PDA

View Full Version : Runestaffs.

Metahuman1
2015-06-09, 01:06 PM
So, I'm looking to make one an ancesteral relic for my Sorcerer, and I'm trying to figure a couple of things out.

First, what's the highest level spell you can put on one?

Second, how many spells of each spell level can you put on one maximum.

Appreciate the help!

Bad Wolf
2015-06-09, 01:23 PM
Don't think there's a limit.

Troacctid
2015-06-09, 02:04 PM
The limit is set by the Ancestral Relic feat. Refer to the chart for the maximum gp value of your item. You can't have a runestaff that would be priced above the limit.

Metahuman1
2015-06-09, 05:19 PM
The limit is set by the Ancestral Relic feat. Refer to the chart for the maximum gp value of your item. You can't have a runestaff that would be priced above the limit.

Right, but I'm trying to find out if aside from that there's something else. Some Clause somewhere that says they can only ahve upt to 7th level spells or can only have up too two spells of the same spell level on the same staff or it's in so far as those two points go it's basically free range to set up as you like?

Troacctid
2015-06-09, 05:40 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has the rules for runestaves. It recommends that custom runestaves contain two to five spells of 3rd level or higher that are thematically linked. As with most custom items, the "rules" are more like guidelines, so talk to your DM about what is and is not permissible.

Venger
2015-06-09, 05:48 PM
Right, but I'm trying to find out if aside from that there's something else. Some Clause somewhere that says they can only ahve upt to 7th level spells or can only have up too two spells of the same spell level on the same staff or it's in so far as those two points go it's basically free range to set up as you like?

there is no such clause. my first instinct is to suggest you might be conflating runestaves' rules with the rules for staves, but they can also hold spells of any level, so I'm not sure where you got 7th from. rules are on p224 of the mic.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-09, 05:55 PM
IIRC in some FR books (LEoF I think) there are rules for a magic item that it is between a wand and staff, it worked with level 4-7 spells and it was a spell completion.

Venger
2015-06-09, 06:17 PM
IIRC in some FR books (LEoF I think) there are rules for a magic item that it is between a wand and staff, it worked with level 4-7 spells and it was a spell completion.

I believe you're talking about "crowns" or "spellcrowns". either way, they were a metal hat that had a point for each spell you had on it, kinda like a beholder.

Hiro Quester
2015-06-09, 06:20 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has the rules for runestaves. It recommends that custom runestaves contain two to five spells of 3rd level or higher that are thematically linked. As with most custom items, the "rules" are more like guidelines, so talk to your DM about what is and is not permissible.

And I think there was an errata or something that also removed that lower limit, too. There are many reasons to want to add a 2nd level spell to a runestaff (esp. For a sorcerer who wants to expand his list of spells known, and if you want to apply persistent spell to such a spell).

EDIT : yep. The last entry in the MIC errata:

Page 224 – Creating New Runestaffs
[Revision]
Delete the last sentence of the first paragraph. There are a number of runestaffs with spells lower than 3rd level

Metahuman1
2015-06-09, 06:40 PM
I wasn't sure if there actually was such a rule somewhere or not. I didn't recall reading it specifically, but it's the sort of detail that has been known to blind side me from time to time before and I wanted to hammer that out before play began.

Anyway, much appreciated everyone!

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-09, 06:49 PM
I believe you're talking about "crowns" or "spellcrowns". either way, they were a metal hat that had a point for each spell you had on it, kinda like a beholder.

Nope, I was thinking about scepters (can hold two spells up to 7th level and they have 50 charges) cost to create is (CLxHighest level spellX 750)+(CLx spell level x 375)

Thurbane
2015-06-13, 10:33 PM
EDIT : yep. The last entry in the MIC errata:

Thanks for pointing out that errata, I've often wanted to create lower cost Runestaffs as treasure.

Venger
2015-06-13, 10:50 PM
Thanks for pointing out that errata, I've often wanted to create lower cost Runestaffs as treasure.

oh yeah, they're tons of fun. really great with boosting the versatility of the prix fixe casters.

With a box
2015-06-14, 12:13 AM
Is there no upper limit for how many spells a (rune)staffs can have?
Can I make a runstaff that holds every spell in 3.5? XD

Venger
2015-06-14, 12:16 AM

correct. there are no actual limits in mic, they're just guidelines. however, don't do that because once you get it over 200k, it becomes an epic item and instantly costs 10x as much.

lord_khaine
2015-06-14, 06:54 AM

Actually that depends on if your the GM or a player.

If your the GM then the answer is "yes".

If not then its "maybe", since you need your GM's permission to create a new type of magical item.

Thurbane
2015-06-15, 02:07 AM
So if I understand correctly, I could have a custom Runestaff for my Bard as follows:

1x 1st level spell, 1x 2nd level spell, 1x 3rd level spell (thematically linked) = 3x3x400 + 2x2x200 + 1x1x200 = 4,600gp, is this right?

Now all I need to do is find three good, thematically linked, spells. :smallsmile:

Venger
2015-06-15, 06:51 AM
So if I understand correctly, I could have a custom Runestaff for my Bard as follows:

1x 1st level spell, 1x 2nd level spell, 1x 3rd level spell (thematically linked) = 3x3x400 + 2x2x200 + 1x1x200 = 4,600gp, is this right?

Now all I need to do is find three good, thematically linked, spells. :smallsmile:

yes, that is correct.

Hiro Quester
2015-06-15, 08:52 AM

That sounds right.

My previous Bard/SC character made one like that with shield spell, blade weave, heroics, dragonskin, and greater magic weapon (for preparing for combat).

Esp. after taking persistent spell feat, a runestaff with low-level persistable spells like shield and swift fly is very useful.