PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dealing with Incorporeal Undead

ComaVision
2015-06-07, 10:03 PM
My party is currently level 6 (Bardadin, Archivist, Cleric, Wizard, PsyWar) and we've been informed where we need to go next is full of undead. Our Cleric has lousy Charisma and I don't have much faith in his turning. I'm not concerned about corporeal undead but how should we be dealing with incorporeal undead? The best option to me seems to be preparing Legion's Magic Weapon since only the PsyWar has a +1 weapon (Dragonfire Inspiration is most of our damage) but eating the 50% miss chance seems significant.

Any tips would be appreciated! I've never played in a game against anything incorporeal yet.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-07, 10:09 PM
Against many incorporeal creatures flailing away is surprisingly effective. Undead have the indecency to pack their incorporeal touches with nasty effects, such as wis drain, strength damage, con damage (although this is easily avoided) and negative levels (and this is just from the SRD).

Quick and easy option; you have a wizard, so consider a wand of magic missile. Incorporeal undead don't have much HP so cutting them down even with magic missile's piddly damage can work. Pool your gold and get a 5th levels one (split five ways the cost should be low).

OldTrees1
2015-06-07, 10:22 PM
Why doesn't the Bardadin have a magic weapon too?

Incorporeal undead are slain at level 6 by magic weapons and damaging spells.

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-07, 10:24 PM
The spell Sheltered Vitality prevents ability damage and is decently long lasting for a buff. Preparing that a couple times would also help reduce their threat.

Frankly its a decent buff to have against regular undead anyway :smalltongue:

Also with a rod of Defiance and a Lyre of the Restful soul you can give undead -8 turn resistance. A shadow would literally implode if a level 1 cleric with 8 charisma turns a Shadow with -6 turn resistance (+2 normal -8) as it would have effectively -3 HD.

Even if your DM limits it to 1 HD minimum your cleric should be able to destroy them fairly easily with that.

JeminiZero
2015-06-07, 10:28 PM
The main problem with incorporeal undead is their nasty ability damage/ability drain. Look up the Body Ward and Soul Ward spells [Complete Champion] to protect against this. Similarly, Conjure Ice Beast [Frostburn], gives you a construct summon immune to Ability Damage/Drain.

As a Force effect, Mage Armor (and the Improved version in Spell Compendium) works against incorporeal touch attacks, so that may help as well. As do Deflection AC bonus (Shield of Faith, Halo of Sand).

Crown of the Grave (PHB2) gives +4 to a single Turn/Rebuke attempt.

denthor
2015-06-07, 10:47 PM
Wizard can prepare Magic Missile and never need to worry.

1st level spells

Magic Missile
Chill touch makes undead run away
Mage Armor castable on others and gives Armor class protection
shield self only spell.

2nd level spells

can repeat any of the firsts or
command undead
Eagles Splendor cast on Cleric gives a Chramisma boost CHA

3rd

Control Undead

Nothing with cold base damage. if ghost touch is in the game then the wizard can cast this on the Barbarian weapon and all hits go through

Cleric Spells.

1st

Protection from evil gives AC boost on people

2nd

3rd

Daylight spell may make them unable to attack or come near you

Any of the heal spells are touch for a 50/50 but do damage

If you are playing 3.5 and the cleric has the sun domain once per day any undead that are turned get destroyed out right if the turn is succsesfull

Ninja'ed on some of this

Seerow
2015-06-07, 11:00 PM
There's some cheap gloves in MIC that let you affect incorporeal undead normally. Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting or something like that. One set of those and you can chop up most incorporeals up pretty easily. Just make sure to either have a high touch AC or access to restoration to recover from the effects of any attacks they land.

Aleolus
2015-06-07, 11:15 PM
I'm going to second the wand of Magic Missle suggestion, but I will also mention that the Spell Compendium has loads of Cleric spells in it, several of which are very effective against undead.

ComaVision
2015-06-07, 11:46 PM
Why doesn't the Bardadin have a magic weapon too?

Incorporeal undead are slain at level 6 by magic weapons and damaging spells.

Mainly because I don't want to (the Bardadin my character). All my damage comes from DFI and a MW weapon gives me the same attack bonus as a +1. I'd rather spend my wealth on options and defense.

Definitely going to be purchasing some spells and chipping in for a Magic Missile wand. The suggestions are very much appreciated, Playgrounders.

Crake
2015-06-07, 11:54 PM
People also often forget that positive/negative energy does not have a 50/50 miss chance vs incorporeal undead, so the cleric should prepare some cures.

Telok
2015-06-08, 03:01 AM
Look in the DMG at the 50gp potions and oils. Magic Stone, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Mage Armor, Hide from Undead.

OldTrees1
2015-06-08, 06:19 AM
Mainly because I don't want to (the Bardadin my character). All my damage comes from DFI and a MW weapon gives me the same attack bonus as a +1. I'd rather spend my wealth on options and defense.

Definitely going to be purchasing some spells and chipping in for a Magic Missile wand. The suggestions are very much appreciated, Playgrounders.

The benefit of the +1 over masterwork is the options it opens up (incorporeal targets, DR, better weapon crystals, tax to access magical utility). However to each their own.

RoyVG
2015-06-08, 07:40 AM
A Lesser Truedeath Weapon Crystal or a Ghost Shroud both work and cost about the same but both have their problems though. The Crystal requires a +1 weapon to begin with and only works on one weapon, but deals +1d6 damage to Undead, which makes it a bit better. The Ghost Shroud is a body slot item so you technically can't wear it AND wear normal armor.

panaikhan
2015-06-08, 07:48 AM
How many party members have UMD or can use wands?
Wands of Disrupt Undead could provide a pretty cheap, easy and safe (ranged touch attack) way of dealing damage.
And the wizard should have Disrupt Undead as a cantrip anyway.

Telok
2015-06-08, 03:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, the lesser weapon crystals require a +1 weapon which is what you have while the spell Magic Weapon is in effect. Which would mean that scrolls, potions, and wands of Magic Weapon can be used instead of the 2000 gp magic weapon tax. Since not every fight will feature incorporeal undead you can spread your money around and pick up other useful stuff.

ComaVision
2015-06-08, 03:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, the lesser weapon crystals require a +1 weapon which is what you have while the spell Magic Weapon is in effect. Which would mean that scrolls, potions, and wands of Magic Weapon can be used instead of the 2000 gp magic weapon tax. Since not every fight will feature incorporeal undead you can spread your money around and pick up other useful stuff.

That's certainly our intention. At least one of our Divine casters will have some Legion's Magic Weapon prepared.

OldTrees1
2015-06-08, 03:34 PM
That's certainly our intention. At least one of our Divine casters will have some Legion's Magic Weapon prepared.

I completely forgot that spell. Hey, if you have that and you don't split the party, then you have nothing to fear from incorporeal undead.