PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Master of sleight of hand, what to do with him?

PhantomRenegade
2015-06-08, 08:21 AM
So my rogue managed to find its way into a sleight of hand modifier of 20 at level 7 through a very handy magic item but i have a problem, my character doesn't actually rob people all that much.

I know this is all very DM dependent but what have you guys used sleight of hand for other than robbing?

KorvinStarmast
2015-06-08, 08:31 AM
So my rogue managed to find its way into a sleight of hand modifier of 20 at level 7 through a very handy magic item but i have a problem, my character doesn't actually rob people all that much.

I know this is all very DM dependent but what have you guys used sleight of hand for other than robbing? Suggest he become the comptroller / treasurer for the largest merchant guild in the game world. That will get his appetite for thievery up to suitable levels. :smallwink:

xroads
2015-06-08, 08:33 AM

I know this is all very DM dependent but what have you guys used sleight of hand for other than robbing?

Well, you could always try the reverse. Plant evidence on someone you want to frame.

Or, if you want to be more charitable, you could slip gold coins into random NPCs clothing, that way they have a pleasant surprise waiting for them. :smallbiggrin:

Or, perhaps you can try using it for some sort of feinting tricks in combat. If you GM's generous, it might grant you advantage on your first attack for example.

Finally, all types of classic magic tricks come to mind. The coin behind the ear. The psychic card reader. The shell game. All of these could be used for tavern entertainment or for running small cons.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-08, 08:39 AM
Sleight of Hand governs things other than thievery, darling. Let's get creative!

At its most basic, you can reverse-pickpocket, or plant items on people. Evidence, curses, alchemists' fire, wet leaves (to really mess with their minds).

You also need SoH to hide something quickly or palm it off to a friend. "why are you holding your hands behind your back?" *SoH* "no reason"

Some traps might need SoH to disable.

Many tavern games can be won with SoH.

You could develop a secret sign language with your allies that relies on high passive SoH.

Edit: shadowmonk'd. Ouch.