PDA

View Full Version : Ranger cleric build. Minions!

desero clades
2015-06-08, 01:59 AM
I need advice on making this work, I'm trying to go for a lot of minions, so beast master with a giant poisonous snake, and then I want to use Spiritual weapon for another minion. Should I get a familiar with the ritual caster feat? Or should I stick to those two until I get animate dead?

Oh and what domain would you recommend for this character?

TurboGhast
2015-06-08, 03:25 PM
I would try to get ritual caster for an extra minion to have even though I could also get animate dead in a level or two, since the build is trying to get as many minions as it can, and even animate dead has limits on uses.

Yagyujubei
2015-06-08, 03:52 PM
well, nature would seem to fit with your ranger MC the best, maybe you could get your DM to let you swap one of your domain spells (dominate beast perhaps) out for conjure woodland beings instead to give you that minion goodness.

as for the find familiar, Id say it's worth it to get an owl familiar since they are amazingly useful and can be summoned through ritual at no cost, and would again be very in character for you.

If you take ranger up to level 12 you will get access to the conjure animals spell as well while still getting the benefit of divine strike from level 8 cleric.

from the looks of it, this build won't be particularly strong battle wise, but it should have good utility and flavor, and be alot of fun to play. Just be wary about having super long turns if you have all these minions. make sure you have a firm plan of what you want to do, and all your rolls ready when your turn comes up or you could slow combat down quite a bit. (I experienced this myself once when I happened to have 4 minions out at once all with different stats and I wasn't really prepared for it)

desero clades
2015-06-08, 04:10 PM
I'm not too worried about long turns, I've played a minion master in 3.5 so I've had practice lol. Nature domain might be the way to go, I forgot about it!
I'm not worried about being crazy effective in combat, just having a fun character!

What spells should I use my concentration on? I'm thinking shield of faith till I get spiritual weapon, then I don't know since undead will eat up my bonus actions

Yagyujubei
2015-06-08, 04:23 PM
I'm not too worried about long turns, I've played a minion master in 3.5 so I've had practice lol. Nature domain might be the way to go, I forgot about it!
I'm not worried about being crazy effective in combat, just having a fun character!

What spells should I use my concentration on? I'm thinking shield of faith till I get spiritual weapon, then I don't know since undead will eat up my bonus actions

spiritual weapon is whats gonna be eating up your bonus actions as well, so it's either that OR animated dead but not both. until you get access to higher level spell slots so that you can raise multiple undead at once I would stick with spiritual weapon. ranger 12/cleric 8 will get you access to 7th level spells, so you could eventually be raising quite a few zombies per casting.

for a full offense onslaught of minions, then spirit guardians would be a good flavor choice for your concentration spell. while it isnt really worded like a summon, thats what it is technically, so you could have your spirit weapon, and a bunch of spirit clerics fighting with you as well (even if you can't control them individually)

aside from that, bless is pretty much the go to best use of concentration for a cleric, or hunters mark from your ranger levels if you want some extra damage. More situational choices would be, shield of faith, Hold Person, spike growth, conjure animals(if you grab it from ranger)or woodland beings(if you convince your DM to let you add it to your domain list)