PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] gaining class-abilities

paranoidbox
2015-06-09, 04:43 AM
Hi all! Just wondering about something in order to refine a character I'm playing. I tried looking in previous threads, but I didn't find this question and I don't have super high hopes for it anyway, but I thought I'd ask because a lot of people here know the ins and outs of the game much better than I do.

So here goes:

1) Is it possible to get bardic music through acquiring feats, spells of 5th level or lower (divine or arcane), or magic items only? For reasons, I cannot take PrC's or extra levels in bard.

2) Same as above, is it possible to get turn undead that way?

3) What about flurry of blows?

Thanks in advance!

Saintheart
2015-06-09, 07:36 AM
(1) Protege, Bard 6, Complete Adventurer. Gives a target of your selection bardic abilities for a short period. Never mind, has to be level 5 or lower :smallfrown: Beyond this, with the restrictions you've got, you're probably down to the incredibly cheesy argument that if you have and can play a Masterwork Lute, it makes you into a bard by one interpretation of RAW.

(2) Sort of: Bone Talisman spell. Druid 2. Turns a bone into a turn attempt and therefore gives you turn undead at least for the duration of the spell. Find it here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a).

(3) ...dunno.

For future reference: Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1068066).

Uncle Pine
2015-06-09, 07:57 AM
1- Protegé is a 4th level Bard spell (Spell Compendium).
2- Bone Talisman.
3- Tashalatora works, but only if you have levels in a psionic class.

What kind of character do you need these for? Maybe there's a way to stuff them in the build.

Rubik
2015-06-09, 08:02 AM
The master fiddle from Savage Species allows you to use inspire courage, countersong, fascinate, suggestion, and inspire greatness as a lvl 9 bard. You'll have to UMD your race as grig, though.

The shroud crown from Player's Guide to Faerun grants turn undead as a lvl 10 cleric, as well.

paranoidbox
2015-06-09, 08:27 AM
Beyond this, with the restrictions you've got, you're probably down to the incredibly cheesy argument that if you have and can play a Masterwork Lute, it makes you into a bard by one interpretation of RAW.

Hah, that's probably not going to fly :D

(1)For future reference: Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1068066).

Thank you for the suggestions and the list of stuff. I'll take a look at the Bone Talisman.

1- Protegé is a 4th level Bard spell (Spell Compendium).
2- Bone Talisman.
3- Tashalatora works, but only if you have levels in a psionic class.

1- I see, Protégé is indeed a 4th level Bard spell. Thanks! Though, seeing as it mentions that the recipient receives half Bard levels of the caster, it might not work if my non-Bard character is the caster?
3- I don't have levels in a psionic class.

What kind of character do you need these for? Maybe there's a way to stuff them in the build.

We're playing a somewhat self-made version of E6 (with spells that go up to 5th level for full casters) and my character is a gish-type stalwart battlesorcerer who has more in common with the chameleon PrC than anything else. Mid-op is somewhat the norm in this game which is why I'm broadbasing and trying to collect class abilites that might be useful.

The master fiddle from Savage Species allows you to use inspire courage, countersong, fascinate, suggestion, and inspire greatness as a lvl 9 bard. You'll have to UMD your race as grig, though.
The shroud crown from Player's Guide to Faerun grants turn undead as a lvl 10 cleric, as well.

Thanks! Those are interesting. UMD shouldn't be too much of a problem... although hitting 25 might take some doing.

As an aside, I'm not sure if I'm doing the multiquote thing correctly... I guess we'll find out!

Aleolus
2015-06-09, 08:52 AM
For gaining Flurry, I think a Monks Belt gives it as a 5th level monk...I might be wrong though

Rubik
2015-06-09, 08:58 AM
For gaining Flurry, I think a Monks Belt gives it as a 5th level monk...I might be wrong thoughNah, that's just the unarmed strike damage and AC progression. It doesn't give you the flurry class feature.

Darrin
2015-06-09, 09:04 AM
2) Same as above, is it possible to get turn undead that way?

A few methods:

Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (Dragon Compendium) can give you turn undead 1/day.

God-Touched + Divine Channeler from Dragon #305 can also give you turn undead 1/day.

Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment -> Sun Domain from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting will give you turn undead as a cleric. However, this domain was only intended to be used for the Mystic class, and would be considered "dubious" by many DMs.

3) What about flurry of blows?

If you polymorph into a brood monkey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a), you can get Flurry of Blows (Ex).

paranoidbox
2015-06-09, 09:40 AM
Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (Dragon Compendium) can give you turn undead 1/day.

God-Touched + Divine Channeler from Dragon #305 can also give you turn undead 1/day.

Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment -> Sun Domain from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting will give you turn undead as a cleric. However, this domain was only intended to be used for the Mystic class, and would be considered "dubious" by many DMs.

If you polymorph into a brood monkey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a), you can get Flurry of Blows (Ex).

Necromantic Bloodline would have been perfect, but I already picked up some healing spells in the earlier phases of my character's career, so that would be a shame to have to give those up.

Is God Touched a template? I can't find it as a feat. Also, Dragon Magazine feats are so hard to find online :-/

Is the Catalogues of Enlightenment solely to get access to the Sun Domain's power? Does the Dragonlance version of the domain explicitely give you turn attempts? Because the SRD-version only allows you to substitute a regular one into a great one, if I'm reading that right.

LOL, oh polymorph... is there anything it can't do? (Rhetorical, don't answer.)

Darrin
2015-06-09, 10:00 AM
Is God Touched a template? I can't find it as a feat. Also, Dragon Magazine feats are so hard to find online :-/

It's a feat, but yes, it's not commonly found online. It's not related to the God-Blooded template in MM5.

Is the Catalogues of Enlightenment solely to get access to the Sun Domain's power? Does the Dragonlance version of the domain explicitely give you turn attempts? Because the SRD-version only allows you to substitute a regular one into a great one, if I'm reading that right.

The Dragonlance version's Granted Power: "Turn or destroy undead as a good cleric. Use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This is a supernatural ability."

Which reminds me... you may be able to use the PHB version of the Sun domain to get Greater Turning 1/day, as Greater Turning doesn't specify what a "regular turning" is. So take something like Fey Bloodline or Plant Bloodline, Kin Mastery, then Planar Touchstone -> Sun Domain (PHB version) to convert one of your "turn fey/plant/etc." into a Greater Turn Undead. Not exactly ironclad from a rules standpoint, though.

paranoidbox
2015-06-09, 11:20 AM
It's a feat, but yes, it's not commonly found online. It's not related to the God-Blooded template in MM5.

I found them. The God Touched route seems to be the easiest to go, seeing as the planes aren't really in play and we're not in dragonlance.

Thanks!