PDA

View Full Version : A feat that changes feats

Yehomer
2007-04-24, 01:36 PM
Since with plot development my character's development took a new way (from a fighter\ spellsword to mainly sorcerer), I found some of the feats I took at lower levels as useless now. I developed this feat to represent the neglection of older abillities and training of new ones.

A Change of Career[Feat Type]
Prerequisites: Character level 9+
Benefits: You may "forget" up to three feats and learn that same number of new feats. You may not forget feats that is required for a prestige class in which you have at least one level. You may not forget a feat you got from your class (though fighter and wizards bonus feats may be changed). If you forget a feat that is required for other feats, you must also forget all the feats that require it (those count against the limit of three feats).
Normal: A feat you choose stays with you forever.

Taking the feat should be represented by roleplaying: you can't forget Weapon Focus (Longsword) if you swing a longsword every battle. However, if you've been using a flail for the last few months, then it would make sense.

Do you think it is balanced? Do you have anything to add or change that would make it more balanced or realistic?

Marcotic
2007-04-24, 02:20 PM
Good feat! maybe put in a clarifying line of
"If you change a bonus feat, you may only select one of the available options"
You may only change a feat that you selected, for example, a fighter could change his weapon focus (greatsword) to weapon focus (long bow) but a ranger couldn't exchange his endurance for somthing else.

Not that it neeeds it,

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-24, 02:24 PM
Since with plot development my character's development took a new way (from a fighter\ spellsword to mainly sorcerer), I found some of the feats I took at lower levels as useless now. I developed this feat to represent the neglection of older abillities and training of new ones.
There's already a mechanic for this--retraining. It's in the PHB II.

A Change of Career[Feat Type]
Prerequisites: Character level 9+
Benefits: You may "forget" up to three feats and learn that same number of new feats. You may not forget feats that is required for a prestige class in which you have at least one level. You may not forget a feat you got from your class (though fighter and wizards bonus feats may be changed). If you forget a feat that is required for other feats, you must also forget all the feats that require it (those count against the limit of three feats).
Normal: A feat you choose stays with you forever.
There is no mention of having to have met the prerequisites for the feats you are gaining now at the time you took the ones you're forgetting. That's not good.

Taking the feat should be represented by roleplaying: you can't forget Weapon Focus (Longsword) if you swing a longsword every battle. However, if you've been using a flail for the last few months, then it would make sense. This kind of thing has no business being in a feat description. Feats are a mechanic; leave "roleplaying requirements" out of them. You can take WF: longsword and never use one after that. Joe Smith can have used a longsword from levels 1 through 20 without ever taking Weapon Focus: Longsword; there's no reason you shouldn't be able to lose it.

Do you think it is balanced? Do you have anything to add or change that would make it more balanced or realistic?It's problematic in that as written, I can swap out feats I had before for new feats that I couldn't have taken then, since I now meet the requirements. If that was your intention, yeah, this is overpowered--you lose weak feats and gain more strong feats than you could have otherwise. If that wasn't the intention, then there's already an official way to do this: retraining, as mentioned above.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-24, 02:26 PM
I think you could instead use "retraining". With enough time, and money spent in the meanwhile, you could change unused feats, by DM's discretion. Like the Warblade's ability to change weapon focus/etc, but for any feat, at the cost of time and money.

Yehomer
2007-04-24, 03:02 PM
Actually, I wrote this feat because I never saw the PHB II. Also, our group uses 3e rules (campaign has been runing for four years, and we didn't convert), so my DM probably won't let me use it anyway.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 03:10 PM
there really is no difference...3. and 3.5 are pretty easy to mesh, but ya this feat is kinda silly.