a stone lord is. I have the feeling that I'd be more in the know if I'd paid more attention to studying history.

DrK
2015-07-06, 12:12 AM
Igor looks coldly at the supercilious elf before stepping outside. he'd heard and seen interrogations before, the church of Wee Jas had a grim speciality there and guessed there was little more the orc would tell them.

He looked down Wisp and nodded. A trying morning there. What will you do now? I fell I should aid this village but I am not sure how much more of the arrogance I can take from the elf. Sure, his race are powerful at the moment but it changes...

Trenchfoot
2015-07-06, 11:56 AM
Dekar

The dwarf's expression changes visibly as he recalls mention of the Stone Lords. He tries to hide it, but fails of course, as he is not the most subtle of dwarves. He remains silent for now, and will brief his comrades once they are out of the interrogation.

dextercorvia
2015-07-06, 01:47 PM
"I'm still here to help -- somehow. This unrest is especially bad for my business. Had I stayed where I was, I'd be a beggar in a few weeks. So, for better or worse, I might as well be here. This village and that elf," Wisp shrugs. "Elves have great wisdom from their long years, but sometimes their view is so long term that the likes of you or me wouldn't turn a profit in our lifetimes. That is a good way to rule a nation or manage an orchard, but not always the best way to fight a war. That's what we're heading toward I fear. Had I been quicker to catch it, I'd have invested that last round in arms instead of diamonds, but there's naught for it now. Most of the elves I've met before this have been more magnanimous about their position in society -- part of that long view, I suspect. Occasionally you meet a smug one that makes you think the dwarves are not unjustified in their prejudices."

DrK
2015-07-06, 04:06 PM
Igor crouches down sitting beside Wisp on the ground. "Wise words. Its not helpful being in the Temple all the time. We lose perspective on the real world. On the subject of elves. Well.... he runs a hand through his thick beard "I feel I have more in common with the bearded ones. And I like the two of we have met."

He glances back at the door of the tent and shrugs. "I'm curious now so at the very least I shall have to start on the journey to at least hear what the elf has to say. Though please Wisp, don't tell the elf!".

Trenchfoot
2015-07-06, 04:28 PM
Dekar

Dekar, his thick-head full of concern and the slow, grinding attempt to remember, steps out of the tent. He does not hear Wisp's words or Igor's compliment, but he does step nearer to them once outside. Despite meeting so recently, he had gone through quite a bit with Grondo, Wisp and Igor, and he felt that he could trust them with just about anything; even with the news he was about to share.

"Beggin' yer pardon, you two." he says, keeping his voice low. "But this ain't the first time I heared of a Stone Lord." He turns to the side, his copper-colored eyes gazing out beyond the town as the memories slowly made their way back to him. "The Stone Lord title's as old as it sounds. Ancient and powerful Elementals of Earth would take the name, as would some of the old Dwarf lords. True heroes and nobles of my people would take the name, but they're few, even in our long history."

"I also had a real cheek-pincher of an uncle who talked of a gift from the greatest of the Dwarven gods, Moradin. Twas some sorta monolith, an it was called a Stone Lord. I ain't fer knowin whether it's true, or whether the monolith was an elemental itself, or somethin' else." He shakes his head, and pulls absently at the still-unrepaired damage to the armor around his shoulder, where he was cut. "We already knew there was somethin' deep goin' on here, deep enough to steal the will of these orcs. I'm thinkin' me own folk are involved in this story somehow, more'n the damned elf's been tellin'."

Beam
2015-07-06, 07:45 PM
Grondo

The dwarf walks out of the tent with Dekar. "Maybe the elf can get something useful out of him, but I doubt it." He says when they join the others. He is worried by Dekar's information.

"Something very old and very powerful." He harrumphs. "Once we're on the trail, I'm done with secrets. I don't particularly care what her name is, but if she knows what's behind this and expects help, she'd better loosen her lips"

dextercorvia
2015-07-06, 08:26 PM
Wisp nods at the others' words. "It sounds like it is to our benefit to travel with her...for now. I'm interested in getting some answers as well. There may be a time coming up when it would be best to go our own way."