PDA

View Full Version : Manipulating NPC Wizards

FocusWolf413
2015-06-09, 01:19 PM
My party is in control of an NPC wizard. His spell list is the following:

Feats: Collegiate Wizard, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Explosvie Spell, Scribe Scroll.

Spells Known (Wiz 4/5/3/2): 0 -- Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Resistance, Touch of Fatigue;

1st -- Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Endure Elements, Expeditious Retreat, Identify, Low-Light Vision, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Orb of Sound, Lesser, Protection from Good, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp, Unseen Servant;

2nd -- Blindness/Deafness, Detect Thoughts, Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Hypnotic Pattern, Molten Strike, Tasha`s Hideous Laughter, Touch of Idiocy;

3rd -- Dispel Magic, Fireball, Fly, Suggestion.

The party (6th level druid, cutthroat soulknife, paladin) doesn't exactly have a lot of money, but we can probably work something out. I'm not sure how much time we have. What should we do with him?

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-09, 01:23 PM
custom magic item based on touch of idiocy. Maybe a handwrap for the soulknife to charge his blade with the effects of the spell 1/day?

Wand of dispel magic or fly would go a long way if you got someone with UMD.

FocusWolf413
2015-06-09, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, nobody has UMD. How much would the touch of idiocy item be?

Btw, I'm the soulknife.

Gnaeus
2015-06-09, 01:35 PM

Btw, I'm the soulknife.

The paladin can use the wand of dispel magic. So can the Druid, but he is more likely to have something useful to do than the paladin.

The Druid can also cooperate with him to make an item requiring Druid spells. A CLW wand for starters. Healing belts. Amulets of natural armor or mighty fists. Lots of choices.

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-09, 04:30 PM

Btw, I'm the soulknife.

Looking at table 7-33 of the 3.5 DMG SRD, page 285 and 288.

Spell effect: Command word: spell level x caster level x 1800

2 X 6 X 1800 = 21600 base

1/day: divide by 5: 4320 GP,

DM will tell you if there are additional material costs that need to be fronted. Maybe you need sew orc diapers with cockatrice feathers in order to magic-ify the handwraps or something. DMs can get pretty mean about customized magic items. Other DMs won't care. If there is an XP value that your DM assigns, it is customary in many groups to compensate friendly crafters about 5GP for each XP spent.

It should take up either a bracers or a ring slot at a minimum, otherwise multiply the price by 2 to have it not take up a traditional magic item slot. This price puts this thing in a gauntlets of ogre power/headband of intellect cost range. If the ability is transferable to any melee weapon, not just soulknife blades, I would keep this price. If it is a mind-blade use only item, I would drop that price by about ~1,000 GP to get a nice estimate of 3000 gp for such an item. The ability to loan such a thing to other beatsticks increases the utility of the item about ~1000gp in my book.

The for each 1000gp in the base price, it takes a day to craft. So five days for this lil diddy.

This would be the cost for what I'm going to call "hand wraps of stupefaction" if such a thing were listed in the DMs Guide. The cost of crafting them would be half of that price: 2160 GP. This is how much it would cost to craft this item for the wizard. He might want a profit or something else on top of that. At level 6, you are supposed to have 13,000GP in total WBL so, you should be able to afford such a thing, which will put a hurting on casters that you manage to hit...once a day. Right now, before it comes up, discuss if this ability would affect all opponents hit by your 9th level bladewind ability, otherwise your DM will grow to hate custom magic items and future players will be hurt.

EDIT:
As part of the working things out clause, you should try to play up how much business you can drum up for a wizard willing to craft items for JUST SOULKNIVES. They have so little support as it is, and I'm sure that through training and whatnot you have some sort of loose affiliation with others of your ilk.
Most wizards don't understand psionics very well, even fewer understand the artists that can craft mental weapons in their hands. By setting up in this niche market, all sorts of fellows will travel to and spend good money on soulknife themed equipment. Explain to the wizard character how much potential wealth is to be generated through this, enough to fund whatever dreams this wizard has with his future.
Expeditious retreat alone really helps this class out of some of the more routine mundane jams they tend to get into, because lets be honest, when your only psychic ability is to make weapons appear in your hands, you get into jams, violent jams, all the time. By using this argument, you may set up this NPC as a future outfitter for all of your soulknife needs.
What you really want is not touch of idiocy, but an amulet or something that adds an additional +1 or +2 to your effective soulknife mindblade enhancement level so you can flameburst and keen mindblades at earlier levels. This is what you really want. Because why can't soulknives have a +5 wounding weapon?

FocusWolf413
2015-06-10, 12:16 AM
Looking at table 7-33 of the 3.5 DMG SRD, page 285 and 288.

Spell effect: Command word: spell level x caster level x 1800

2 X 6 X 1800 = 21600 base

1/day: divide by 5: 4320 GP,

DM will tell you if there are additional material costs that need to be fronted. Maybe you need sew orc diapers with cockatrice feathers in order to magic-ify the handwraps or something. DMs can get pretty mean about customized magic items. Other DMs won't care. If there is an XP value that your DM assigns, it is customary in many groups to compensate friendly crafters about 5GP for each XP spent.

It should take up either a bracers or a ring slot at a minimum, otherwise multiply the price by 2 to have it not take up a traditional magic item slot. This price puts this thing in a gauntlets of ogre power/headband of intellect cost range. If the ability is transferable to any melee weapon, not just soulknife blades, I would keep this price. If it is a mind-blade use only item, I would drop that price by about ~1,000 GP to get a nice estimate of 3000 gp for such an item. The ability to loan such a thing to other beatsticks increases the utility of the item about ~1000gp in my book.

The for each 1000gp in the base price, it takes a day to craft. So five days for this lil diddy.

This would be the cost for what I'm going to call "hand wraps of stupefaction" if such a thing were listed in the DMs Guide. The cost of crafting them would be half of that price: 2160 GP. This is how much it would cost to craft this item for the wizard. He might want a profit or something else on top of that. At level 6, you are supposed to have 13,000GP in total WBL so, you should be able to afford such a thing, which will put a hurting on casters that you manage to hit...once a day. Right now, before it comes up, discuss if this ability would affect all opponents hit by your 9th level bladewind ability, otherwise your DM will grow to hate custom magic items and future players will be hurt.

EDIT:
As part of the working things out clause, you should try to play up how much business you can drum up for a wizard willing to craft items for JUST SOULKNIVES. They have so little support as it is, and I'm sure that through training and whatnot you have some sort of loose affiliation with others of your ilk.
Most wizards don't understand psionics very well, even fewer understand the artists that can craft mental weapons in their hands. By setting up in this niche market, all sorts of fellows will travel to and spend good money on soulknife themed equipment. Explain to the wizard character how much potential wealth is to be generated through this, enough to fund whatever dreams this wizard has with his future.
Expeditious retreat alone really helps this class out of some of the more routine mundane jams they tend to get into, because lets be honest, when your only psychic ability is to make weapons appear in your hands, you get into jams, violent jams, all the time. By using this argument, you may set up this NPC as a future outfitter for all of your soulknife needs.
What you really want is not touch of idiocy, but an amulet or something that adds an additional +1 or +2 to your effective soulknife mindblade enhancement level so you can flameburst and keen mindblades at earlier levels. This is what you really want. Because why can't soulknives have a +5 wounding weapon?

I specifically mentioned a cutthroat soulknife because we're also using pathfinder stuff. In 3.5, are there any items that enhance a mindblade? I know there's the adamantine gauntlets, but is that it?
Also, this is great, but I don't exactly have the money to throw around. Yes, my wbl is like 13k, but that was spent. We don't have much. I will definitely get that item later if I can, though. It seems great.

Diarmuid
2015-06-10, 10:32 AM
If you dont have money, pimp the wizard out for spellcasting services.