PDA

View Full Version : The "Liza Jane" III

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-04-24, 03:27 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m4/epiplectic/LizaJane.jpg

A lovely frigate of 38 guns is docked at the wharf, undergoing a bit of cleaning and repair before her next adventure.

The Liza is painted black with yellow trim and clearly built for speed. Her original, somewhat scandalous figurehead has been recently replaced; though prudish by sailors' standards, her pale blue eyes and long blonde braids are widely believed to bring the ship luck. Her captain's pirate flag (Sable, a skeleton playing the banjo Argent and over all upon a canton Azure bordured Or three bear's heads caboshed of the third) flies proudly from the maintopmast.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King and Alarra can be found here when the ship is at sea, and sometimes even when she's in port.

Notable NPCs of the ship:
-Janae Lamanderi, female elf; First Mate; an excellent navigator and a crack shot with any firearm, she is brusque and all business.
-Gaelon Halfpenn, male halfling; Second Mate; charming, talkative, and roguish, he and his cousin Whistrevanil often lead a team of fellow halflings on missions requiring stealth.
-Norman Thresk, male human; Ship's Arcanist; The academic Norman and his apprentices Sebacore and Xanilar maintain the Liza Jane's magic charms and blow things up in battle.
-Tessa Thresk, female human; Ship's Gunner; Norman's younger sister, Tessa's fiery temper is a perfect match for one overseeing her oft-fiesty guns. Her murderous halfling assistant Faelynn loves nothing quite so much as the smell of spent gunpowder.
-Jo-Ligh, male giant; Weathermaster; Wind and wave are at his command. Well over 8 feet tall, he wields a massive maul with terrible power in battle.
-Gaelith Glorymeade, female gnome; Surgeon; a touch absent-minded and jumpy, but a powerful healer. She and the undead-hating elvish cleric Adania keep the crew in good health.
-Chips, male dwarf; Carpenter; Unlike most of his kin, "Chips" and his crew have a deep affection for things wooden. Nobody knows his real name.
-Dovis, male half-orc; Bo'sun; a tough disciplinarian, but beloved by the crew and famously dangerous in battle. His human assistant Lothren wields a jagged black sword that he (and nobody else) is convinced is intelligent.
-Victor, male human?; Victor has been El Jaspero's loyal steward for years, and mothers him shamelessly. Battered and worn, it's unclear what race he actually is, other than "really old".
-Alilyn Loreweaver, female loresong faen; ship's clerk; Aliliyn is brilliant, charming, and is gifted of fantastic powers of memory, but she's utterly hopeless in combat. Once blades are drawn she is nearly always hiding behind the massive leg of her good friend Jo-Ligh.

A few notes on the Liza Jane:
-The boat is intensely magical; innumerable runes and crystals are inlaid into the various beams and interior surfaces. Her keel and ribs are, according to legend, fashioned from dragonbone and her sides and masts are solid darkwood.
-Several of her cannons are named and bear various charms of accuracy or lethality. Prized among them is Willful Murder, portside #3.
-The hull, decks, masts, sails, and rigging are charmed against fire.
-The Liza Jane also has 4 permanent unseen servants, which only respond to the most senior officer in a given area. They are typically used for menial tasks, but in battle they fetch powder and shot from the magazines, freeing valuable hands for firing the guns.

((Edit: As promised, deck plans and a cutaway (http://www.wanttaja.com/navlinks/SHIPVIEW.HTM)))

The "Liza Jane" I (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=town;action=display;num=1154288265;s tart=0#0)
The "Liza Jane" II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=920354#post920354)

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 03:31 PM
El J snorts. "At the rate Agneta's growing up, it'll be next week!"

He sips his llamanade and gently directs his guests to the new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42027).

Kyrian laughs. I know I can hardly wait.

Fenric
2007-04-24, 03:38 PM
Fenric smiles and sips his cola, enjoying that new-thread smell.

Ceika
2007-04-24, 03:38 PM
Seemingly happy to stay where she is, Ceika leans up against the forerail, still watching.

2007-04-24, 03:41 PM
The Pirate King grins and claps his son's shoulder. "Well, it at least sounds like you could use a refresher. Remind me and I'll take you along next cruise."

He gives a wry smile. "Of course with no sailing experience you'd be rated Able Seaman to start. Maybe being a god would earn you a mark or two, I'd have to check with Dovis. There's no favoritism, even for the Pirate King's son, and I won't pretend a sailor's life is an easy one."

El J nods to the red-haired siren observing from a quiet corner. "Still, you could find worse places to start a career at sea."

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 03:42 PM
Kyrian continues to watch Ceika out of the corner of his eye. I screwed a good friendship up. I showed her that there were still people to trust in this world, and then gave up hope and threw that trust away. I'm so sorry, my old friend, I failed you in the worst way possible... he thinks to himself.

He smiles at his father. I may just have to take you up on that offer.

Ceika
2007-04-24, 03:50 PM
Catching the pirate king's nod, she smiles kindly and returns it, though she seems to not notice, or at least not acknowledge, Kyrian's gaze.

McBish
2007-04-24, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure I would be much use swabing and loading cannons myself. Says Lillah as she slips out of NPC mode. But I am sure you could find something useful for me to do.

2007-04-24, 03:59 PM
El Jaspero grins. "The Liza Jane would be proud to have you. And of course there's plenty for a fine lass like yourself to do on a ship. Provided you don't mind heights, there's nothing to stop you from joining the riggers, for instance." He flags down a passing halfling for another llamanade, then turns back to his guests. "Kyrian, Lillah, would you care for anything? The Liza Jane's larders are at your command."

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 04:00 PM
Come on Dad...you work at Trog's, you should know by now I'll be asking for a rootbeer...

McBish
2007-04-24, 04:03 PM
Lillah shakes her head. No thank you. She just smiles at the suggestion of joining the riggers and takes it as a compliment that El J apparently forgot the fact that she is blind, and climbing while not particulary dangerous for her, could be a little annoying.

2007-04-24, 04:10 PM
El J was in fact not at all forgetting Lillah's blindness, but was instead expressing his confidence that an intelligent and nimble lass such as herself could most certainly learn the rigging of even a large frigate like the Liza Jane without much trouble at all.

This, of course, all remains unsaid as he sends the sailor off to fetch a rootbeer for Kyrian...and a glass of rum for Ceika.

Ceika
2007-04-24, 04:16 PM
Ceika chuckles to herself when one of the Lizas brings over a glass of rum. Taking the drink, she raises the glass toward El Jaspero, then takes a long slow drink.

McBish
2007-04-24, 04:23 PM
Just let us know next time you are going out. I warn you though I might only be able to be there some of the time. I often have to go see to things in my temple.

Eric slips in the crowd and most take him for another sailor here to raise a glass for the pirate king. Most don't recgonize him due to his new burn scars.

Ceika
2007-04-24, 04:24 PM
Ceika sips on her drink, watching the newcommer.

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 04:26 PM
Kyrian looks thoughtfully at his rootbeer then pulls half of it back in one go.

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 04:27 PM
Aesa appears next to Fenric without fanfare, nodding to the very few people she knows.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-04-24, 04:36 PM
*The llama snickers* "Its a birthday party on board a ship. We must be El J's "boarding party."

McBish
2007-04-24, 04:38 PM
Eric seems happy to grab a drink and watch people. He doesn't say much and stays out of the way.

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 04:39 PM
Kyrian notices Aesa, and gives a small nod her way. He drains the rest of his drink back.

Fenric
2007-04-24, 04:48 PM
Fenric offers Aesa his arm, and leads her toward El Jaspero

El J! There's someone I'd like you to meet.

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 04:49 PM
Aesa nods to Kyrian and sends him a telepathic message.
There's something I need to talk to you about- and certainly not here.
If you could meet me on my plane it would be best.
She smiles politely and takes Fenric's arm.

Fenric
2007-04-24, 04:51 PM
Fenric's player pre-posts because he has to go soon

El Jaspero, this is Aesa. She's a goddess as well... I know, town's full of 'em. Anyway she is in the same... department... as Inari and has been helping us out lately.

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 04:52 PM
Umm...ok...when?

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 04:55 PM
As soon as you'd like.

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 04:56 PM
Lillah, if you'll excuse me for a bit. Dad, happy birthday, and if you too will excuse me.

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 04:58 PM
Aesa remains exactly where she is.
There is a portal in the streets.

McBish
2007-04-24, 05:02 PM
Lillah gives Kyrian an odd look. Not going to get into a fight are you?

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 05:04 PM
No, no fighting. Kyrian kisses her on the cheek and vanishes.

McBish
2007-04-24, 05:13 PM
Lillah smiles and continues to watch the party.

She isn't the only one, Eric seems to be paying careful attention to the dockworkers that have shown up.

2007-04-24, 06:00 PM
El J takes Aesa's hand and bows with a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Aesa. A friend of Fenric's is a friend of mine. Might I ask what brings you to our Town?"

Alarra
2007-04-24, 06:08 PM
Alarra wanders over to meet the newcomer.

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 06:21 PM
Aesa smiles.
A pleasure to meet you as well. As for my reason for coming... it's a rather long story, Captain, and involves quite a few people you're probably not familiar with.
It's not my reason for staying, either. For the moment I'm content with watching what goes on.
Aesa suddenly realizes something.
You own Trog's, don't you?

2007-04-24, 06:26 PM
El Jaspero slips his hand with a casual ease that still brings a smile to his eye.

"Own it? Oh, no. I just manage it for him, while he's off being a demigod of smoke or whatever he's up to lately. So I suppose I have the most day-to-day contact with it, but it's not legally mine or anything."

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 06:28 PM
Ah. I was a little unclear on the issue.
She smiles amusedly.
You see, I ask because I've done more than a little... "freelance bartending" in the tavern. I hope you don't mind- Cosmo just fails to meet my standards.

Alarra
2007-04-24, 06:36 PM
Alarra laughs, "Everyone does that."

2007-04-24, 06:39 PM
El J nods emphatically. "Oh, indeed. Help yourself. Cosmo, while charming in his own way, certainly does have...things he could work on."

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 06:42 PM
Ah, well I think I took it to a new level. You might as well have hired me.
She grins and looks to Alarra.
So I take it you are Mrs. Jaspero, or would you prefer I call you something else?
Aesa holds out her hand.

Alarra
2007-04-24, 06:49 PM
"I am...and you can call me Alarra." Alarra takes the proffered hand gingerly.

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 06:51 PM
Alarra, what with being aligned with law and all, might get a rather confusing sense of a mixture between law and chaos embodied in Aesa.
A pleasure, Alarra.

Fenric
2007-04-24, 07:12 PM
Fenric smiles and watches patiently.

McBish
2007-04-24, 07:18 PM
Eric slips off the ship and goes to Trog's.

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 07:32 PM
Kyrian appears next to Lillah, and puts an arm around her.

McBish
2007-04-24, 07:33 PM
Everything ok?

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 07:37 PM
Kyrian kisses her cheek. Yup. Need to go NPC mode on you though. Player needs to get off here and type a ten page paper.

McBish
2007-04-24, 07:39 PM
Ok then. She wraps an arm around his waist.

Kyrian
2007-04-24, 07:40 PM
Kyrian kisses her cheek again, and falls to NPC mode.

2007-04-24, 07:48 PM
At a nod from his Captain, Dovis raises his whistle and tears the air with a shrill note.

Ladies and gentlemen, your host has asked me to inform you that he hopes you will all join him for dinner at Sneak's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41395). He has reserved the super-duper-ginormous table, and bids you all welcome.

The bo'sun tucks his whistle into his vest with a smile, then joins the flow of sailors and guests headed up into Town. El Jaspero takes Alarra in one hand and Agneta in the other; Kint and Ala drop out of the rigging as silently as possible, and the family makes their way down the gangplank and up to the Restaurante.

AmberVael
2007-04-24, 07:49 PM
Aesa vanishes.

Fenric
2007-04-24, 07:50 PM
Fenric heads off to Sneak's

McBish
2007-04-24, 07:51 PM
Lillah and Kyrian vanish and go to Sneaks.

Ceika
2007-04-24, 08:03 PM
Ceika lingers behind for a bit, then heads into town.

2007-05-13, 08:51 PM
Captain on deck! Look smart, ye swabs!

Janae gives an unnecessary but ritual holler to the sailors as Dovis' whistle tears the evening air, announcing the arrival of Liza's captain. He smiles and heads for the cabin, waving for Norman to follow him.