PDA

View Full Version : City of the Spider Queen [Part 1: Spinning the Web]

The Maxx
2015-06-08, 07:58 PM
http://wallpaper-yaport.ru/baza/2010/06/07/8f1322a5939d27f42409803781ff90d5.jpg

City of the Spider Queen
Part 1: Spinning the Web

You have responded to an urgent summons, whether directly or indirectly, to the hall of one Randal Morn, ruler of Daggerdale. Randal Morn has governed the war-torn Dale for more than four years now. Under his wise guidance, much of the damage done by the decades-long Zhent occupation has been repaired, and the folk of Daggerdale have begun to prosper again. The heroic story of Randal Morn's resistance against the Zhents and the restoration of his throne is widely known throughout the Dalelands.

The Lord of Daggerdale does not stand on ceremony, and he personally greets you at the doors of his hall. Leading you all to a comfortable study lined with bookshelves, he calls for refreshments. "I thank you all for coming so quickly," he begins. "I had heard that there were those who were keenly able to solve problems travelling through the area, so I sent out the call. Well, I think I have a problem that needs solving."

"Seven days ago, a band of drow raided several farms and freeholds about ten miles south of here. A number of people were killed, and the marauders caused much damage. Local militia tracked the drow band to the vicinity of an old set of crypts on the western edge of the Dagger Hills. Rumor has it that those crypts conceal an entrance to the Underdark."

"Three nights ago, the raiders returned and caused even more damage. I think the time has come for some experienced and capable adventurers to put a stop to these raids. We haven't had trouble with drow in Daggerdale for hundreds of years, and I have no idea what has stirred them up now." A steady hand reaches up to brush his long brown hair from his face before he evens a dtermined gaze at each of you. "Will you help me?"

Springjack
2015-06-08, 10:11 PM
An entrance to the Underdark. Noted. Adahn's voice was quiet, but strong, and each word was enunciated clearly. The Drow are getting greedy. To strike the same area multiple times is to invite retribution. The elf nodded to Lord Morn. Retribution that I'll be happy to deliver...

Normally this was the part where Adahn established a contract and worked out a (usually high) price for his services, but the Drow raids piqued his curiosity. He was interested to find out exactly what emboldened the dark elves in this vicinity and determined to stop the raids before they got out of hand. Since he had a personal desire to accept this mission, compensation was much more flexible. Still, business was business.

...but before I give you my final answer, let us attend to business first. Adahn steepled his fingers together and leveled his gaze at the Lord of Daggerdale. I'll be straight with you, Mr. Morn; your cause is noble and I want to help, but I am a mercenary by trade. Compensation for my services must be demanded, out of principle if nothing else.

The arcanist raised a slender finger and tapped his temple, seemingly lost in thought for a moment. Do you have an offer?

Beam
2015-06-08, 10:47 PM
Brotharis

"I'm here to pursue the Drow back into their holes and show them what happens when they skulk onto the surface. If that helps you...good." Brotharis dispassionately replies to the human lord. He loses interest as the self identified mercenary began negotiations. His vendetta was compensation in itself. Not that he would turn down rewards.

A question for Yanisa, is Tel'Malagdrin currently disguised and not obviously one with Drow blood?

Bhaakon
2015-06-09, 11:26 AM
Barnabus

As Lord Morn speaks, Barnabus takes a opportunity to comb back his greasy mane with his finger. These were civilized lands after all, and he'd even taken the extraordinary step of leaving his boon companion outside so he wouldn't rip the carpeting to shreds with his clod-busting claws. Morn was making a singular offer, after all, and while Barnabus didn't exactly need the man's permission to go hunting drow, a little help and a good set of directions were more than worth enduring a few minutes of polite society.

Finally the Lord has finished his talk--a brief one by lordly standard, thanks be to the Watcher of Wanderers--and it takes all of Barnabus's willpower to bite his tongue long enough for the mercenary to make his position clear. For his part, the dwarf agreed with the grim-looking elf. He stick out a dirty, callused hand for the Lord Morn to shake.

"You've the help of Barnabus Skytreader as well. I'll trust you and longshanks here can reach a fair deal for all of us, but I'm in either way." He raises a chin in the direction of Ahden, the tallest of the three other hunters summoned, and apparently the most mercenary. He'd just ruined the elf's bargaining position, of course, but it was no skin off Bandabus's back.

Yanisa
2015-06-09, 11:51 AM
Observing the others that responded the call Tel'Malagdrin was worried and quiet for a moment. Two elves and a dwarf, the types that really hate Drow. They wouldn't easily accept an Half-Drow as a comerage. Perhaps she should have come in disguise, then again she disliked hiding who she is. That is something Drow do and she wasn't one them anymore. It seemed they all shared a common hatred of Drow but which could be vary good or vary bad. Could she really trust these, did she need to trust them? She shook away her thoughts and decided to announce her presence.

"The Kinslayer is here, ready to offer her spear against the Drow." She hoped her title would be enough credit to avoid any hostility. "For the good of the people of Daggerdale." She wasn't doing this for a reward, the Drow were a threat to anyone and needed to be stopped. Worse they could also be on the look for her, attacking the same place twice seemed like a lure. Perhaps they were after her. Even if it wast personal she would at least help people and she wouldn't deny any reward.

To be extra clear, Tel'Malagdrin is not disguised and thus obvious half-Drow. Accepting quests she always does in person.

Bhaakon
2015-06-09, 12:08 PM
Barnabus flashes the half-elf a squint-eyed stared. He'd thought her skin was a touch dusky, but had put it down to a little too much sun. That had been stupid. No amount of sun tints an elf bruise-purple. He chalks his error up to being politely focused on his Lordship.

"Kinslayer, eh? So you're saying that you've some dark blood in your veins, but you still want to kill yer half-brethren?" Barnabus asks flatly. "Well maybe you do, but I don't know you yet, so I'd hear it straight from your mouth. I can tell if you're fibbing."

I'll spend a round of Discern Lies on this. Usually I don't like to use social skills or powers on fellow PCs, but this is both in-character and an easy way to sidestep a messy situation.

Beam
2015-06-09, 04:36 PM
Brotharis

He'd noticed the Drow-blooded one, of course. Rare. Even more rarely the product of a happy relationship. The dwarf seemed appropriately cautious, but it was unlikely a spy would so openly present herself in the center of a land under attack. Even so, she would bear watching.

Yanisa
2015-06-09, 11:07 PM
"Yes, I was born a Drow Father and Human mother." Tel'Malagdrin was worried, they did not know her reputation, but perhaps she could convince them of her good intentions with a brief telling of her origins. "But Drow hate what they call impure blood so they threated me like the worst of the worst. I escaped eventually and since then I tried to prove that I am better then the horrid blood that courses through my veins. I build up some small reputation here and there as Kinslayer because I viciously fight off any Drow raiding party that happens to cross my path."

Not a single lie, just very very brief. :smalltongue:

Bhaakon
2015-06-10, 12:01 AM
Barnabus studies the half-elf through squinted eyes, concentrating on her every word. It was important business, after all, deciding if this woman could be trusted to watch his back.

After an uncomfortably long pause, the dwarf finally nods. "Aye, makes sense to me, and good old Marty believes you." A nickname for his god that a more proper-minded cleric might find disrespectful, but none are here to complain. "Glad to have you along."