PDA

View Full Version : Wildflowers: transgender

halfeye
2015-06-08, 09:04 AM
http://wildflowers.smackjeeves.com/comics/

Erm, I dunno where this is going. when you read the comment on this days page (I'm not sure that the link will stick to this day rather than whatever is current), the author seems confused.

It's strangely drawn (and characters are monochrome when they are in emotional turmoil), but the style is unique (to my limited knowledge). A few pages ago the author thought the character looked like Marilyn Munroe, I couldn't see that at all.

There seems to me to be an element of homophobia to this aspect of transexuality, am I miataken or is that normal for transexuals?

GreenKrog
2015-09-16, 01:19 AM
Howdy. Author here.

I think you miswrote 'unique' when you meant 'terribly' drawn. Lets face it - my characters almost look human at best. *Almost*.

I am curious as to when I said that the character looks like Marilyn Monroe. they look absolutely nothing alike! I went through my comments for July and August and I couldn't see where I said that. Can you source it for me so I can properly defend/explain myself?

As for the internalized homophobia and transphobia - yes. The suicide rate of trans people is insanely high because we have such issue accepting ourselves. To so many trans people, it is ok for everyone ELSE to be gay/trans, but for us to be? No chance. To contemplate thinking that we might be beautiful one day and not feel as hurt as we do when we first figure it out? Unthinkable. So you are very much correct that there is a strong homophobic and transphobic bent internalized by many trans people. Tony/Annie's suicide is unfortunately all too common a story.

I hope this helps clarify thing. Feel free to post on the comic page itself, private message me, or message me on the smackjeeves board if you need further clarification. Either way, thanks for the half-plug. I appreciate every time someone brings up my work out of the blue. The more trans people who know they aren't alone from reading my comic, the better. For all you know, you are the reason that a trans person made it through to the next day, just because you linked the comic. You should know that.

-The GreenKrog

halfeye
2015-09-16, 12:04 PM
Hi, welcome. I just realised I should have said that first, this is an edit. Also, there are rules against thread necromancy (if this gets locked for that, a new thread on the same subject is often okay), swearing and talking about politics, religion or moral justification.

Marilyn Monroe.

That is apparently my rubbish quick reading skills. You wrote Marilyn Manson, I read Marilyn Munroe. :smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

The dates here are YYYY/MM/DD, so it wasn't August when I posted, it was June, and the relevant page was May the 26th.

I think that any trans person who has found this "The Playground", has probably found quite a lot of help already:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424207-LGBTAI-56-Prismatic-Spray!

GreenKrog
2015-09-16, 05:20 PM
Most certainly if this gets locked due to necro, that is entirely my fault and I apologize for it. I thought I was responding to a thread just over a month old.

As for the Marilyn Manson thing, look up pictures from the Mechanical Animals era, when he had red hair with black streaks. Example;
http://www.nyrock.com/imgs98/manson_new_int2.jpg
That particular picture has more colour in it than Manson's usual extreme whiteness, but illustrates the hair nicely. Hopefully you can better see why I would say Annie looks like Manson in that particular frame - red hair w/streaks, extremely white, black clothes?

I am glad this is a good environment for LGBT people. Some forums certainly aren't, so it is nice that this one is.

Hi, welcome. I just realised I should have said that first, this is an edit. Also, there are rules against thread necromancy (if this gets locked for that, a new thread on the same subject is often okay), swearing and talking about politics, religion or moral justification.

That is apparently my rubbish quick reading skills. You wrote Marilyn Manson, I read Marilyn Munroe. :smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

The dates here are YYYY/MM/DD, so it wasn't August when I posted, it was June, and the relevant page was May the 26th.

I think that any trans person who has found this "The Playground", has probably found quite a lot of help already:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424207-LGBTAI-56-Prismatic-Spray!