PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcerer: ideas for mid-level feats

panaikhan
2015-06-08, 07:43 AM
Hi playgrounders :)

I'm asking for help with selecting feats from L5 upwards, for my Sorcerer.
He's a Tiefling Sorcerer with the Abyssal bloodline (for the claws) and a bite attack.
Currently I have 'Armour of the Pit' (+2 Nat AC) for L1 and Weapon Finesse for L3. I have to decide my L5 feat pretty soon, and I'm looking to go Souleater at L6.
The character concept is pretty much a 'summoned help' type with a bit of a melee. I was looking at the eldritch bloodline feats to collect powers from the 'Realms Beyond' bloodline (+4AC and permanent concealment sounds neat).
I'd like to know if the summoning feats are worth it (Augment, Superior), or boon companion (for the familiar from Souleater).
I'm trying to stay away from metamagic, because of the sorcerer downside of this.

Any thoughts?

Kurald Galain
2015-06-08, 08:17 AM
Battle Cry is a great feat on a sorcerer with companions.

Steadfast Personality (cha to will saves) and Noble Scion (cha to initiative) are also nice.

Geddy2112
2015-06-08, 08:43 AM
Second Kurald

Augment summoning and superior summoning are good if you have a summon spell for every spell level you can cast. Your flanking buddies/meatshields need to live longer and the more the merrier. It does suck because it requires spell focus: conjuration and conjuration spells rarely have a save.

Toughness is not bad considering your on the frontline and a sorcerer. Even with 1/2 bab, power attack is still power attack.

Spore
2015-06-08, 09:31 AM
Unless it's a 3.5 game you get your next feat on 7 by the way. Second superior summoning. I played one at 15: Having two Infernal T-Rexes with DR7/good is great, having three is even better.

panaikhan
2015-06-08, 02:54 PM
I did consider improved natural attack. Does arcane strike work with 'natural' weapons too?

What effect (if any) would augment summoning have on swarms?

Spore
2015-06-08, 03:02 PM
I did consider improved natural attack. Does arcane strike work with 'natural' weapons too?
Yes but in a few levels your chassis is not suitable for melee combat anyway. Too few HP, too poor a BAB, too many risks involved in going into melee and suddenly needing to cast a spell pronto.

What effect (if any) would augment summoning have on swarms?

Extra HP. The Strength does nothing.

Gnaeus
2015-06-08, 03:53 PM
The summon (alignment) monster feats are also good, expanding your options and improving the summon.

panaikhan
2015-06-08, 04:51 PM
Yes but in a few levels your chassis is not suitable for melee combat anyway

Souleater gives me level drain. I'd like to be in a position to use it. Unless I use it on passing peasants.

Spore
2015-06-08, 05:09 PM
Souleater gives me level drain. I'd like to be in a position to use it. Unless I use it on passing peasants.

Then get a few buff spells and use it as a touch attack and do not try to pitch your attack bonus vs real AC. Try to get layers of magical defense (Mirror Image, Displacement, Mage Armor, Shield and possibly Barkskin).