PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cavalier - Custom Fighter Martial Archetype (PEACH)

Raven3182
2015-06-08, 01:31 PM
So, I'm looking to create a custom fighter martial archetype around the idea of a Cavalier. I've found a few attempts posted here on giantitp and elsewhere on the internet, but none of them really encapsulated what I'm looking for. The basic idea to to create a fighter that specializes in mounted combat, but without all the moral/religious/paladin/shining knight tropes that normally accompany characters of this type. (Not that there's anything wrong with such characters, I'm a big fan of paladins myself, but I want the archetype itself to be neutral to such ideas).

The only thing that I'm not very happy with is the fact that I can't find a way around having a "magically summoned" mount as part of the archetype. To me, it simply needs to be there for balance; as a lot of DnD sessions take place in environments where horses can't easily go (ie dungeons) there needs to be some sort of game mechanism to account for that. I Cavalier who has to simply tie up his horse outside every dungeon and go without it is not a very fun character to play. Thus, my hybrid Summon Steed spell based on Find Familiar and Find Steed.

Anyways, I could use some feedback. Thoughts? Suggestions?

(Note: I stole some ideas from this post: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?366470-Cavalier)

Cavalier

Fighter Marital Archetype

Cavaliers are mounted warriors without peer. While anyone with the means can attempt to fight from horseback, few have the dedication, skill, and talent needed to become a true Cavalier. Blessed at their consecration by otherworldly powers, Cavaliers develop a mystical connection with their mounts. This magical bond is can be an expression of either arcane or divine power, or from some other source depending on the individual character’s background. The bond allows you to summon, dismiss and interact with a magical steed as described below.

Level 3
Beginning when you choose this archetype at level 3, you gain two attributes. First, you gain the “Mounted Combatant” feat described on page 168 of the PHB (Copied here for easy reference).

Mounted Combatant: You are a dangerous foe to face while mounted. While you are mounted and aren’t incapacitated, you gain the following benefits:

• You have advantage on melee attack rolls against any unmounted creature that is smaller than your mount.

• You can force an attack targeted at your mount to target you instead.

• If your mount is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.

Second, you gain the ability to cast the spell “Summon Steed” once per long rest.

Summon Steed (Based on the spells “Find Steed” and “Find Familiar”)
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You summon a spirit that assumes the form of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed, creating a long-lasting bond with it. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a warhorse, a pony, a camel, an elk, or a mastiff. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.) The steed has the statistics of the chosen form, except that it has a +1 bonus to its Strength, Constitution and Dexterity scores above that of normal creatures of the chosen form. While it appears normal, it is actually a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of its normal type. Additionally, if your steed has an Intelligence of 5 or less, its Intelligence becomes 6, and it gains the ability to understand one language of your choice that you speak.

Your steed serves you as a mount, both in combat and out, and you have an instinctive bond with it that allows you to fight as a seamless unit. While mounted on your steed, you can make any beneficial spell that targets you also target your steed.

When the steed drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. Anything equipped on the steed (tack, harness, barding, saddle bags, etc.) disappears along with it. Casting this spell again summons the same steed, restored to its hit point maximum and with all equipment intact.

You can also dismiss your steed at any time as an action, causing it to disappear into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Anything equipped on the steed (tack, harness, barding, saddle bags, etc.) disappears along with it. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.

While your steed is within 1 mile of you, you can communicate with it telepathically.

While mounted, the rider can choose to either control the steed or allow it to act independently (see PHB 198).

The mount is extremely loyal and always has the best interests of its bonded rider in mind. It will never intentionally act in a way that would be to its master’s detriment or against its master’s wishes.

You can’t have more than one steed bonded by this spell at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a bonded steed, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Anything equipped on the steed at the time (tack, harness, barding, saddle, etc.) transforms to fit the steed’s new form as well.

Level 7
Mounted Charge
At 7th level, your training allows you to make a special attack while mounted. As an action when mounted, you can have your mount move up to its base speed, but a minimum of at least 15 feet in a straight line and then you can make a single attack with a melee weapon. For this attack, your normal proficiency bonus is doubled. On a hit, you deal extra damage equal to three times your proficiency bonus.

Level 10
Master of the Lance
Your training with a lance is unmatched. Beginning at 10th level, you have advantage when attacking with a lance while mounted. In addition, you score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20.

Level 12
Improved Bonded Steed
You now have further choices as to the form of your chosen steed. Beginning at 12th level, in addition to the previous forms mentioned in the Summon Steed spell, you can also choose to have your steed take the form of a flying or underwater creature. The steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a pegasus, giant eagle, hippogriff, griffon, hippocampus, sea horse, sea lion or dolphin. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.)

Level 15
Improved Mounted Charge
Your mount now charges through enemies at its normal speed. Starting at 15th level, when you perform a mounted charge, all enemies between you and your target of a size category smaller than your mount must make a Strength saving throw (DC 25) or fall prone and be trampled for 2d6+4 bludgeoning damage. Enemies with more than two feet on the ground have advantage on this saving throw.

Level 18
Inspiring Charge
The sight of you charging into battle serves as a source of inspiration for your allies and dread for your foes. Starting at 18th level, when you perform a mounted charge you may also chose to use a bonus action and upgrade it to an inspiring charge. You and all allies within a 30 foot radius of your position at the beginning of your inspiring charge receive 10 temporary hit points. Additionally, for one minute all allies that begin their turn within a 30 foot radius of your position receive advantage to their attack, ability check and saving throw rolls. Likewise, all enemies that begin their turn within a 30 foot radius of your position receive disadvantage to their attack, ability check and saving throw rolls. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

JNAProductions
2015-06-08, 01:46 PM
Level 3-This is a free ASI plus something extra. Considering how core it is, I'm inclined to let this slide, so it seems okay.

Level 7-This is pretty powerful, but with restrictions, seems okay.

Level 10-No! This is advantage on every single attack so long as you use a lance, and gives you the crit range of a high-level Champion. This is far too powerful.

Level 12-Might want to check the combat statistics on those mounts. Could be a bit too powerful.

Level 15-DC 25 is way too high. High level casters get DCs of 19. Make this 8+Proficiency+Strength score.

Level 18-This seems pretty powerful, but at 18th level, it might be okay.

Overall, a bit on the too poewrful side, but nothing too extreme. Needs tweaking.

Raven3182
2015-06-08, 03:43 PM
Level 10-No! This is advantage on every single attack so long as you use a lance, and gives you the crit range of a high-level Champion. This is far too powerful.

I honestly don't think this ability was is powerful as you're making it sound. After all, the Mounted Combatant Feat in the PHB already gives advantage to EVERY melee attack made by the rider against a creature that is smaller than the mount. Really, all this is doing is widening that to creatures the same size or larger than the mount while at the same time limiting it to one weapon only. At 10th level I don't think that's quite so over powered.

Perhaps the critical range is a bit much; however, compared to the Champion archetype found in the PHB, I didn't think it's all that out there. After all, a Champion gets critical hits on 19-20 at 3rd level and 18-20 at 15th level with ALL weapon attacks. I thought an 18-20 critical hit at level 10 with just one weapon only was balanced right in there.

Level 12-Might want to check the combat statistics on those mounts. Could be a bit too powerful.

I admit that I didn't look too closely at the mounts that I mentioned, just going with what came to mind. However, I have since discovered that those that are mentioned in the 5e Monster Manual all have a challenge rating of 2 or lower. Sadly, sea lions, dolphins and the mighty hippocampus are no longer in the MM. (How could they get rid of the hippocampus!?) I think that a Hunter Shark (CR 2) would work though. So, I don't think any of those are overpowered.

Level 15-DC 25 is way too high. High level casters get DCs of 19. Make this 8+Proficiency+Strength score.

I like 8+Proficiency+Mount's Strength Bonus.

Actually, I'm rethinking this ability a bit. I'm trying to add some realism with the fact that getting trampled by a charging horse would be a serious thing and is part of what makes charging cavalry so effective. In my mind, I don't see this stopping at the target creature, but continuing through it. Maybe it should read more like:

"Level 15
Improved Mounted Charge
Your mount now charges through enemies at its normal speed. Starting at 15th level, your mount can move through occupied enemy squares as long as the enemy creature is of a size category smaller than your mount. The creature must make a Strength saving throw (DC 8+Proficiency+Mount's Strength Bonus) or fall prone and be trampled for 2d6+4 bludgeoning damage. Enemies with more than two feet on the ground have advantage on this saving throw."

At 15th level, I don't think that's too much.

Thoughts?

BRKNdevil
2015-06-08, 05:32 PM
agreeing with JNA on level 10

On 3rd level, I'd say drop the ASI but keep mounted combat feat and the summoning spell

on 7th, I'd consider simplifying it to gaining the mobility feat

To stay in line with the 10th levels of the other subclasses, where the effect is usually something roleplayee, I'd consider changing it to summon steed once per short rest and a Ribbon as described in the Unearthed Arcana things

Fighters get an ASI on 12th and it doesn't have any archetypes gained here, so i find this a bit odd to start with.

At 15th, I'd just run with the animals attack damage and a DC based on the fighter's strength or the better of the 2 because sometimes the fighter can get more, especially if you have a generous DM for magic items.

dunno on 18

JNAProductions
2015-06-08, 05:55 PM
Devil, let me explain-3rd level is like a free ASI, due to granting a feat. It is not actually a free ASI.

Sorry for the confusion.

Raven3182
2015-06-08, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your input. Some responses:

on 7th, I'd consider simplifying it to gaining the mobility feat

The Mobile feat wouldn't actually do anything beneficial. Improving the character's movement is meaningless as it is the movement of the mount that matters.

To stay in line with the 10th levels of the other subclasses, where the effect is usually something roleplayee, I'd consider changing it to summon steed once per short rest and a Ribbon as described in the Unearthed Arcana things

How are the other 10th level fighter archetype features "roleplayee"? Champions get a fighting style, Battlemasters get better superiority dice, and the Eldritch Knight gets an attack that puts the target at disadvantage. I thought what I had with the lance feature was right in line with those.

Fighters get an ASI on 12th and it doesn't have any archetypes gained here, so i find this a bit odd to start with.

I can't really argue with you on this one. However, it just seemed like the steed needed to be upgraded at some point for high-level characters and there was no where else to put it.

At 15th, I'd just run with the animals attack damage and a DC based on the fighter's strength or the better of the 2 because sometimes the fighter can get more, especially if you have a generous DM for magic items.

The damage that I have quoted is the hoof damage for a warhorse. Although I think you're right, it should be the normal damage done by whatever type of mount is selected. Perhaps it should be worded:

"The creature must make a Strength saving throw (DC 8+Proficiency+Mount's Strength Bonus) or fall prone and be trampled for the normal amount of damage done by the mount's type as is decided by the DM. For example, the hooves of a warhorse do 2d6+4 bludgeoning damage."

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Any other input?

PotatoGolem
2015-06-08, 11:00 PM
Why not make the 10th level ability Improved Steed? I agree with the other posters- the increased crit range is too much. It's literally the main/best ability of a Champion.

For level 1, giving the feat seems lame. Fighters get so many ASIs that you can pick up the feat anyway, so this doesn't add much, although I do like the spell a lot. I'd go for a different mount boost instead. The main weakness of mounts at higher levels is their abysmal HP, so I'd do something with that. Maybe add to Summon Steed that it gains 5*level HP?

BRKNdevil
2015-06-08, 11:38 PM
I was more thinking the last section of the mobile feat. the part where anyone attacked by the user can't do an opportunity attack

Raven3182
2015-06-09, 12:07 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

Why not make the 10th level ability Improved Steed? I agree with the other posters- the increased crit range is too much. It's literally the main/best ability of a Champion... The main weakness of mounts at higher levels is their abysmal HP, so I'd do something with that. Maybe add to Summon Steed that it gains 5*level HP?

Everybody's hatin' on the lance ability...

Okay, so we scratch that, and move the improved mount ability to level 10. Anyone else have thoughts about giving the mount extra hit dice at this point as well PotatoGolem suggested?

For level 1, giving the feat seems lame. Fighters get so many ASIs that you can pick up the feat anyway, so this doesn't add much, although I do like the spell a lot.

My thinking at this point was that a Cavalier needs two things to function at a basic level: 1. a mount and 2. the ability to ride and fight from said mount well. I figured that the easiest and most balanced way to accomplish that was to simply reapply what the PHB already presented (the Mounted Combatant feat) or make some adjustments to the PHB (the spell). In any event, at 3rd level when the fighter selects this Archetype, he/she somehow needs to both get a mount and be able to ride and fight from the mount proficiently. Right? Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

Raven3182
2015-06-09, 12:14 AM
I was more thinking the last section of the mobile feat. the part where anyone attacked by the user can't do an opportunity attack

Makes sense, but that's already built into mounted combat for 5e. When controlling a mount, the animal can make three actions: Dash, Disengage and Dodge. Furthermore, when something moves you without using your movement, you do not provoke an opportunity attack. Thus, a rider on a Disengaging mount does not provoke opportunity attacks.

So, I like the way you're thinking, but the best part of the Mobile feat is already in mounted combat, in a manner of speaking. It at least makes taking the mobile feat kind of redundant.

Flashy
2015-06-09, 12:22 AM
Everybody's hatin' on the lance ability...

Okay, so we scratch that, and move the improved mount ability to level 10. Anyone else have thoughts about giving the mount extra hit dice at this point as well PotatoGolem suggested?
I mean, it's literally a better version of the 18th level feature of a different archetype at level 10. Sure it only applies to one weapon in particular but it's not like you'd ever use anything else with that kind of incentivization.

I support moving the 12th level feature to 10th, especially since fighters don't actually have a 12th level archetype feature. Personally I'd cap the mount at CR 1 scaling up to CR 2 at 15th or 18th level, but it's probably not a huge deal.

My thinking at this point was that a Cavalier needs two things to function at a basic level: 1. a mount and 2. the ability to ride and fight from said mount well. I figured that the easiest and most balanced way to accomplish that was to simply reapply what the PHB already presented (the Mounted Combatant feat) or make some adjustments to the PHB (the spell). In any event, at 3rd level when the fighter selects this Archetype, he/she somehow needs to both get a mount and be able to ride and fight from the mount proficiently. Right? Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

As I understand it the objection is that giving away the mounted combatant feat for free is an inelegant solution, simply because fighters at large have such easy access to it. You're really only giving them Find Steed because Mounted Combatant is something they could easily have anyway. There's nothing unique about it.

Raven3182
2015-06-09, 12:43 AM
Thanks for your input.

I support moving the 12th level feature to 10th, especially since fighters don't actually have a 12th level archetype feature. Personally I'd cap the mount at CR 1 scaling up to CR 2 at 15th or 18th level, but it's probably not a huge deal.

I didn't want to get that specific in detailing the CR level of the summoned mount, especially since the original spell in the PHB avoids doing so, leaving the decision up to the DM. In some campaigns a CR 2 mount might be normal, in others it might be either underpowered or overpowered. Thus, while only making the classic suggestions for exotic mounts, the decision is left with the DM.

As I understand it the objection is that giving away the mounted combatant feat for free is an inelegant solution, simply because fighters at large have such easy access to it. You're really only giving them Find Steed because Mounted Combatant is something they could easily have anyway. There's nothing unique about it.

So the objection here is that using the Mounted Combatant feat for the basis of the archetype isn't unique enough? Hmmm... So, we need to find something else that makes a character good at mounted combat at 3rd level but doesn't overlap with the Mounted Combatant feat (which they're likely to take at 4th level if they haven't already done so as a 1st level human). I need my thinking cap for this one...

Raven3182
2015-06-09, 12:59 AM
Okay, how about this: at 3rd level when the fighter chooses the Cavalier archetype, he/she gets the Summon Steed spell (detailed above). Furthermore, when mounted, the Cavalier adds his proficiency bonus to both his Armor Class and his Initiative.

Edit: Adding the proficiency bonus to AC and Init. might be too much. So, alternatively how about a flat +2 to AC and Init when mounted?

Thus we take the Mounted Combatant feat out of the archetype and leave it as a feat that can be selected normally.

Thoughts?

JNAProductions
2015-06-09, 07:58 AM
Eesh. That's, again, too powrful. An entire fighting style gives +1 to AC. And you want to give +2 to AC and Initiative? It's too much. Maybe just initiative would work.

Raven3182
2015-06-09, 12:47 PM
Eesh. That's, again, too powrful. An entire fighting style gives +1 to AC. And you want to give +2 to AC and Initiative? It's too much. Maybe just initiative would work.

It's powerful, yes, but you need to remember that unlike fighting styles and other abilities, the bonuses that the Cavalier gets will not be in use as often. If you take the Defense fighting style, you're always going to wear armor, period. But a Cavalier won't always be mounted. Everything he/she gets that is beneficial according to his archetype requires him to be mounted. Most dungeon settings will not allow for this. Most of the time, the Cavalier is probably going to end up fighting on foot. So, I think it balances in that in most settings the Cavalier gets no bonuses from his archetype, but in the few cases that he does, he gets some good stuff.

JNAProductions
2015-06-09, 12:49 PM
Honestly, I would simply not take this if I'm not usually going to be mounted. That's something to discuss with your DM ahead of time.

And there are plenty of campaigns where you could be mounted the entire time. Wilderness-themed ones. Above-ground wars. Knightly jousts.

This should be balanced when compared to the other Fighter archetypes. No excuses.

PotatoGolem
2015-06-09, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure if it's OP. The AC is definitely the better half, and is quite good, but there are two considerations that make me think it's probably ok.

1) As you said, it's conditional. I've never played any campaign that only features fights outdoors in big open areas. If the enemies are smart (especially BBEGs and such that gather information on their opponents) they'll look for ways to neutralize your advantages. I don't think it's too string just because some campaign somewhere is 100% jousts. It's balanced for most campaigns- the ones it isn't balanced for can just not allow it.

2) The level 3 archetype feature is really strong for all fighters. Champions get a great damage boost. BM and EK get a slew of new options. To be in line with it, your level 3 ability NEEDS to be strong.

Raven3182
2015-06-09, 04:36 PM
Okay. So here's a second draft of the archetype with a bunch of alterations made to it based on various comments and suggestions.

Level 3
Beginning when you choose this archetype at level 3, you gain two attributes. First, whenever you’re mounted you gain a +2 bonus to your Armor Class as well as a +2 bonus to your Initiative.

Second, you gain the ability to cast the spell “Summon Steed” once per long rest.

Summon Steed (Based on the spells “Find Steed” and “Find Familiar”)
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You summon a spirit that assumes the form of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed, creating a long-lasting bond with it. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a warhorse, a pony, a camel, an elk, or a mastiff. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.) The steed has the statistics of the chosen form, except that it has a +1 bonus to its Strength, Constitution and Dexterity scores above that of normal creatures of the chosen form. While it appears normal, it is actually a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of its normal type. Additionally, if your steed has an Intelligence of 5 or less, its Intelligence becomes 6, and it gains the ability to understand one language of your choice that you speak.

Your steed serves you as a mount, both in combat and out, and you have an instinctive bond with it that allows you to fight as a seamless unit. While mounted on your steed, you can make any beneficial spell that targets you also target your steed.

When the steed drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. Anything equipped on the steed (tack, harness, barding, saddle bags, etc.) disappears along with it. Casting this spell again summons the same steed, restored to its hit point maximum and with all equipment intact.

You can also dismiss your steed at any time as an action, causing it to disappear into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Anything equipped on the steed (tack, harness, barding, saddle bags, etc.) disappears along with it. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.

While your steed is within 1 mile of you, you can communicate with it telepathically.

While mounted, the rider can choose to either control the steed or allow it to act independently (see PHB 198).

The mount is extremely loyal and always has the best interests of its bonded rider in mind. It will never intentionally act in a way that would be to its master’s detriment or against its master’s wishes.

You can’t have more than one steed bonded by this spell at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a bonded steed, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Anything equipped on the steed at the time (tack, harness, barding, saddle, etc.) transforms to fit the steed’s new form as well.

Level 7
Mounted Charge
At 7th level, your training allows you to make a special attack while mounted. As an action when mounted, you can have your mount move up to its base speed, but a minimum of at least 15 feet in a straight line and then you can make a single attack with a melee weapon. For this attack, your normal proficiency bonus is doubled. On a hit, you deal extra damage equal to three times your proficiency bonus.

Level 10
Improved Bonded Steed
You now have further choices as to the form of your chosen steed. Beginning at 10th level, in addition to the previous forms mentioned in the Summon Steed spell, you can also choose to have your steed take the form of a flying or underwater creature. The steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a pegasus, giant eagle, hippogriff, griffon, giant sea horse, or hunter shark. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.)

Level 15
Improved Mounted Charge
Your mount now charges through enemies trampling them beneath it. Starting at 15th level, as an Action Surge, you can have your mount charge through occupied enemy squares as long as the enemy creature is of a size category smaller than your mount. The mount must move in a straight line for at least 15 feet before moving into the first enemy space. It can continue to move forward in a straight line up to its total normal movement and trample up to 2 additional enemies. The creature must make a Strength saving throw (DC 8+Proficiency+Mount's Strength Bonus) or fall prone and be trampled for the normal amount of damage done by the mount's type or as is decided by the DM. For example, the hooves of a warhorse do 2d6+4 bludgeoning damage. So, at most, the mount could trample 3 enemy creatures by moving in a straight line for at least 30 feet.

Level 18
Inspiring Charge
The sight of you charging into battle serves as a source of inspiration for your allies and dread for your foes. Starting at 18th level, when you perform a mounted charge you may also chose to use a bonus action and upgrade it to an inspiring charge.
For one minute you and all allies that begin their turn within a 30 foot radius of your position receive advantage to their attack
rolls. Likewise, all enemies that begin their turn within a 30 foot radius of your position receive disadvantage to their attack
rolls. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Thoughts?

Flashy
2015-06-10, 01:36 AM
Honestly, I would simply not take this if I'm not usually going to be mounted. That's something to discuss with your DM ahead of time.

And there are plenty of campaigns where you could be mounted the entire time. Wilderness-themed ones. Above-ground wars. Knightly jousts.

This should be balanced when compared to the other Fighter archetypes. No excuses.

It occurred to me in the course of the thread that the problem with the whole premise of a mounted fighter archetype is exactly what you point out: it isn't agnostic about the character's fighting style. There's no official fighter archetype for mounted combat in the same way there isn't a fighter archetype for archery or two weapon fighting. It's one of many combat choices you can make, and there are options in the PHB to make it function, but there are times and places where it just doesn't work as well as other equivalent choices. A fighting style that gives any mount you ride additional hit points and bonuses to certain necessary saves essentially fixes the problems with mounted combat, and does it without making your character a one trick pony.

Raven3182
2015-06-10, 12:33 PM
It occurred to me in the course of the thread that the problem with the whole premise of a mounted fighter archetype is exactly what you point out: it isn't agnostic about the character's fighting style. There's no official fighter archetype for mounted combat in the same way there isn't a fighter archetype for archery or two weapon fighting. It's one of many combat choices you can make, and there are options in the PHB to make it function, but there are times and places where it just doesn't work as well as other equivalent choices. A fighting style that gives any mount you ride additional hit points and bonuses to certain necessary saves essentially fixes the problems with mounted combat, and does it without making your character a one trick pony.

You're correct in that you can make a character that is proficient in mounted combat without making a specified class or class archetype. However, there is a big difference between making a character who is proficient in fighting from horseback and making a Cavalier with a capital 'C'. Something like this gets to a more fundamental, role-playing decision about who the character is. Is my character a fighter who has a wide range of capabilities, equally able to use a bow, fight with a halberd, and charge into the fray on a warhorse, or is he a knight who has dedicated his life to horsemanship and mounted warfare to the detriment of other areas? Having things like different fighter archetypes or even different warrior classes speaks to the desire to specialize the character, make it a unique individual, and differentiate it from others. It's not just about getting mounted combat to work within the game system, even though that's an important part of the process.

So, are there different ways that a mounted warrior could be successfully implemented within DnD? Absolutely. But it's a matter of the degree of specialization and dedication on behalf of the character that is really at heart in making new things like archetypes. You can have a fighter that is simply proficient in mounted warfare by just choosing the Mounted Combatant feat. If that's as far as you want to go, good. Stop there. But if you want something more, perhaps another step further down the road of becoming more specialized and more unique would be to add a new fighting style, and then an archetype, and then a class all to itself. Perhaps the extreme would be to create a custom race dedicated to the topic (centaurs as pcs? some weird type of symbiotic mount and rider organisms that can't live without the other?).

In the end, it all comes down to role-playing. I want a character that has dedicated his life to fighting from horseback. He should logically be better at it than any other fighters who haven't made the same choice and simply chose the Mounted Combatant feat. He should also be worse than them at non-mounted combat, since he hasn't spent so much of his time on it. All the while, it needs to function in the game and be fun to play. Thus, create an archetype.

PotatoGolem
2015-06-11, 10:22 AM
Version 2.0 looks good! I'd definitely add some survivability to the mount though- as it is, it's way too easy for the enemy to kill your horse and leave you with no archetype abilities for a day.

I'm also not 100% sold on "as an action surge" for the 15th level ability- doesn't really fit in with the rest of 5e's streamlined action/bonus/interact template. How about "as an action, once per short or long rest?"

Raven3182
2015-06-11, 11:34 AM
Thanks!

Version 2.0 looks good! I'd definitely add some survivability to the mount though- as it is, it's way too easy for the enemy to kill your horse and leave you with no archetype abilities for a day.

Yeah, I think you're right in that the mount needs some more hp. How about this: "The steed has the maximum number of hit points for its chosen type or a hit point total equal to 8 x your character level, whichever is higher." What do you think?

I'm also not 100% sold on "as an action surge" for the 15th level ability- doesn't really fit in with the rest of 5e's streamlined action/bonus/interact template. How about "as an action, once per short or long rest?"

I decided to make the 15th level ability based on using an action surge because that is how the 15th level ability of the Eldritch Knight works. Thus is fits right in with how the 5e mechanics work as its right there in a core archetype. You get to use it as your Action Surge, which puts a limit on how often you can use it, but also keeps in mind that it gets more powerful down the road, as at 17th level, fighters get two action surges per rest.

PotatoGolem
2015-06-11, 03:58 PM
The HP boost seems reasonable- don't want it to be too easy to kill.

Even the EK ability isn't "as an action surge" though. It's a non-action on a turn that you use your AS. I don't think it's necessarily unbalanced to have it this way, but it constrains your use of AS somewhat. Just as a warding note, though, I'd probably phrase it as "as an action, when you use action surge," since AS gives you another Action.