PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Suggestions for a classic 4 person adventuring party

the clumsy bard
2015-06-08, 12:55 PM
So I am running a pathfinder module for a few of my friends.

One of them is a long time player. He doesn't have a lot of time due to his job.

Another one played in a short lived game for a few months. Relatively inexperienced and most of his gaming experience involves yelling fireball (his character was a fire themed sorcerer).

The other 2 players have never played before and are not really sure what to do character creation wise.

I am running the pathfinder module: The Dragon's Demand (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8yvy/discuss&page=10?Pathfinder-Module-The-Dragons-Demand)

The players have asked me to make them some character's to choose from as they aren't really sure about character creation methods and the more experienced player just doesn't have the time.

Now I want to create 4 characters that sum up the quote unquote "classic adventuring party", which is to say a fighter, a rogue, a wizard and a cleric.

I know that using those actual classes wouldn't be that balanced or exact, so I was wondering what people would suggest class wise to fill these roles for an effective 4 person party?

A melee type character

A skilled character

An arcane character

A divine character

They don't have to fit into these exact roles, I am just curious what peoples suggestions for PATHFINDER classes would be for a new mostly inexperienced party.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-08, 01:08 PM
THF Paladin
Archer Inquisitor
TWF Investigator
Casting-focused Bard

Barstro
2015-06-08, 01:49 PM
I see the module starts at level 1. Are you planning on stopping after a few levels?

My limited experience causes me to think that Inquisitor isn't a great choice for a low-level game. It gets more fun around level 8.

If it's low level, I'd suggest Witch as the Arcane. She can spam her hexes and not overshadow the mundane classes.

the clumsy bard
2015-06-08, 01:54 PM
I see the module starts at level 1. Are you planning on stopping after a few levels?

My limited experience causes me to think that Inquisitor isn't a great choice for a low-level game. It gets more fun around level 8.

If it's low level, I'd suggest Witch as the Arcane. She can spam her hexes and not overshadow the mundane classes.

The module runs from level 1 - level 7 (by design anyways)

They are supposed to be level 7 when they face the last encounter in the module.

Barstro
2015-06-08, 02:05 PM
To follow up.

You stated that two people had never played before. Given how similar Pathfinder is the D&D, I am assuming you mean that they have never roleplayed before. If that's true, I suggest that they not be given the roleplay-heavy face of the party, or at least make it so the experienced player can get them out of social jams.

If the experienced player can be restrained in fights enough to help, instead of overshadow, the party, I suggest he take the charismatic divine class of Oracle.

If you are (as I am only assuming) keeping this as a low level campaign (EDIT: ok, you said to Level 7 while I was typing; I consider that too low for some classes to really shine), then tiers don't matter quite as much. Unless the Oracle is somehow going melee, the other two should take the melee role. Personally, I love battlefield placement and strategy and have a hard time wanting something other than a rogue with flanking partner.

Or you can have the experienced player take the role of a retired wise Cleric who just keeps giving advice and does some melee. Then you can get a more ranged character in there.

Witch
Oracle
Rogue
Fighter/Inquisitor (THW)

Witch
Cleric
Ranger/Inquisitor (range)/ Zen Archer
Barbarian?