PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mongrelfolk Homebrew 5e race (with subraces) [peach]

eleazzaar
2015-06-07, 05:34 PM
Mongrelfolk
3.5e Conversion

Part of Eleazar’s D&D 5e Homebrew Race Compendium (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m7qG9BDQEH1pIykhmUb88f1--ghHvJZlV5QBJUtzTR4/edit#heading=h.2d8b0zota9e4)

Opinions, Gripes, Comments and Feedback Welcome!

Lore
For the official 3.5 Lore on this race, see Races of Destiny p98.

Mongrelfolk blend the blood of most of the humanoid races. While lacking most of the special traits of their various ancestors, they gain extremely hardiness.

Each mongrelfolk looks a little different from the next, blending in different ways the features and colors of any or all humanoids. Most consider the unharmonious combination ugly. But Mongrelfolk tend to be practical, and get by on their wits, strength and endurance, even if they can’t count on charm.

Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Age. Mongrelfolk tend to grow up fast, maturing in their middle teens. Their lifespans are unpredictable, with old age striking between one and three centuries into life.
Alignment. Mongrelfolk alignments are as diverse as their ancestry. Though often enough they are chaotic, finding little reason to like the rules of civilization.
Emulate Race. Because of their combined heritage, mongrelfolk qualify as any humanoid race for the purpose of magical detection.
Lesser Darkvision. You have good vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 30 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Tough as Nails. You have advantage on saving throws against poison and disease, and you have resistance against poison and disease damage.
Unsettling Appearance. While different humanoid races may have different ideas of attractiveness, mongrelfolk don’t fit any of them. And many find the combined, subtle resemblance to dwarf, elf, orc, human, halfling and whatever unsettling. You have disadvantage on Charisma (Performance) or (Persuasion) checks targeting most non-mongrelfolk civilized humanoids.
Versatile Background. Mongrelfolk have some of the drive and adaptability humans are known for. You gain proficiency in one Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom based skill.
Language. You can speak read, and write Common, as well as two other language of your choice.
Subrace. Mongrelfolk don’t properly have subraces, each one is a bit different depending on which bloodlines are stronger. However they can be divided into different sizes. Choose one of these sizes.

Largeish Mongrelfolk

Ability Score Increases. Your Strength score increases by 1. Your choice of Dexterity, Intelligence, or Wisdom increases by 1.
Size. Largish Mongrelfolk take after ogres, orcs, or goliath— at least in size, weighing between 250-400 pounds and ranging from 5 1/2 to 8 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Largish Mongrelfolk are quite impressive in size, though they tend to be thick and bulky, and thus not very quick on their feet. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Medium Mongrelfolk

Ability Score Increases. Your choice of two of the following ability scores increase by 1: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Wisdom.
Size. Medium Mongrelfolk might take most after any or all humanoids, weighing between 60 and 250 pounds and ranging from 4.5 to 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Small Mongrelfolk

Ability Score Increases. Your choice of two of the following ability scores increase by 1: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Wisdom.
Size. Small mongrelfolk take after halflings, gnomes, or goblins, though their features might not resemble a small race at all. They weigh between 25 and 55 pounds and stand from 2 ½ to 4 feet tall. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Small and Nimble. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.

Commentary
I've always sort of liked the mongrelfolk because they provided an answer to the question "what happens with a half-A and a half-B race have children together, until the result has blood from a bunch of humanoid races?"
In their 3.5 incarnation they are characterized by toughness (Con +4) as well as an outcast status with poor social skills, and some odd disguise abilities, and a slight roguish aptitude. The disguise/mimicry thing never made much sense to me, nor that these guys would be natural rogues.
Mechanically, I want these to occupy a space between dwarves and humans/half-elves. In other words, they have much of the toughness of the dwarves, with some of the flexibility in choosing options that humans and half-elves enjoy, as seems appropriate for the "mutts" of the D&D world.

0.00 Emulate Race
0.50 Lesser Darkvision
1.00 Tough as Nails (Adv and Resistance vs Disease and Poison)
-.50 Unsettling Appearance
0.75 Versatile Background
0.35 Common + 2 Language of choice
4.10 Base Race Total

Largeish
2.25 Ability Score Increases
-.50 Speed 25ft
0.75 Powerful Build
6.60 Total

Medium
2.50 Ability Score Increases
6.60 Total

Small
2.50 Ability Score Increases
-.50 Speed 25ft.
0.50 Small and Nimble
6.60 Total

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-08, 01:05 PM
Edit: Scratch that. Your maths check out, it's just a typo. You've got Versatile Background listed twice in the points tally.

I still think medium isn't interesting enough as a subrace.

Spelling & Grammar (sorry):

"they gain extremely hardiness"
"unharmonious" should be inharmonious
I'm not a fan of the sentences you've started with conjunctions. Maybe review it?
"targeting most non-mongrelfolk civilized humanoids" is incredibly wooly. How am I, as a DM, supposed to adjudicate that?
"Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom based"... strictly speaking, there should be hyphens in there. Up to you.

eleazzaar
2015-06-08, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the editing. Will attend to it.

I still think medium isn't interesting enough as a subrace.
The other two get a size-based disadvantage (slowness) and a size-based advantage. I don't really see what I can do for "medium". I may have made "Largish" overly attratctive compared to medium. Perhaps I should knock him down to 150% carrrying capacity instead of 200%?

"targeting most non-mongrelfolk civilized humanoids" is incredibly wooly. How am I, as a DM, supposed to adjudicate that?

Adjudicate with common sense and GM fiat.

I get were you are coming from, it is vauge-- but I don't think a all-encompassing rule would work here. If I took out the "most", it becomes an iron clad rule about how all NPCs should behave toward mongrelfolk, and that seems wrong. What about blind or near-sighted NPCs? What about horribly scarred war veterens, or mothers of children with birth defects? All of these respond like the average peasant to the ugly mongrelfolk?

I think it is better to give GMs and Players some fuzzy *rules* about how the populace will repond to feared/hated/ugly races than pure fluff with no concrete details like WotC has given us on the Drow.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-08, 03:38 PM
I think it is better to give GMs and Players some fuzzy *rules* about how the populace will repond to feared/hated/ugly races than pure fluff with no concrete details like WotC has given us on the Drow.

Fair enough. I feel the opposite - I like the pure fluff approach as per the PHB Drow and Tieflings - but it's your homebrew.