PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Charges!

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-24, 04:55 PM
Cha-ching!

Im going to be the artificer in my next campaign, and he is characterized by being totally in love with money, to put it bluntly. Additionally he is NE, though not in a HUGE way.

Normally, I would just make stuff for my friends for the cost of the materials I would need to make the item. However, I find it hard to justify RP wise not to ask for a surcharge of some sort, considering.

Seeing as how I will be getting a feat that reduces crafting costs 25%, do you guys think its reasonable for me to charge the normal crafting price for items, and keep that 25% for my own pockets? Should I just pretend my character is generous with his XP and time in this one instance?

I'm not entirely sure what to do!

Kel_Arath
2007-04-24, 04:59 PM
He's obsessed with money and is evil, charge those mo's!

brian c
2007-04-24, 05:00 PM
Charge like 10% less than the normal cost of materials; that way you're still making money, and your friends think that you're being nice to them

Yahzi
2007-04-24, 06:49 PM
He's evil? And obsessed with money?

He should charge 2 gp less than the going rate. And then, he should put on a disguise, sneak into town, and pretend he wants to buy every single magic item for 10x the going rate, so that prices will go up. If he finds somebody that doesn't raise prices, he should set fire to them.

Or maybe, just set fire to their house. If he's feeling nice that day.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-24, 07:12 PM
Some decidedly more anti-team ideas flying around here than i thought, lol.

....not that I disagree :smallwink:

I suppose Ill just wing it, Im pretty sure my fellow players would enjoy haggling with me anyway. Lots of yelling and opposed appraise checks and gesticulating wildly about the overpricedness or how hard that I worked on it.

Good times, lol.

My only reservation is that the artificer guide, which is flawless and awsome in every way, has a whole section saying that you shouldnt charge extra to your party in any circumstances, ever.

Well, huh!

I probably will still stick a reasonable pricetag on them. After all, my XP is priceless, eh?

Orzel
2007-04-24, 07:16 PM
Do like the industry. Have 3 different prices.
The base price for yourself.
The 10% more price for friends.
and the 25% more price for chumps and chumpettes.