PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Highest Knowledge check DC ever printed?

Jowgen
2015-06-09, 06:03 AM
So yeah, what it says on the tin. Does anybody know what the highest DC for a knowledge check to know something ever printed in a 1st party (inc drag mag) 3.0-3.5e resource is?

The highest I'm aware of is DC 55 from Elder Evils p. 145; which is to know everything about the battle between Asmodeus and the Elder Evil Zargon.

PsyBomb
2015-06-09, 06:51 AM
I think the ELH has something in the 150 range, but I don't have it in front of me to check. Then again, ELH, so that's almost cheating

Rubik
2015-06-09, 07:02 AM
Devastation vermin require a DC 138 Knowledge check to learn anything about them, though that's "printed" in a somewhat roundabout way.

Jowgen
2015-06-10, 03:42 AM
I think the ELH has something in the 150 range, but I don't have it in front of me to check. Then again, ELH, so that's almost cheating

I checked it and there doesn't seem to be anything in there :smallfrown:

Devastation vermin require a DC 138 Knowledge check to learn anything about them, though that's "printed" in a somewhat roundabout way.

Not familiar with that one. How's it work? :smallconfused:

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-10, 03:47 AM
Not familiar with that one. How's it work? :smallconfused:

Standard formula for the Knowledge DC to ID a creature is 10+HD, so Devastation Vermin are DC 138. You'd think it would be easier to know a giant spider when you see one, but whatever :smallsigh:

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-10, 04:38 AM
Standard formula for the Knowledge DC to ID a creature is 10+HD, so Devastation Vermin are DC 138. You'd think it would be easier to know a giant spider when you see one, but whatever :smallsigh:

The DC is -5 for "OH MY GOD RUN AWAY!!!" :smalltongue:

Kraken
2015-06-10, 05:20 AM
The DC is -5 for "OH MY GOD RUN AWAY!!!" :smalltongue:

Heh, I'm now envisioning a sufficiently stupid character with enough debuffs (negative levels, bestow curse, whatever) to actually fail to hit a -5 DC, and start trying to pet it affectionately to befriend it.

OldTrees1
2015-06-10, 05:27 AM
I believe the highest DC is 10+HD+5X where X is how much information you will learn about the creature.

Killer Angel
2015-06-10, 06:08 AM
Heh, I'm now envisioning a sufficiently stupid character with enough debuffs (negative levels, bestow curse, whatever) to actually fail to hit a -5 DC, and start trying to pet it affectionately to befriend it.

You only need a vague DM. "you see a big spider in front of you..." :smalltongue:

Timy
2015-06-10, 12:00 PM
You only need a vague DM. "you see a big spider in front of you..." :smalltongue:

"Every one makes a spot check.
- I got a 24
- I got a 16
- I got a 3
- Ok, all of you see 4 beetles coming your way. They are about 2000 feet from you for now.
- Oh cool ! I there a concert ?
- Nope. Beetles, without a "a" but double "e".
Player who fumbled computes informations.

- I saw them ?
- Yes
- From 2000 feet away ?
- Yes. About 1500 feet now.
- RUN !!!!!!"