PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Concept Help

ShadowsBlaze
2015-06-08, 11:51 AM
Hi, so I need some advice to help with a concept. My group is starting up a Numenera campaign. And I have been wanting to play a concept based on Kreig from Borderlands ever since he was shown as a character, but it has sat on the back burner until now. The group I'm with are actually encouraging me to play as him this game so it's kosher with everyone, and I was estatic until I actually thought about it. I want him to still interact and be a team player in some way. But Kreig is basically a semi truck out of control on a downhill slope. His sane portion just tries to steer him into doing right and threatens to commit suicide if he ever doesn't. Beyond that it's a ****show of meat bicycles and nipple salad. So I'm trying to figure out a way to have both personalities work in a party but still be true to the concept of the character. So if anyone has any ideas about how to make this work with the best possible compromise would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information on who Kreig is and how the other two personalities interact I'll be happy to explain

Oddman80
2015-06-08, 12:12 PM
So other than the fact that you are a Mad Glaive that Rages....

You could use a sanity system.
Either work with the GM to have a separate Sanity Stat that you roll against, or just use the Intellect stat.

Whenever you are in a stressful situation (as determined by the GM), the GM can call for you to roll a percentile die. if the result is greater than 5x your Sanity Stat, then the crazy comes out for X amount of time (agreed to between you and GM).

Additional option - If you fail the check, you take -2 damage to the sanity stat, so that each time you go crazy it is more likely you will go crazy again.

ShadowsBlaze
2015-06-08, 12:34 PM
That's a good idea. I had also started thinking about having a PC work like an Anchor. If I was away from them or they were in trouble my sanity would degrade faster. Which could just make the sanity check a higher level.

Oddman80
2015-06-08, 12:51 PM
in pathfinder - there are a lot of campaign traits that give you a +1 to hit if a predetermined NPC is ever in your presence and is being threatened in some manner. Its a minor buff - but it is enough incentive that you want to protect that NPC and stay near them at all times.

I could see that translating over quite well in this instance. a bonus to X as well as a bonus to the sanity save when near the anchor... i guess the question would be, who selects the anchor?

i think you would have to develop the relationship before the PC could serve as an anchor.
additionally, severe damage to the selected PC should almost guarantee that you fly into the psycho rage MEAT BICYCLES FOR EVERYONE!

ShadowsBlaze
2015-06-08, 01:04 PM
We create characters together as a group, and have been a group for 2+ years now so creating a backstory and roleplaying a connection between other players isn't usually an issue for us.

One of our players is a child psychologist and is disturbingly good at playing children in our games (he played Annie from LoL in a Vampire game that was so good we have a player who can't interact with children in RPGs anymore) and if he makes a child I would love to have that be my anchor. But ultimately that choice would be up to the party and GM.

The pathfinder traits is a good thought too. We have all the Paizo books between us so that would probably be fine.