PDA

View Full Version : Phil and Rita

Pages : [1] 2 3

redfeline
2015-06-08, 03:44 PM
After a long night of happy celebrating, and collecting well deserved pay, you wake up in the Rusty Dragon Inn. Just down the stairs is a tavern. The noise died down a bit before midnight and you slept well and deeply. So deeply in fact that you had a vivid and detailed dream. However now that the smell of fresh bacon enters your nose, you can't seem to remember any of the details of your dream, other than you had one.

It is 7 am, and the sounds below you seem to be picking up. Your far from the first occupant to find themselves awake and hungry. In the corner of the room sits bags of your payment and loot. The spoils came to a very profitable 36000. 6000 of it is yours and yours alone.

-------------------------

OOC
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420151-Phil-and-Rita&p=19369671#post19369671

PeacefulOak
2015-06-08, 04:10 PM
With a joint-creaking stretch and a loud yawn, Victor rose from his cot. Glancing around, he nodded greetings to those of his companions that he saw rising, but his attention was clearly elsewhere. Victor slipped his tabbard over his head, grasped his holy symbol, and knelt in the sunlight streaming through the window. Victor's sonorous voice rumbles in a deep baritone as he begins his morning prayers. "Holy Iomedae, blessed icon of truth, guide me through my day..." As he prays, the morning light seems to linger around him, a faint radiance that makes it seem as though someone is truly listening. Fifteen minutes later, his mind filled with the glorious holy energy of his faith, he donned his armor and retrieved his pack.

Due to his focus on his morning meditations (refreshing his spells), he would not be a part of any initial conversation.

Oddman80
2015-06-08, 05:20 PM
Finny 2-10

Springing out of bed like a child on the first morn of the Sunwrought Festival, Finny quickly dresses and grabs his gear, all while keeping one eye on the treasure pile in the center of the room. It had taken Finny hours to get to sleep the night before. The lure of all that gold kept his mind reeling into the early morning hours.

{take it!} a voice in his head commanded.

{they are all sleeping like babes! You could have it all. By the time they wake you could be three towns away}

And on and on the voices tormented him. But he knew that if he took more than his share he would likely find himself exploded, cursed in several ways, his limbs ripped off his body, and his head cut clean off... No... These were not the type of people he wanted to cross... At least not without a better thought out plan.

Silencing his mind yet again, Finny turned his attention back to the piles of coin. A chill ran up his spine. {You made more coin this past week than you did in the past two years, Idiot - Don't ruin this thing you've got going}

With all the restraint he can muster, Finny slowly approaches the pile of coin purses. As nonchalantly as possible, he reaches up to the top most bag with his left hand. Without even realizing what he was doing he feals his right hand clap around the cinch of a bag in front of him - hidden to the rest of the room by his own body.

As soon as he realized what he was doing his heart started racing so fast he thought it might burst from his chest. Immediately, he let go with his right hand as he took the other purse and turned around - finding several pairs of eyes on him.

I'll just go down an order some breakfast for us then. Finny said to those watching him, before swiftly walking out of the room and racing down the steps of the Rusty Dragon two at a time (no small feat for one so small in stature). It wasn't until he found himself seated at a large table in the tavern that his heart calmed and his breathing returned to normal.

Looking up towards the barmaid standing near the kitchen, Finny orders a handful of breakfast plates for he and his new companions. As he waits for the others to come down, he passes the time by silencing each and every little voice that pops up in his head - all of which have a common goal: to goad him into taking the rest of the loot bags and start running as fast as he can.

Smileybastard
2015-06-08, 05:24 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn rises and sits on the edge of his bed, taking in the smells of bacon bellow which brings a smile to his face. He scratches and stretches and watches Victor momentarily as he prays. He looks at the loot and smiles again. That would buy a lot of bacon.

"And what adventure lays before us today my friends?" He punctuates the question with a beltch.

1337Noooob
2015-06-08, 07:10 PM
Boggli Bibblebump

Boggli, ever the early bird, jumps out of bed. He scans the room, taking note of every single detail.

This 'aint no Dragon's Cave, he uttered to himself, with a sizeable amount of worry in his voice.

Suddenly, it all came back to him. The bears, the bandits, the Drago-

Ah, fer' the love of- Stupid Dragon! He remembered; the Dragon was just an elaborate illusion set up by some good-for-nothing Orc. God, Boggli fondly replayed the memory giving that Orc a beating, nay, an exploding as revenge for his dashed hopes.

Looking over to the desk on his left, he noticed a sizeable pouch. Opening it, he unveiled numerous goodies. A shiny gemstone here, a tiara there, Oh, look at that ring! I wonder if it's magical... Boggli exclaimed, snatching the metal thing out of the sac. After examining it for a while, tapping on the stone attached to the ring, he decided it wasn't worth figuring it out on his own. He considered waking up Billo Bildibop, a sorcerer, to ask about the ring's properties. Walking over to the other Gnome's bed, he stood over him, tapping him to see if he would wake.

WindStruck
2015-06-08, 08:24 PM
Shantae

Shantae gently awakens from a peaceful sleep. Though the dream was so vivid, it was all but gone when she realized she was actually awake in her inn room. With a loud yawn and a stretch, she gets out of bed. "Good morning, Brush." With another intermittent yawn she adds, "I had the strangest dream. At least, I think I did. But I can't really remember what it was about..."

The red and brown speckled bird, which looked kind of like a sparrow but was nearly the size of a pigeon merely tilted its head to the side. "Well you know what I've been dreaming about for almost an hour now? Scrambled eggs!"

"...Brush, you're a bird."

"And?"

"Why do you want to eat eggs?!"

"They're tasty, why else?" The thrush flitted across the room and perched on a nearby bed post.

"Isn't that, like, cannibalism or something?"

"Chickens are a different species, I'm pretty sure."

"Ugh, whatever. Just give me a few, and we'll head down." Shantae begins to sponge herself off using a wash basin. Never did own a bathtub yet, and it didn't seem like it was happening soon...

Brush whistles suggestively like he was being given a free show. "Brush! Turn around you pervert!" The half genie girl whips the bird forcefully with her hair, causing a few feathers to discharge from his body as he nearly slams into the wall. "Sheesh, you're no fun, Shantae!"

===

More antics ensued as she continued to get presentable to go downstairs. She wore her dancing outfit because it seemed it was all she usually wore (except that one time these nuts confused her for some princess) and she didn't have another outfit with her anyway.

As she begins to leave her room, Brush perches on top of Shantae's hair to her annoyance. "Say Shantae, are you just going to leave all that money in your room?"

The girl shrugged. "This seems like a nice town. I don't think anyone will steal it."

"Well what about those thieves that stole the diamonds?"

"Eh, we took care of them. So it should be fine now."

The bird didn't know how to respond to that and was thinking of mentioning that shady halfling Shantae had befriended, but by this time she had already made it downstairs.

"Hey, Finny!" Shantae says with a beaming smile, energetically plopping across the table from the halfling. Brush flaps his wings, making a slow hover to land on the table near the two. The bird eyes Finny suspiciously.

Oddman80
2015-06-09, 12:22 AM
With the purple haired lady's arrival, Finny snapped out of his reverie.

Good morning beautiful! I assume you slept well in that private suite of yours... I mean - you had to have faired better than me -

Leaning over the table, Finny conspiratorially share with the young woman:

I'm not sure who snores worse, that strange little Boggli fellow or that Ka-Sa-whatever - you know, the toothy one

Hatter
2015-06-09, 06:42 AM
Billo Bildibop

His stomach rumbled with hunger as Billo awoke from his sleep. He spent a moment lazily stretching across his bed "Ahhhhh...a real bed! I love a real bed! Ha!"

He hopped out of bed and haphazardly put his robe on before the smell of breakfast lured him down the stairs.

WindStruck
2015-06-09, 06:53 AM
"Mmhmm..." Shantae replies. "Did all five of you take that one room??" She didn't know if they all were serious from the night before.

"Cheap," the bird says. "When's the grub coming?"

Just then the barmaid put some plates before the two plus some extras, Brush nearly having to dodge out of the way. Shantae smiles and thanks her. Just then she notices Billo and waves hello over to him.

Oddman80
2015-06-09, 07:54 AM
Well... Not everyone's as trusting as you, Shantae. The others took my offer to stand watch over the gold last night with a twinge of cynicism. They seemed to think the presence of four others in the room would prevent a fifth from doing anything unscrupulous...

Seeing Shantae turn her attention to the approaching gnome, Finnegan pauses his analysis of the previous night's sleeping arrangements and smiles at the jolly looking gnome as he approaches the table.

Have a seat Smiles, I took the liberty of ordering us all breakfast. After the past few days, I thing we deserve a nice hot meal.

Turning his attention back to Shantae, Finny adds,

Five men to a room also has the nice side effect that it dissuades any outside visitors from coming in. It was nearly impossible to move around up there without bumping into one of the beds

Hatter
2015-06-09, 09:02 AM
"Food! Ha! Real food! No trail mix!" Billo laughs and takes a seat next to Finny with a grin and slaps the halfling on the back. "Coffee too! What I wouldn't do for a cup of hot coffee!"

He waves at the tavern wench. "Coffee please!"

Oddman80
2015-06-09, 09:56 AM
Blinking dramatically a couple of times, Finny realizes that coffee might be do him some good after his restless night. Calling out the barmaid -

Hey Ameiko! Can I get me a cup of mud over here as well?

Looking back at the gnome, Finny asks,
Did Boggli and Kaysun's nasal orchestra keep you up too?

PeacefulOak
2015-06-09, 10:01 AM
As he prayed, Victor had watched from the corner of his eye Finny's struggle over the treasure. Seeing him choose only one sack of the loot brought a small secret smile to Victor's face. Looks like my friend Finny made the right decision yet again. Perhaps the path of righteousness is open to him after all!

He listened to the conversation as he buckled his armor on, noting that several seemed keen on following Finny to the tavern to break their fast. Letting one hand rest comfortably on the hilt of his longsword, he nods at Ka'Sahn and responds to his question.

"The first adventure of the day seems to be breakfast! We'd better hurry before Finny and Billo eat our shares too!"

Victor bends down and scoops up his share of the loot, placing it into his backpack before slinging it easily over one shoulder. "Come along, Boggli. I can take a look at that ring for you once I've had my fill of that bacon."

With that, he steps to and through the door, letting it swing loose behind him. Walking briskly down the stairs, a quiet smile again appears on his face. Victor steps into the tavern and catches sight of Shantae, Billo, and Finny seated at a table together. From the door, his voice booms out "Good morning!" He drops comfortably into the seat on the other side of Finny, patting the halfling on the shoulder. "What a wonderful morning for breakfast and good decisions! Our benefactor has made us wealthy! What shall we do with our well-earned loot?"

Hatter
2015-06-09, 10:15 AM
Billo sipped on his coffee a sense of peace coming over him and he stated "Love coffee. Coffee is good...soooo...good."

He laughed at Victor's question and replied with a wide grin, one hand holding his coffee and the other pointed upwards in a matter of fact manner. "We purchase items of power! Magical artifacts to increase our dlestructive power! Well, at least that's what I plan on doing with my portion. Ahahahahaha!"

The odd little red-headed gnome in red robes quickly regained his composure and took another sip of his coffee as if nothing happened.

Oddman80
2015-06-09, 10:41 AM
Finny hears Victor's question and pauses for some time, head hung low in thought - completely missing Billo's outburst - before looking back up at the holy man.

Vicky... you really know how to cut to the quick, don't you. I mean... that's the question, isn't it? I don't know about any of you - but I've never had this much money to my name. I grew up here in Sandpoint, and my family has always had to live hand to mouth for as far back as I can remember. There was one time I snagged a... um.. earned like 50 gold in a night - and that was the cause a pretty big party in the Buiester household.

I guess i'm sayin' - sure - there are all sorts of things I've coveted over the years. Magical belts and hats and rings... that would all make my life so much easier... But... well... I could also buy my folks a house in town - so they can start actually saving money up, instead of passing every coin they earn right along to that greedy lessor of theirs.

Honestly I hadn't ever left town before last week. This whole adventuring thing is new to me. I mean - Is this type of cash normal?

redfeline
2015-06-09, 10:51 AM
The lower floor of the Rusty Dragon quickly feels, it would seem locals as well as travelers seem to frequent the tavern portion, as the number of guests this mourning quickly matches the number of drinkers from last night.

In the corner of the room a dwarf starts singing a wonderful elven ballad an empty plate in front of her for coins.

As Shantae passes the bar she hers some talk about the trolls in the woods becoming more aggressive of late.

Sitting alone at the table Finny hears talk about the local Earl collecting taxes. "The cart should be coming by soon."

As victor comes down the stairs two burly men talk underneath it. "I'll meet up with you later. I am going by the fight club first. Win me some good gold."

"Well don't be late or injured." With that the second man walks off.

As Billo sits at the table he overhears. "That lumber mill is haunted. Things move on their own and strange whispers are heard. That is why they shut it down."

1337Noooob
2015-06-09, 11:44 AM
Boggli Bibblebump

Boggli could not wake up the other Gnome.

Damn, he said under his breath. Returning to his bed, he was about to throw the ring back into the pouch along with all the other mundane jewelry, when it hit him. Those objects were swimming in a pool of Shiny! he yelled!

Bouncing down the stairs to the tavern with Victor, who had agreed to perform divinations on his ring, Boggli quickly ordered his brunch; he had spent the morning preparing his extracts, and counting his Shiny. But mostly counting his Shiny, which totaled up to about 5,677 Gold Pieces worth of coin, and a few other valuables he could sell.

He ordered a huge plate of bacon and eggs. Boggli hadn't eat a lot of meat, since he was quite poor and meat was such a hard food to sustain himself with. However, with the large amount of coin in his pouch, it seemed like luxury food was no longer a luxury. He scarfed down the plate in less than a minute, before realizing the halfling had already ordered a plate for him. He scarfed that down too.

Overhearing his companions' chatter about loot, he walked up and gave off a huge Belch

So, what're you up to?

Sorry for not posting this a bit earlier. I had exams and I just got back
Extracts prepared:
1st Level: Adhesive Spittle, Targetted Bomb Admixture, Reduce Person, Long Arm, Cure Light Wounds
2cd Level: Alchemical Allocation, Fox's Cunning, Barkskin

Hatter
2015-06-09, 04:39 PM
"Talking about payment" said the other gnome.

"It's definitely a lot of pay! I'm not complaining though! Gold is good! Haha!"

Billo laughed out loud, obviously finding the halfling's worry to be amusing.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-09, 05:13 PM
Victor listens carefully to Finny's story, nodding his understanding and sympathy to the halfling's plight.

"Finny, I had much the same experience when I embraced the faith and left my parents' farm to travel the land. I have faced many challenges, and I have prevailed through the strength of my spirit and the grace of Iomedae. What I learned is that the greater the challenge you face, the greater the rewards you receive, whether those be material and valuable, or immaterial."

Victor paused a moment, gazing thoughtfully at his companions around the table. "I believe we all grew stronger working together to stop the thieves. Together we will accomplish great things, I know. And one of those things, Finny," Victor clapped a hand once more onto the shoulder of the halfling, "will be the purchase of a home for your family."

Hatter
2015-06-09, 05:23 PM
Billo simply stared at Victor, mouth open, jaw dropping his hands alhmost dropping his coffee cup. Did his money just get voluntold? Did that really just happen? Billo couldn't quite wrtap his mind around it and he remained as such for a brief moment.

Billo quickly gathered himself together. He could refuse but doing so would paint him in a negative light, a hleartless shrew... No, that couldn't happen. He will beat Victor to it before the entirity of his gold was pledged to the "Build-a-Home" project.

"Well!" Billo chimed in with a grin. "I will pledge one thousand gold pieces to the project!"

1337Noooob
2015-06-09, 06:34 PM
Aware that his party was debating on buying a house, but not sure why, Boggli Bibblebump wasn't about to shell out his new fortune. Being poor to rich in a day's payment; Boggli didn't know if he wanted to go back on that transformation.

"Waita Waita Wait! I see we be buyin' a house o' sorts, but I 'aint gonna jump on no band wagin' and be handin' out my freshly earned coin!" Boggli said, looking, but not sounding thoroughly annoyed. "Why d'ya even want one? Not like we gonna be stayin' here long, eh? Let's go! We got things to do!"

Hatter
2015-06-09, 06:38 PM
Oh this is priceless! Now he wont look like the shrew! It'll just be Boggli that suffers that fate. He glanced sideways with a grin at the other gnome. "But Boggli! Where's the gnomish spirit of generosity? Eh? Ha! Finny needs a house for his parents! Besides! We can always crash on their couch! I plan to at least!"

WindStruck
2015-06-09, 06:42 PM
Shantae began chowing down and merely smiled as Finny described their arrangements. Brush pecked at her eggs. Suddenly when Finny mentioned the other gnome, the bird said, "Bilbo."

"Huh?" Shantae asked.

"The one upstairs is Bilbo."

"This is Bilbo! I mean... Billow?" she asked pointing to Billo. She let out an aggravated sigh. Pretty sure she just mixed them up again.

Then Victor came down. Shantae was startled by his loud voice and turned to see who it was. Brush used this opportunity to take nearly a whole piece of potato off her plate. When they began to talk about what they would do with their money, she wasn't sure.

"Hmm... I don't know. It does seem like a lot of money..." Shantae thought out loud.

"I bet you've never had that much in your entire life!"

"I guess so. I have no idea what to do with it! Items of power...? How much does a house even cost?" she asked.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-09, 07:13 PM
Victor laughs. "Billo, your generosity does you credit. Boggli, don't worry. No one," he glances at Finny "expects you to give up your fair share of our reward. I simply meant that I would help our companion find a suitable home for his family."

That said, Victor tucks into his breakfast, loading eggs, bacon, and potatoes onto a slice of bread and taking a hefty bite.

Hatter
2015-06-09, 07:18 PM
Billo simply blinks, his fork resting in a piece of sausage... he's been had by the priest! Conned by a man of the cloth!

"Yeah! Why wouldn't I help a friend?" He shoves the sausage into his mouth and chewed to prevent himself from sayiwng anything else.

Smileybastard
2015-06-09, 07:27 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn comes down the stairs and overhears the plan to buy a house. "Never had a house ... or lived in one really, cept waaay back when I was with my Mom."
"I don't need the gold for anything really. How much do you need?" He offers without much thought.

WindStruck
2015-06-09, 07:48 PM
Not really understanding the value of the money she just acquired, and certainly not that of a house, Shantae chimes in, "I'll help too! Say, where do your folks live? Are they nearby?"

Oddman80
2015-06-09, 07:54 PM
FINNY 2-10

Looking around the table with a practiced smile, Finny declares:
Erastil's Glory! Bless you All!
Billo, Ka'Sahn, Shantae - that is so generous of you. By Old Deadeye's aim, I swear you are the truest of friends.
And thank you Victor - your wisdom and kindness knows no bounds.

turning calmly to the gnome sitting beside him, Finny quietly adds in a patronizing tone,
Oh, and Boggli, don't fret.... I understand perfectly well how much your money means to you.

Turning to Shantae and Ka'Sahn, The Halfling pleeds ignorance-

Honestly - I have no idea how much a house costs, I hope that with your generous gifts, I will be able to get them a modest house. My father, Liam, is the butcher of the Pious Pig on Bent Street. My mum, Keeva, is a priestess in the humble little temple of Erastil over where High and Crab streets meet. The two of them live in a run down tenement house on Rat Alley - just north of the harbor, west of Main... It's where I grew up, but the place is falling apart. It's owned by the Scarnetti family - and they bleed the tenants dry without ever putting a copper back into that dung heap.

I can't believe I even considered doing anything else - As son as we're done here, I'm gonna go out and buy my folks a real house - the home they have long deserved. I'm sure you all have other things you want to do today. Whatever you want to donate - it will be truly appreciated. And if it turns out property is cheaper than expected, I will bring you a back your change.

We can meet back here this afternoon. Together we can surprise my folks. I want them to meet each and every one of you. Even you Boggli.

1337Noooob
2015-06-09, 08:35 PM
Boggli was stuck in a predicament. Apparently, Billo and Victor had pledged a fair share of their loot to help buy Finny's family a house. But now everyone seemed to be chipping in! Boggli was in a bad spot; either he admits that he was wrong and pays up, or he forever keeps his share of the loot and gets branded as an old miser. Boggli wasn't really a miser, and he certainly wasn't old! He was yet to be 88. That was a respectable young age for a Gnome like him... right? Boggli didn't know anymore. He'd lived the first 17 years of his life as a nuisance, and the other 70 as a loner. What was right?

He looked down at his empty plate of bacon. Thinking of the first thing that came up in his head, he said "So... you like pigs?"

Boggli tried to stop the words from exiting his mouth, but it was too late. Whatever his companions would think about that absurd statement would be up to them.

"Um, I mean, y'know what? I know how ya feel, workin' so hard and barely makings a copper to survive on, I can live with a bit less Shiny.

Still embarrassed, but hopeful he had made up for his selfish comment and his awkward question, Boggli went quiet again, fiddling with a strange vial with a color-changing liquid inside. He still had much to learn about the art of communication, but hey, better late than never.

Hatter
2015-06-09, 08:46 PM
Billo grumbles under his breath before sliding out of tje halfling's grasp. He quickly readjusted his askewed circlet and combed out his beard with his fingers.

"Heard something about a haunted lumbermill. Figured I could look into that after stopping by a shop to see if I can pick up some goggles! Never used that much fire magic in a short time before...I was seeing spots for hours!" Billo wraps his fingers around his eyes to simulate goggles.

WindStruck
2015-06-09, 08:49 PM
Brush hops closer to Boggli, tilting his head curiously. "Bacon is pigs, right?"

Meanwhile, as Shantae goes to the bar for a nice glass of warm cider, she overhears something about trolls in the forest attacking people or something. She also notices the dwarven minstrel singing her balad and approaches fairly closely with keen interest.

When the song is over, she asks, "That's a lovely song. What does it mean?" She couldn't understand Elven.

might be confusing because her hears are also pointed, though she isn't an elf

Smileybastard
2015-06-09, 08:52 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn sits at the table and orders food and looks baffled at the conversation that is going on.

redfeline
2015-06-09, 09:09 PM
"Oh thank you." She lowers her hands accidentally taping the empty plate. "Oh it is a sailors melody. Honestly, I prefer a good dwarven drinking song, but at this hours that doesn't net me much coin. Perhaps tonight I'll play a good bold dwarf song for you." She smiles pleasantly at you. Not a bad looking dwarf she has lightly bronzed skin, firey red hair, and very red lips. Perhaps a bit tall and thin for a dwarf, as they are usually more hardy.

WindStruck
2015-06-09, 09:16 PM
Shantae's eyes drop to the plate. "Oh! Right! I guess you perform for money too!" With a laugh she reaches in her bag and gives 2 gold coins to the woman. "Here! My friends and I just got a lot of money, so it's my treat! Hm. You think maybe we could work together sometime?"

She makes a few poses, indicating she was some kind of dancer.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-09, 11:21 PM
Victor smiles radiantly at Finny's outburst of gratitude and appreciation. Another good sign, my goddess. Your blessings are truly works of wonder. Victor also listens to his other companions as they begin to plan their day.

"I think I will accompany you, Finny, on your search for a suitable home. We will have to watch out for the wrong neighbourhoods, though. Why just now, when I was coming down the stairs I happened to overhear two ruffians talking about some sort of fight club, where there was some risk of not returning!"

Turning to Billo, Victor continues. "Billo, be sure to purchase goggles of high quality! I may be able to enchant them with some of my magic. I'd be wary of a location said to be haunted. The undead are vile creatures, but dangerous. Perhaps this might be worth investigating together as a group when we are all ready?"

Hatter
2015-06-09, 11:41 PM
Billo let out a sigh of disappointment "Ohhhhhhhh...I suppose I could wait on the haunted lumbermill! You know what? I think I'll just come along for the house shopping then. Mind if we stop by a store for some goggles and maybe look around for a few useful wands?"

Billo shoves one last few pieces of bread in his mouth before jumping up and shouting "Onward!" at the top of his lungs.

Oddman80
2015-06-09, 11:49 PM
Finny's heart starts racing with Victor and Billo's offers to accompany him {Aw crap! That's just what I need. Forget pocketing the extra cash... How am I gonna get the sale price down if Vicky The Saint is looking over me and keeping me from pulling of any of my usual schemes?}

Placing his hand on his heart as a sign of sincerity, Finny says to the two of them,

Awww - that is so sweet of you two to offer. But really, it isn't necessary. I'm sure you have better things to do with your day. Vic - Have you been to the local temple of Iomedae? Its not too far from here. Seriously, you don't have to worry about me - I know these streets like the back of my hand. The places i'd be looking for houses isn't anywhere near the market district. Billo - go do your shopping. Have fun. Honestly, Billo, I'd feel better if you stuck with Shantae today. I mean - you know how trusting she is - that is not a good thing to be when you don't know your way around a city... and Vic - please do me a favor and keep a watch over Boggli here. I mean - sure, we find him endearing, but he is certain to piss someone off with his erratic behavior if you aren't there to calm everyone down like you are so good at doing.

redfeline
2015-06-10, 12:17 AM
The Dwarven girls jaw parts ever so slightly for a moment upon seeing two whole gold pieces in her dish. "Why thank you. That was a very generous gift. More than I made all yesterday. Um just a bit of advice, I wouldn't mention that you have cash around here. Not every one in this tavern is honest." She glances over to Finny 2-10 and then moves her eyes to a pair under the stairs.

As Shantae goes into a few simple dance moves she smiles. Sounds fun, my name is Rita. However it will have to be some other time. I usually feed some deer across from the south east bridge. They will be hungry if I don't show this mourning. At that she departs the Rusty Dragon with a smile and a nod.

WindStruck
2015-06-10, 06:42 AM
Shantae laughs again when she follows the woman's eyes. "Oh that's just Finny. He's nice, I think." She waves Rita off and then bounces back to the table, nearly spilling cider.

"Heeey, what do you mean I'm trusting? And Boggli is erratic? Wait, is that a bad thing?"

Her bird, previously distracted by an awkward conversation of bacon and food turns back to Shantae. "Hey Shantae, I have a nice lumber mill to sell you. Do you want to buy it?"

"A lumber mill? When did you get one??"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-10, 09:33 AM
"You make a good point, Finny. You certainly seem to know your way around the city, so finding a home in a reputable area should be easy for you." Victor offers a friendly smile. "Let me know how much the house cost when you get back, and I will happily pay a share. Now,"

Victor thumps his hand heavily on the table, making his empty plate jump and rattle, "I believe we should discuss one other thing before we part ways for the day. If it is our intent to journey and face peril and adventure together, we should consider pooling some of our funds to supply the group with items that are of benefit to all. What say you, friends?"

Hatter
2015-06-10, 09:57 AM
Billo blinks. By all that burns! This fool is trying to swindle him again! No, Billo wont be falling for that trick again, no no no.

"I've already spent my -not immediately for Billo- fund. You're gonna have to look elsewhere bub. Ha! I know! Why not ask Shantae! I bet she's willing to share the whole pile!" Billo laughs before turning to grin at Shantae. He sits back down again and lifts up his coffee to hide his muttered "peon" at the way bottom of his breath.

1337Noooob
2015-06-10, 11:29 AM
OOC: Sorry for no dialogue or hiding of OOC. I'm in mobile and can't format

Remembering Billo chastising him only minutes earlier about generosity, Boggli found an opportunity to turn the tables.

Using his best impression of the smaller gnome, he mocked "But Billo! Where's the gnomish spirit of generosity? Eh? Ha! Anyway, you 'aint payin' much. We be poolin' together for all of us!

But I'm with him. I say we explore spooky mill"

Oddman80
2015-06-10, 11:50 AM
You know what Billo - you were the first to offer to help my parents out with their housing - and you were more than generous. But now that everyone else has offered to chip in - well, why don't we put half of what you offered me in to the group's coffer instead? Besides - if we really are going to get to the bottom of what's happening at the old lumber mill - we'll likely need that money to properly prepare. Vicky, here, should know all about that sort of thing though, right? I mean - if its really haunted with ghosts and stuff - that's right up your alley! I trust you can advise the group on what to purchase.

Finny stands up, holding up a finger, and look toward the rafters as if he's thinking of something. Looking suddenly at Victor, he begins:

Actually- Between what you were going to chip in and what Smiles offered for the house - you two don't need to give me any coin - just put that money right into the group's coffer as my share.

Motioning with his hand around the rest of the table, he continues:
I'll just collect the 500 each from Shantae, Ka'Sahn and Boggli - and hopefully i'll have enough to get my parents a respectable house before lunch!

Holding out his hand, waiting for the donations, Finny continues without missing a beat
Should we meet back here mid afternoon? I'll bring my parents and we can can all surprise them together.

Hatter
2015-06-10, 02:24 PM
Billo grinned at Boggli and held up his finger in a very matter of fact manner "I already shared my gold and that is plenty! BIllo must also have for Billo, you see!"

The red-head gnome turned his attention to Finny as he wiped his beard with the tablecloth, completing his meal. "Well! That works! I suppose I should just take myself shopping then!"

Billo got up out of his chair and made his way upstair to obtain the gold which belonged to him. When he came back down, he tossed a sack of coins at Finny with a wide grin before making his way towards the door with all the swagger of someone 3 times his size.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-10, 02:41 PM
When Billo dashes up the stairs, Victor turns to the remaining party members at the table.

"Well, I believe I will accompany Billo as he heads out shopping. I also plan to ask around about the Lumber Mill and the haunting there, it may be cause for more concern that we think. If you have no specific plans yourselves, you're welcome to accompany me as I go about the city. I'll be stopping at most of the major retailers around town to track down some items that should help us all as a team." Not waiting for a response, Victor rises and slings his Handy Haversack over his shoulders, and drops his hands to his hips, ensuring that his sword and mace are in their proper places. His shield is strapped to the outside of the pack, adding a certain bulk to his silhouette.

When Billo bounds down the stairs and out the door, Victor falls in step beside him, hoping that the rest of the group will join them.

Iomedae, guide Finnigan in his journey this day. Help him to choose the right path.

redfeline
2015-06-10, 03:32 PM
As Billo goes up the stairs a gruff looking human moves down the stairs almost tripping over the gnome. He continues down the stairs with a dirty look but with out any words, much less an apology.

Oddman80
2015-06-10, 04:18 PM
Such surliness seems unusual at this hour of the morning. Finny scrutinizes the human as he comes down the stairs to see if he has done anything untoward

Perception [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-06-10, 06:43 PM
Ka'Sahn

"They are makin' fun of you Shantae, but stick with me and if anyone cheats you, they will regret it."

Ka'Sahn nods when he hears the sum of 500 gold from him and heads upstairs and returns with the gold.

redfeline
2015-06-10, 06:49 PM
The human is Randal, a local dock worker and part time enforcer. You were wise to look at him because he has been known to pick a pocket. That said this time he didn't seem to. He leaves the Rusty dragon likely to get to that fight club he frequents.

WindStruck
2015-06-10, 08:22 PM
"Haunted? Why did you get the lumber mill then?"

The bird sighs. At least, as much as a bird can, anyway."I don't own one. It's abandoned!"

"Oh..."

Then the group begins talking about divvying up money each other's money even more. She was more than happy to donate to a friend for a specific cause, but for a little 'group' as a whole for something arbitrary? Besides, making the claim that all 6 of them would be sticking together all day for weeks on end seemed even hard to believe for Shantae.

"I dunno about that, Victor.. what exactly did you have in mind?" She sends Billo a scowl and her hair rises up threateningly, kind of like if someone were to make a fist, hold it up a bit, and shake it.

-

However, it seemed the group was about to depart, and Finny was already expecting some money. "Oh! Right! Let me go get that for you!" She got up right after Ka'Sahn and also went upstairs to her room to get the rest of her belongings.

Hatter
2015-06-11, 12:14 AM
Billo looked over his shoulder to see Victor following behind him and immediately turned, walking backwards with his hands in his pockets. "Coming along for the ride? Ha! Sure you want to be seen slumming it it with a known sorcerer? People dont quite like Billo's kind! We're all fire and doom and unpredictable!"

Billo grinned at Victor and offered a wink, showing that he really didn't care about people's opinions of sorcerers, much less people's opinions of him... or did he? The gnome slowed down enough to let Victor catch up beforqe falling in right next to the cleric.

redfeline
2015-06-11, 12:10 PM
As Shantae heads up stairs she pushes lightly on the door and finds it already unlock. Her gold pile mostly missing, a little over 3k gone.

WindStruck
2015-06-11, 06:12 PM
"Hey, wait a minute..." Shantae says, feeling the bag a couple times and then looking in it. "Oh my gosh! Someone did take the money! Well not all of it. That's strange..."

Brush can't stop laughing with glee. "Hahaha! I told you! I told you!!"

She grabs everything, and they hurry down, arguing on the way as well.

"You shut up. Not my fault this town is crawling with thieves!"

"You said it was a nice town."

"Right. A nice town. Crawling with thieves."

When she gets back to the others she says, "Finny! Someone took my money! Like, half of it, I think."

redfeline
2015-06-11, 06:25 PM
A quick count verifies that you are missing 3200 gold.

Smileybastard
2015-06-11, 06:43 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn rises from his chair upon hearing Shantae was robbed. "Who dare take Shantae's money!" His eyes scan the common room and thinks about who has gone up since she came down.

Intimidation [roll0] to scare the possible thief
Perception [roll1] to notice anything suspicious
Sense motive [roll2] to notice anyone respond to his intimidation or acting odd in general

Oddman80
2015-06-11, 07:12 PM
With his hand still outstretched, awkwardly waiting for Boggli, Ka'Sahn, and - yes, even Shantae - to fork over the pledged funds, Finny looks at the purple haired woman before him, and with a calm (nearly monotone) voice says:

Oh no, Shantae, that's completely ... predictable. A shame - sure. But, predictable and easily avoidable as well.

Finny walks around the table towards Shantae, putting an arm around her, all while continuing to hold his hand out for his promised gold.

Gorgeous - let me guess... Not only did you leave your coin purse in your room, but you left it in plain sight for anyone who walked in the door. You probably didn't bother locking the door to the room with the key that was given to you when we got you the room last night. And lastly - let's call it a hunch... Not 5 minutes ago, you told that Bard on the other side of the room about your sudden influx of Wealth... I am only guessing at this last one, as it was shortly after the bard stopped playing that a ruff-shod Cutpurse named Randal went upstairs. He's the one that bumped into YOU, Billo - and he's the only one outside our little group that's come down those steps... I suppose another guest could have been responsible, but I'll bet you 5 to 1, that if we track down Randal right now, we will find him far more wealthy than he's ever been.

If there's any solace to be had, The vile acts of this man have hopefully taught you a valuable life lesson about living in the city. At least he left you enough gold that you can keep your word and still have enough coin to live off of for years.

WindStruck
2015-06-11, 07:30 PM
"Oh.. right.. I guess I forgot to lock my door..." Shantae says, awkwardly rubbing the back of her neck. She looks quite dejected, even guilt-ridden listening to Finny's lecture.

And then she perks up. "Wait! You think that Randal guy took it? Let's go get him!"

The bird screeches, "More action?! Woohoo!"

Smileybastard
2015-06-11, 07:35 PM
Ka'Sahn

"Finny, stop harassing her, I'll cover her part."

~~

"First we should secure what we have and then we hunt him." With that Ka'Sahn heads upstairs."

Oddman80
2015-06-11, 08:19 PM
Well if that's the plan we'd better have the whole team.. Randal knows some pretty unsavory fellows - and the town isn't so big that one or two aren't within hollering range...

Ka'Sahn - while you get the rest of your cash, I'll run and get Smiles & the Saint .
Boom Boom, Gorgeous, you wait for the big guy and i'll meet you guys up on the north side of Turandarok Academy - The fight club Randal is likely going to is on the other side of town - If we hurry, we might be able to catch him before he makes it there.

With that, the Halfling dashes out of the Rusty Dragon and makes a bee-line for the Mercantile League nearby. He hopes that, given the early hour, the Bazaar is not yet as full as it becomes around mid-day. And that spotting the tall, armored cleric will not be too much of a challenge.

Do I even need to roll a Perception Check in order to see my companions when they aren't trying to be stealthy?
Eh, whatever - take 10, Perception = 22

WindStruck
2015-06-11, 08:28 PM
"North side of Turandarok Academy. Got it!"

Shantae turns about looking like she is rearing to go. Then again a different way...

"Um.. which way was that?"

Smileybastard
2015-06-11, 08:31 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn returns from upstairs. "I can find it."

PeacefulOak
2015-06-11, 10:59 PM
Victor walks in silence for a short while after Billo's question. When he speaks, his tone has changed to reflect the seriousness and the importance of his words. "Billo, you are my companion and my friend. You are a powerful ally, and a steadfast one. Each of us played a role in our victory against the thieves, and I have seen nothing of you that would suggest that I should think any less of you. If others are foolish enough to think differently, then that is their loss. Do not measure yourself by their stick."

Victor smiles at the gnome, and then glances ahead at the market. His smile broadens with a hint of playfulness dancing in his eyes. "Want to see something amusing? I have a spell that can force all within its range to speak no lies. Shall I cast it over the market?" Victor winks broadly at Billo, remembering the look on the face of the last merchant that tried to swindle him under the effects of the spell.

Hatter
2015-06-11, 11:06 PM
Billo laughs "Ha! Do it! Do it!" said the gnome with a big wide grin on his face.

The little gnome jumped up and down at the thought as his vigorouslt clapped his hands together, eager to see the results of the spell and he thought to himself just how much fun he would have, though he refrained from voicing that thought.

redfeline
2015-06-11, 11:18 PM
It doesn't take long for the party to meet up and regroup behind the academy. The sun was shineing bright as if to make up for the early sun sets. The trees were very green, and the shade they provided looked warm an inviting. The streets of the town seem pleasant, an average looker would scarcely suspect dark deeds such as pick pocketing, looting hotel rooms, and less pleasant things going on.

Hatter
2015-06-12, 12:57 AM
Arriving on scene with Victor, Billo absentmindedly played with a copper coin between his fingers as he stared up at the Academy. "Peons." muttered the gnome with a scowl on his face before recomposing himself and turning to grin at his companions.

"So! A robber, huh? When do I get to set some moron on fire?" asked the sorcerer as he glanced between his companions and then taking advantage of Victor's spell, he turned to look at Shantae and asked her quite bluntly. "Tell me, Shantae! Have you ever licked a frozen lamppost?"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-12, 01:28 AM
Victor

Victor stands tall in the morning sunlight, his armor, surcoat, and shield gleaming white and highlighting the flaming scale that is his crest. He had unlimbered his shield and strapped it on during the trip here, after Finnigan had advised him of the theft and the need to recover Shantae's lost gold. Knowing the competence and strength of his companions only fills him with greater energy.

Hearing Billo's question, Victor replies in a firm voice. "We'll give him a chance to do the right thing first, Billo. I've made the mistake of strike-first-ask-questions-later before, and I can tell you that the inside of a cell is no more entertaining than it sounds." He pauses for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "Finny, try to find out if our thief has passed this way yet, or if he has yet to come. Our course of action depends on that knowledge. Billo and Bogli, keep your skills ready but try not to do widespread damage. The city won't thank us for stopping a thief if we burn down a city block in the process. Ka'Sahn, we'll be relying on your might, both to intimidate our foe if he waffles, or to hold a line with me should things turn to battle. Shantae, you know your role better than I do in a conflict. Do whatever comes naturally."

Having spoken, Victor offers a quick mental prayer to Iomedae that all goes as planned. It is a prayer he says often, and even though it has never really worked he still hopes that someday Iomedae will see fit to grant this request.

WindStruck
2015-06-12, 06:57 AM
Shantae looks around, still quite unfamiliar with this town. "Alright, so where is this fight club..? And what do they do? Like, fight each other? What kind of club is that?"

Missing no opportunities to annoy his master, Brush perches on a tree branch and says, "Well there's only one rule about fight club."

"Hmm?"

"Sorry, I can't tell you. It's against the rules."

Oddman80
2015-06-12, 11:56 AM
His heart beginning to race, Finny tells Shantae:

Well - most of the club members aren't the ones doing the fighting - most of them just make money off of the ones doing the fighting.
Anyway - the clubs in a place called 'The Way North' - so I'll give you three guesses how to get there.

Turning then to Victor -
Its on the left, just past the Cathedral. I'll run as fast as I can up that way, and see if I can lay eyes on the brute. I'm not gonna confront him until the cavalry arrives, though. If we all went running after him, he'd certainly see us coming and take cover somewhere off the street. I'm little though - I can usually stay out of sight from you bigfolk.

Anyway - if I see him, I will do what I can to stall him.

Finny has 30' land speed. So using the Run Full Round Action , he should be able to go 120 ft/round or 1,200 ft/minute.

As for the Perception Check to spot Randal while running - Unless he is using Stealth, the DC to notice a visible creature is typically 0. But considering that running might be considered "Unfavorable Conditions" or something that would make me "Distracted", the DC to spot him on the street could start as high as 10.

Anything over the DC that I roll should equal the number of feet (x10) away from him, that I am when I first spot him.

Perception: [roll0]
Edit: Ouch! why didn't i take 10 on that?!?

#1 = Leave Rusty Dragon
Pink Path = Find Billo & Victor and meet up with rest of group at #2
#2 = Meet up with group
Yellow Path = Running route to The Way North
#3 = Stopping Point. From this point, if I have not yet noticed Randal, I should be able to spot him coming from as far away as 220 feet.
http://i.imgur.com/bsHBjWE.jpg

redfeline
2015-06-12, 02:00 PM
Victor gets queer looks of caution as he straps on his shield. One of the town guards frowns at him and clearly watches the group.

Mean while Finny runs ahead. After running over a mile. He is almost surprised to see Randal come out of the monastery less than 100 ft ahead. The brute is smiling and continues on his way to the club.

WindStruck
2015-06-12, 08:15 PM
Shantae takes off after Finny. She still was trying to follow him, but not running as fast (say double-move or hustle, but not a run action).

If she sees anyone suspicious or Finny or gets close to the place he mentioned (assuming she can find it) she'll slow back down to a casual walk. And I hope everyone else is coming at that pace too. :smallsmile:

Smileybastard
2015-06-12, 08:23 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn heads after Shantae, keeping pace with her.

Hatter
2015-06-12, 08:33 PM
"Are you serious right now? We're going on a run? Gah!" Yelled out Billo. With an itritated sigh, the gnome gathered up the hem of his robe and ran off after his companions, the whole way cursing about having to run in robes and people who think it's a grand idea to go on random runs to begin with.

He tried to somewhat keep pace but his short little legs didnt give him much room to do so. So, he lagged behind, grumbling "I'm going to turn that damn thief into charcoal!"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-12, 11:50 PM
Victor

Victor jogs along with the rest of the party, his armor clanking with each step. Preparing himself for the encounter ahead, he runs over the blessings and battle charms he was gifted this morning in his prayers. Though there was no need, it is a habit he had formed early in his adventuring career, ensuring that he always knew which spell to cast at which moment.

"Just remember," Victor says between clanks, "we want to try talking first. No opening blasts before we make our attempt."

WindStruck
2015-06-12, 11:54 PM
Shantae isn't really winded yet but still huffs, "I guess if he gives it back, I won't have to whip him."

Brush soars above casually and interjects, "Do it anyway and teach him a lesson for messing with your stuff! Only I'm allowed to do that!"

Hatter
2015-06-12, 11:54 PM
"What!?" Shouted Billo between labored breaths. "I have to run! Run! and I dont even get to blow anything up!?"

The gnome vented his frustraiton via unintelligible grunts, growls and aaars as he tried very hard not to trip on his robes.

"I like the way that feathered bbq thinks!"

Oddman80
2015-06-13, 11:23 AM
Finny continues approaching Randal as quickly as he can, while doing his best to keep at least one pedestrian between he and the brute to act as cover. As he gets closer, Finny sees the nicely plump looking coin purse strapped to Randal's rope belt, as his cloak flutters to and fro with each stride.

{you're making this TOO easy Randal...} Finny thinks to himself as he quickly come up with a strategy worthy of his nickname.

Spotting what he needs up ahed, Finny bends down and scoops up a handful of rubble at the edge of the road, before making his way over to Randal. When he's only 10 feet back from the man, Finny lobs the rubble up over the head of the thug, aiming for the wall of a building on the opposite side of his mark. As the rubble reaches the peak of it path, Finny swoops in, timing his contact within a split second of the distracting noise of the rubble's impact. Sliding his right hand under the cloak and pulling the string tie, the his left hand moves to support the purse so it does not fall or make a sound.

As soon as the purse is free, Finny slows his pace and turns to the left, using his own body to hide the purse, while letting Randal's own stride create distance between he and Finny. With one last fluid motion, the coin purse is slipped into a large inside pocket of Finny's jacket, and 2-10 makes his way towards the nearest shop, where he will take cover until his allies arrive.

Stealth (take 10) = 26 for the approach

Steal/Sleight of Hand to lift the coin purse (take 10) = 29
(Randal takes a penalty of -2 to his opposed perception due to Filcher ability "Quicker than the Eye")

Sleight of Hand to stash the purse in jacket pocket (take 10) = 29
(Randal takes a penalty of -2 to his opposed perception due to Filcher ability "Quicker than the Eye")

redfeline
2015-06-13, 10:07 PM
Randal keeps walking unaware of the missing pouch. After a dozen or so feet he is suddenly aware of his missing pouch and turns around. He looks about as if he dropped it and it may still be on the ground. After a few moments he storms back to the monastery.

When the pouch is checked it has 1700 gp worth of coin and gems in it.

1337Noooob
2015-06-14, 01:00 AM
After a while of running, Boggli Bibblebumplost sight of Finny. He saw the culprit, Randal, in the distance, looking down at his belt, infuriated about some missing item. When 2-10 called him into the shop and he observed the large sack he possessed, his suspicions were confirmed.

"Got 'em, eh? Got th' shiny back? Guess we're not blowing him up? Well, ya gonna give it back to th' lady?

Oh ya, speakin' of money, I got some coin to give." Putting down his rucksack, Boggli rifled through it's contents, casually throwing them behind his back as he searched.

"Snake Venom, Poison Ivy, no idea what that is, Beard Hair from a Djinn, Ah! Here ya go! The Rest is mine" he said, dumping an obscene amount of coin into the Halfling's hand. If anyone was watching the exchange, which many certainly were, and if there was not a group including an Axe-Wielding Half-Orc behind them, they might have felt inclined to assault the two small individuals.

WindStruck
2015-06-14, 02:39 AM
So Boggli went running full-tilt despite what Finny said to do. Shantae didn't notice at first, but then she hoped he wouldn't mess up Finny's plan.

When she did get to the street, seeing a large building plainly in view (must be the monastery) she also noticed Boggli exchanging a large sum of money with Finny.

Looking around, she trots up to the two midgets. "Uh.. hey. Did you lose him?" she asks.

Hatter
2015-06-14, 02:43 AM
"Why are we stopping!?" Exclaimed Billo as he came to a halt behind Shantae. He leaned sideways and saw the other gnome and the halfling.

"Oh... we went the cloak and dagger method, huh?" said Billo, more of a statement than a question as he fidgeted with his now windblown and sweaty hair in some attempt at fixing it.

Oddman80
2015-06-14, 08:05 AM
Taking the barrage of incoming coin, and stashing it in his pockets as quickly as possible, Finny responds to Boggli's antics with an exasperated whispered yell through clenched teeth.

Curses, Gnome! You have all the subtlety of a Mastodon! Gather up all your crap and stow it. We got into this mess in the first place due to oversharing.

With that last word, Finny nods towards Shantae as she enters the shop.

Hey Gorgeous, I got your coin back for you - try to hold onto it this time.

With that, Finny tosses the bag of gold he had lifted over to the witch.

Don't think its ALL there - but most of it is. From what I saw, Randal doesn't have the rest either... I have a suspicion where it might be... But if I am correct, I doubt it is worth trying to recover at this point.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-14, 10:53 AM
Victor stepped into the shop behind his teammates, then turns and stands next to the door, watching for any potential trouble. Glancing over his shoulder, he sighs in response to Boggli's mess.

"Finny, I take it to mean that you succeeded in recovering the funds? Excellent. I worry though that if this 'Randal' goes un-chastised, he may choose to target us a second time, perhaps with a stronger cohort. Where is it that you believe the balance of Shantae's wealth lies?"

Victor returns his gaze to the street outside, paying no mind for the moment to the shop-keep or other patrons, though he knows they may need to face consequences for their actions later. A thought occurs to him as he looks out. Blessed Iomedae, the plan so far has worked! Is your lesson, then... that I needed to seek out the right companions? That your greatest work is work through others? I hear you holy one. A second glance back at the group shows a contented smile on Victor's face.

WindStruck
2015-06-14, 11:09 AM
Shantae smiles. "Oh, thanks!" Looking into the bag and hearing the news, though, it sort of waned, kind of in acceptance of defeat. "Hmm..."

As, she begins counting the gold, something begins to click. "Do you think he was also robbed while coming over here? Seems I lost about half my gold, but then so did he."

1337Noooob
2015-06-14, 11:26 AM
"Heh. Gotta face life head on, I always say! Anyway, we teachin' that Randy a lesson or not?

Wait, whatd'ya mean th' shiny 'aint all there? You hidin' somethin' from us? Ha!"

Boggli was mostly joking about the foul play, but you never know around that Halfing!

As Victor arrived, he mentioned something about giving chase to the thief. This caught Boggli's attention, and he turned to the Cleric and said

"Wait! Victah! What was that about "Chastising" or whatever? Does that mean we can explode 'em?"

WindStruck
2015-06-14, 11:36 AM
Brush wags his head up and down. "Yeah! Explode 'em! Explode 'em!"

Shantae sighs and says, "We're going to get in trouble if we do that..."

Oddman80
2015-06-14, 02:08 PM
Finny gives the Boom Boom the stink eye
I'm not even...
Before turning his attention to Victor

I don't see how he would of had time for more than one stop, and when I first spotted the cretin, he was coming out of the monastery, back a block or so towards the academy.

Finny starts heading back over to the window to make sure the coast is clear, as he continues.

...But the brotherhood of devotees found behind those walls are not like the religious scholars I'm sure you were surrounded with during your days serving in one of---

Finny sees Randal making his way back down the street "AW BALLS!!"

Finny quickly turns around motioning for the group to make their way further into the shop.
It looks like our friend has finally realized he was missing something. He's likely retracing his steps back to the monastery now. It's your call Vic.

WindStruck
2015-06-15, 12:40 AM
Shantae sighs and says, "You know, I've still got a lot left. Maybe it isn't worth it..."

"Oh cmon Shantae, you're still missing what, two thousand gold pieces? Do you know how much shampoo you can buy with that? Or peanut butter?"

Hatter
2015-06-15, 12:47 AM
"Not to mention the sheer amount of fire I get to sling around!" Billo said with a grin at Shantae. "Don't you worry! We'll get that gold back!.....and I'll get to set morons on FIRE!"

Billo cleared his throat after his sudden outburst and quickly recomposed himself, tugging on his collar as he did so. He turned his attention to Victor as if waiting on the priest to agree with him.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-15, 09:33 AM
Victor hears Finny's confirmation that the gruff looking man on the street is Randal. Thoughts flying, he turns and glances around the room quickly. Noting the shopkeeper and any other patrons, he lowers his voice and speaks urgently.

"This is our opportunity to get Randal alone. The goal is to get him to tell us where the rest of Shantea's treasure is. Ka'Sahn and Shantea, go out the back and loop around to the side alley we passed on our way here. Finny, I want you to go out there and get the brute to follow you into the alley. As soon as his back is turned, th gnomes and I will follow him to make sure he can't turn tail and run."

Victor looks into the eyes of his companions, seeking their confidence in the plan.

"If there are any questions make it quick, this chance won't come again. If not, then let's get moving."

Oddman80
2015-06-15, 01:04 PM
Finny Snaps to attention and solutes the Cleric with exaggerated flourish. "Aye AYe Cap'n!" he hollers, before turning about face and marching towards the door. With a hand on the door handle, Finny looks back at the rest of the group.

"You all better be where you say yer gonna be - I don't much feel like getting beaten bloody today, let alone dying face down in piss-soaked alleyway... Its probably best you two come out just after me" he says, motioning towards Shantae and Ka'Sahn. "I'll distract the thug, and give you a chance to duck into the alley unobserved."

As the halfling opens the door, he sees Randal walking by. Taking a deep breath, Finny shakes his head and mutters, "Tally-ho", before walking out the door. Finny crosses the street, and actually goes a little further north - away from Randal. When he reaches the shop across the way, he turns and calls out loudly to the brute "Hey Randal, wait up! My little legs can't keep up with you - jeez!" With this, Finny slow-jogs towards the goon, while feigning being out of breath.
"Where are ya going??? I thought you were heading to... uh... you know where, for... you know what. You forget something?"

redfeline
2015-06-15, 02:52 PM
Randal quirks an eyebrow. Finny you little bugger. What is it to you where I go? OH let me guess, some idiot let slip the job I have later, well guess what we don't need you or those "supposed skills" you keep going on about. So shove off and leave me alone. With that he continues to walk retracing his steps.

Oddman80
2015-06-15, 04:15 PM
Supposed skills?...
SUPPOSED SKILLS?!?

Finny runs up ahead of Randal, turning around to face him and puts both hands up in a 'stop right there' manner

"What do you mean 'SUPPOSED' skills? Who you been talkin to? Knuckles? Skinny Joe? Atoz the A-hole? - you know you can't trust anything that dirty tusker says."

Seeing that Randal is losing patience, Finny begins walking backwards, staying about 10' in front of the thug. Empty hands, palms up towards the human.

I want in on the Job. I GOT skills. But don't take my word for it, I'll show you.

With a wave of his hands, Finny suddenly appears to be holding a platinum coin between the thumb and forefinger of each hand. As he sends the coin tumbling across the knuckles of his right hand his left hand performs a minor manipulation, resulting in 4 new platinum coins now being held in that hand - a coin held in the space between each of his digits. From there, he begins juggling the coins with both his hands. With another quick shake of his hands, he begins juggling them with just his right hand - sending the coins higher and higher. With an over exaggerated gesture, he appears to throw all of the coins up in the air - (in this brief moment of extreme misdirection, Finny unfastens Randal's rope belt and pulls the man's pants down around his ankles, before running as fast as he can towards the alley) - by the time the coins hit the ground anyone watching would notice that the falling coins were merely copper.

Standing in front of the Alley, Finny calls out to Randal "You still think my skills are only 'supposed'? HA!"

redfeline
2015-06-15, 05:17 PM
Randal says "Real cute Finny" right as he tosses the coins up. Contrary to popular belief Randal never goes off half cocked. Finny pulls the belt knot lose and takes the cord with him.
[roll0] reflex to catch pants before it hits the ground.

Randal manages to catch his pants unfortunately he doesn't catch his prize possession before it hits the ground. As it does so to thunderously loud cracks are heard and 2 bullets fly off into the near by building. Randals face turns bright red. He reaches down and pulls up his pants. Takes a few steps toward Finny and stops. Fine you win, just come here and I'll give you what you want. He walks over to his fire arm picks it up and shoves it back into his pocket.

Smileybastard
2015-06-15, 05:40 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn heads out the back and loops around to the side alley as instructed, pulling out his greatsword as he goes. "Might be funny to let Finny get beat up one of these days."

Oddman80
2015-06-15, 10:37 PM
Finny jumps at the sound of the pistol going off.
By the Wasp's three daggers, man! Oh... Calistria must be smilin' down upon you today, ya daft bastard. You know you coulda gone and blown your manhood right off, carryin' a hand cannon around like that. Haven't you ever heard of a holster!?!?

Hatter
2015-06-16, 12:08 AM
Billo sticks close to Victor as he contemplates the variety of spells that he could use against the moron who thought it was a great idea to steal from a group of well armed individuals.

He stroked his beard for a moment before looking up at the cleric. "Let's go! I want to set something....someone...on fire!"

redfeline
2015-06-16, 12:56 AM
Oh you mean that little pocket that attaches to the belt you just ripped off? I'd just suggest you be more careful about making people drop stuff, next time it may be an alchemist and all his bombs. He motions Finny close and takes back his belt. "You and your skills need to meet us at 5pm, lost coast road, south. Oh and bring a shovel. " With that he heads off greatly annoyed back to the way north.

Oddman80
2015-06-16, 06:56 AM
Wait!
Finny calls after Randal as he walks away.
North of the Gate or South of the River?

PeacefulOak
2015-06-16, 08:45 AM
Victor watches as the conversation between Randal and Finny extends, barely flinching at the gunshot. The longer they talked, the less likely it seemed that the thug would be following Finny into the alley, particularly as the thug kept trying to leave.

"Why can't things just go according to plan?" Victor sighs heavily, then looks over at Billo. "Looks like we won't be burning anything for now, Billo. We may have to call this off, as we can't just accost him in the middle of the street."

Victor pauses, carefully eyeing the distance between Randal and himself. I wonder... Maybe I can help Finny out!

redfeline
2015-06-16, 09:43 AM
South gate, remember we are expecting you just after dark. Randal walks away to the north.

Oddman80
2015-06-16, 10:08 AM
Flustered by the unexpected turn of events, Finny begins walking back to the coin exchange - keeping one eye on Randal as he walks away, until catching sight of Victor. He nods to Vic - letting him know he's heading over to Shantae & Ka'Sahn in the alleyway.

{Bring a shovel?... hmmmm... that could be bad...} he thinks to himself as he walks slowly, head down, towards the others.

Seeing Shantae in the alley, the Halfling shrugs,

Well that didn't go how I thought it would. On the bright side, he didn't shoot me and he doesn't appear to be heading back to the monastery any more. On the down side, however, he is expecting me to either join him in some sort of criminal activity this evening, OR Dig my own grave before he kills me... Still not too clear on that last part.... I hope it's not the latter....

redfeline
2015-06-16, 04:36 PM
As Finny gets inside the clerk turns to him. Why would you so carelessly allow one of those fire arms to go off. And just outside my business. I maynot have any more customers today because of you. Oh you stupid halfling! The clerk suddenly gasps before she continues. Oh now look what you've done. You've gone and made me racist. Oh this is such a bad day. She holds her hand to her face in a manner that almost makes you think she will bite her nails, which are otherwise well groomed. She looks at the group with a brief pause. Well are you going to ask for a service or are you going to get out?

After a few moments she shoves out some random kids.

WindStruck
2015-06-16, 08:08 PM
"Hmm, that sounds interesting... you think treasure hunting? Or graverobbing? Ick," Shantae says, making a face.

"I guess that guy doesn't have the rest of the money. You think he left it in there?" She peers up at the walls of the monastery, walking closer to it.

perception: [roll0]

Meanwhile Brush mutters under his breath how he didn't get to witness an ass whooping and explosions.

Smileybastard
2015-06-16, 08:13 PM
Ka'Sahn

"Why would we want to join him in some criminal activity?" Ka'Sahn leans on his greatsword. "Why would we trust people who stole from us and know we have gold?"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-16, 09:06 PM
Rolling his shoulders with a loud rustling sound, Victor beckons to Billo and Boggli as he follows Finny into the alley. With the summer heat rising the smell in the alley is unappetizing to say the least, and Victor trips over some rubble as he attempts to cover his nose.

"What happened out there, Finny? From where I stood, it looked like he was offering you a job?" As he spoke, Victor loosens the straps on his shield and removes it, letting his backpack slip from one shoulder so he can attach the shield there once more.

Hatter
2015-06-16, 11:33 PM
Billo followed shortly behind Victor. Ever the one for finery, tje stench of the alley did not bode well for Billo at all. He held his sleeve up against his nose with a highly disgusted look upon his face "Ugghh... Don't know what's worse. That bandit hideout or this alley...disgusting...look! There's some weird grime on my boots! Ewwwwwww! Victor! Gimme something to wipe my boots with! Quickly before it seeps into the leather and it's too late!"

Oddman80
2015-06-16, 11:49 PM
Turning his attention to Victor as he stumbled towards the group, Finny says:

I was just telling Shantae and Ka'Sahn, here. Randal's got some sort a gig going on - but I don't know what it is. He stayed a bit tight lipped on that matter.

I swiped the guys belt hoping he'd give chase - but no luck. It did leave an impression though - just not sure what type. The guy either offered me a job this evening... Or is plotting to kill me. Either way, if I show up south of town this evening to meet up with him {gulp} I'm supposed to bring a shovel...

With that, Finny collapses dramatically to the ground, back against the side of a building, knees in the air, arms resting across them, with his head hung low.

I'm thinking I liked my earlier plan for the day... Wasn't I gonna buy my folks a house or something?..What the hell happened?...

WindStruck
2015-06-17, 07:38 AM
"Oh, that's right!" Shantae says. "Finny.. you've gotten back more gold than I was even going to offer you for that house. Here, keep it." She hands the re-pilfered sack of gold to Finny.

"Awwww..." Brush says, feigning a mushy sort of audience reaction.

"And actually, I think one of you had better hold onto the rest for now. I want to see what happened in this monastery." She hands the bag containing the rest of her gold to Kha'Shan, then knocks on their doors.

redfeline
2015-06-17, 12:42 PM
As Shantae knocks on the door a few moments go by before a large wood beam is herd on the other side of the door. Out through the door steps a few stereotypical monks, shaved heads orange robes. Seems the local sect is very traditional despite modern advances in alchemy, fire arms, and magic.

What can I do for you mam? Says the taller male monk.

Smileybastard
2015-06-17, 06:15 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn looks annoyed that no one seemed to have heard his comments at all.
~
He takes Shantae's money with a smile, tucking it away to keep it safe.

WindStruck
2015-06-17, 06:46 PM
Shantae looks up at the taller monk nervously. "Uh, h-hi... soo, uh, a man was in here just a little while ago. I think he stole a lot of money from my room at the Rusty Dragon Inn. Did he happen to donate any to you, or did you.. um.. take some of it??"

Because if they were top-notch thieves, they'd totally tell the truth right? Shantae didn't really know what to do except ask them point blank. Awkward. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIObw5uY31U)

redfeline
2015-06-17, 11:15 PM
Do you mean Randal? The large monk turned to the smaller monk.

I think he just left but he didn't make a donation. the smaller monk replied. He just visited a few of the brothers and sisters.

Do you know which ones?

No, not really.

Probably the ones that go to that activity. The monk turns back to Shantae. I am sorry but we can't help you at this time.

WindStruck
2015-06-17, 11:21 PM
"Do you mean that thing called fight club?" Shantae blurts out. She begins to cover her mouth but stops midway. "Oh wait, that's supposed to be some kind of secret, isn't it?"

Brush flies on top of her head and pecks at it. "Well it won't be a secret for long now that you know about it."

Hatter
2015-06-17, 11:25 PM
Billo stood a good bit back but close enough to hear Shantae speak with the monks. He looked up at Ka'Sahn and said with a cheerful voice. "Well! This should be interesting! Huh?"

Smileybastard
2015-06-18, 05:38 AM
Ka'Sahn

"What activity?" asks Ka'Sahn, getting right to the point.

Smileybastard
2015-06-18, 05:39 AM
Ka'Sahn

Billo stood a good bit back but close enough to hear Shantae speak with the monks. He looked up at Ka'Sahn and said with a cheerful voice. "Well! This should be interesting! Huh?"

Ka'Sahn look down at Billo and grins. "I certainly hope so."

PeacefulOak
2015-06-18, 11:24 AM
Victor stands to one side of the group, watching the conversation between Shantea and the monks carefully. Unfamiliar with this order of monks, he was not sure what might put them at risk with them. Under his breath, he murmured "Carefully, Shantea. We don't want to offend them."

Without taking his eyes from the scene before them, he spoke. "Finny, is there anything I should know about these monks? Oh, and how does the city respond to spells cast in public? I've had problems in the past in smaller towns."

redfeline
2015-06-18, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately yes on both accounts. We don't partake but many of our brothers and sisters do. I wish they wouldn't, but some of us are more dedicated to the monastery's goals of peace than others. He pauses. I'll ask around today, if I find out who has it. I will explain it was stolen and try to get it back to you tomorrow. That is the most help I can offer. Will you be in town long?

Oddman80
2015-06-18, 01:56 PM
Finny makes his way through the taller bodies before him, popping out between Ka'Sahn and Shantae, shaking his head slowly in scorn, before looking up to the monk at the door and saying

That has to be the most disheartening thing I've heard all week. That tone of resignation in your voice when talking about your brothers' and sisters' vices.... Look - I might not be the purest or most honorable of men in Sandpoint - but I've never taken any vow's to uphold the types of ideals that you all have. I've done some things that were morally questionable in my life, but every time I'd see one of you Orange Lotus monks, I'd feel a pang of regret for some of those decisions...

You know, today... I... I've been trying to sort out a bunch of stuff... he says pointing up to his head. I've been thinking of making a few changes in my life... But then to hear you talk about your own order with such a sense of helplessness - not just accepting the presence of the damn fight club in the city - but partaking in it - Gambling on others' pain and... and... suffering?... Taking money from crooks!... Money stolen from HEROES with this last word, Finny motions with a big wave of his arm towards the three big folk behind him. He then lets his arm flop down to his side, and hangs his head in apparent sorrow. As he begins to turn around to walk away back past his party members, he says softly,IF you can't count on a brother of the Orange Lotus to uphold this city's laws, I don't know why I should even bother trying.
Sticking his hands in his pockets, Finny starts heading away from the monastery, kicking a pebble on the ground after a couple of paces. With his back turned to the monks, he smirks as he awaits the inevitable response from the sure to be guilt-ridden monk.

WindStruck
2015-06-18, 06:11 PM
Shantae listens to Finny unload his inspirational rant. Or at least that's the best way she could describe it. It sort of made her blush. She shuffles her feet a bit and says, "Uh, yeah. Heroes I guess. Did you hear about that cult of supposed dragon worshipers that stole a bunch of priceless diamonds? We're the ones that dealt with them and got it back. But there wasn't really a dragon. It was just a fake..."

Then Shantae turns directly to the tall monk. "Anyway, if you'd talk to them about that, and if they took a bunch of money from Mr. Randal, I'd like it back, please... I'm not sure if I'll end up leaving this town, but I should be here a few days."

redfeline
2015-06-18, 06:25 PM
The monks look at each other abashed. Yes well we will do what we can.

WindStruck
2015-06-18, 06:32 PM
Shantae smiles and says, "Thanks! I'll drop by tomorrow morning, I guess..."

Then she hesitates a bit wondering what to do next. "Uh, so, goodbye?"

Brush whispers, "You're supposed to bow."

Shantae bows to the tall monk.

"To each one, it's rude not to acknowledge them."

She then starts to position herself before each one making a bow, while Brush would be grinning ear to ear.. if he had a mouth or ears.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-18, 07:38 PM
Victor, having seen Finnigan's out-of-character outburst and display of genuine affection for Shantea, follows the halfling as he walks away, casting a hard look at the monks standing in the doorway. Catching up, he drops an arm around the slumped shoulders of his companion.

"Don't let some unscrupulous monks challenge your beliefs, Finny. It gladdens my heart that you have been considering changes, and I believe I have seen those changes in action. I heard you referring to our allies as..." Victor chuckles, "heroes. What I think you forgot is that you are one of us, Finny. You, too, are a hero. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and I have seen my share of them. Trust me when I say that you are counted among the ranks of heroes."

Victor waits a moment for that to sink in, trusting on faith that the halfling is taking him seriously.

"Now, I think we had some more heroism on the schedule for the day. Shall we purchase a home for your family?"

Oddman80
2015-06-18, 08:11 PM
Perception to hear Victor walking up behind me, so I could wipe the smirk off my face before his arrival
[roll0]
Finny Chuckles at Victors hammy attempt to cheer him up

Nah... I'm not a hero... I only went with you guys to clear my name in all of it. I didn't want to go to prison - the guards in this town will only take so much of my antics before evidence starts appearing out of thin air....
Boggli.... Billo... I think they just went along cuz it gave them a chance to blow people up without getting put in the clink themselves - and to be honest, I don't even know if the threat of that is gonna keep them in check anymore... They kinda give me the willies.
But you... Shantae... Ka'Sahn... You guys will put your lives on the line to help total strangers - simply cuz you think it's the right thing to do. The fact that we made a profit after the whole ordeal seemed to be just a happy bonus for you guys.
I'm just not there yet... I'm no hero. Don't fool yourself.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-18, 08:31 PM
[roll0] Sense motive to see if I have a feeling of dishonesty from Finny

"Heroic acts don't always require heroic motivations, my friend." Victor smiles looks ahead as he speaks, thinking back on his early adventures. His sense of self-righteousness had gotten him into more problems than situations of heroic grandeur. "And the rewards consistently make the challenge and risk worthwhile. Even when those you help do not appreciate it, the creatures that can threaten the safety of the innocent often have their own stores of ill-gotten gains. As Iomedae says, to the victor go the spoils."

Victor runs a hand over his breastplate, then lets that settle on the hilt of his enchanted sword. Beyond that, though, is the advantage of having skilled compatriots to watch your back and assist you in your endeavors. I have some skill at infusing items and war-gear with magic, and to my friends I offer that service for nothing more than the cost of the materials." Victor smiles, imagining a look of shock on his roguish friend's face at the idea of doing something for nothing. "Just as you, free of charge or duty, chose to chase down a ruffian and accost him, alone, to recover the treasure lost by Shantea!"

Oddman80
2015-06-18, 08:47 PM
Finny choses to bite his tongue and not mention that despite KaSahn's offer to cover her share, he had been pretty sure Shantae's donation to his 'house fund' would be considerably larger if she had more to give. He did like the sound of that magic infision talk Victor had tossed out there - so better to not stir the pot.

Yeah... Huh... Maybe you have a point there
Finny says as he straitened his posture and begins walking with a little strut in his stride

WindStruck
2015-06-18, 08:53 PM
After Shantae's antics with the monks, she catches up to the others in their spirited conversation about heroes and morals.

"Hey guys! So, were we still going to look for a house?"

Hatter
2015-06-18, 09:01 PM
Billo looks toward Shantae and answers here question as he vigorously wipes his boot against the wall with pure disgust upon his face. "I don't care what we do but let's get out of this disgusting part of town! Ugh!"

Oddman80
2015-06-18, 09:38 PM
Finny gets a little nervous that everyone seems to tag along on his House Hunt.

Guys - seriously - you have already done more than enough to help Finny says while patting one of his coin purses. Then looking back at Victor, continues

But... If we're gonna do something that might help this Town out, and not just my folks - then we better be prepared. If that Mill is really haunted - we're gonna need some supplies. Vic - I think you had some ideas with regard to purchases the group should make. I think you should probably keep to that plan. we haven't lost much time this morning - I can still get the house today.. we might just need to hold off on the surprise party until tomorrow morning. Lets meet back at the Rusty Dragon for dinner. Fill our stomachs before we set off to check out the mill, Ok?

WindStruck
2015-06-19, 01:29 PM
"Hm, I guess that will work..." Shantae says thoughtfully. But she didn't know how to fill the rest of her time that day and didn't know what to buy. Especially with a large chunk of that bounty gone.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come? I don't think there's anything better for me to do."

"Why don't you beat some people up at the fight club?"

"Are you serious? I don't want to fight people just for.. uh, I dunno! Plus it's illegal."

"So?"

1337Noooob
2015-06-19, 08:21 PM
Tired of all the conversation, Boggli slowly trailed behind his party. Everyone else was so set to talk to Randal and negotiate with the monks, but Boggli just wanted to go!

Why can't we just blow 'im up? Dumb brute 'aint mean nothin'? Instead we just be bein' pretty for this monk! he thought to himself.

It seemed like Billo had similar thoughts as him. A little relieved to have another so alike, an adventurous gnome ready to make things explode, Boggli continued to put up with the niceties the others in his group were so keen on.

After their visit to the monastery, Boggli was about to fall asleep from boredom when the talk seemed to shift back to . For the first time in a few hours, Boggli finally spoke something other than "Can we be gettin' goin' now?"

"We gettin' ready to explores the mill now? Soun's good Fin! Yea, I could purchase some Gizmos befor' we git goin' too. What kinda stuff ya thinkin' of getting?"

Smileybastard
2015-06-19, 08:21 PM
Ka'Sahn

"I have to admit the fight club sounds more interesting than shopping." Shrug.

1337Noooob
2015-06-19, 08:32 PM
"Can you make things go boom in fight club? Or is it just fighting?"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-20, 05:40 PM
Victor nods sagely at Finny's words, remembering his prior thoughts.

"You speak the truth, my friend. It occurs to me however that for myself, this time could be well spent in contemplation over Iomedae's chosen weapon, to grant it some of the power that lies within her domain." Victor rests a hand almost lovingly on the hilt of his longsword.

"To that end, could you point me towards a store where an item of focus could be obtained? I had heard tell of an amulet that was termed 'Amilary'. Such are said to focus the mind on the task of channeling magical energies."

Oddman80
2015-06-20, 08:10 PM
Finny happily guides the group to the Mercantile Legue's southern gate. And pointed out a couple of the nearest vendors of magical curiosities, before excusing himself from the group to take care of his 'errands'.

Smileybastard
2015-06-20, 08:39 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn sighs. "I guess I should go shopping as well, as nothing else seems to be going on. Any suggestions as to what I should get? I was thinking a glaive, a longer weapon to be able to reach enemies easier. Better armor?"

WindStruck
2015-06-21, 08:41 AM
Shantae reluctantly follows the others to the merchant district or wherever it was they were going. She didn't know what to buy at first but then when thinking about being stolen from she said, "Maybe I can get a magic bag? It would be a lot more convenient to keep everything with me then..."

redfeline
2015-06-21, 11:25 PM
@Finny

Around 11 am, Finny is finally almost to The Way North however he is distracted outside The White Deer. A table has been tossed out the window, blood is in the street, and a guard is still talking to the owner. The people seem to be calm in the streets. What ever happened must of happened a while ago.

@Shopping Troop, Team Awesome!

As the crew makes their way to yet another stall, the group has purchased most of the items they wanted. (For each item roll a d100. The highest two rolls, still have to find their items.) Guards start moving about the markets asking people if they have seen Phillatese. People start talking about a violent crime he committed.

Oddman80
2015-06-22, 12:16 AM
Finny doesn't have time to waste... But he also doesn't want to get pinched for 'snooping around a crime scene' if he were to head back through the alley between the 'White Deer' and the 'Way North' without findinging out what went down first.

Finny scans the street for anyone (other than the guard and owner) who may be lingering around and from whom he could find out what had gone down.

Hatter
2015-06-22, 12:20 AM
Billo casually counted through a handful of silver pieces as he walked with the group, taking special care to stand next to the brute, Ka'Sahn. "Need to find me some nice looking bracers, maybe even a fancy cloak for fanciness' sake! Ha! Billo will have all the ladies!"

He quirked a brow as he looked towards Shantae "Well, not ALL the ladies." he smirked and looked back to his coins, switching hands and recounting them again. "Don't want any long skinny trees. No. Perfectly happy with short and fluffy gnome girls....Maybe even a Dwarf if I fancy the adventure! Ha! Maybe a trip to the beothel is warranted! What say you, Ka'Sahn? Boggli? How about you, Victor? Care to wet your whistle with paid entertainment?"

WindStruck
2015-06-22, 12:30 AM
Shantae folds her arms and glares at Billo. It's not clear if it's because she's outright rejected for being a 'skinny tree' or because of all the talk about women and prostitutes.

Brush, on the other hand, tilts his head and asks, "Wet your whistle? On the entertainment? My gods you are a sick, twisted, perverted midget."

Hatter
2015-06-22, 12:35 AM
Billo just grins at the bird and says "Can't say I'm terribly offended by that descriptor, Chicken Fry! Ha!"

redfeline
2015-06-22, 01:38 AM
Finny finds a fairly regular tavern patron to talk to. You've seen the person before, but never asked him his name before. Meanwhile Octavius the owner of the white deer continues to talk to the guard.

In response to your question he begins. Oh, the window and such? Was a bar brawl, and not the normal kind either. No this one was big, something about money on the line or some such. Any how big brute of a guard and a dock worker went at it. Other people started in and... well the window got broke. Pitty that. Gone have the place closed till a new one o'rives.

Oddman80
2015-06-22, 10:05 AM
Finny thinks to himself {That IS a pity... it means the Rusty Dragon is gonna be extra crowded tonight and with a slightly Rougher and Smellier crowd than normal...} before thanking the man and continuing on with his Rat Collection plan.

{hmmm.. With all those extra bodies at the Rusty Dragon... it sure would make lifting purses easy... I might just be able to 'find' Shantae's last missing coin... Ha! that might be pushing even our luck there, Finny.... hmmm.. pushing our luck.... you know we got lucky making it through that band of cultists unscathed... If we really are investigating a haunted Mill tonight... we may want to pick up some 'contingency plans' at the Feathered Serpent and the Mercantile League before heading out... otherwise we really will be pushing our luck! Yeah.. lets get us some potions... After all, we're gonna have a ton of extra cash after we pull this house scam... we can even tell the group that its for everyone! That will score some points with Vic!... Oh... right... the rats... }

redfeline
2015-06-22, 11:43 AM
As Finny arrives at The Way North, he finds two guards walking about the building. The entire place seems deserted. A notice sits on the front door. "This Establishment has been closed by order of the Sheriff of Sand Port until further notice."

Down the street a guard starts running towards the establishment.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-23, 12:02 AM
Victor runs his hands across the surface of another display of jewelry and amulets, concentrating just hard enough to have his eyes sensitive to the spectrum of magic. The wordplay of his companions washes over him, although he does roll his eyes and snort at Billo's suggested activities.

When the bus and cry rises around the name of Phillatese and a violent crime committed, his ears perk up. Depending on the nature of a crime, the city guard might be woefully unprepared for the challenge.

Iomedae, if this is a sign of your will, I shall follow it just as soon as I find what I seek here. I have a feeling that my companions and I shall have a need for mightier equipment in the near future. Only give me the time, and I will accomplish my preparations, and lead my companions to righteous victory.

Hatter
2015-06-23, 01:57 AM
Billo ties the straps of his bracers tight. They were of leather make and bore images of a pair of roaring bears. He also adjusted his cloak, deep azure in color, clashing with his red robes but he didn't mind. As a matter of fact, he even thought it looked classy.

"Ha! I'm looking right on fashionable! Point me to the short legged ladies! Maybe I'll even take Finny's sister for a spin!....does he have a sister?" He looks up at Victor.

WindStruck
2015-06-23, 08:04 PM
Shantae gets a bit interested in what is going on. As the guards fan about the market inquiring about this person, she responds to one, asking, "Phillatese? Who is that?"

The annoying bird chimes in. "You mean 'what is' that, right? I'm pretty sure it's a sandwich."

(sounds like philly cheese lol)

Oddman80
2015-06-23, 08:11 PM
As Finny leaves town hall with the keys and the deed to the house, he has a hop in his step. Not only did he get a house for his parents, but he managed to get it at a steal! He ironically thinks to himself {hard work always pays off!} before chuckling softly right there on the street.

From there, Finny heads over to the house - a little south of the general store, on a quiet side street between the Academy and the Glassworks. As he gets to the front door , he pauses and smiles {Ma and Pa are gonna love it here...}, before opening the door and walking in.
{sniff....}
"Ha ha ha! Already cleared itself out! Those idiots will believe anything..."

Finny can't wait to surprise his parents with the house tomorrow... But right now he has the urge to spend some more of his companions' gold!

{hmmm... What should I get?...} he thinks to himself as he locks up the house and starts heading south. {if I'm really going with those... adventurers to the mill, I sure as hell am gonna make sure I plan for the worst...}

Arriving back at the mercantile league, Finny walks up to the first scroll vendor he sees, and asks -
"Hey FRIEND! Whadaya got that helps protect people from evil stuff?"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-23, 08:27 PM
The amulet settles comfortably around Victor's neck, prompting a blossoming of understanding in the cleric of the intricacies of magic. When Victor had first seen the amulet, he had known on a deep level that this was what he sought even before he caught the glow of its magic. The amulet was in the shape of a flame balanced in the cup of a scale, the chains rising to join just over the tip of the flame before spreading to circle the neck of the bearer. Victor paid for the amulet, purchasing as well from the vendor a supply of incense and precious oils. Spotting a likely satchel that radiated an aura similar to that of his Haversack (and how easily that knowledge now comes!), Victor layes a hand on it and turns to Shantea as she addresses one of the town guards.

"Shantea, I believe this bag here possesses the magic you sought." Victor turns to the guard. "Good sir, I too am curious as to what has occurred to send so many of this towns protectors on such a search. If I may be so bold as to enquire... What happened?"

redfeline
2015-06-23, 08:46 PM
In a gruff voice a guard replies. Word is he killed a dwarven bard, Rita. Cute thing if you like short and heavy, mores the pity. Several witness reported them together. Naturally he seems to be in hiding now, coward is afraid to take his own medicine.

@Finny

Oh we have a variety of spells to offer, if you can cast them. He looks at the rouge with a vague interest. Of coarse this gem right here is porbably the one you want. Protection from evil, nice and simple. Does what the name implies.

Oddman80
2015-06-23, 09:11 PM
Finny - not having had much use for magical items outside his normal, thieving, wheelhouse- is instantly excited by this gem's promise, and his bulging eyes betray his normal poker face. {crap - shoulda worn the mask!}

"So... How much does a tiny little gem like this run?", Finny asks with a coy smile...

WindStruck
2015-06-23, 09:17 PM
Shantae snaps her head over to Victor, distracted by the discovery of a nice magic purse thing she wanted, when the guard's news makes her reel in surprise.

"R- Rita!? A dwarf.. bard?" Shantae says, her face paling.

"That's what he said. Are you planning on putting ranks in perform (repeat what everyone else says)?"

Shantae smacks Brush brazenly. "I knew Rita! I- I mean.. I met her earlier today. Where did this happen??"

Smileybastard
2015-06-23, 09:25 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn listens but says little.

redfeline
2015-06-24, 03:07 AM
@Finny

"Well I am glad you asked that, this little spell here normaly goes for 35gp, but you look like a man in need of protection. And 'sides I like the look of you. So will give you a whole sale deal, you can by this one and three of his friends for the low price of 120 gold crowns. That is a lot of evil you are protected from right there. Hate for anything bad to happen to you. For example we have a haunted mill up to the north east, and these would come in handy. " He smiles showing you a single gold tooth, oddly next to a missing tooth.

@Shawntae and co

The guard looks down. "I hope your not planing to go there and look for blood or the like. She deserves beter than that." He looks at you for a bit before deciding that isn't likely your intentions. "So he did the murder on the south east road, just cross the bridge. Then he apparently had the gull to take the bloody dagger with him back across the bridge. Or so the witnesses claim."

Oddman80
2015-06-24, 02:43 PM
Finny does some quick math, and doesn't feel certain the scrolls are quite worth what the man says they are...

"I don't know if its worth getting so many of them... do you have one that can help protect more than one person at a time? "

looking around the racks of scrolls, Finny does his best to now seem less impressed.

"Or what about one that can get rid of poison, or sickness, or... or... hmmmm... what about one that can remove a curse!? I've been to the Way North before - when i gamble - i don;t put all my money on one bet... i find you have much better odds of having a successful night when you spread your wealth around a bit - play the field, so as it were...."

redfeline
2015-06-24, 03:54 PM
"Oh I am sure you will find I have anything and everything you could want in spell casting. I even supply the academy." He smiles showing his gold tooth next to the toothless void. "Trust me you want to use my magic wares and not those cheap forgeries offered by other merchants." As you list off the goods he offers prices add 15 gp to the normal cost.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-24, 04:08 PM
"I am shocked that even a murderer could be so brazen. How is it that no one stopped this lunatic from re-entering the city?"

Victor's voice relays his shock at the story being told.

Perhaps I should... No, I think not. This is a matter for the constables to handle. If we are to face trolls and spirits, adding potency to my blade must be my priority.

WindStruck
2015-06-24, 06:25 PM
Shantae thinks out loud, "Hmm... after we met this morning, she said that she usually fed deer past some bridge to the south..."

Then her gaze hardens. "Just who is this guy? Was he connected with Rita before?"

Hatter
2015-06-24, 06:36 PM
"Why does it matter who the guy was!?" Billo exclaimed as he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Look, Genie-Girl... You talked to the girl once. It's not like you two were close friends or anything. Ain't no reason for us to get involved. I say we let the guards do what they do best and we do what we do best... like burning undead and watching them squirm!" Billo grins a sadistic grin. "BURN I tell you!!! Hehehehe....wonder if undead scream..." Billo stuck a pose with his fists on his hips and proceeded to laugh, quite loudly.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

1337Noooob
2015-06-24, 06:49 PM
Boggli was not against preparing for an adventure, especially since it was much better than talking to monks, but after following his companions while they bought everything they needed, his short patience began to wear thin.

"I see nothin' reasons why we need so much preparin'. Lookity, I understand we might get some stuffs for all o' us, but stahp runnin' around buyin' every little thing ya see! Let's get it movin'! If we see anythin' bad, we just blow it up! We aint needin' fancy magick items and stuffs fer that, do we?"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-24, 07:12 PM
The outbursts from the gnomes surprise Victor so much that he takes a step back, knocking into the merchant's table just hard enough to rattle the merchandise. Victor looks from one gnome to the other, seeing clearly the differences between the two but also noting their growing impatience. More troubling than what he sees in the gnomes, however, is the echo of that impatience he feels in his heart.

"I... I don't know what to say, Billo and Boggli. There is value in action for certain, but there is also value in compassion and preparation. I think we said we'd look into the haunting of the lumber mill tonight. Preparing for that may take more than just a plan to walk in and burn or explode everything in sight." Victor pauses for a moment, and takes a deep breath. Iomedae, I hope I am doing the right thing.

"I need some peace to prepare for our adventure tonight. I am positive that my spiritual energies will be deeply taxed tonight. I wish you luck in your own preparations, and will see you at the tavern at the appointed hour."

With that, Victor walks away and out of the marketplace, following the directions Finny had given him earlier to reach a relatively quiet smithy. Not wanting to intrude, he coughs outside the open front of the forge, waiting for the smith to notice him.

WindStruck
2015-06-24, 07:47 PM
Shantae angrily shoots back at Billo, "Well I care! She was nice and she was a great singer, and also pretty, I might add."

And after Boggli joins in, she sighs and says, "So, you guys are bored? I thought ghosts only came out at night, so you're out of luck for quite a few more hours anyway. If you want something or someone to explode, why don't we try to find this guy, hmm?"

Hatter
2015-06-24, 07:53 PM
"Wait... you're saying I can blow him up? Alright! Point the way, you long-legged she-devil! Ha! Aha!" Billo perks up, suddenly excited at the very prospect, pointing his finger up in the air in an adventurous manner.

"Onward to GLORY!!!!....and charred remins....Ahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!" He maintains his pose for a good long moment before clearing his throat and adjusts his collar. "Right... anyways. Where were we?"

redfeline
2015-06-24, 11:47 PM
The guard looked at the gnomes. "The law requires you take him alive. If only so we have something to kill later on. We normally don't have this type of violence, so we don't have guard at each exit or entrance. Although we do right now till we catch this fiend."

@ Vic

The blacksmith glances at the cleric and then continues to strike while the iron is hot. Metal pounds on metal for several minutes before he stops and places the still back into the forge. "What do you need made?"

Hatter
2015-06-24, 11:54 PM
Billo quirks his brow at the guard and performs a disappointed fingersnap "Well, shucks! Geewiz Mr. Lawman! Can't I just burn him nice and crispy like but still alive before bringing him to you? That wouldn't lower the bounty would it? There IS a bounty, right?"

He puts his thumbs in his belt loop and rocks on his heels with a hopeful grin at the guard.

redfeline
2015-06-25, 01:17 PM
I suppose the condition of the body isn't to important, as long as he is healthy enough to hang tomorrow. Can't really have him look like he was tortured in the prison, so stop burning before then. Personally I feel he has it coming. Once the gnome mentions bounty he continues It is unlikely he will get a bounty. Rita didn't have much family in town. The city only offers bounties on people who flee the city, he won't get a chance. So bounties for people in town usually come from the family of the victim. Rita had no family here in town, who ever they are have no idea this happened. Wheen, a wagon shop owner, offer a bounty at first but pulled it back when he heard Phil was the murder. He may like the girl, but apparently he likes his business partner more.

WindStruck
2015-06-25, 07:52 PM
Shantae looks rather confused. "So this guy, Wheen, was his partner? Anyway, what else do you guys know about the killer?"

Smileybastard
2015-06-25, 09:27 PM
Ka'Sahn

"Any idea where they are or were seen last?"

redfeline
2015-06-26, 01:06 AM
The guard chuckles If I knew where the bastard was, I wouldn't be looking for him now would I? I can tell you what he looks like, he is a fairly tall man. Has a grey goatee, green eyes. And something useful for identifying him, he has a scar from a shaving accident across his left cheek. Rita explained to me once that he got it while using daddies razor back before he had the whiskers of an elf.

Hatter
2015-06-26, 01:13 AM
Billo slides his hands into his pockets and looks up at Shantae "Well, fearless and not quite as illuminated as can be leader! We now know his name, what he looks like, who a friend of his is, what we can do to him and not a clue as to where he could be...and....NO BOUNTY!!!!"

"Ahem.." he cleared his throat after practically screaming that last bit. "Soooo... What do you want to do?"

WindStruck
2015-06-26, 07:02 AM
Shantae sighs. "I don't know. I guess we'll just keep an eye out for him. Maybe wander around some random place if you guys want?"

Yeah, she really didn't know where to look for the guy. So Shantae went back to shopping. She needed a magic bag that was fashionable and fitting for a dancer such as herself!

redfeline
2015-06-26, 12:55 PM
It takes nearly an hour of additional shopping before the find a simple white bag with black highlights that does what Shantae wants. It is now 1pm and the group seems to be fairly hungry.

Hatter
2015-06-26, 01:33 PM
"I'm STARVING!!!!!" Billo suddenly bursts out, an exclamation of pure torture and suffering. He grabs hold of his belly and continues to yell as he stumbles behind Shantae "Oh! Mercy! Mercy! Mercy on the poor starving gnome ma'dame! So hungry and WEAK! It feels like I HAVENT ATE IN DAYS!!!!!....Woe unto this poor soul! Feed me, please! FEED ME!!!!!"

1337Noooob
2015-06-26, 02:58 PM
At that moment, Boggli's longing for the mill finally gave way to another urge, depicted so strongly by Billo.

"Food ya say? He he, I could use some grub right about now! Guess we can go finds th' baddie later, eh?

Boggli was not necessarily hungry; a month ago, food would be the last thing on his mind! However, his discovery of the wonders of good food, not the bread rations or half-rotten vegetables from a run-down stall in the market, had captivated his lust for delicious delicacies. What is there to eat? he wondered, imagining what savory treats existed that he never knew were there.

WindStruck
2015-06-26, 06:20 PM
Shantae steps back as the gnome screams his head off. It was literally like a child's tantrum. "Billo! Shhh!!" she says, trying to hush him (if only a little bit) as the nearby people begin to gawk at him like a weirdo. She blushes at all the unwanted attention and even being associated with Billo.

Brush is the first to comment on the situation. "Hey Carrot Top, act your age, not your height!"

For once something Shantae adamantly agrees with. She nods and adds, "If you're so hungry, just eat something! Geeze! It's not like I'm stopping you, am I?"

"Do you think if he behaves, we can adopt him?"

Shantae sighs again. "You're too much for me to handle as it is."

Hatter
2015-06-26, 09:29 PM
Billo grabbed hold of Shantae's clothing, a whole handful and stared up at her with begging eyes and as much dramatic flare as he could muster. "Ffffffoooooooodddddddd"

Smileybastard
2015-06-26, 10:34 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn clearly looks annoyed at the gnome. "I suggest a gag or a hard downward smack to the head."

WindStruck
2015-06-26, 11:54 PM
Shantae just rolls her eyes and emits yet another, even more exasperated sigh. She finds the nearest food stall and all but pushes Billo towards it.

Brush flies up to the gnomish vendor and says, "Squatty, I need warm feed in three seconds, or we're all deaf!"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-27, 12:14 AM
'Quiet' isn't a word that is normally associated with a smithy. The air is constantly filled with a riotous blend of noise, from the crackle and whoosh of the forge to the clang of hammers striking hot metal, from the snap and sizzle of sparks landing on leather aprons to the sharp hiss of hot steel plunging into barrels of water. No, quiet isn't a word for the work space Victor had found, but it was in this raucous environment that a sense of quiet had settled over him. His work alternated between praying over his sword as the blade rested in the furnace, gathering in the heat of the coals until the steel shone a bright white, and channeling the energy of Iomedae into the blade itself as he smote it with a mighty hammer, working the metal so that the energies were intricately mixed into the very essence of the steel. Four hours passed in a blur, and Victor found himself holding his sword with a pair of long tongs, plunging the blade into a barrel of blessed oils. The steam that rose from the barrel briefly swirled into a symbol remarkably similar to the one that hung around Victor's neck before dissipating into the early afternoon air.

By Iomedae, how much easier this is. Victor raised his hand to briefly touch his new amulet. I can see the channels and flow of the steel and the magic so much more clearly wearing this. At this rate, a task that should have taken me a week will finish in two more days! Victor's stomach grumbles as though to punctuate the thought, and he turns to look for food. To his surprise, he finds a plate of bread, cheese, meat, and even a bright green apple sitting on a bench near to him. Victor looks over to the head Smith and raises an eyebrow questioningly, then nods to acknowledge the gruff man's stern look. Too proud to be seen offering largess, even to a fellow follower of Iomedae. I shall count myself lucky, then, and enjoy the spoils of friendship earned.

Some few minutes later, Victor turned once more to his sword, now lying cool on a bench, clamped down at the tip and the grip. Next to the sword lie a variety of etching chisels, some precious powders, and smaller hammers of varying size and weight. Beginning again to chant his prayers to Iomedae, Victor returns to work, lifting a fine chisel and a hammer. His back turned, Victor fails to see the awe in the eyes of the workers, or the pride in the eyes of the head Smith at the quality of work being done in his smithy.

redfeline
2015-06-27, 01:07 AM
@ Finny
The halfling has a bag stuffed with recently acquired scrolls and gear. He sits at the tavern drinking alone a smile on his face from a good days work.

A female guard rushes in and talks to the tavern keeper who smiles brightly and kisses the guard. Holding her tightly for a moment before he bangs loudly on the countertop. He boldly anounces, Good news ever one. They caught Phil that twice damned devil!

At that he kisses the guard once more who rushes out of the Tavern.

@ Victor

The smith takes a few moments of break as he once more heats still. He appears to working on some armor. He takes a large gulp from a water skin and walks over to watch victor for a few moments. I seldom get to see the magic take work, it seems a very involved process.

@ every one else

You finish your meal uneventfully. As you get up to go a man sits at the stall bench. He speaks to the stall owner. Give me the same as yesterday. It sounds like they finally caught Phil. Some how the idiot didn't even know they were looking for him. As if he might not of known the arrogant ass hole.

How could he of not known they were looking for him half the day? Not like he murdered the girl and went home to take a nap while carrying the bloody knife.

I wouldn't be surpised if that is what he says before they hang him tomorrow.

Hatter
2015-06-27, 01:16 AM
Upon hearing the news, Billo snaps his fingers in disappointment. "Well, shucks, Shantae..*burp*... guess we won't be hunting down that murderer afterall!....No people frying for me....not today at least..." the sorcerer said while muttering that last bit under his breath. In a way, Billo was relieved. The gnome didn't quite fancy the idea of going after dangerous criminals without even a posted bounty but hey, he was starting to like Shantae...well, at least he liked annoying her.

WindStruck
2015-06-27, 10:46 AM
Shantae ponders after overhearing that news. "Huh. That's weird. So I guess he is just really forgetful?"

"Or maybe he's just trying to get out of it with the 'it was my evil twin!' defense."

Hatter
2015-06-27, 11:55 AM
"That or he's actually innocent! Ha!" Billo laughs through a mouthful of grilled squid. The gnome had purchased an arm full of various fried seafood from the vendor and wasn't about to waste it.

"Not that it really matter. Aint my little legs about to be dangling! Ha! Ahaha!" He takes another bite out of the squid.

WindStruck
2015-06-27, 01:23 PM
"Hmm. Innocent? But it doesn't seem anyone else thinks he is..." She casually finishes munching on some freshly breaded and baked shrimp and a small baguette.

Hatter
2015-06-27, 01:30 PM
Cracking into a crab leg "I've learned that what people think doesn't really matter! Ha! People think a lot of things, doesn't make em right!" he grins at Shantae before stuffing some crab meat into his mouth.

"People used to think that half-orcs were no-good savages that weren't worth anything but killing folks..." He takes a look at Ka'Sahn, ponders for a moment then says "Not far off the mark but our Ka'Sahn is worth more than that! Ha! He's also good for scaring people!"

Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

WindStruck
2015-06-27, 02:48 PM
Shantae can't help but giggle at the joke. It was funny. Too bad her laugh was drowned out by Billo's. He was quite loud for someone so small.

"It'll still be a while before we're supposed to meet Finny. Well, you think he could be innocent? That would mean someone else killed Rita. But I haven't the slightest clue..." She just shakes her head, thinking some more. "You wanna go talk to him? Phil? Or maybe we could go look for something southeast of town? I really don't know..."

What could they hope find there that the witnesses and guards already didn't?

Smileybastard
2015-06-27, 04:49 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn smiles. "I prefer to kill little folks, cuz scaring them does not seem to work." His smile broadens.

Hatter
2015-06-27, 09:48 PM
Gods above, that half-orc could be creepy sometimes. Billo wasn't about to let any fear show though... perhaps if he bribed it with food it wouldn't be so inclined to bite him. Yeah, that's what the little gnome will do.

"Want some?" He offered a fish on a stick to Ka'Sahn with a grin and a mouthful of crab meat. He then directed his attention to Shantae. "Whatever you want to do! I'm happy with my food! Ha!"

Suddenly the gnome perked up as if he remembered something "Did you know that there's several spells that pretty much anyone with the know-how can use? Ha! Stupid bookworms can change how they look like that! (Finger snap) Might be one of those Academy idiots decided to go murder someone! Stupid Academy and their stupid wizards...hmph!"

Smileybastard
2015-06-28, 09:23 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn follows some deer tracks leading up to signs of blood and footprints heading back to town. No signs of struggle.
"It could have been a clean kill, no struggle. Lets follow the tracks back to town."

Hatter
2015-06-29, 12:04 AM
Billo smirks as he watches Ka'Sahn do his thing with the tracks and the blood. Such an interesting talent! Billo wished he had some kind of skill like that but he knew that kind of talent required mucking about in the dirty woods for a few years at the very least and honestly, Billo was not about any of that. "See!? I told you he was good for more than killing! Ha!"

WindStruck
2015-06-29, 12:11 AM
Shantae watches the tracks being uncovered, pointed out, explained. It made sense, sort of. Kind of where Rita said she would be earlier this morning. But...

"Wait. So you only see footprints leaving? Where are Rita's coming here? Where are Phil's?"

It seemed to be a puzzle. Or, it could be one, anyway. Brush you could say usually had a level head about such things, but he just stared at Shantae as though she were crazy or stupid, not sure what she's getting at.

could just be a miscommunication on DMs part, but it seems to me it is implied that there is only one set of footprints leaving the spatters of blood? In other words, it seems a person just materialized there and started walking back to town? So she's asking if there were other footprints leading up to this spot before the incident. ie if we can follow the tracks backwards?

redfeline
2015-06-29, 02:23 AM
Ka'sahn see's other tracks in the area including the victims early tracks, and fresher tracks made by numerous armored individuals some hours later.

As he follows the tracks back up the road the trail of the murder becomes confused but is still visible. With out to much difficulty he can follow the tracks back to the hard stone bridge. However pass that he struggles to find prints on the stone slabs and the numerous travelers of the day and even the group have further damaged the trail.

Smileybastard
2015-06-29, 05:09 AM
Ka'Sahn

"No there are other's as well."

~

After arriving at the stone bridge and examining a while, Ka'Sahn says, "This is as far as I can follow them. Stone and many others make it impossible to follow them further."

Oddman80
2015-06-29, 11:04 AM
Finny asks the Tavern Keeper why the guard had been looking for Phil, and is taken aback by the answer.

"Not that knew him well or nothin' - but I guess its always a bit jarring to hear that someone ya knew went an' murdered someone else...
Finny lets out a long steady sigh, while staring blankly down at the bar's sticky surface. glancing up briefly at the tavern keeper, Finny raises his glass in a sort of melancholy toast:

Ah well.. to Strange days..."

After another minute of quiet, scowling thought, Finny suddenly perks up and shoots a question back at the Tavern Keeper:

"Hey! you don't happen to know what went down at The Way North and at the White Deer, do ya?"

redfeline
2015-06-29, 11:14 AM
Huh. I guess talk of that died down with the other going ons of the day. People were talking about that for some time this mourning. As I here it that fight club finally caused enough trouble to be closed down. Some bickering spilled into The White Deer and broke several pieces of furniture and that great big mirror they have. The captain of the guards said that was enough and closed down the fight club "for good" and even went so far as to close and fine The Way North for now. We'll see if he can keep it gone.

Hatter
2015-06-29, 06:20 PM
Billo steps up next to Ka'Sahn, his little eyes following the Half-Orc's gaze but he couldn't see what he saw if his life depended on it. The gnome let out a sigh of irritation. What a waste of time. He hoped that Shantae was at least satisfied.

"Well! That was a wonderful use of our time... I say we meet up with Finny soon so that we can show his parents their new house. Hmmm.. Might have to find that book-thumping-do-gooder of ours first though!" Billo suggested with a grin at his own clever description of Victor.

WindStruck
2015-06-29, 06:44 PM
"Hmm... Right," Shantae says somewhat disappointed. Seems they didn't find anything of interest out here.

"Anyway, we're supposed to meet Finny at the Rusty Dragon for dinner..."

She looks at the sun trying to decide if it's around that time yet.

Hatter
2015-06-29, 06:48 PM
"Mmmm...dinner...." says Billo with a sigh, it seems the little gnome was getting hungry again. He whipped out his pocket watch and looked at the time.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-30, 01:14 AM
Victor wipes the accumulated sweat of a long day in the forge from his forehead, and gratefully hands the cloth back to the Smith. Holding his longsword carefully, he can feel the new magical energies beginning to find their form. Another few days of this, and your sword shall burn with a flame of truth and justice, Iomedae!

Victor bows to the blacksmith, and gathers the rest of his belongings from beside his workstation. "Again, my thanks for the use of your space today. With your permission, I shall return tomorrow morning to continue my work." With that, Victor takes his leave, following his memory and the growing pangs of hunger in his belly back to the tavern where this strange day had begun. Pushing open the door, Victor looks about to see if any of his companions have returned as yet.

WindStruck
2015-06-30, 06:29 PM
Shantae arrives back at the Rusty Dragon a bit weary, with a hungry, rambunctious gnome practically hanging off her. She is followed by the tall, silent, half-orc/elf who still bears quite a presence nonetheless.

Seeing Finny drinking at a bar, she walks up to him to sit nearby. "Hey Finny. How'd the house hunting go?"

"I bet better than our pointless little field trip," Brush comments.

Smileybastard
2015-06-30, 07:22 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn sits at the table. "Maybe we are not made to find who killed her...maybe we should find a shovel."

PeacefulOak
2015-06-30, 07:55 PM
The familiar sound of his companion's voices draws Victor's attention, and he moves through the tavern to join Ka'Sahn at the table near the bar. Waving over a waiter, he orders a bowl of thick stew and a loaf of bread to go with it. Turning back to the half-orc, Victor speaks.

"You cut to the heart of a conversation as easily as to that of your foes, friend. We once again are faced with a choice. Do we go and meet Finny's... associate," Victor chuckles, "or do we proceed to the lumber mill to investigate the strange lights there?"

WindStruck
2015-06-30, 07:57 PM
Shantae wonders what she should eat. Although there didn't appear to be a big selection. She snaps out of the thought to ask, "Are you sure we all were invited to that?"

Smileybastard
2015-06-30, 08:08 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn shrugs. "I forgot about the lumber mill. I am game for anything, although I admit I was mire thinking of the shovel as a weapon. I feel that no good would come of the meeting." He smiles.

WindStruck
2015-06-30, 08:10 PM
Brush interjects, "Well if you break the shovel, how are you going to bury the body?" He hops closer to the other pointy-eared fellow and looks up to him.

Shantae hisses a whisper: "Brush! We aren't going to kill anyone!"

Oddman80
2015-06-30, 08:16 PM
Hearing Ka'Sahn & Victor talk about going to meet up with Randal makes Finny choke a little on his Ale - {COUGH COUGH COUGH} - As he hears Shantae's response, Finny points at her animatedly while clearing his throat and trying to regain his breath.

Yeah - what Gorgeous said. Randal didn't exactly extend an invitation to you lot - HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WE'RE WORKING TOGETHER!

Finny scootches around on his barstool to face the rest of the group.

If Randal catches wind of you all at the meetup site, he's either gonna tuck tail and run, or he's gonna start shooting us before bothering to ask any questions. Unless you all were planning on steaking out the spot before he or I ever showed up - and getting the drop on that vicious son of a worg, I say we go to the Mill!

Smileybastard
2015-06-30, 08:20 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn orders some strew and ale. "The mill it is then... after we eat."

WindStruck
2015-06-30, 08:28 PM
"I don't think I could hide and stake out a spot very well. Especially with this loudmouth twit," she says pointing to Brush. He shoots back a silent glare of his own. "Actually, I don't even know where exactly you'll be meeting them... are you planning to head to the mill after all that?"

redfeline
2015-06-30, 09:24 PM
A barmaid, disappointingly flat chested, drops off a load of bred and a rich barely stew in front of Victor. She turns to the large half elf orc and smiles what seems a sincere grin. Coming right up big guy.

The Rusty Dragon seems more crowded then last night, likely because of the two closed taverns in the northern part of the city. There is music by a few gnomes, one playing the bag pipes. Their voices strike baritone notes that compliment the surprisingly up beat tune. Suddenly the pipest hits a note so low that the windows begin to shake. His lips go limp and the bags deflate as the building continues to shake and the note becomes louder, turning into a ground shaking roar of some very large beast.

Every one is still and quiet as it fades away. It seems like an hour passes, but it is mirror seconds. The party looks about with a strange feeling of deja vu. The room returns to life a few people step outside and look about during the sun set. The gnome piper looks for a few moments at the bag before he decides to continue. He misses the first few notes before picking up and life goes back to normal.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-30, 09:46 PM
"What in the name of Iomedae!" Victor leaps to his feet, nearly knocking over the bench on which he was seated (and jostling anyone else seated on that bench.

"What just happened? Finny, are earth-trembles common here?"

WindStruck
2015-06-30, 10:48 PM
Shantae drops her bread into the bowl of soup before her in surprise, then as the brown note continues to grow in intensity, she scrunches up and covers her ears. Brush flaps about in a state of panic, falling off the counter.

"I... I have no clue..." is all she can say in response to Victor.

Brush manages to flit back up to his former perch. "Wuh... either that was a freak accident, or that guy did it on purpose. Maybe it's a signal!"

Hatter
2015-06-30, 11:30 PM
Billo threw his arms up in the air with a look of pure joy "Again! Do it again! Hahahahaha!"

Smileybastard
2015-07-01, 05:16 AM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn looks around. "What the hell was that!?"

Perception [roll0] to notice anything different

WindStruck
2015-07-01, 06:59 AM
Sooo... deja vu huh? Ka'Sahn will look for stuff that's different, but Shantae will look for whatever's the same!

int check: [roll1]

redfeline
2015-07-01, 10:00 AM
Everything seems the same or at least as same as it ever could given that the ground just shook with the force of a roar. The feeling of deja vu quickly passes.

The people of the tavern seem to be mostly going back to business as usual. The flat chested barmaid brings a bowl of soup and sets it in front of Ka'Sahn. Funny weather we are having. She says with a smile.

Hatter
2015-07-01, 03:38 PM
Billo leans to the side as he attempts to determine if the barmaid was just all around flat or simply unfortunate in a single area. The gnome's eyes fix on the barmaid's bottom. "Seems like a regular earthquake to me! I don't mind a good jiggle every now and then! Ha!"

Smileybastard
2015-07-01, 05:16 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn smiles warmly at the barmaid and then looks confused at her comment. "Weather? That was weather?"

redfeline
2015-07-01, 05:46 PM
She smiles abashed No... it is my first earth quake. Um do they count as weather? She blushes meekly at the half orc/elf. Her bottom isn't flat but it also isn't much to brag about.

Hatter
2015-07-01, 05:55 PM
The fire-happy gnome let's out a sigh of disappointment before returning to his meal.

"So what's the plan o' fearless leader of the thumping book?" He asked of Victor with a mouthful of food and a twinkle in his eyes that hungered for action. "You have your spells prepared for some ghost-hunting? Huh? Huh? Ha! I cant wait to see the face on that first ghost when fire puts a hole through it's chest! Hahaha!"

Smileybastard
2015-07-01, 06:05 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn smiles at the blush then looks at the gnome. "I don't think ghosts are harmed by fire, nor do they have chests ... exactly."

He then begins to eat hungerly.

redfeline
2015-07-01, 11:47 PM
I am afraid I agree with your friend. She says to the gnome, the look on her face says she noticed what he was doing or at least suspects it. A call for more beer at another table pulls her away with out further comment.

Hatter
2015-07-01, 11:54 PM
The gnome tsked quite loudly "Just you watch, then! We are going to have undead fried steak! Hahahahaha!"

The gnome laughed and laughed at his poor choice of a joke as he shoves his chicken-fried steak into his mouth.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-02, 12:16 AM
When nothing further out of the ordinary occurred, Victor had returned to his seat and continued eating, alternating between spoonfuls of thick meaty stew and bites of the crusty bread. He was only following the conversation out of habit, his thoughts ordering themselves for the conflict to come. The shaking of the tavern had done more to disturb his calm than it seemed to have done to the building itself. Iomedae, grant me the peace to protect my companions through the challenge to come.

Turning his attention more fully to the conversation, Victor speaks. "Yes, Billo. I have readied spells that should protect and strengthen us in our coming endeavor." He wipes the last of his stew up with a scrap of bread, and pops it into his mouth. Swallowing loudly, he continues. "Now, are we all ready to go and discover the truth of the Lumber Mill?"

Hatter
2015-07-02, 12:20 AM
Billo's eyes widen with utter surprise, why they could have easily been tje size of plates! Could it be? Could it really be? The little fun-sized sorcerer has been waiting for this all day!

Bam! Bam! Bam!

His fists slammed against the table and he howled with pure excitement "Haaaaawooooo!!!! YES! YES! TRIPLE YES! Woooooooooooo!!!!!"

Oddman80
2015-07-02, 12:06 PM
As the group prepares to leave the tavern, Finny's eyes grow large as he stares at the bar, realization finally hitting him:
{I am about to go out with these guys... and face uncertain danger... with no concrete reward up front?!? What if something goes wrong? What if I get hurt? What if I don't make it back?....}

Finny feels around his many pockets before locating the deed to the house. He turns to the barmaid before she walks off - grabbing her arm as she passes and says with a pleading look:

"Ameiko! I need you to do something for me. I... Don't know if I'm turning over a new leaf or what... But I'm trying to do something good tonight - I'm heading out with this lot, and we're gonna see if we can take care of whatever has been scaring all the workers at the Lumber Mill... But if I don't come back tonight --

I NEED You to take this paper to my parents - Liam and Keeva... Don't think they've been down to the Rusty Dragon since I could walk - but they're good folk... You can find my pa at his Butcher Shop, the Pious Pig, over on Bent Street. My mum is usually at the Temple of Erastil.

Ameiko... I'm trusting you here.. You've always been nice to me and you seem like an honest lady... This paper is for a house... I bought my parents a house today... It's a gift for all the crap i've put them through while growing up... I want to give it to them myself... But... If I--

I NEED you to promise me you will take this to them if I'm not back before the breakfast crowd clears out tomorrow.

Please... Will you do this for me?"

redfeline
2015-07-02, 12:40 PM
Ameiko smiles warmly at Finny I think you've had to much to drink, but I will hold onto this until you get back. She takes the pink slip and stuffs it a fold of her skirt an unseen pocket of sorts.

WindStruck
2015-07-03, 12:24 AM
Shantae rolls her eyes as Billo makes yet another uproar. Between all the noise of the earth-shaking bagpipes and ear-splitting gnome cries, Shantae could swear she was starting to get a headache.

"Hey, you mind toning it down a bit, pipsqueak? You're kinda loud," Brush said. Through some empathic link he had, he could even tell his master was getting weary of this.

"You know, if Brush thinks you're loud... well, you're loud." It's all Shantae can think of saying. "Ugh, lets just give him something to burn already. Maybe if we tire him out he won't be so loud..."

She quickly finishes her meal and heads out with the others, presumably toward the mill again as sunset rapidly approached.

Smileybastard
2015-07-03, 06:52 AM
Ka'Sahn

"A gag would be far simpler."

redfeline
2015-07-03, 07:03 PM
The group travels briskly up the road turning and heading in the direction Rita was murdered in but stopping before the bridge. The lumber mill isn't particularly large but it is tall. A set of fabric sails turn despite the closed conditions of the mill.

The mill sits some what apart from the rest of the building with about a ten foot alley on the city side. The opposite side faces the water and a small ramp leads down into the river to pull water born logs up to the mill. The dock however appears to of rotted through, given that half the steps down seem to be broken as if some one took the first step only to land on the next seven.

The door hangs semi open, shut only by a loose chain placed to keep squatters out, any halfling, gnome or human child could easily slide inside however. Not to mention a window on the side is shattered leaving glass shards on the ground. Any half dragon ogre could probably enter that way.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-03, 07:21 PM
Victor

Standing in the street before the mill, Victor looks to his companions. His gaze shifts from one to the next, as though gauging their readiness for what is to come. He kneels and removes his haversack, unstrapping his shield before opening and reaching into the bag.

"Well, here we are. I think we'd best be ready for anything when we enter, so if you have preparations to make now is the time."

One by one Victor pulls four hooded lanterns out from his bag, setting them down in a row.

"Each of these mangers is enchanted with a magical flame that creates no heat and will not die. For the sake of those of us without special eyes, I think Finny, Billo, Bogli, and Shantea should each carry one."

Victor waits for the lanterns to be taken up, and peers towards the mill to see if he can spot anything within.

[roll0]

Hatter
2015-07-03, 09:30 PM
Billo picks up a lantern, the gnome seems oddly calm. He lifts the lantern up and peers out into the darkness in an attempt to see if anything was out there amongst the mill.

If Finny's memory served him well, he would remember the same oddly calm demeanor coming upon his gnomish companion before the incident which earned the gnome his nickname.

Perception: [roll0]

WindStruck
2015-07-03, 09:58 PM
Shantae takes a lantern from Victor. She quietly makes her way to the side of the lumber mill with the big broken window, trying to peer inside.

"Oh Ghosties!~ Come out, come out, wherever you are!" Brush squaks playfully, perched on her hair.

Shantae tries to quiet the bird. "Shh!"

In order to help see into the building, she casts Dancing Lights and sends the little balls of light inside, moving them around to various things. Combined with the lantern light, hopefully she sees something.

redfeline
2015-07-03, 10:39 PM
As Shantae's light moves about the mill she can readily tell that the room is empty and dusty with only mild debris. On the north wall a door sits cracked in half but still in place. On the west sits an empty door frame, and lastly to the south is the main set of doors.

@ victor For the faintest of moments you feel like you saw something in an upstairs window, but your mind could be playing tricks on you.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-03, 10:45 PM
Victor

Victor steps forward, slipping his sack back across his back as he straps on his shield. Unhooking his glowing mace from his belt, he gestures with it towards one of the upstairs windows.

"Movement, in that window there. It was only a moment, but I am certain I saw something." He steps up to the door, glancing in to follow the dance of Shantae's lights, giving her an approving nod. He nudges the chain with his mace.

"Finny, anything you can do about this? I'd rather not alert every living thing within to our presence with the sound of me climbing through that window there."

Oddman80
2015-07-04, 12:41 AM
Finny holds a finger up to his lips as he hushes the tall man with a smile and a wink. Taking the last lantern from Victor, he reaches with his other hand into a pocket, and quietly proceeds towards the main door.[roll0]

Seeing the locked chain, Finny leans over and places the lantern on the ground, adjusting the hood to cast light on the chained obstruction. As he stands back up, Finny gracefully pulls his lock picks from his pocket and - making sure that his body shields his handiwork from his companions - he sticks in his tension wrench to the bottom of the keyhole, applies a little pressure and then scrubs his pick in the hole with a quick one-two, waiting for that familiar feel of the pins all setting. [roll1]

Oddman80
2015-07-04, 12:50 AM
{click}

{thank you, you fabulous fingers, you}

Finny carefully, and quietly removes the chain from the door and places it gently on the side of the entry path. [roll0]

He then scoops up the lantern, and gives a curteous bow towards the group before motioning for them to proceed.

WindStruck
2015-07-04, 12:57 AM
Shantae doesn't even hear a rattle from the main doors as her lights float about inside the mill before Finny unlocks the door and opens it. She goes back over and whispers, "Ok seriously Brush, not a peep or you're staying out!" The bird just grumbles something unintelligible.

She tries to quietly proceed in with the others.

stealth: [roll0]

Although Brush probably already gave them away. And I'm not expecting the gnomes to be quiet either..

redfeline
2015-07-04, 02:15 AM
The group crawls into the very square shaped room. Little dust seems to be on the floor and most of the objects seem to of been removed before the closing of the mill what remains is a mix of wood and steel rubble. One can only guess what it once was. A door still some how on its hinge heads north and east is an empty door frame.

WindStruck
2015-07-04, 02:52 AM
Shantae casts her dancing lights again, this time sending the balls of light through conspicuous empty door frame to try to see what's on the other side.

Smileybastard
2015-07-04, 09:45 AM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn moves in with the group, his greatsword in hand, being as quiet as he can.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Hatter
2015-07-04, 09:51 AM
Billo waved his lantern about carefully peering about and just waiting for something to happen.

redfeline
2015-07-04, 10:25 AM
Shantae's light reveals a room much the first, except this one has an empty frame heading north. The ruined metal frame of a bed sits in the corner next to a cracked chamber pot of clay. Some cob webs dangle lightly from the ceiling.

WindStruck
2015-07-04, 01:10 PM
Shantae whispers, "Pretty empty so far. Does checking out the whole floor before going up a level sound good?"

She carefully moves through the eastward door frame, sending her lights through the north frame in that room. She looks ahead and around nearby again.

stealth: [roll1]

Anyone else is welcome to come with or even slightly ahead of me, so I don't get ambushed all alone. :smallsmile:

Hatter
2015-07-04, 01:38 PM
Billo follows Shantae without a second thought. "Seems pretty quiet if you ask me. I thought there were supposed to be ghosts!"

Smileybastard
2015-07-04, 04:21 PM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn looks at Billo. "Well, I am sure something will turn up that you can complain about or shout about."

Oddman80
2015-07-05, 07:46 AM
Finny searches the room for any clues as to what may be causing this 'haunting'.[roll0] (+2 for locating any traps in the room)

As he sees Shantae begin to advance towards the next room, Finny hustles over to her and whispers, "Hey Gorgeous - unless that bird of yours can turn into a guard dog or somethin... How bout you don't go venturing off alone?" before jovially elbowing her in the side with a smirk.

"All right - Lets do this"

With that, Finny quietly walks into the next room with Shantae. Stealth [roll1]
Perception [roll2] (+2 for locating any traps in the room)

Hatter
2015-07-05, 10:03 AM
Ka'Sahn

Ka'Sahn looks at Billo. "Well, I am sure something will turn up that you can complain about or shout about."

Billo grumbled unintelligible under his breath "Yup! Found something!"

redfeline
2015-07-05, 02:58 PM
As the move into the north based room a spiral stair case rotates high up into the wind mill's tower. A large round saw blade sits on the ground and numerous wood gears sit disused and upturning. A trapdoor leading to the outside docks sits open.

WindStruck
2015-07-05, 03:05 PM
Shantae doubles back, returning to the main room and approaching the split door. She softly talks to herself."There's the stairs. So then what's this? A closet?"

She smiles to Finny who seemed quite concerned for her. She also looks to Victor. Well, someone was going to do the honors and see what was beyond this door, right? Whoever decides to open this door, Shantae blesses with a bit of good luck.

or rather, it's just the Resistance spell. :smalltongue: