PDA

View Full Version : Divinity Original Sin

Starwulf
2015-06-07, 04:49 PM
So the other thread about it is long past the point where it can be bumped back up, so I figured I'd create a new one.

The last time I posted the game was Digital Download only, but yesterday while I was in a Wal-Mart that I don't usually shop at, I happened to look at the PC games shelf, and lo and behold, there it was! It was definitely a full disc version which is pretty cool. I didn't grab it though as I'm extremely short on money for the next three months(Summertime means all money goes towards doing stuff for the girls and/or summer clothes for the girls).

On the plus side it's not more expensive then the digital download, at least from what I can see, which is nice as I at first thought it was(for some reason I thought the digital version was only $25-30, but nope, it's $39.99 same as in the store). So come August or September it looks like I'll finally get to experience this game, huzzah!

So what was everyone's general opinion of the game over-all? I figure it's been long enough now that anyone who has played it has finished it and has a full impression that they can convey ^^

factotum
2015-06-08, 02:30 AM
Just to warn you, I'm pretty sure the DVD version of D:OS is still a Steam version of the game and therefore there might still be some download involved when installing it--hopefully not too large, but you never know until you try it because you don't know how many updates the game has had since the disc was pressed.

As for impressions of the game, it was extremely good. I'd certainly class it above Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, which were both good games--it's just D:OS was better. The only issue I had was the final boss fight, which was frankly just an exercise in tedium as I chipped away at the enormous health bar while being in very little danger myself.

Starwulf
2015-06-08, 03:04 AM
Just to warn you, I'm pretty sure the DVD version of D:OS is still a Steam version of the game and therefore there might still be some download involved when installing it--hopefully not too large, but you never know until you try it because you don't know how many updates the game has had since the disc was pressed.

As for impressions of the game, it was extremely good. I'd certainly class it above Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, which were both good games--it's just D:OS was better. The only issue I had was the final boss fight, which was frankly just an exercise in tedium as I chipped away at the enormous health bar while being in very little danger myself.

Yeah that's a good point, but considering I've never seen it before I"d hope that it's just recently released into Disc form and thus no to little download to worry about.

The final boss battle sounds just like the final boss battle for Torchlight. Was never close to dying but man did it take forever, something like 15 minutes iirc.

Cespenar
2015-06-08, 03:08 AM
I'd rank it definitely lower than Pillars and on par with Wasteland 2. Actually, it suffers more or less the same problems with W2. Very enjoyable battle mechanics, but sadly much less actual story content/dialogue than a Bioware/Obsidian game. So you end up fighting for 90% of the game, which gets tiring even with the initially enjoyable battle mechanics.

I'd say get it if you can find it at discount.

warty goblin
2015-06-08, 11:36 AM
I can't say I've gotten very far in Divinity: Original Sin, but I definitely like it better than Pillars of Eternity. Pillars may have non-traditional (and occasionally nonsensical) stats, but shackles this paltry innovation to a real zombie of a class system, and hideously boring activated abilities. Like all the RPG Divinity games, Original Sin leaves rigid classes in their moldering grave, and lets you do whatever the hell you want. It's got better, more interesting abilities too; like healing when standing in blood, or genuine physics-enabled telekinesis. And all of it is open from the start, which does admittedly result in something like a learning cliff; but sometimes the price of being good and interesting is requiring a bit of thought and even making the occasional mistake. Pillars is way too busy wiring up lightning rods to the corpse of 1998 to ever consider something as daring as two player characters capable of disagreeing with each other. Original Sin doesn't appear to go as far with the two-character concept as the criminally underrated Game of Thrones RPG; but it's there and still awesome.

Heh, now I want to go give Divinity: OS another try.