PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Shaman Feats

GreenSerpent
2015-06-09, 07:57 AM
Yo.

Quick query since I've looked through assorted handbooks and such and I can't find much. What feats are good for a Human Spirit Shaman 10 (not planning on prestiging out)?

I'm probably going with Scribe Scroll as one of them so I can do some crafting in spare time.

Marlowe
2015-06-09, 08:08 AM
Scribe scroll is generally considered pretty poor return for a crafting feat. If you get it as part and parcel of a class ability it's a different story. You're better off with Craft Wondrous Item.

Everyone is going to tell you to try to get Dynamic Priest, which makes the SS Charisma-SAD. Trouble is it's from Dragonlance: Legend of the Twins, which is not official material and indeed, only ever gets mentioned in respect to the Spirit Shaman and Archivist (the latter for Academic Priest, which makes an Archivist Int-SAD).

You might like to look at Spontaneous Summoner.

GreenSerpent
2015-06-09, 08:17 AM
Alas, I don't believe Dynamic Priest is allowed but I have good WIS and CHA scores (16 and 17 base respectively) and appropriate stat boosting items.

Spontaneous Summoner and Healer I've considered (although Healer suffers from only granting Cure spells so it kinda fades out without Heal/Mass Heal).

Marlowe
2015-06-09, 08:26 AM
I don't think you can take Healer very easily because you don't have K/Religion as a class skill, strangely enough.

Big question is are you starting at level 10, or starting from the beginning and planning to play 'til 10?

SS has problems at early levels because of the low number of spells that can be recalled on any given day, which is why things like Spontaneous Summoner are useful. At higher levels this isn't as much of an issue.

Rebel7284
2015-06-09, 08:37 AM
Try Versatile Spellcaster.

More high level slots is always good for a caster.

Gnaeus
2015-06-09, 08:43 AM
I don't think you can take Healer very easily because you don't have K/Religion as a class skill, strangely enough.

Big question is are you starting at level 10, or starting from the beginning and planning to play 'til 10?

SS has problems at early levels because of the low number of spells that can be recalled on any given day, which is why things like Spontaneous Summoner are useful. At higher levels this isn't as much of an issue.

I found it to be an issue at every level.

Spontaneous summoner is always good, unless you have a DM (like mine) who will restrict SNA from working sometimes.

I would take craft wands over scrolls or wondrous for a S Shaman. Make some wands of the long duration Druid spells like heart of x and primal x, that you want but don't want to fill a slot with once per day.

If you can pick your gear, try for a Ring of the Beast (to let your summons cast one level higher) and raiment of the 4 (for converting spells).

GreenSerpent
2015-06-09, 10:10 AM
Starting at level 10. Pathfinder skills are being used so I have a decent number of skill points to spare.

I'd forgotten about Versatile Spellcaster!

nedz
2015-06-09, 10:24 AM
The Fey, or Fiendish, Heritage line is one option. For 3 feats you can pick up 6 SLAs — which give you more options.

Metamagic is tricky because you have to apply it before retrieving. Rods are a reasonable solution or you could look at the Sudden Feats. Sudden Widen is worth considering since it's a +4 metamagic and you will struggle to find situations where it's useful more that once per day anyway.

Energy Substitution could be useful and Energy Substitution (electricity) is a pre-req for Born of The Three Thunders. Both of these are +0 metamagics.

A few Reserve feats are possibly useful, though they do tie up your spells known. Summon Elemental or Dimensional Jaunt for instance.

If you can persuade your DM that Chastise Spirits counts as Turn Undead (it is very similar to the optional channelling rules) then the domain/devotion feats would be open.

Extra Divine Power(Spirit Form) and Extended Spirit Form are designed for Spirit Shaman, but these are from Dragon Magazine (DR343 p91) so might not be available.

Magic of the Land is an option, albeit a weak one.

The Summoning feats you are aware of.

Try Versatile Spellcaster.

More high level slots is always good for a caster.

Not so much for Spirit Shaman. You have plenty of high level spell slots just too few spells retrieved.

Zaq
2015-06-09, 02:15 PM
I like building characters like this as having really high perception. You have Spot and Listen as class skills, you have good WIS, you get Alertness for free from your spirit guide, and the Druid spell list has some pretty fun spells related to perception (like Linked Perception and Listening Lorecall). Keen-Eared Scout (PHB2) is a fun feat in a situation like that, especially if you take Quick Reconnoiter (CAdv) as well. Sure, it doesn't directly make your magic better, but never underestimate the ability to foil ambushes or other attempts at stealth.

Throw a few points into Diplomacy (it's a class skill, and you have to have decent CHA anyway) and you can get some fun mileage out of Spirit Sense (Heroes of Horror). It's very thematically appropriate for a Spirit Shaman, and it can lead to some entertaining roleplaying. (I'd suggest Intimidate to threaten unhelpful spirits with your Chastise Spirits ability, but Diplomacy is a class skill for you and Intimidate isn't, so whatever.)