PDA

View Full Version : Console TheWombatOfDoom's - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Point Race

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-07, 03:00 PM
Watch as MajesticWind and TheWombatOfDoom take on each other in playing one of their favorite games: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. We aren't having a traditional speedrun. Instead we both play through the game as quickly as possible, trying to obtain different collectibles...at the SAME TIME. Each item has a point value, and it may not matter who beats the game first...because in this game the points matter! Watch as we battle to see who is the biggest nerd!

As a note, this is not the Majora's Mask 3d for the DS, this is good old N64 version. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the hijinks and hilarity that occurs as the two of us struggle to come out on top!

Episode 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1mL_CuMzcU)
Episode 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzU9G2bLZs)
Episode 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COF8w2qcD5Y)
Episode 4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecXi1NR892M)

The Point Breakdown

Required:
-Beat all temples
-Collect all masks
-Bank 3000+ rupees
-Collect 4+ bottles
-Earn all 20 bomber happy stickers
-Learn all songs

Temples
Woodfall - Solve Time (300), Boss Time (200), First Foot (200), Witch's Bottle (150), Sonata of Awakening (150)
Snowhead - Solve Time (350), Boss Time (250), First Foot (200), Lens of Truth (175), Goron Lullaby (175)
Great Bay - Solve Time (400), Boss Time (300), First Foot (200), Hookshot (200), New Wave Bossa Nova (200)
Stone Tower - Solve Time (500), Boss Time (350), First Foot (200), Mirror Shield (250), Elegy of Emptiness (250)

Temple Maps & Compasses
Woodfall Map (25), Woodfall Compass (25), Snowhead Map (50), Snowhead Compass (50), Great Bay Map (100), Great Bay Compass (100), Stone Tower Map (150), Stone Tower Compass (150)

Owls
20 points each

Masks
Full points for who gets it first, half for last

Postman's Hat (300),
All Nights Mask (300),
Blast Mask (150),
Stone Mask (50),
Great Fairy's Mask (150),
Deku Mask (50),
Keaton's Mask (300),
Bremen's Hat (150),
Bunny Hood (50),
Don Garo Mask (150),
Mask of Scents (300),
Goron Mask (100),
Romani Mask (150),
Circus Leader's Mask (150),
Kafei's Mask (100),
Couples Mask (500),
Mask of Truth (400),
Zora Mask (150),
Kamaro Mask (150),
Gibdo Mask (150),
Garo Mask (150),
Captain's Hat (300),
Giant Mask (150),
Fierce Deity Mask (200)

Heart pieces
Full points for first, Half for second, Double if the other didn't get it

-50 points per piece

Bottles
Full points for first, Half for second, Double if the other didnt get it

1st Bottle (50),
2nd Bottle (100),
3rd Bottle (150),
4th Bottle (200),
5th Bottle (200),
6th Bottle (300)

Upgrades
Full points for first, Half for second, Double if the other didnt get it

Adult Wallet (200),
Giants Wallet (400),
Big Bomb Bag (150),
Biggest Bomb Bag (300),
Big Quiver (150),
Biggest Quiver (300),
Gilded Sword (300),
Powered Spin Attack (200),
Double Magic Bar (200),
Strong Hearts (200),
Great Fairy Sword (200),
Ocarina of Time (100),
Song of Storms (100),
Epona's Song (100)

Tingle Maps
Full points for first, Half for second

Clocktown Map (60),
Woodfall Map (60),
Snowhead Map (60),
Great Bay Map (60),
Ikana Valley Map(60),
Romani Map (60)

Endgame bonuses
-least Cycles Used (200)
-least Deaths (200)
-least Fairy Deaths (200)
-first Done (200)
-most Heart Pieces (200)
-most Banked Rupees (200)
-least Total Solve Time (200)
-least Total Boss Time (200)
-least Swamp Skulltula Solve (300)
-least Great Bay Skultula Solve (300)
-least Majora Battle Time w/o using the Fierce Deity's Mask (400)

Other Things Zelda You Might Like:

LaZodiac Plays - Skyward Sword (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?401381-Zodi-Plays-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword)
The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?250680-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Thread-of-Awesome)

Title Artwork:
Used with Permission from Anthea West.
Link: http://dustbunny-studios.com

Background Music:
http://derekaudette.ottawaarts.com/music.php
www.pacdv.com/sounds/
www.bensound.com

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-07, 03:03 PM
Reserved for Later content.

Antonok
2015-06-07, 03:08 PM
One suggestion is I'd say give bonus points for beating Majora without the Deity mask, and possibly even a deduction for using it since it straight up trivializes the entire fight, and can kind of cheese the entire beat first bonus since it can kill him in like 30 seconds.

Edit: Also the code for the first episode is unfinished.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-07, 03:24 PM
One suggestion is I'd say give bonus points for beating Majora without the Deity mask, and possibly even a deduction for using it since it straight up trivializes the entire fight, and can kind of cheese the entire beat first bonus since it can kill him in like 30 seconds.

Edit: Also the code for the first episode is unfinished.

Actually, we both agreed not to use the Fierce Deity's Mask, but we have to get it.

And I'll fix the Link, thank you!

LaZodiac
2015-06-07, 04:40 PM
Woo, more Zelda based things. If this was the 3DS version Wind would be in the lead because the Deku Amusement Park is a Bomber's Notebook thing. I forget if it is in the N64 version as well.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-07, 04:49 PM
Woo, more Zelda based things. If this was the 3DS version Wind would be in the lead because the Deku Amusement Park is a Bomber's Notebook thing. I forget if it is in the N64 version as well.

I'm almost certain it isn't, but we'll get into why later on. Suffice it to say, Wind is certainly on an interesting strategy, and we'll see how effective things are in the long run. :smallcool: Welcome to the thread!

Edit: and either way, he's definately in the lead at the moment!

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-08, 01:16 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 1 - You've Met With A Terrible Fate, Haven't You? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1mL_CuMzcU)

We start out this episode with the first long cutscene of the game, so we take this time to get it all out on the table for you guys. I get a slight lead right off the bat by mashing the "A" button in the talking sections, and then get a bigger lead, at least gameplay wise, by not messing with landscaping. We state what we have to get in the minimum to qualify in completing the game, and go over a little bit of how we came up with the idea for the channel.

To elaborate a little more, for about 10 years I've been trying to find someone to competitively play Zelda games against without exploits or glitches (like the speedrunners do), and for a long time I wasn't able to find a challenge. I'd tried with a few people, racing in Ocarina of Time, but they all quit before too long, as I was pretty far ahead of them. Eventually, I found MajesticWind, and we decided to do this. Instead of starting with Ocarina of Time, we decided it might be a neat dynamic to try a game like Majora's Mask, because of the huge amount of side questing involved created a variety of strategies. And thus the channel was born. Wind and I discussed what points each thing should be in advance, and from there we started, thinking up strategies without any way to check to see how they held up to one another, since we couldn't see each other's game footage until we both were done.

Since we recorded separately, Wind finished first because he had more time to actively play than I did, so don't let it be a tell that him completeing recording first means he finished the game faster, or what not. We speak on the pressure of playing, because we didn't know how the other was doing, and that pressure alone has some unpredictable influence on our gameplay! That combined with both not having played the game in some time left us in a fresh slate for racing, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

After some pronounciation debate, we meet the creepy mask salesman, and start the race off for real. It seems like we both have similar strategies at first, but after the Great Fairy, we diverge into different plans. Wind farms for rupees to get the Adults Wallet before me, while I try and get through the entire three day cycle as fast as possible to get to the actual game before him.

The Bomber Kids gave me an especially hard time, while the Deku Playground gave Wind a bit of a distraction. Mostly, he focused on building up his rupee base.

"You're still farming?! Dude, the world's ending!"

On the final day of my cycle, I try and shortcut farm rupees, but all in all, Wind has beaten me to the Adult's Wallet and gained the lead! After a cutscene Wind can do nothing about involving an old woman being mugged, I close the gap pretty quickly with a quick heartpiece and ocarina combo, but ultimately Wind clinches this episode for top score, and we end with me just having finished the first cycle, and Majestic starting some tougher challenges in the Deku Playground.

On a technical aspect, if you thought anything could be improved upon on the video, let me know! I'd love to hear some feedback to make this the best it could be!

Episode 1 Point Breakdown -

TheWombatOfDoom
Tingle Clocktown Map - 60
Clock Tower HP - 50
Ocarina of Time - 100
+1 Cycle

Total = 210

MajesticWind
Tingle Clocktown Map - 30
Adults Wallet - 200

Total = 230

LaZodiac
2015-06-08, 02:02 PM
...it just occurs to me that my comment comes before the video being posted. Oops!

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-08, 03:44 PM
...it just occurs to me that my comment comes before the video being posted. Oops!

It's okay! You got early access!

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-12, 06:33 AM
Added what each player got to the episode 1 post. As an fyi, I'm having some serious computer issues. I'm hoping to resolve it, but it could spell a delay in posting the second episode.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-15, 06:22 AM
As an update, I spent all weekend trying to resolve the issues with my computer, but all in all nothing worked and I'm still left with the same issues. :smallsigh: I'll have to take it to a computer store to let them have a look at it. :smallannoyed:

LaZodiac
2015-06-15, 08:20 AM
As an update, I spent all weekend trying to resolve the issues with my computer, but all in all nothing worked and I'm still left with the same issues. :smallsigh: I'll have to take it to a computer store to let them have a look at it. :smallannoyed:

Ooof, hope everything's alright.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-15, 08:25 AM
Ooof, hope everything's alright.

Likely something is going in the hardware. I just can't for the life of me figure out what. The dang thing just keeps freezing up when I do things, especially editing. :smallsigh: I tried reformatting, and even starting from scratch with a brand new system with nothing on it, and still got the same problems, so I know its not a error in my files. Just gotta figure out what it is, and hope it isn't an expensive fix.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-23, 02:09 PM
Good news folks...well mixed news! The bad news is, it took a bit of money to repair my computer...about $200 worth. :smallsigh:

But the Good news is that it is fixed...at least I've been assured of such. We shall see. If all works, I should have a video out in the next couple of days!

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-27, 10:48 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 2 - Deku's in the Playground (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzU9G2bLZs)

It's up! Huzzah!

TheWombatOfDoom

Deku Mask - 50
Clocktown Owl - 20
Great Fairy Mask - 150
Kafei Mask - 100
Adults Wallet - 100
Swamp Tree Heart Piece - 50
Tingle Woodfall Map - 30
Swamp Owl - 20
1st Bottle - 200
+1 Deku Guard

Total = 720
---
MajesticWind

Clock Tower Heart Piece - 25
Deku Playground Heart Piece - 50
Tingle Woodfall Map - 60
Ocarina of Time - 50
+1 Cycle
Deku Mask - 25
Clocktown Owl - 20

Total = 230

As Wind battles through the Deku Playground, I get the back story to the game from the Happy Mask Salesman. My response: "Leave me aloooone! I just wanna raaaaaaaace."

We talk strategy a bit: Wind felt since he had to sit throught the first 3 days any way, he might as well pick off some side quests at the same time. I felt that the masks were a valuble thing to get before him, so I tried getting farther so I could pick up more faster, and so far it seems to have been going my way!

We also seem to have the habbit of both of us doing stuff at the same time, or both doing nothing at the same time - via cutscenes or standing waiting for time to pass. Sorry about that...:smallbiggrin:

We also mention racing Ocarina of Time. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in watching, when we are done this race!

Finally, as I'm completing the lost woods portion of the Woodfall area, Wind finishes his first cycle!

I also get set back quite a bit by messing up on the Swamp Cruise...

Anyway, sorry again for the delay for this episode. My computer is going BACK into the shop today, but I've planned ahead in case its out by next week. Thanks for watching!

LaZodiac
2015-06-27, 11:21 AM
One thing to note. You don't have to do the Bomber's hide and seek minigame in the original either. If you know the code just enter it in, and when you leave after entering that area they'll give you the notebook for being so cool as to discover their password.

Also, interesting idea about marking times you got spotted. Nice.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-06-29, 08:05 AM
Updated my above write up on episode 2!

One thing to note. You don't have to do the Bomber's hide and seek minigame in the original either. If you know the code just enter it in, and when you leave after entering that area they'll give you the notebook for being so cool as to discover their password.

Also, interesting idea about marking times you got spotted. Nice.

The question is, does it give you the bomber entry for not doing the hide and seek again? Either way, we both forgot about that at the time of playthrough, but we both realized after we could have just skipped it. :smallbiggrin: Glad it wasn't just me in any case!

And yeah, that will be happening each dungeon approach. It should be interesting to see who wins what there. :smallsmile:

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-04, 06:18 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 3 - Swamp Slogging (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COF8w2qcD5Y&feature=youtu.be)

It's up! Huzzah!

TheWombatOfDoom

Pictograph Heart Piece - 50
Woodfall Owl - 20
Woodfall Logs Heart Piece - 50
Deku Palace Garden Heart Piece - 50
Swamp Flower/Guard - 11
Song of Awakening - 150
Woodfall Temple 1st Foot - 200
Breman Mask - 150
Sword Training Heart Piece - 25
Blast Mask - 150
Clock Town Playground Heart Piece - 25
Kamaro's Mask - 150

Total = 1020
---
MajesticWind

Great Fairy Mask - 75
Clock Town Playground Heart Piece - 50
Kafei Mask - 50
Sword Training Heart Piece - 50
Romani Ranch Owl - 20
Tingle Romani Map - 60
Swamp Tree Heart Piece - 25
Swamp Hut Roof Heart Piece - 50
Swamp Owl - 20
1st Bottle - 50
Woodfall Owl - 20

Total = 470

Wind goes through a bunch of clocktown events while I battle the swamp. Then I go through a bunch of clocktown events, while he battles the swamp! It's funny how we seem to mirror one another in strange ways...

LaZodiac
2015-07-04, 09:57 AM
I like the duality of who's going where. Though jeez Wombat, you've had some difficulty with those flowers :smallamused:

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-10, 06:41 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 4 - Into Woodfall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecXi1NR892M)

It seems that we've cleared up all of the computer problems! So expect regular updates every Fri/Sat time period! Yes, Zodiac, I had trouble approaching the temple pretty hard. :smallredface: But hopefully todays episode makes up for it! (or not...)

TheWombatOfDoom

Dancing Sister's Heart Piece - 50
Swamp Hut Roof Heart Piece - 25
Woodfall Dungeon Map - 25
Woodfall Dungeon Compass - 25
Least Swamp Flower/Guard Catches - 200

+1 Death
Woodfall Temple Solve Time - 27:50
Woodfall Temple Boss Time - 02:18

Total = 325
---
MajesticWind

Bremans's Mask - 75
Woodfall Logs Heart Piece - 25
Deku Palace Garden Heart Piece - 25
Swamp Flower/Guard Total = 18
Pictograph Heart Piece - 25
Woodfall Dungeon Map - 25
Woodfall Dungeon Compass - 25

Total = 200

After some lolly gagging, both Wind and I enter the Woodfall temple, and experience a lot more parallels. I guess that is to be expected in a race, but its funny the kinds of things that happen to both of us. We also have first blood! :smallamused:

LaZodiac
2015-07-10, 10:55 AM
I like the idea of keeping track of how long you take to beat each dungeon. Just a neat metric to keep track of.

Oh wow Wind was killing it on the stealth section. Way to go!...then he kinda fell apart, oops.

...ow, way to die Wombat. Though I do suppose you where rushing, so it makes a degree of sense. I was wondering what the Poe symbol was.

Man, you get the bow so quick in this game. Also, forgot how agonizing it is hunting for those blasted stray fairies, oh god.

I don't know what Odolwa is chanting, but I know his main chant is just him saying his name, not Dodongo :smallamused:

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-17, 07:01 AM
I like the idea of keeping track of how long you take to beat each dungeon. Just a neat metric to keep track of.

Oh wow Wind was killing it on the stealth section. Way to go!...then he kinda fell apart, oops.

...ow, way to die Wombat. Though I do suppose you where rushing, so it makes a degree of sense. I was wondering what the Poe symbol was.

Man, you get the bow so quick in this game. Also, forgot how agonizing it is hunting for those blasted stray fairies, oh god.

I don't know what Odolwa is chanting, but I know his main chant is just him saying his name, not Dodongo :smallamused:

Thanks, yeah, it certainly makes things interesting, because its a race, within a race. It also allows whoever is behind to get points despite being behind chronologically, which we wanted.

Yeah, he was doing great! And then really wasn't...

Yeaaaaaaaaaah. I was really rushing, and certainly felt the pressure of the race. Poes = death. And unfortunately, its not the last time it will be used...more on who that is, and when, in later episodes...

The fairies I didn't want to go through the trouble of digging for in the dungeon a second time, so I tried to get as many as I could before completing it. Unfortunately, that added a lot to my time...It's true! The bow is a nice thing to have early, for obvious reasons.

Oh... interesting. Didn't know that. :smallbiggrin:

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-17, 07:46 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 5 - Don't Let the Swamp Bog You Down (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCcAnSMO46E)

Wind continues on with the temple, but then suddenly realizes he's got a side quest to get back to...and promptly halts his progress to do it...and you'll see if he makes it or not. :smallbiggrin: It's nail biting. Meanwhile, I go back into the temple to get the last elusive fairy. Then after we both have beat the dungeon, more parallels apear! By the end, I end up wasting my lead almost entirely on a shooting game...causing me to panic and start beelining it to the Northern Mountains.

TheWombatOfDoom

Great Fairy Spin Attack - 200
Witch's Target Practice Heart Piece - 50
Mask of Scents - 300
Big Quiver - 75
Mountain Village Owl - 20

Total = 645
---
MajesticWind

Big Quiver - 150
Mask of Scents - 150
Woodfall Solve Time - 300
Woodfall Boss Time - 200

Woodfall Dungeon Solve Time - 26:02
Woodfall Dungeon Boss Time - 01:21

Total = 800

After some lolly gagging, both Wind and I enter the Woodfall temple, and experience a lot more parallels. I guess that is to be expected in a race, but its funny the kinds of things that happen to both of us. We also have first blood! :smallamused:[/QUOTE]

LaZodiac
2015-07-17, 11:18 AM
God, the powered spin attack is so useless as a first upgrade. The 3DS remake shifts that stuff around too, and makes the double magic meter first. WAY more helpful. If I recall, at least.

Wind IS doing pretty well at the octorok shooting. It's a pretty rough minigame...though not as rough as the swamp one. That'll be fun to see.

Oh no Wind got caught on fire. Poor Deku Wind. He redeems himself with that sick jumping skill though, holy crap. I usually use the way Wombat did it to get into that bit in the temple.

Whoa, Wind destroyed that boss. I always had trouble with that boss, so it's cool to see someone crush it so easily. Also I'm surprised you (wombat) did the Butler race without the bunny hood.

...Hell I'm surprised none of you went STRAIGHT for getting the Bunny Hood as soon as possible, since this is a race.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-17, 11:42 AM
God, the powered spin attack is so useless as a first upgrade. The 3DS remake shifts that stuff around too, and makes the double magic meter first. WAY more helpful. If I recall, at least.

Wind IS doing pretty well at the octorok shooting. It's a pretty rough minigame...though not as rough as the swamp one. That'll be fun to see.

Oh no Wind got caught on fire. Poor Deku Wind. He redeems himself with that sick jumping skill though, holy crap. I usually use the way Wombat did it to get into that bit in the temple.

Whoa, Wind destroyed that boss. I always had trouble with that boss, so it's cool to see someone crush it so easily. Also I'm surprised you (wombat) did the Butler race without the bunny hood.

...Hell I'm surprised none of you went STRAIGHT for getting the Bunny Hood as soon as possible, since this is a race.

Its actually from what I understand...SUPPOSED to be the other way around, but something in the coding of the original game got switched and that was that.

I prefer that shooting gallery to the swamp one...I saved most of my least favorite things for last.

Yeah, despite his setbacks, he did a good job kicking butt in the temple. Glad I'm not alone in my method.

He did, and it was nuts. I was like...oh man I'm not even mad. That was cool. As for the bunny hood, I generally use the deku to run it, though the bunny hood i usually get earlier. The way we are racing though, I figured getting as much done in a cycle as possible was the way to go, and that meant ordering my things a little different. For example, after woodfall, I'd generally reset my cycle, but in this I power on to the next one...

PhantomFox
2015-07-18, 02:51 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Wind's decision to to stretch out the intro day was a bad decision. It's been giving a lot of time advantage to Wombat, as he's been picking up so many points due to having so much points becoming unlocked sooner. The strategy seems to be rushing the story unlocks and then sweeping all the masks that are unlocked because of it.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-18, 07:05 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Wind's decision to to stretch out the intro day was a bad decision. It's been giving a lot of time advantage to Wombat, as he's been picking up so many points due to having so much points becoming unlocked sooner. The strategy seems to be rushing the story unlocks and then sweeping all the masks that are unlocked because of it.

Yeah, it seems to be biting him a bit in the long run. :smallfrown: But overall, if he sweeps like that again in a temple, he could be well on his way to a lead. Or if I mess up and/or stall like I did with the Shooting Gallery. :smallbiggrin:

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-23, 09:15 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 6 - Ghost Race (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKn9Xeczi2U)

Wind and I are nearly neck and neck somehow, making things interesting once more! What will happen next?!

MajesticWind

Mount. Village Owl - 20
Goron Mask - 50
Spin Attack - 100
Tingle Snowhead Map - 30

Total = 200
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Tingle Snowhead Map - 60
Lens of Truth - 175
Goron Mask - 100
Goron's Lullaby - 175
Don Garo's Mask - 150
Snowhead Owl - 20
Romani Owl - 20
Tingle Romani Map - 30
Dodongo Heart Piece - 50

Total = 780

I've still scored big this round, but are the times about to change? In the meantime, we both get one of our favorite masks - the Goron Mask.

LaZodiac
2015-07-24, 01:08 PM
Running into Tingle without the money needed to buy a map is always the saltiest thing.

I actually didn't know you could just skip ahead of Darunia. In retrospect it makes sense that you can...hell theoretically you could delay getting the Lens of Truth if you where that god at climbing invisible stuff. At least, assuming you can still interact with Darunia up there, which I'm thinking you can't unless you have the Lens.

The Goron mask is so great. And...oh Wind, cutting it close to the Kafei quest. So dangerous!

I hate how you got the old man to bring out the drums almost immediately. It always takes me so long to like...make him work correctly. I forget how it works!

Oh Wombat, always trying to beat up those Dodongos. Good luck with that :smallamused:

Seerow
2015-07-25, 10:31 AM
I just sat down to watch this during my free time yesterday. Highly entertaining, subscribed for the future.

I do feel sorry for Majestic Wind, because really if you had sat through the first cycle like he did, he probably would be ahead, or at least neck in neck with you... as it is even with that 30+ minute loss of time in the beginning, he's catching up with you storywise, which is impressive. I feel like he put too much personal emphasis on getting heart pieces, while the big points come from masks and heart pieces were relatively low point value. I hope he does catch up though, because the race will get boring if it's just constantly Wombat being ahead by 50%+ throughout the game.

That said I am loving the commentary from the both of you as you watch your runs side-by-side. It's a pretty good format and helps contextualize what's going on for those of us who haven't played this game since it came out nearly 20 years ago (It's likely I'm the only one in that category watching a video like this... but I appreciate it nonetheless!).

Also when this is done, I would be interested in seeing more Zelda (or other game) races.

PhantomFox
2015-07-25, 03:50 PM
Not sure what other games would work well with this kinda format.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-26, 06:38 AM
I just sat down to watch this during my free time yesterday. Highly entertaining, subscribed for the future.

I do feel sorry for Majestic Wind, because really if you had sat through the first cycle like he did, he probably would be ahead, or at least neck in neck with you... as it is even with that 30+ minute loss of time in the beginning, he's catching up with you storywise, which is impressive. I feel like he put too much personal emphasis on getting heart pieces, while the big points come from masks and heart pieces were relatively low point value. I hope he does catch up though, because the race will get boring if it's just constantly Wombat being ahead by 50%+ throughout the game.

That said I am loving the commentary from the both of you as you watch your runs side-by-side. It's a pretty good format and helps contextualize what's going on for those of us who haven't played this game since it came out nearly 20 years ago (It's likely I'm the only one in that category watching a video like this... but I appreciate it nonetheless!).

Also when this is done, I would be interested in seeing more Zelda (or other game) races.

Glad to hear we have another fan of our ulimately, small niche of gaming, (:smallbiggrin:) so I'm glad its something you enjoy. Yeah, if he had picked up the pace at the beginning, I'm not sure where we'd both be at. It certainly would have made the last couple episodes more thrilling, but we chose the paths we chose for reasons, and they work for or against us each way.

Luckily, from what I hear, most love the commentary, and thats excellent, because it was the thing I was most worried about. We plan to have special guests every so often, I'm thinking episode 10 for the first one, so hopefully you'll still like it then! :smallsmile:

We plan on doing more, so glad you're hoping for it, it really makes me excited to do more...but I'll get into that more below...

Not sure what other games would work well with this kinda format.

We plan on doing more Zelda games, and maybe other games, but the format will likely be changed up some depending on the game. The point system works for Majora's Mask, because its non-linear and has lots of side quests. For a more linear game, such as Ocarina of Time, we might instead race in sections, to stay neck and neck the whole time, and each section is worth points. So like, race to the Deku tree, or Race a temple. Or more things like that.

Really, we're looking for ideas from you guys too. We like doing this race, and plan to do more. Maybe change it up and have other people playing races on the channel...but the question is, what other ideas do you folks have for playing games? Would you be interested i lets plays? Would you like to see things other than zelda?

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-31, 08:02 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 7 - Snow Fall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGE7XGjnI1c)

With Snowhead on the horizon, and both Wind and Wombat neck and neck, who will get to the temple first?

MajesticWind

Don Garo Mask - 75
Snowhead Owl - 20
Snowhead First Foot - 200
Snowhead Dungeon Map - 50
Snowhead Dungeon Compass - 50

Goron Roll offs - None
Snowhead Rolloffs - 200

Total = 595
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Peahat Heart Piece - 50
Bunny Hood - 50
Snowhead Dungeon Map - 50
Snowhead Dungeon Compass - 50

Goron Roll offs - None
Snowhead Rolls - 200

Total = 400

Wind once again begins to close the gap in our point difference, and passes me in game plot advancement! It seems the strategy I had been taking in the past of advance a bit, get a bit, is taking its toll, especially when I can't decide what I want to do. I basically waste my lead going to the Swamp Skullata House, and then immediately decide when I get there that I don't want to do that, and warp back to Snowhead. What a waste. It all goes to show, in a race, being decisive is the way to go. I hope I don't make a mistake like that again (and at the same time do, so that its back to being intensely close!).

So with Wind now with first foot, and me flummoxing around in the dungeon, will this be the break that Wind needed? Find out next time!

Seerow
2015-07-31, 11:49 AM
That damn room. You know the room. Everyone who's played the game knows the room. That room singlehandedly killed my first playthrough. It wasn't until years later with a picture walkthrough handy for that room specifically that I ever beat majora's mask.

Seriously, I spent multiple cycles stuck on this dungeon because of a combination of that room and not knowing the song of reverse time (I may also have not known about teleporting via statues. I seem to remember wasting an entire day every cycle just getting to the damn dungeon in the first place). But yeah I never figured out that room. Even sitting here and watching you guys solve it I have no idea what's actually going on beyond "pound some pillars and hope for the best". It's just a frustrating place all around.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-07-31, 12:17 PM
That damn room. You know the room. Everyone who's played the game knows the room. That room singlehandedly killed my first playthrough. It wasn't until years later with a picture walkthrough handy for that room specifically that I ever beat majora's mask.

Seriously, I spent multiple cycles stuck on this dungeon because of a combination of that room and not knowing the song of reverse time (I may also have not known about teleporting via statues. I seem to remember wasting an entire day every cycle just getting to the damn dungeon in the first place). But yeah I never figured out that room. Even sitting here and watching you guys solve it I have no idea what's actually going on beyond "pound some pillars and hope for the best". It's just a frustrating place all around.

Yeah, that's a hard room. And as you can see, even I have trouble with it and I've played the game a ton of times (though it has been awhile).

Woah. You must have not been interested in dialogue, then. I can see missing the song of slowing time, (and double time) unless you talk to the scarecrow. But the song of soaring is literally something you can't skip. Though its introduced by the owl...so...maybe you were just like: bleh get away with your walls of text! Get to a forum or something and stop monologuing in a video game. I wanna kill stuuuuff.

Anyway, I like puzzles, but that...would probably be on a top ten hardest zelda puzzles list if I made one. :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2015-07-31, 05:08 PM

It wasn't until you mentioned "pound the pillars" that I even remembered what you meant. I'm still not 100% sure, but I'm fairly sure that's just a really, really tight timing challenge, which I'm actually pretty good at. Will watch later gotta do stuff.

LaZodiac
2015-08-02, 10:13 AM
Okay now to actually watch this thing.

My favorite non transforming match is probably the Bunny Hood, but I feel that's really lame an answer since it's so genuinely useful and great, of course it's my favorite. My favorite non utility mask is the Keaton Mask though. My favorite race is and always will be the Zora.

It's interesting to see how close the race actually is. Wombat's doing side stuff now, and I think getting that Bunny Hood will help him in the long run, but Wind is going through stuff that's both time consuming (feeding the rock sirloin to that dude) and the actual plot based stuff.

A thing I'm curious about is...with only the final day remaining, will Wombat even have enough time to beat Snowhead, or will he have to restart in the middle of it? That'd be disastrous! Though it seems to be a non issue since Wombat makes a clutch anti-decision and goes to the Skulltula Swamp House. Hmm...given Wombat's lead in points I wonder how close this actually is, but Wind's progress in the dungeon is undeniable.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-08-07, 05:10 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 8 - Avalanche (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngXfq2ahmY)

The battle of Snowhead becomes a little one sided...

MajesticWind

Snowhead Dungeon Solve - 43:31
Snowhead Boss Solve - 4:47

Total = 0
---

TheWombatOfDoom

None

Total = 0

Ugh, and you folks thought I did bad last time. Its frustrating watching myself mess up that much...and knowing full well what I'm doing wrong. The pressures of this race take its toll yet again, and it might just cause a huge upset next time. Hope you guys enjoyed watching me suffer! :smallsmile:

Another rare occurance - no points were scored in the making of this episode! Not sure if that will ever happen again, but I suppose we will see!

LaZodiac
2015-08-07, 02:21 PM
Ah, the pressure of racing. I wonder how well you guys will be at the end of it all.

Oh wow Wombat that Wizrobe fight is...concerning. I'd personally recommend sitting in the exact middle, but to each their own when it comes to strategy.

Those invisible steps are always a massive pain. You can see why Majora's Mask is considered a sort of "Masters Version" of Ocarina of Time, it NEVER did stuff like that.

Man that's a good idea you came up with. An adventure game like this where you can see the "ghost" of the person you're racing against. That's cool. Dark Souls and it's family of games kinda have something like that, but it's only brief figments.

The way Wind gets that fairy is the only way to get that fairy as far as I know. We'll see of Wombat shows off a fancy way of getting it, but I've searched basically everywhere and can't find a faster method.

Blast Mask+Holding Up Your Shield is actually a really good strategy in my opinion. Not for any REAL, actual combat challenge, but because it's useful when you just need to blow something up.

I like how it seems Wind's shortcutting cost him some time. Sometimes you've gotta be careful! Though Wombat's still slowed down compared to him. Also those are Dinolfos, not Lizalfos.

GOATBOSS is best boss.

...oh Wombat, you're havin' a bad time with this dungeon. Wow.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-08-13, 09:32 PM
Oh wow Wombat that Wizrobe fight is...concerning. I'd personally recommend sitting in the exact middle, but to each their own when it comes to strategy.

Man that's a good idea you came up with. An adventure game like this where you can see the "ghost" of the person you're racing against. That's cool. Dark Souls and it's family of games kinda have something like that, but it's only brief figments.

The way Wind gets that fairy is the only way to get that fairy as far as I know. We'll see of Wombat shows off a fancy way of getting it, but I've searched basically everywhere and can't find a faster method.

Blast Mask+Holding Up Your Shield is actually a really good strategy in my opinion. Not for any REAL, actual combat challenge, but because it's useful when you just need to blow something up.

I like how it seems Wind's shortcutting cost him some time. Sometimes you've gotta be careful! Though Wombat's still slowed down compared to him. Also those are Dinolfos, not Lizalfos.

GOATBOSS is best boss.

...oh Wombat, you're havin' a bad time with this dungeon. Wow.

Yeah, he trounced me ppretty good. Not the last mini boss to do so, either. :smallsigh:

I've got a fast method, and you'll be seeing it next episode.

Yeah, gotta love the blast mask. It's my favorite for a reason. Ah, Dinalfos, that's right. I thought those were only in Twilight.

I love Goht.

Yeah, just you wait....it gets even worse...

SPEAKING OF!

Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 9 - Windfall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-g1EnH2uwc)

The journey of Snowhead meets its conclusion....or does it?

MajesticWind

Double Magic Bar - 200
Keaton Mask - 300
Bunny Hood - 25
Snowhead Solve Time - 350
Snowhead Boss Time - 250
Postman's Hat - 300
Postbox Heart Piece - 50
Mountain Deed Heart Piece - 50
Toilet Hand Heart Piece - 25
Kamaro's Mask - 75
Dodongo Heart Piece - 25

+ 1 Fairy Death
End of Cycle 2

Total = 1650
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Double Magic Bar - 100
Toilet Hand Heart Piece - 50

End of Cycle 2
Snowhead Dungeon Solve - 54:07
Snowhead Boss Solve - 5:22

Total = 150

I'd say more, but I'll let you guys talk about this one...its a pretty eventful episode.

LaZodiac
2015-08-15, 01:26 AM
Keaton mask is best mask, wear it all the time forever until you have to give it up because life isn't fair sometimes.

Oh wait right this is Majora's Mask you get it forever yay!

...Wombat you better speed run the hell out of that goat because you have less time remaining IN THE CYCLE then Wind did beating him. You're in a vast amount of danger of completely crippling your win for this dungeon. Oh wait right in game seconds aren't real life seconds and...Wombat. Wombat no. What are you doing? Oh god. Man...that was close. If you had it so that that time stops right as the boss death cutscene starts (which you should of done) you'd of still lost, but it would of been REALLY close. This time it's just kind of close. It's the difference between neck and neck and horse lengths.

Okay, Bunny Hood jump to get that last fairy is PRETTY clutch as hell. You would not of gotten it with the regular method. Impressive.

Man...this video went kinda poorly for you Wombat. You managed to pull a head a little though, so good job.

I'm shocked none of you got the toilet heart piece on the very first night of the game, or thereabouts. You CAN do that, you know.

They mention the gender of the Goron Child and he is a boy.

huttj509
2015-08-15, 04:39 AM
Good episode. Fun to see the catchup.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-08-15, 09:02 AM
Keaton mask is best mask, wear it all the time forever until you have to give it up because life isn't fair sometimes.

Oh wait right this is Majora's Mask you get it forever yay!

...Wombat you better speed run the hell out of that goat because you have less time remaining IN THE CYCLE then Wind did beating him. You're in a vast amount of danger of completely crippling your win for this dungeon. Oh wait right in game seconds aren't real life seconds and...Wombat. Wombat no. What are you doing? Oh god. Man...that was close. If you had it so that that time stops right as the boss death cutscene starts (which you should of done) you'd of still lost, but it would of been REALLY close. This time it's just kind of close. It's the difference between neck and neck and horse lengths.

Okay, Bunny Hood jump to get that last fairy is PRETTY clutch as hell. You would not of gotten it with the regular method. Impressive.

Man...this video went kinda poorly for you Wombat. You managed to pull a head a little though, so good job.

I'm shocked none of you got the toilet heart piece on the very first night of the game, or thereabouts. You CAN do that, you know.

They mention the gender of the Goron Child and he is a boy.

Keaton mask is pretty cool, not gonna lie. And I love the trivia questions. No wonder Kafei wears it constantly.

Yeah, that was an intense temple.... But at least I still had enough time to bank some rupees and get that last fairy. Speaking of, yeah, Buny Hood is required to do it in style, but be careful. I think they've actually modified that area in the 3D game that its not possible anymore. I'm not sure though. It actually is in normal seconds, I just had time slowed so that it was half the time it normally would be. So I had double that amount of time in the end. Still seeing numbers like that do things to your nerves.

Yeah, things didn't go great, no, but I am back to being ahead in progress, so maybe that will help balance things back a bit?

The reason for the toilet heart piece not gotten the first night is because we'd have to do it again at some point for the Bombers notebook. Still it would have been good for point snagging so I'm not sure why...:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, close races are fun to watch. :smallsmile: And welcome!

LaZodiac
2015-08-15, 10:33 AM

I feel like, even if it turns out this race was decidedly early on due to some small thing we don't realize, it FEELS close, and will probably keep that feeling of closeness throughout.

Seerow
2015-08-15, 09:59 PM
Glad to see Majestic catching up. Now I can root for Wombat without feeling bad :(

I'm confused though, what was the point of going back and fighting the temple boss a second time? Is that boss being dead required to unlock the big keg?

Also the way both of you go out of your way to find all of the fairies before finishing the dungeon makes no sense to me. In a normal runthrough, or even a pure speed run, that strategy would make sense. But with the way you guys chose to handle dungeon completion time points, it seems so much more efficient to beeline through to the end and get to the boss to stop that timer, then go back and get the fairies afterwards. For both players it seems like it would save a ton of dungeon solve time. 10 minutes of hunting down fairies can make or break you in a way that spending 4-5 minutes of post-solve time to retraverse the dungeon hunting for fairies really can't.

huttj509
2015-08-16, 12:07 AM
Glad to see Majestic catching up. Now I can root for Wombat without feeling bad :(

I'm confused though, what was the point of going back and fighting the temple boss a second time? Is that boss being dead required to unlock the big keg?

There's a number of things that require spring to have returned to the Goron valley. The keg is one of them. When the cycle is reset, Goht needs to be rekilled for spring to return.

LaZodiac
2015-08-16, 12:26 AM

Also the way both of you go out of your way to find all of the fairies before finishing the dungeon makes no sense to me. In a normal runthrough, or even a pure speed run, that strategy would make sense. But with the way you guys chose to handle dungeon completion time points, it seems so much more efficient to beeline through to the end and get to the boss to stop that timer, then go back and get the fairies afterwards. For both players it seems like it would save a ton of dungeon solve time. 10 minutes of hunting down fairies can make or break you in a way that spending 4-5 minutes of post-solve time to retraverse the dungeon hunting for fairies really can't.

Hutt already explained it above, but basically there are certain events that can only trigger in a post boss world. It's actually really neat.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-08-22, 07:27 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 10 - Time is Rolling On (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTkJB8-xb4)

Wind and Wombat move on from Snowhead, but not before inviting a special guest to celebrate their tenth episode!

MajesticWind

Peahat Heart Piece - 25
Keaton Heart Piece - 50

Total = 75
---

TheWombatOfDoom

2nd Bottle - 100
Epona's Song - 100
Stone Mask - 50
Zora Mask - 150
Great Bay Owl - 20
Tingle Great Bay Map - 60
Pirate Cage Heart Piece - 50

Total = 530

Let us know what you think of having a guest on the show, and how you liked this one in particular. Otherwise, since it's episode 10, what are your thoughts on the series thus far? Hope you folks enjoyed the episode!

huttj509
2015-08-22, 12:44 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 10 - Time is Rolling On (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTkJB8-xb4)

Wind and Wombat move on from Snowhead, but not before inviting a special guest to celebrate their tenth episode!

MajesticWind

Peahat Heart Piece - 25
Keaton Heart Piece - 50

Total = 75
---

TheWombatOfDoom

2nd Bottle - 100
Epona's Song - 100
Stone Mask - 50
Zora Mask - 150
Great Bay Owl - 20
Tingle Great Bay Map - 60
Pirate Cage Heart Piece - 50

Total = 530

Let us know what you think of having a guest on the show, and how you liked this one in particular. Otherwise, since it's episode 10, what are your thoughts on the series thus far? Hope you folks enjoyed the episode!

Man Wombat, I thought for sure you had messed up that Goron race. Then you reached the finish line and everyone was behind you when I thought they were in front.

Caught myself thinking "Aha, Majestic's gonna use the arrow trick on Goht now that he saw Wombat last...time...oh wait..."

As a lefty, GameCube Twilight Princess is best Twilight Princess. None of this silly Mirror Link changing my "sinister" brethren nonsense.

The Legend of Princess Not Appearing in This Game.

The bank does make sense, because she like writes on your wrist or something, and then chechs that to keep track of your account when you make deposits or withdrawals. I think that was mentioned when you first talk to her...

LaZodiac
2015-08-22, 08:33 PM
I like the guest, though don't do it all the time. Also, oops good job Wind.

Oh man, Wombat is in Pirate Town. Good luck! Though it seems you're a little...confused considering you left already:smallamused:.

Good episode. Shame about messing up that sword upgrading there Wind.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-08-28, 05:23 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 11 - Ocean's Eleven (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W7OLatjv8I)

Majestic finally enters the Great Bay and becomes a Zora, while Wombat works on snagging eggs, racing beavers, and slaying the undead.

MajesticWind

Epona's Song - 50
Zora Mask -75
Goron Lake Chest Heart Piece - 50
2nd Bottle - 50
Dancing Sisters Heart Piece - 25
Postman Timer Heart Piece - 50
Stone Mask - 25

Total = 325
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Hookshot - 200
Like Like Heart Piece - 50
3rd Bottle - 150
Beaver Race Heart Piece - 50

Total = 450

Back to the normal video, but now a new title page!

LaZodiac
2015-08-28, 06:24 PM
Forgot to mention it last time by Zora's are my favorite Zelda race so hell yeah. Fun to see more Zora stuff. This part of the game is pretty fun and yet also kind of awful depending on how prepared you are for it!

Wombat's saying he's best at the Great Bay Temple, but I guess we'll see. In the meanwhile, BEES!

The aliens are actually related to a certain cryptid/mythological creature, known as the Flatwoods Monster. It's pretty cool in general, but is SUPER popular in Japan.

Oops, gotta be careful with Goron rolls!

Hahaha, Wind has no sword, Wombat has no shield. Between the two of them they're exactly one Link.

The beaver race is hell. It's easier in the 3DS version since you don't super speed swim, but they don't remove the thing that makes it super hard. That being, the rings are physical objects in the world! No other ring based race I've ever seen has had that, ever.

Beaver and Goron races, so many races. RACES FOR DAYS! Races within a race itself!

Only the red potion would work.

Naw as far as I know the fences are exactly the same. But easier to jump over.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-09-04, 06:20 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 12 - Sword Today, Gone Tomorrow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnfv3Ey93o)

Wombat encounters aliens and continues fighting pirates, Wind hunts for heart pieces, and collects his third bottle. Will either be able to do much now that they are both unarmed?

MajesticWind

Hole near Great Bay Heart Piece - 50
4 Stones of Truth Heart Piece - 50
3rd Bottle - 75
Garo's Mask - 150

Total = 325
---

TheWombatOfDoom

4th Bottle - 200
Goron Lake Chest Heart Piece - 25
Seahorse Heart Piece - 50

Pirate Guard +1

Total = 275

Forgot to mention it last time by Zora's are my favorite Zelda race so hell yeah. Fun to see more Zora stuff. This part of the game is pretty fun and yet also kind of awful depending on how prepared you are for it!

Wombat's saying he's best at the Great Bay Temple, but I guess we'll see. In the meanwhile, BEES!

The aliens are actually related to a certain cryptid/mythological creature, known as the Flatwoods Monster. It's pretty cool in general, but is SUPER popular in Japan.

Oops, gotta be careful with Goron rolls!

Hahaha, Wind has no sword, Wombat has no shield. Between the two of them they're exactly one Link.

The beaver race is hell. It's easier in the 3DS version since you don't super speed swim, but they don't remove the thing that makes it super hard. That being, the rings are physical objects in the world! No other ring based race I've ever seen has had that, ever.

Beaver and Goron races, so many races. RACES FOR DAYS! Races within a race itself!

Naw as far as I know the fences are exactly the same. But easier to jump over.

Zora are my favorite as well! You're right, I don't think I can remember any other Zelda based race that has physical rings you can slam into...

I suppose we will see on the temple...I anticipate rough waters ahead.

Didn't know that about the aliens. I like the explaination that the aliens are actually from the moon in the 3ds version.

I should have named that episode - Race-caption.

Also, no they didn't change the fence and I am disappoint.

LaZodiac
2015-09-04, 12:03 PM
Oh man, alien time for Wombat. Maybe it's just me but I've always found this minigame really easy. But then the 3DS version has a map that shows enemy locations so it's pretty easy to make your rounds to remove the aliens.

I...don't remember doing that little side quest involving making all those truth stones the same colour. Do you get a heart piece for that, because I'm almost positive I've 100% cleared Majora's Mask, but I'm completely blanking on that in particular.

Fun fact: Sakon is officially dead. Since you used your bomb, he is DEAD dead and does not show up for the rest of that run. You literally killed that man. For no reward! Poor Majestic Wind.

Oh...oh Wombat, you forgot your magic meter. Oops! At least you've got the seahorse first. Also if I RECALL the milk should restore your magic, but I might be thinking of Grandma's Soup from Wind Waker.

Huh, you DO get a heart piece from those Truth Stones. Maybe I did forget to do it? But then...I have literally every other heart piece and have full life? Weird.

I've found the alien fight MUCH easier on Epona. Maybe it's just me but it feels impossible to do otherwise. Again this might be bias coming from the 3DS version though.

Oh Wombat, gotta be more careful jumping into pirate town.

...man **** you Wind it took me like 10 tries to beat the Gormon Race and you beat it in like one. How rude. The Garo's Mask looks different in the 3DS version, looking like a Master Garo instead of just a grunt one.

Oops, Wind's out of recording space. That'll cost him some time theoretically.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-09-11, 07:59 AM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 13 - Scrambled Eggs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-UNLS7NccM)

Lucky number 13! Wombat finishes the Zora Egg quest, and then tries to once again get the Captains Hat. Wind makes progress in getting his seven eggs himself. Of course, not without having some issues with some pirates.

MajesticWind

Pirate Cage Heart Piece - 25
Seahorse Heart Piece - 25

Pirate Guard Catches: +2

Total = 50
---

TheWombatOfDoom

New Wave Bosa - 200
Great Bay First Foot - 200
Romani Mask - 150

Total = 550

Oh man, alien time for Wombat. Maybe it's just me but I've always found this minigame really easy. But then the 3DS version has a map that shows enemy locations so it's pretty easy to make your rounds to remove the aliens.

I...don't remember doing that little side quest involving making all those truth stones the same colour. Do you get a heart piece for that, because I'm almost positive I've 100% cleared Majora's Mask, but I'm completely blanking on that in particular.

Fun fact: Sakon is officially dead. Since you used your bomb, he is DEAD dead and does not show up for the rest of that run. You literally killed that man. For no reward! Poor Majestic Wind.

Oh...oh Wombat, you forgot your magic meter. Oops! At least you've got the seahorse first. Also if I RECALL the milk should restore your magic, but I might be thinking of Grandma's Soup from Wind Waker.

Huh, you DO get a heart piece from those Truth Stones. Maybe I did forget to do it? But then...I have literally every other heart piece and have full life? Weird.

I've found the alien fight MUCH easier on Epona. Maybe it's just me but it feels impossible to do otherwise. Again this might be bias coming from the 3DS version though.

Oh Wombat, gotta be more careful jumping into pirate town.

...man **** you Wind it took me like 10 tries to beat the Gormon Race and you beat it in like one. How rude. The Garo's Mask looks different in the 3DS version, looking like a Master Garo instead of just a grunt one.

Oops, Wind's out of recording space. That'll cost him some time theoretically.

Eh, the Aliens were on the map in both. I've never done it on epona ever...don't judge me.

Yeah the stones of truth are in both. Not sure why they weren't memorable for you. Yeah, completely forgot about going for a swim and being waylaid by pirates. D'oh...

Wind is officially a murderer. Kaboom.

Milk fills your magic meter when its the special milk...but I'm not sure about the regular. If it does, I have to facepalm. Grandma's Soup...I forgot about that...oh man I wanna play wind waker now. Can't wait to get the HD version.

The Garo's mask is different, yes. I mention it in another episode, don't worry. :smallwink:

For recording space, he had kept playing, so he estimated the time it took for him to get from one place to the other and put a clip to simulate that time. Poor guy... :smallfrown:

huttj509
2015-09-11, 08:56 AM
How do you do the quick change mask thing (skipping the "scream" scene every time), and does it work in the 3ds version?

LaZodiac
2015-09-11, 09:45 AM
How do you do the quick change mask thing (skipping the "scream" scene every time), and does it work in the 3ds version?

It's been awhile since I played by you just press the button again and it skips the animation, and it works on both.

EDIT: also will respond to today's video later, sorry!

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-09-20, 05:51 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 14 - Got Milk? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VMhD5B7xc)

MajesticWind

Romani Mask - 75
Clock Town Shooting Gallery Heart Piece - 50
Treasure Race Heart Piece - 50
Snowhead Scarecrow Heart Piece - 50

Total = 225
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Circus Leader's Mask - 150
Least Pirate Guards - 200
Captain's Hat - 300

Total =650

LaZodiac
2015-10-02, 02:24 AM
Forgot to watch because I'm bad! Watching now!

Episode 13

I heard a cat! Someone has a cat!

Zora laying eggs is actually pretty interesting. Them being musical notes is a funny coincidence. Also wow holy **** you don't like New Wave Bossa Nova? I hope you just meant in playing and not in listening!

Poor Wind, having some close calls and rough situations. You can do it though!

If you somehow beat the Water Temple without using your sword, AT ALL...I'm going to be impressed. I wonder if you will, though...

Wind seems like he'd be good at Pokemon Snap. But then with his professionally learned skilled he'd actually be bad since the photos Oak wants are technically bad.

What "first foot trick" was it you're doing again? I don't remember that.

...oh wow Wombat, you're having some problems starting off with this dungeon. Oh dear. And not trying to tackle it swordless, I see.

I'll be honest Wombat, although I am sort of rooting for Wind more then you (I like a come from behind win =p) I feel for you on that Kafei's quest snag. Nothing sucks more then screwing up this quest.

Ow! Wind with the deep cut on the "You couldn't even do it with the sword" line. Harsh. Also true. Man Wombat, you're having trouble with this quite a lot. Oh wow I regret not watching this already hoo boy.

You know, Wind may of sacrificed points to escape the pirate stronghold, but I do think he saved some time. I feel like the Song of Soaring could of been better used in this situation though. Especially because he got caught twice, ouch. Poor guy.

Hahaha that Stalchild owned your bones, Wombat. Ultimate Sour Works.

Huh, that's pretty cool that you can skip the seahorse getting, if you remember the path. I kind of hate water so I'll keep that in mind in the future...

The Gormen/Circus Leader mask mask also prevents them from attacking you, and makes far more sense. If I recall, of course.

------

Episode 14

Thus begins the Skulltula house! Good luck Wombat.

I always dread doing the Skulltula houses but then basically remember everything immediately except for the ONE puzzle in the Ocean Skulltula House.

You pronounce Skulltula like Skull and Tarantula put together. So Skull-tchewla, I'm pretty sure.

Silly Wombat, in the 3DS version you don't need to use magic to swim, just fast swim. How wasteful with your lightning energy!

To be fair it is SPECIFICALLY and EXPLICITLY a milk bar. The milk is just spiked with booze.

Sooo close Wind. You can do it, arrow those Octoroks! And got it you did! Now do the Swamp hunting minigame...which you said you found easy. I mean in the 3DS version I got it perfect first try, but THIS is pretty ridiculous!

Unless I'm mistaken...the last Golden Skulltula is in that area Wombat can't go without his sword. OOPS. Also, silly Wombat, when using bugs, be sure to use them AWAY from the hole first, so you can refill your bottles. Each individual bug spawns three when released from the bottle, allowing for easy bug pro-strats. Also, keep your ears peeled, you can hear the distinct scratching of the Skulltula if there is ANY Skulltula in the room.

...man Wombat you are NOT having luck with what you're going for in this video. It's too late, game over pal! And now you're going to go get the Captain's Hat. Good luck good sir, you'll need it.

Nice headshot on that Stalchild. Shame about missing the Captain :smallamused:. Nice recovery though, but cutting it a little close. Good job though!

Now for beaver time for Wind, which we'll see next time.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-10-11, 10:08 AM
So in case you folks were curious where I disappeared to, my wife and I are on vacation in Florida. Things should be updating regularly again when we return next week! I meant to put up an away video but unfortunately I was not able to do so. Hope you guys stick around for our return!

LaZodiac
2015-10-11, 10:09 AM
I know I will, at any rate.

And if you're jonsing for some Zelda I have a threeeead.

Seerow
2015-10-11, 10:09 AM
So in case you folks were curious where I disappeared to, my wife and I are on vacation in Florida. Things should be updating regularly again when we return next week! I meant to put up an away video but unfortunately I was not able to do so. Hope you guys stick around for our return!

Hope you've been having fun. Weather out here's been beautiful for the last week or so, you picked probably the best time of year to visit.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-10-11, 03:30 PM
Hope you've been having fun. Weather out here's been beautiful for the last week or so, you picked probably the best time of year to visit.

Went to cocoa beach and then orlando, now we are in Jacksonville for the rest of the week. It's been beautiful. Gotta love autumn.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-10-17, 08:43 AM
And we're back up and running! Realized that episode 15 never got posted here, so let's start with that!

Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 15 - Grave Situation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE17jKIm0JU)

Wombat and Wind both obtain their swords, but not before suffering some more from their absence. Wind makes his temple approach, and Wombat enters the temple in earnest after completing the Skullata house in the Swamp!

MajesticWind

4th Bottle - 100
Beaver Race Heart Piece - 25
Like Like Heart Piece - 25
Gilded Sword - 150
Great Bay Owl - 20
Zora Hall Owl - 20

Total = 340
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Gilded Sword - 300
Mask of Truth - 400
Zora Hall Owl - 20
Great Bay Dungeon Map - 100
Great Bay Dungeon Compass - 100

Deaths - +2
Woodfall Skullata House - 19:28

Total = 920

Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 16 - Water, Water Everywhere... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VMhD5B7xc)

Wind finally enters the temple, and Wombat toils within it. Hope you like the Great Bay Temple, because there's gonna be a whole lot of it in this episode!

MajesticWind

Evin's Song Heart Piece - 50
Great Bay Dungeon Map - 100
Great Bay Dungeon Compass - 100

Total = 250
---

TheWombatOfDoom

No items attained.

Total = 0

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-10-25, 04:53 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 17 - But not a Drop to Drink. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VMhD5B7xc)

Wombat and Wind both complete the Great Bay Temple, but not before hitting a few setbacks. This time folks, the times are close! Will Wind catch up? Let us see...

MajesticWind

Great Bay Dungeon Solve - 400

GB Solve - 45:47
GB Boss - 3:45

Total = 400
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Strong Hearts - 200
Big Bomb Bag - 150
Great Bay Boss Time - 300

Great Bay Dungeon Solve - 52:46
Great Bay Boss - 3:11
End of Cycle 3

Total = 650

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-10-31, 04:57 PM
Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 18 - Just Deserts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgD7fucXwo)

MajesticWind

Total =
---

TheWombatOfDoom

Total =

PhantomFox
2015-10-31, 07:31 PM
Empty spoiler there. Also, ouch 2000 point lead. Wombat's running away with it a little bit.

LaZodiac
2015-11-01, 01:51 PM
I AM BAD WATCHING BACKLOG.

Episode 15

Oh Wombat, trying to fight an Iron Knuckle without your sword. So silly. I get what you're trying to do but having the mobility of Link's regular form would of helped a lot.

Hah, trying to snipe the invisible enemies without the Lens. Nice.

...huh. Never knew the Zora's kung fu skills could not actually hurt the Iron Knuckle. Thank you for showing of this bit of science.

Nice Beaver racing from Wind by the way. I like it. And now that Wombat's got his sword back he's finally back in ther race!

...you can hit that fairy with an arrow? I'll definitely keep that in mind!

I'm sure you know but the eyeball miniboss is a direct reference to Link to the Past.

------

Episode 16

Those are blowfish yes. I forget the NAME of the boss you're fighting Wombat, but it's meant to emulate the appearance of a frog in it's tadpole state. Thus the eggs it has protecting it, and it being one of the Don Gero members (I think...).

...oops. Wombaaaat, you derp XP. Also I'm pretty sure you have to be in Zora Link form to do the instrument stuff.

Oh Wombat. Interesting idea to try and speed up the ice crossing section...but seems like you've made an oops :smallamused:

Yeah, the Twilight Princess dungeon feels quite reminescent of this one. I like it.

Not much to say about this one. I think my favorite dungeon is probably the FIRST one since it's the most solid of them all, but they're all good I think.

------

Episode 17

...oops, gotta be careful with the ice arrows there Wind. Womp womp~

God you're cutting it kinda close Wombat. Getting all the stray fairies and beating the dungeon in one day is...pretty hard sounding.

Cool, Wind is occasionally prophetic! That's pretty damn cool. I gotta imagine getting that feeling of dread...and then spinning around in that circular area would suck PRETTY hard XP

Man...you've got a pretty hefty lead so far. On your third cycle though...I wonder if Wind can catch up! He beat you on the dungeon, but how will the boss go...awe, guess not. I still think counting the "get the heart piece" and the cutscene as killing the boss is a little lame. Though I don't think that would of changed this result.

------

Episode 18

...jeez Wind talk about cutting it CLOSE. And even then...too late v_v

Singular Stalchild, plural Stalchildren or Stalkids. You're a kid now, you're a skelly now.

...awe, poor Wind. That's why the 3DS version saves the way it does by the way, kiddos.

I wonder how Wind'll do at the Skulltula houses. You're doing them pretty well...brute forcing of the masks and finding the ladder nonwithstanding.

You got a bit confused there Wombat. The Garo Mask looks like the Garo grunts in the original, not like the hooded one eyed man. In the 3DS version it's changed to look like the Garo LEADER.