PDA

View Full Version : Life on the Frontier (IC)

EclecticGuru
2015-06-09, 05:28 PM
PRELUDE
(From the POV of the Adventurers)

"So its a three day trip on the road to get to that trading post, what's it called ... Left Leg's?" Blazec waved his hand in a round-about dismissive manner.

"Ooch, lad. It's Oleg's Trading Post, and its five days. But we'll have a few stops along the way to re-provision, so we won't need to worry about all the last minute gear until we get to the trading post." Dragan was calculating in his head how many rations they'd need, how much everything would weigh, and so forth.

"What about them?" Andrei indicated the rather sizable entourage that they had assembled, mostly at Dragan's request.

"Who?" Blazec looked right through the hirelings and henchmen as if they weren't there. But then his eyes focused on them sharply. "I'm just jesting, fellows. Relax." His toothy smile was disarming to say the least. He addressed his fellow adventurers. "What do you mean what about them?"

"I mean, what about them. Supplies, tents, things like that. You know. Things. For them." Andrei patted the side of his horse, already losing track of what they were talking about.

"I'm sure my old man has everything covered." Radu smiled toward the elder Lyttleton.

"Hold on hold on." Blazec crossed his tattooed arms across his chest. "They all got a bunch of coin up front to handle all those details. That and we made it clear they'd be sharing in the fruits of the land, such as it is."

"Wait. Sharing?!" Dragan scowled. "I thought we agreed on a five way split. One share for each of us, and one share for agreed upon group expenses. The value of items acquired to be set at an appraised sale value, not expected purchase price. We're not sharing with them, too, are we? That's not traditional ...."

"No." Blazec announced. "The fruits of the land. You know. They get to keep the value of their labor and the resources they gather -- after expenses of course. There's a whole wild frontier out there, lush fertile lands, minerals, wild animals and their furs, and so much lumber you could shake a stick at it. And we'll be clearing all the monsters and bandits out of the way for them. What a sweet deal for them, right?"

"Like I said," Radu cut in again. "My old man used to run an entire estate. I'm sure he can manage a glorified hunting/fishing trip like this."

"What about that other noble-man. The one with his own retinue. The Lebeda fellow. I assumed he was going to manage things." Dragan dug around his pouch for some pipe weed.

"Wait. House Lebeda? As in House in-bed-a with the Surtovas?" Andrei looked up from his horse for a moment, before returning his attention to the fine beast.

"You say Lebeda. I say Lebada." Blazec laughed. "Let's not worry about it. They'll work it out among themselves. Let's ride. I'm bored already."

"Ooch, come on lads, let's get going. You don't want to fall behind. The southern road runs right alongside bandit territory." Dragan shepherded the hirelings and henchmen along as the party began its journey with the first long day of many ahead.

THE BATTLE AT OLEG'S TRADING POST

The five day trip to the so-called Oleg's Trading Post was easy, and though it would have been nice to take advantage of the safety of the palisade walls and a roof over your heads, there just simply wasn't enough room for the hirelings to bed down in the quaint frontier outpost. The adventurers took the beds inside, and their horses and personal gear took the stables and courtyard.

Hopes of resupplying here for the last time before heading deeper south into the Greenbelt were dashed, however, as it was clear that Oleg was having supply issues.

"Listen up, it appears that Oleg's been shaked down by a bunch of good for nothing bandit types, so rather than look for adventure -- it has come looking for us. If these bandits keep the same routine, they should be here tomorrow afternoon, so we're bedding down here. We don't want to scare the bandits off, so the rest of you are going to head well out of sight, to the north of the road, until we give you the all clear." Andrei briefed the hirelings, his attention split evenly among them, but perhaps just a bit more to his cousin, Kliment.

"If you see fire, or hear any loud noises, don't worry. That'll just be us taking care of the bandits." Blazec grinned, flexing his hands into fists, which caused the tattoos on his forearms to almost seem as if they were coming alive. Tattoos of dragons.

"I'd prefer to do it quietly." Radu didn't seem like he was quite up to the task of arguing with Blazec, but he did let his preferences be known.

"Maybe we should try to parley first. They are outlaws, true, but this is outlaw territory, and having allies among them might make exploring and taming the land easier." Andrei sounded well-intentioned at least.

"If what Oleg's wife said about these bandits is true, we don't want to take any chances with them. We can question them after we've subdued them." Dragan lectured his fellows.

"Subdued. Right." Blazec smirked.

It was mid-morning -- just after breakfast -- when the hirelings and henchmen heard the first sounds of mayhem. Shouts, desperate warning cries, followed by a crackling whoosh -- and screams of pain. More warning shouts, accompanied by Blazec's thunderously booming mocking laughter. Then hoof beats, heavy hoof beats, and more shouting, this time clearly Andrei -- coming this way.

Before the hirelings could get ready to receive whatever threat was incoming, a light horse with a lightly armored rider burst through the brush at the side of the camp, knocking over bedrolls, pot stands, and tents -- which unfortunately slowed him down. Andrei, riding his heavy horse, followed and took the moment to heft a weighted javelin into the rider's back, center of mass and the force of the blow knocked the light rider off his horse with one shot.

"I got him!" Andrei shouted, rearing his horse. Somehow in the process, another javelin was drawn into his free hand, the other holding the reins. As the hirelings and henchmen scrambled to be ready, Andrei had already charged back south across the road toward Oleg's Trading Post.

"Nine Hells!" It was Radu this time. "Blazec's down!"

"Ooch, I've got him, lad! Now get up there and kill the archer before he gets another of us!"

"Andrei!"

Then an eerie quiet. The fight at Oleg's Trading Post was over. It only lasted about a minute, but the frenzy of action and violence was shocking.

And right there in the camp, right in the middle next to where breakfast had been made, was the body of the bandit (at least he looks like a bandit might) with a javelin stuck through him.

And then the bandit sat up suddenly, and gasped for air. He gripped the shaft of the javelin in weak hands and gasped again, desperately.

He wasn't dead yet.

"Help," his voice was more like a breathless bullfrog croak than any sound that a healthy man should ever make. Blood burbled out the corners of his mouth in a frothy crimson foam.

But he probably will be soon -- if nobody helps him.

Hatter
2015-06-09, 06:21 PM
Aeli Pond rushed up to the bandit with a beastly hfound tagging along. She looked down at the bandit with her crossbow loaded and aimed at the man. She had a look of uncertainty upon her face... on one end, this was a criminal on the other hand..He was still a person.. He was a bad person who did bad things to good people and he would have killed everyone present if he could have. She hesitated, sweat beading on her forehead then she lowered her crossbow, cursing her kindness before shouting out as loud as she could "There's one still alive over here!"

aturtledoesbite
2015-06-09, 06:47 PM
Kael had taken to hiding somewhere during the fight. He'd hoped the adventurers would be doing things away from the camp, but what can you do? On Aeli's yell, he walked up to where she and the injured bandit were.

"So he is, but not for long with an injury like that." Kael kneels down to see how urgent this injury is.

Heal check to figure out about how long he's got left: [roll0]

Note: If Profession (Healer) would be apt here as well, add 3 to that roll.

Dayaz
2015-06-09, 08:04 PM
Donovan was still checking to make sure none of his equipment had been damaged, seeing as his tent was one of the ones the bandit had ridden over. Hearing Kael saying the bandit didn't have long to live, Donovan just chuckled under his breathe.

"Good. Scum like that don't deserve the lives they've been given." He said coldly. It would only make him happier if the man died soon, since Donovan hated nothing as much as bandits.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-09, 08:10 PM
His lifespan is more on the scale of seconds (rounds) than minutes, unless you intervene. You'll need to have someone strong (one person with strength at least 14; or two people with 12 -- one to hold the javelin and the other to hold the bandit) pull out the javelin before you can heal him though, its in there good, and someone needs to give it a good swift clean yank out or it'll kill him.

Once the Javelin is out, a Cure Light Wounds spell or a Heal check DC 20 will stabilize him.

Cyber
2015-06-09, 08:17 PM
It was perfectly fine (Except maybe was too cold - for Fryderyk taste) morning until all this annoying сlamor started. Soon old merchant grabbed sword cane and crawled out from his large tent only to recollect Oleg's word and see something what turned his wearily grin in scowl of hatred.

"Bandits. It always bandits.", old nobleman fiercely mumbled to himself when he noticed that woman who stand not afar... Ami? Aerie? Aedi... Yes, Aedi Pond and shout 'warning' to her: "Check wagons, guardswoman! I pretty sure that was their main target!".

Than Fryderyk looked around and noticed another person from their expedition - that person was Kael... and heavily wounded or even dead man who lied near priest feet.

Merchant hurried to this two.

aturtledoesbite
2015-06-09, 08:21 PM
"Perhaps not, but that only gives us all the more reason to make sure he gets a chance to earn that life."

Kael starts trying to slow the wound, buying time to find someone who can help. "If anyone's willing to help, I need someone strong to hold him down and pull out the javelin."

Hatter
2015-06-09, 08:22 PM
Aeli glanced over her shoulder at the merchant whdom quickly approached the scene then took another look at the dying bandit. "Can you do anything?"

She dropped her crossbow to the ground before grabbing hold of the spear and yanking on it with all her might, though her efforts were in vain.

"Ratko! Ratko!" She shouted for the other guard as she pulled and pulled.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-09, 08:35 PM
Aeli's yanking worsened the bandit's condition.

Thick sticky streams of arterial blood splattered over her hair, face, and torso before Kael could apply pressure. Thankfully (depending on your point of view) Kael stopped her yanking before she killed the Bandit.

Cyber
2015-06-09, 08:47 PM
Wounded man (Pretty badly as Fryderyk realized from Kael's words and rashly actions.) wasn't Radoslaw. Or one of his vagobands-comrades. Or even anyone from their entourage. That was just one of attackers... bandit and Fryderyk disapprovingly shook his head when guard tried to help Kael save life of that thug... meaningless attempt. Wound was obviously fatal and Pond even wasn't strong enough to pull javelin out. Old nobleman took one last look at that disgusting scene and left to check wagons.

Hatter
2015-06-09, 09:02 PM
Aeli grunted as she stopped and picked up her crossbow before shouting for Ratko again. "Ratko! Get your arse over here!"

She looked back at the dying bandit. She knew he was scum but she couldn't bring herself to let a person just die in front of her.

Vhaidara
2015-06-09, 09:06 PM
William Danson, The Crotchety Farmer

William walks over towards the wounded bandit.
"It would probably be kinder to just let him die. Though I suppose Chelsea here could yank that javelin right out of him, if it should come to that."
He scratches the big dog behind the ears.
"You're a good girl, aren't you?"

Zweanslord
2015-06-10, 02:25 AM
Kliment Orlovsky, Architect

Nodding to his cousin Andrei Orlovsky, Kliment went with the group north, waiting out the action of the bold adventurers. When the fight came to them, Kliment was startled to see the galloping horse of the bandit come forward, but by the time his cousin Andrei was galloping afterwards he had gripped his sword and as he unsheathed it the heroic action of Andrei unfolded before him. Impressed by his cousin's keen battle skills, Kliment found himself slow in comparison as by the time he was a ready battle stance, Andrei's valiant horse was galloping back and the bandit lay on the ground with a javelin pierced through him.

"I agree with mister Danson." Kliment said as he walked towards the fallen person, wincing as he saw Aeli trying to get the javelin out. "Nevertheless, if you are sure we can aid the man, mister Kael, then I will help." Having sheathed his blade again, Kliment Orlovsky stepped next to he bandit. "Can Chelsea help hold the man down with miss Pond instead?" Kliment said in a hurried tone as now closer up he saw the worsening state of the bandit. While Kliment possesses strength from his weapons training, he knows he compares poorly to Andrei and could use help. He put himself in a position to try and take the javelin out if he got help holding the man down, or would help hold the man down if Ratko came to help and pull the javelin out.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-10, 04:32 PM
Situation Update

Things got crazy during the Battle at Oleg's Trading Post.

The fighting was focused mostly at the Trading Post itself, by the sound of things. You heard whooshing burny sounds (definitely magic) and lots of shouting. Scary, panicked. Violent, overbearing. Thrilled, anxious.

But things got even crazier when a bandit rode straight into the hidden hireling camp, tripping over tents and pots long enough for Andrei (the cavalier) to catch up to him and skewer him with a javelin through the midsection before riding back across the road to the Trading Post to help the other adventurers.

From the sounds of things, Blazec was wounded or killed during the battle.

No one had a chance to figure out what exactly happened -- the all clear signal wasn't given yet -- and the fact that it turned out the skewered bandit was still alive was a bit of a distraction.

Old Man Kael, a follower of one of those exotic Southern Gods, seemed interested in healing the fallen bandit -- and those hirelings with an overly developed conscience seemed at least as interested in doing SOMETHING -- watching a man die in agonizing pain was hard to handle for anyone with empathy.

That javelin was in good, and Aeli's attempts to pull it out only resulted in more pain, screaming, and lots of blood.

Ratko was shuffling toward Aeli's shouts for help (presumably), even while some foiks were considering trying to use their big hounds to hold the guy down while someone else pulled the javelin out.

But before Ratko could arrive, there was shouting from the Trading Post.

"FIRE FIRE! FIRE ON THE ROOF!" It sounded like Oleg, actually.

There was more shouting from over at Oleg's Trading Post, and then finally, a remarkably well projected shout crossed the road from Radu.

"Father! We need TWO of your men over here NOW! QUICK!"

Vhaidara
2015-06-10, 04:35 PM
William Damson, the Crotchety Farmer

Hearing the call of fire, William turns and starts running towards the calls.
"Come on girl, with me!"

Cyber
2015-06-10, 07:50 PM
Only when Fryderyk reached his wagon he realized what bandits didn't attacked from another side or outflank his son't group but just one of this despicable outlaws tried to escape and accidentally stumbled at expedition camp. Merchant recalled how he shout what he thought was a warning. Stupid decision and unacceptable miss for man of noble birth. Still that guardswoman ignored him and didn't even tried to tell old Nobleman what exactly happened. Unacceptable as well. But that can wait for now.

Fryderyk only had time to grab his heavy crossbow from wagon and bolts from saddlebags of his donkey - Perchy - when real troubles started.
Fire at Oleg's Tradepost.
And worst of all Radoslaw's call - perhaps to help with fire at Oleg's or maybe with adventurers much more grim affairs. Lyttelton rushed back to camp.

... Priest Kael, Pond, Donovan, that young man Kliment... and grumpy farmer already left in direction of tradepost. "The choice quite limited isn't it?", old man mumbled to himself.

"Methinks our friends from tradepost need assistance, my fellows", started merchant, "And they will appreciate your help much more than that dying man, milord Orlovsky... and your, guardswoman Pond: I don't think you can assist our healer here unfortunately. So I want to ask both of you to join our patrons. Let's pray what they need your help not with bandits... but if they are I think I can offer a little help from my side and lend you my crossbow, milord."

Than old nobleman turned to Donovan and asked him, "If my memory still faithful to me you is hunter, right.... mmmm... Donovan? I want to ask favor from you as well - when all this trouble end - can you try to find and retrieve horse of our uninvited guest?"

[roll0]

Hatter
2015-06-10, 08:34 PM
Hearing the call for help, Aeli immediately took off towards the fire as she shoved her small crossbow into it's holster at her hip without a single word. There was no need to say anything else. There was nothing she or anyone could do to save the bandit and quite frankly it was probably for the better.

She gritted her teeth as she arrived on scene, taking in the sights around her.

Zweanslord
2015-06-11, 02:30 PM

Seeing William move with his dog Chelsea, Aeli taking off and Ratko taking some time, the words of Fryderyk sound only fair. "You are right, milord Lyttelton. Mister Kael, make sure his end is swift if we are not able to save his life." Letting out a soft sigh, Kliment Orlovsky steps away from the bandit, shakes his head for a moment and then moves to follow mister Damson and miss Pond. He gives a last polite nod politely to milord Lyttelton and then starts to wonder how severe the fire is. Perhaps later there was time to think about its cause. With a member of the team down, Kliment hoped it was because they needed help to contain the fire, not because they were losing the fight.

Dayaz
2015-06-11, 06:21 PM
Finally giving up fixing his gear for the moment with a disgusted curse, Donovan turns his head to look at the merchant -Fryderyck, if he remembered correctly- Donovan tried to remember which direction the horse had run off in. After a moment, He nodded to Fryderyck and gathered his crossbow and a few bolts.

"Aye, I'll head after the horse. Hopefully it hasn't run too far, or even worse, made it's way back to the bandit camp."

[roll0] Survival check to try and track the horse.

Cyber
2015-06-11, 11:29 PM
Fryderyk heavily leaned at cane and sighed softly. All this physical exercises... - not prolong in fact - made him feel himself tired... Another sad reminder what he not young anymore. And traitorous hands started to tremble. Good what cloak masks that.

Old nobleman nod to acknowledge what he heard Donovan's response and fixed his gaze at Kael. Good man that priest. And surely will be distressed when all his hard work to safe another life will be shrugged off by bandit's imminent death. Merchant started to juggle words in his mind trying to find ones which will ease pain from fail... And diverted his attention back to tradepost. Will be his fellow travelers able to save it? Or it awaits same fate as poor soul here?

EclecticGuru
2015-06-12, 11:45 AM
Ratko reached the impaled bandit and old man Kael. He looked down at the javelin, and then at Kael. He brushed his fingers through his hair. THere was a lot of blood, and the bandit was definitely one of the bad guys.

Ratko looked into Kael's eyes. "Are you sure you want to try to save him?" He crouched down, and rested one hand on the bandit's chest, next to where the Javelin was stuck, and the other hand on the haft of the javelin. He was ready to pull it out, on Kael's word.

AT OLEG'S TRADING POST

The roof over the main building within the palisade wall was on fire. It was construction of dry thatch, and particular vulnerable. There was a small well with a wood bucket as the only source of water.

Andrei and Dragan were mostly focused on dealing with one of the bandits who they had taken alive, and with Blazec who was down and bleeding from multiple arrow wounds.

Radu was working with Oleg in trying to get water up to the roof to put out the fire. He shouted at William, Aeli, and Kliment. "One of you look around for something we can use like a bucket ..."

"There are pots in the kitchen, I'll get them!" Oleg was panicked, not thinking clearly, prone to mistakes ....

"Nevermind then. Oleg'll get them. The rest of you, form a bucket brigade line. Fill then pass to the next person in line. I'll climb up to the roof and lower a line. HURRY!" Radu was already scurrying up to the roof, climbing with impressive athletic prowess.

Hatter
2015-06-12, 11:55 AM
"Let's go people! Let's get this going, we have to stop this fire!" Aeli shouted as she rushed up to the well and started heaving water up.

"What are you waiting for!? Get in line!" She passed the bucket off to whoever decided to start forming the line next to her.

aturtledoesbite
2015-06-12, 04:38 PM
"If we do not, he will not have a chance to be absolved for his crimes. Now, keep him steady, and pull!"

After he gives the command, Kael begins chanting a spell, mending the man's flesh.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

Magatsu Izanagi
2015-06-12, 11:56 PM
Ivan Dobac

Ivan Dobac had always been a very heavy sleeper, one of many traits that made him unsuited for the actual adventuring life. He had been able to sleep right through the bandit skirmish, though given how quickly it had been resolved, he probably would not have been able to contribute much had he been roused by it. What did rouse him from his slumber, however, was the call for help with the fire at Oleg's Trading Post. Sure, Ivan may have been a feckless layabout most of the time, but even he wasn't about to let a frontier outpost burn to the ground.

Without a word, Ivan sprung into action with unusual alacrity (at least by his standards). He saw Aeli and William running off towards the trading post, no doubt to deal with the fire on their own, and so he followed. He arrived on the scene just in time to take his place in the bucket brigade, taking buckets from Aeli and passing them along to the next people in line. A fire may not have been the most auspicious way to start out life on the frontier, but at least he was finally doing something to help.

Zweanslord
2015-06-13, 11:53 AM

Moving quickly to the outpost, Kliment sheathed his sword and winced as he saw the fire having developed. He nodded towards Andrei as he passed by, spotting the bandit who was lucky enough to be alive. Kliment then looked at Oleg as he moved in the building. "Thank you, Mister Oleg! He shouted shortly, hoping to do his part as he then made his way to the end of the brigade line and took the bucket to tie it to whatever line Radu would pass down. As noble of House Orlovsky, this was not what he had exactly imagined from today, but he was doing his part to help the populace, which was good. Now to stop a house from burning down!

EclecticGuru
2015-06-13, 12:09 PM
Situation Update and Brief Scene-Forward

Ratko gave the javelin a swift sharp yank with one hand, his other hand securing the man down in place. The javelin arced in the air, trailed by little droplets of gore, as it was tossed aside haphazardly. The bandit started to scream in horror, an inhumanly haunting wail that only subsided when Kael called upon the universal divine power, through the intercession of his merciful southern patroness.

The bandit fell quiet, limp, but alive. The wound was still dire, but it was stable. He would very likely survive -- thanks almost entirely to Kael's mercy and efforts.

The bucket brigade did fast work, and after a few minutes, the fire is out -- and the hirelings were soon forgotten -- little attention was paid to them at all after the crisis.

Blazec was healed, patched up, and seemed to have returned to his normal dangerously arrogant self.

When the hirelings had a chance to compare notes, they realizde that the Adventurers took one of the bandits alive and were holding him in Oleg's, that the Adventurers survived the encounter, though Blazec needed to call upon some of Dragan's healing powers to recover. And that the adventurers were currently too busy interrogating their prisoner to worry about the situation at the hireling camp or the other prisoner being held by the hirelings there.

Hatter
2015-06-13, 01:14 PM
Ms. Pond returned to the Hireling Camp, she was exhausted from all the pressure put on her and she simply walked over to her pack and bedroll which lie next to a tree.

She sat down and leaned against the trunk, staring up at the leaves above with a heavy sigh. "How exciting...." she muttered to herself, sarcasm dripping from her lips and she immediately turned her attention to her crossbow, although it did not see any action, it was prudent that she made sure it was properly cared for.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-14, 08:06 PM
Donovan returned to the hireling camp with the bandit's horse.

The bandit was still incapacitated, occasionally lifting his head just enough to look around at the people in the hireling camp, as if planning who to kill first, perhaps.

Everything was stable for the time being, but who knows for how long. Whatever the adventurers find out from their prisoner, you can only imagine what they'll do about it -- they're a wild, impulsive bunch.

And then there was "your" bandit. What on earth were the hirelings going to do about him?

Zweanslord
2015-06-16, 01:19 AM

"Phew.." Kliment wiped the sweat of his forehead as he walked back to the camp. Putting out a fire was no light work, even though the adventurers seemed to have little problems with their work. Kliment's respect for his cousin Andrei only grew. " Good work, everyone." He complimented the others with their efforts to put out the fire as they walked back.

Upon arriving with those who stayed behind, Kliment's attention moved towards Kael. "Mister Kael, how is your patient doing? I would also like to inform you that there has been another captive bandit at the outpost, though his condition is better." For now, at least. Stepping towards the man, Kliment meanwhile nodded in appreciation to Ratko, who had done a good job.

Hatter
2015-06-16, 01:27 AM
At the mention of a "patient", Aeli also directed her attention to Kael. She finished up her work with he crossbow, holstered it and walked over to take a look.

"Will he be recovering soon?" Asked the guardswoman as she reached for the manacles that hung from her belt. "Might want to secure him for the sake of safety and security."

aturtledoesbite
2015-06-16, 02:28 AM
"I can't say for certain when he will recover. Restrain him if you like, but try not to move him around too much. The magic I possess can only do so much, and it is only barely keeping him from bleeding more."

Without specialized healer's equipment, there was only so much Kael could do to treat the man. For now, all he could do was make sure the wound didn't get worse, using the powers granted to him by his goddess to keep him stable and keep the wound clean of infection.

Using Stabilize to keep him alive, as needed, and Create Water to wash the wounds. Lemme know if I need to make any rolls.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-16, 10:50 AM
Ratko quietly accepted the acknowledgment. He was a bit in shock at the blood and the anguish. He was trained to hurt people, not to heal them. And having seen what the effects of damage was on someone, even a bad person, it obviously took a lot out of the warrior's will.

The bandit was stable and had good chances for recovery, thanks to Kael's ministrations and expertise, and his ability to weave the universal divine power of the celestial realms through his foreign goddess' grace.

Hatter
2015-06-17, 01:00 AM
Aeli Pond removed the manacles from her belt and firmly attached them to the recovering bandit, one upon each wrist.

She then began the process of patting him down in an effort to locate any hidden weapons, tools or other personal property. "Nice work, Mr. Kael. I would ask you to be careful though, never know what a man is capable of until he finds himself in a corner."

EclecticGuru
2015-06-17, 07:54 AM
Aeli had successfully chained the bandit, though it didn't seem like he was quite up to the task of causing much trouble -- it certainly was possible that the man was a good actor. The criminal mind always astounds, after all.

There were no other sounds of trouble from Oleg's Trading Post. It seemed like the adventurers had things well in hand finally. If they were interrogating their prisoner, as it seemed was their intention, they were doing so relatively quietly, which was perhaps a moral relief to some of the hirelings, and a disappointment to others.

Zweanslord
2015-06-18, 01:17 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

"Good thinking, Miss Pond, and good work, Mister Kael." With a smile, the Orlovsky noble was happy to see the group was handling things well. Adjusting his belt for a moment, Kliment looked in the distance for a moment.

When his gaze returned, he looked at the others and spoke: "With the bandits defeated and the fire put out, I believe the worst is over. So now rests the question of our next action. Since we already know there is not enough space in the outpost for our group to stay, shall we keep our camp here, or move next to the outpost? If we move next to the outpost, we will be better defended, but if we stay here, we will be more out of sight in the case of any future danger targetted at the outpost. We could also look to find another spot in the vicinity. What do you all say?"

EclecticGuru
2015-06-18, 10:16 AM
The collected NPC hirelings, of which there were less than a handful, indicated they were content to go along with whatever the others decided. That included Ratko, who, it would seem, was struggling with his own doubts about whether this was the right life for him.

Hatter
2015-06-20, 01:31 PM
Aeli nodded in acknowledgement of Kliment's compliment. "If I might be so bold, sir. I was hired on to be a guard, not a strategist but if you want my opinion... The adventurers are sure to be the focus of trouble but they are also powerful. The outpost also is easier to fortify and set up defenses, provided the funds are available to do so. If we stay out here, we run the possibility of being unprotected save for the two hired guards, myself and Ratko when the next wave of savages decides to come through. Could be Orcs or even Gnolls next for all we know."

Cyber
2015-06-22, 06:56 AM
Fryderyk Lyttelton.

"That quite good plan, Ms. Pond. But it have one... even two small flaws: Trade post not big enough to accommodate us in case of danger... and I have doubts what Oleg will be happy about us or will allow to fortif... but nevermind that...", old merchant slowly responded, "Coin and good word can always help in such troubles. And lord Orlovsky's words convincing in my opinion as well. But currently I more concerned about our uninvited guest. And I have a little wish... a wish to exchange few words with that fellow... Perhaps all this preparations will be unnecessary... But first I have a favour to ask. Can you bring a blanket or maybe... two blankets from my wagon, Ms. Pond? You can find them at left side... or right? Ah, right - left side of wagon near chest."

Hatter
2015-06-22, 12:18 PM
Aeli listened to Fryderyk's opinion and nodded before heading off to the wagon and retrieving those supplies asked for. Upon return, she handed them to Fryderyk and said "Like I said. I'm just a guard. That was just my opinion. I'll leave the actual thinking and planning to you fancy types."

Aeli eyes her wealthier companions' clothes with a smile.

Zweanslord
2015-06-24, 01:12 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

"Thank you for your opinion, miss Pond, as well as yours, mister Lyttelton. In light of safety and uncertainty of what we might expect here, I feel inclined to go with what you say, miss Pond. If danger were to befall the outpost, especially when the adventurer's are away, we could at least seek protection within the walls temporarily. I do agree with you, mister Lyttelton, Oleg may not be pleased with it, but we can talk to him, as you say. And you are free to talk to our uninvited guest, mister Lyttelton, though I wonder if mister Kael's attentions were enough to allow any answers out of him at this point."

Seeming to mull with his thoughts for a bit as he remains silent for a moment, Kliment eventually reaches a conclusion. "Let's rest the night here and in the mean time talk with Oleg to discuss this subject and see what the adventurer's are up to. Anybody care to join me in that regard?"

Hatter
2015-06-24, 01:21 AM
Aeli scratched her chin for a moment before finally speaking up "I suppose I could come with you, Mr. Orlovsky."

"Ratko, could you stay and watch over the prisoner? Also, please dont let him run off with those manacles, they were a birthday present." Aeli asked her fellow guard with a smile on her face before snapping her fingers at her large hound and ordering it to follow.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-24, 02:35 PM
Ratko nodded his head and grunted. "I'll make sure nobody else gets hurt." He muttered his response, which seemed close enough to an agreement to qualify.

The injured bandit was in poor shape, but he could probably be questioned safely enough, if time was taken, and care not to aggravate him enough to worsen his wounds. Really, not the best sort of situation for interrogating an unwilling subject. But it was a better situation than if he had died, I suppose.

Certainly, a team could be gathered up to speak to Oleg, his wife Svetlana, the Adventurers, or some combination of them. It certainly would be better than standing around contemplating your navels, don't you think?

Sunshinebear
2015-06-25, 12:30 AM
Jack hopped off the back of his wagon and made his way over to the group.

"If you lot are speaking to Oleg can you do it quick? It'll take us a while to get everything ready to move again, so I'd prefer if we could get started as soon as possible." He pulled his hair back behind his head into a bunch. "At any rate I don't think our friend here is ready to move, unless someone can fashion a stretcher together to carry 'im. I suppose I'll hang around til ya get back, do ya reckon I could start collecting wood while we sit around or are these woods his?"

Zweanslord
2015-06-25, 12:37 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

The noble man said as he surveyed the group for a moment, looking at Jack. "These woodlands are not his as far as I know, but they are a distance away, so if you do go collecting wood, be careful. It is a good idea, however, I applaud your enthusiasm." Kliment gave a short nod to Miss Pond. "Alright, we will be back soon then."

And with that said, Kliment walked over to the settlement, trying to look for the position of the road in regards to the outpost as they got closer. Perking his ears, he wondered if he would hear anything from the outpost upon approach, be it from the group or from Oleg. In any case, when entering the outpost, he would answer the adventurer's if they would approach him, otherwise he would leave them to their business for the moment and try and find Oleg to talk to and see what he was up to for the moment.

Hatter
2015-06-25, 01:05 PM
Aeli followed Kliment without missing a beat, her hound closely behind. "So what exactly are we going to say?"

Zweanslord
2015-06-25, 01:54 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

"We'll ask Oleg whether he is alright with is staying nearby his outpost or whether he prefers staying the distance. It is the polite thing to do at least. I would also like to inform the adventurers as to their next plan. Perhaps they have learned more from this bandit and have already formulated a new destination dealing with bandit activity or clues to find more." Kliment explained as they approached the outpost. Looking over the palisade, the defence it offered looked alluring, considering the recent bandit attack. "Let's hope they are able to drive back the bandits, but they might wait some time as well, considering the injuries suffered. I hope he's alright."

Hatter
2015-06-25, 06:30 PM
Aeli nodded as she scratched under Bruce's floppy ear. "Right, eitherway we would be safer here. Oleg should be with the adventurers, no doubt interrogating the bandit that they captured."

"Perhaps we should inform them about the one we caught as well? They might have better resources and means to interrogate than we do. That and having two sources of information is better than one." She stepped off with Bruce in tow. Hopefully they would find Oleg and the Adventurers agreeable.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-27, 12:29 PM
Oleg's Trading Post

The gate to the palisade courtyard is wide open, and through it, a good view of the fire damage on the main building's roof is seen. It's mostly thatch and other light material -- easily burned, but easily replaced. Still, the Brevoyan frontier trader had a concerned look on his face as he gazed up and examined the state.

The smell of some delicious home cooked food wafted from the kitchen chimney -- Svetlana, Oleg's younger wife, was busy at work cooking some sort of blood-sauce based Brevoyan delicacy.

Blazec was in the courtyard showing off his new scars. They seemed somehow to compliment, rather than ruin, the patterns of draconic-based tattooes that covered his back and ran up his arms.

Andrei was brushing his giant warhorse, and he smiled slightly at the hirelings as they approached. He was a friendly enough guy.

Radu was applying oil to his rapier. High carbon steel was a pain to take care of, especially after you wetted it in the foul blood of murderous bandits.

Dragan, the dwarf, was rooting through a pile of gear and small stacks of silver and copper which he had assembled on top of one of Oleg's crates. He had a piece of parchment and a pen and ink readied, and was making notes -- presumably evaluating the loot that they had "acquired" from the fallen bandits.

Dragan looked to the hirelings as they approached.

"Ooch. There's another bandit in yer camp, init there? Did ye bring his loot to us?"

Back at the Camp

The Bandit groaned a bit, as he shifted his position, aggravating his wound slightly. He murmured quietly. "I'll give you 3 pieces o gold if you let me go."

Vhaidara
2015-06-27, 12:33 PM
William Danson, the Crotchety Farmer

William had chosen to remain in camp to watch the bandit.
Not likely. You'll just stick a knife in our guts.

Hatter
2015-06-27, 12:47 PM
"Can't say he had much on him but his clothes, sir. Right now, I have him shackles while we wait for him to recover." She smiled at the Dwarf. "Figured you adventurers might want to interrogate him but that's not really our purpose for being here. It's not safe out there." She said as she pointed towards the hireling camp's direction.

"We were hoping that you could speak with Oleg for us. We want to set up here. We will build fortifications and prepare defenses. If anything, it will give you adventurers an early warning." She continued without pause. She was determined to set up here.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-27, 01:12 PM
Oleg's Trading Post

Oleg seemed to light up a bit as the hirelings suggested setting up their camp here. He turned his attention to the adventurers and their henchmen.

"You're more than welcome to set up here. Safety in numbers." Oleg said, his accent gave him away as a Restov man for sure.

"No, we're going to set up a forward base further south into the Greenbelt. That's why we bought these folks with us." Blazec was adamant on this.

"Besides, th' Swordlords are sendin' you some men of yer own. We dinnae want to eat ye out of house and home, lad." Dragan spoke, distractedly, as he continued to work on dividing the loot. He paused a moment to direct at Ms. Pond. "He was wearin' armor, was he nae, lass? Leather like these?"

"We got the location of the Bandit's base in the area. And a rough idea of where their fortress is deep in the Greenbelt. They're a little more organized than we thought. They're all united under the banner of a Bandit Lord going by the name of the Stag." Andrei patted the flank of his horse.

"The Stag Lord, is what they call him. The way he described him, he sounds like some sort of demigod. Even with the whooping we gave these bandits, they seemed to think we'd be outmatched, four to one, against their mighty invincible Stag Lord." Radu ran an oil-slick cloth up and down the length of his rapier.

"Come on, people! You don't need to frighten the help. It's propaganda obviously." Blazec directed his comments directly to the hirelings. "Don't worry about the Bandits. We've got this in the bag. You just worry about setting up that sweet camp, right?"

Back at the Camp

"You heard the lady though. These manacles ..." The bandit coughed a bit, blood on the corners of his lips. "they're heirlooms. I don't want to bleed all over them."

Cyber
2015-06-27, 03:05 PM
Fryderyk Lyttelton.

"Don't worry - it not so difficult to clean such heirloom from blood", replied Fryderyk who sat nearby at blanket while wrapped in other one - That morning was still cold for his old bones - and opened his eyes to glance at felon, "Still three gold pieces and horse? And they say what bandits are poor this day. Not in your case seems like... But first I wish to hear your name. Perhaps after that we even will do something about your little wet problem and with your desire to part with your earthly possessions."

Zweanslord
2015-06-29, 07:05 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

The surprise Kliment felt he cleverly hid under a thoughtful look as he considered what the adventurer's wanted. He gave a nod to Andrei as he explained the situation and then looked over the others, including Oleg. "Alright, if we are to set up a forward base further in the Greenbelt, am I correct to say that we will be looking for a suitable location first before you tackle this new and intimidating foe or will you strike in the heart of the Greenbelt first? If the former, when do you expect us to leave? Tomorrow?"

Kliment gave a short nod to Miss Pond, assuring that following this idea up would be best. "We're confident you all can handle this Stag and it is good to know you will have support here, Oleg." Looking at him, Kliment gave him a short smile. "Do you know of the terrain going further south, Oleg?" Looking at the group again, he added: "Or do any of you know more, perhaps having learned about it from the bandit?"

Sunshinebear
2015-06-29, 07:33 AM
Jack Corbel sat down next to the old man.

"Who cares what his name is? He's a bandit, shouldn't that be enough for ye?"
He put a calloused hand on Fryderyk's shoulder "Besides, what's a few gold pieces compared to kind of coin we'll be making soon!" A big grin spread across his face.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-29, 02:23 PM
Oleg's Trading Post

"We're going to leave first thing in the morning." Andrei adjusted a strap of his armor. "The northmost bandit camp, the one these villains were operating from, is a full day's ride south from here, assuming we stick to the horse path. Longer if we range off it. We won't be able to take all of you with us, you wouldn't be able to keep up."

"Well, maybe not FIRST thing in the morning. You know how I don't like to rush." Blazec flexed his arm, and one of the dragon tattoos seemed to coil upon it.

"Ooch, lad. Time is of the essence. We cannae let the bandits know we're coming." Dragan packed a rustic looking pipe with some pleasant smelling plant material. "We need to leave at first light, and no later."

"Maybe we should leave now. We could arrive at their camp in the dead of night, under cover of the shadows." Radu relished the idea. "Get the drop on them, right?"

"Too dangerous to travel at night -- we don't know the terrain well enough. Or any of the dangers between here and there." Andrei seemed insistent.

"Besides," Blazec added with a smile, "I need to recover my spells."

Andrei turned his attention back to Kliment. "You all can stay here, and wait for us to come back in ... two or three days, I suppose. Or you can travel behind us, on your own. It's up to you."

Back at Camp

The Bandit groaned and coughed up a bit more blood. "They call me Skin. On account that I'm good with a flaying knife. So don't think of trying any-- " he faded into more coughing, and then a rattling sigh.

Hatter
2015-06-29, 02:41 PM
Aeli nodded and then she asked "What do you want us to do with the bandit prisoner we have? Will you take him off our hands?"

aturtledoesbite
2015-06-29, 10:04 PM
"You should follow your own advice, Skin. You're barely holding together as it is; move too much and I won't be able to help." Kael washes away the newly-coughed blood as he admonishes the bandit.

Zweanslord
2015-06-30, 09:25 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

The Orlovsky noble nodded. "Thank you for the insight. I think it will be best for us to follow you as soon as possible, so we can get to work on the forward base and support the cause. Should we set up base between here and the bandit's camp or should we set up further south?" Kliment inquired, so as to have expectations clear. He leaned from one foot to his other and when Aeli had mentioned the bandit, he had given another swift nod to indicate he desired to know what they wished to do with the man.

When the group had argued about when to leave, Kliment had looked amused for a moment as Blazec mentioned not leaving at the first thing in the morning, while Radu had even suggested leaving as soon as possible. The contrast was noteworthy and as present as it was here, as present it could be in the group Kliment was part of.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-30, 06:46 PM
Oleg's Trading Post

"Oh yeah. Your prisoner." Blazec stopped flexing and focused on Aeli. "Only one thing to be done. Show her our charter, Dragan."

Andrei frowned a bit, but seemed resigned enough. The charter was what the charter was.

Dragan provided Aeli with a look at the charter, and he made sure Kliment could see it too.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/Harthar/Kingmaker/screenshot20120602at400_zps609038ae.png

Radu finished oiling his rapier down, and displayed it with a flourish, before sheathing the blade. "Execution by sword."

"Or rope." Blazec added. "Your choice, Kliment. See to it that its done."

Dragan took a moment to murmur a Dwarven prayer for Abadar to give Kliment the strength and wisdom to give Law to the Lawless.

This spell imbues Kliment with a touch of divine guidance.

Kliment gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. He must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.

Duration: 1 Minute or until discharged.

Andrei spoke, as if to banish the talk of executing prisoners from polite company. "Temporary camps only, until we decide on a spot for our permanent forward base. The bandits picked their northern camp site for a reason, maybe it'll be a good spot for us, too."

Back at the Hireling Camp

Skin, the bandit, quieted down, and calmed under the nurturing ministrations of Old Man Kael, and his healing arts. May the Goddess have mercy on their souls.

Hatter
2015-06-30, 11:37 PM
Aeli frowned as she read the charter. She didn't like it but she knew it had to be done. Worst was the fact that she really didn't have a choice in the matter and these adventurers didn't seem to mind it at all.

"I suppose we should get back then. We've a hanging to attend to and we still need to pack up camp." the guardswoman said. She was tense at the very thought. She never had to hang anyone before. She mad arrests but never executions.

Zweanslord
2015-07-01, 08:04 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

As Dragar's spell took effect, Kliment's eyes widened for a moment. His thoughts went to the main tenemt of the Abadar faith: Expand Civilization and Order. He nodded to Dragar, thankful for the spell.

Taking a deep breath, Kliment gathered his wits. "I will see to it that the law is upheld. The charter states unrepetant banditry should face such punishment. The bandit will get a chance to repent himself by aiding our cause. It will be up to him how to face justice." Kliment let his hand slide over to the hilt of his sword for a moment, with a wince on his face as he cast his eyes downwards.

"You're right, Miss Pond, let us return. Until we meet again. Good luck and may Abadar show the rigtheous path forward to us all." And with that said, Kliment starting making his way back to the camp.

With a steady pace, the Orlovsky noble walked back to the camp with the others, looking at Miss Pond a few times, to see how she was handling the news. Speaking little, as beyond the glance sideways, he was looking thoughtful, Kliment put that aside when they arrived.

"Alright, to sum it up swiftly, Andrei and the others have learned of the bandit's outpost and will head there come tomorrow. We are to keep temporary camps until they find a permanent spot for us. Oleg will in the future get support from other sources as we set up a forward base. We can follow the group, which I suggest we do instead of waiting, though they will be faster."

Then, Kliment's gaze rested shortly on Miss Pond after it went over to the bandit, and then to Mister Kael. Kliment's expression was stiff and his eyes did not exactly meet Kael's gaze. "We were also reminded of our purpose here, to punish banditry. I have agreed to mete out justice as needed, so I ask, is he well enough to speak?"

Hatter
2015-07-01, 03:43 PM
Aeli moves to grab a length of rope from a wagon and walks towards the bandit as she ties a noose into the rope. "Let's just get it over with. The faster we do this, the less pain it will cause him. The less screaming we have to hear and the less nightmares anyone will have to endure."

aturtledoesbite
2015-07-01, 08:25 PM
Kael nods in understanding, but holds a hand out motioning Aeli to stop. "Yes, he has been speaking recently."

He then turns toward Skin, looking right into his eyes. "As you heard, we are to punish banditry. So, tell us: Are you a bandit?" The question's answer should have already been evident, of course, but it was clear that the true question was in the subtext: if he wants to turn a new leaf, he's got right now to do it.

Hatter
2015-07-01, 08:32 PM
Aeli stopped when motioned to do so. Dare she hope that she wouldn't have this life on her hands? Dare she? A look came across her face, a look of a desperate plea for hope. She grinded her teeth in anticipation.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-01, 09:21 PM
The Camp

Skin saw what was happening. His wounds were severe, and his consciousness was fleeting, but the sight of the noose was enough to give him that shot of adrenaline that brought everything into crystal focus. He started to draw in a breath to speak, but it was ragged, and rattled thanks to a collapsed lung. He coughed again, and took the time as he wheezed to regain his breath to think about what he was going to say.

He finally answered Kael's question. "Not anymore." It seemed pretty likely he was just saying what he thought you wanted to hear, but it was impossible to say for sure.

If you want, you can roll Sense Motive DC 11 to determine whether you think he's telling the truth or not. But do keep in mind that even if he has convinced himself he's telling the truth doesn't mean he'll necessarily keep his "promise" once the opportunity to return to the Outlaw life arises.

You may choose not to roll if you wish, and decide for yourself whether you think he's telling the truth, and that's fine too.

begooler
2015-07-02, 01:08 AM
Aurel

Aurel strides in from wherever he was during the action, alongside his dog, Myrna, a mutt appearing to be mostly an Alsatian sheepdog. His face and clothes are dry and free of mud, blood or soot: clearly, he managed to miss most of the skirmish. Despite this, he weilds a shortspear at the ready in one hand, giving it an occasional twirl.

The boy observes the scene, watching the hirelings' hesitancy.

"Well then, what are we going to do?"

(Nearby, the goats, horse, and hawk take care of themselves for the moment, grazing or hunting.)

aturtledoesbite
2015-07-02, 03:45 AM
Kael nodded. Any sane person would've given that answer, and he knew it. Which is why he wasn't done yet.

He steps away for just a moment to grab a book from what few belongings he had and places it in Skin's hand, while moving his other hand to rest on top of it. Reading the spine gives the book's title as The Birth of Light and Truth. His next demand was simple, but stern. "Swear as such."

Zweanslord
2015-07-02, 06:39 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

The straight face Kliment had been upholding weakened and softened as he saw Kael ask the question to the wounded person. The devout of Saranrae was doing what Kliment had hoped and as he took out the book to swear, the Orlovsky noble took a step closer to Kael, to be able to hear Skin's answer. The expression on his face had become stoic again, though there was a twitch at Kliment's mouth and eye as he waited for the answer, tension rising.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-02, 10:00 AM
Skin looked at the book -- northern folk didn't get exposed to the books of southern gods or goddess much, and Skin was no exception. Of course he knew the names of most of the major deities, but whether the importance of them affected him personally, it could not be said.

"Yes." Conversions at the end of a sword, or the end of a noose in this case, rarely stuck. But sometimes ... sometimes they did, and the very book he was swearing upon testified to countless such conversions that proved that evil was not irredeemable. "I swear."

Hatter
2015-07-02, 02:37 PM
Noose still in hand, Aeli looks towards Kliment for direction, it would seem that she has unofficially placed him as the leader of the hirelings, well, at least her leader. She was a grunt, she followed orders...so why not follow the orders of a nobleman? Seems like the most logical way to go.

"Well? What do you think, sir?" She asked Kliment, her eyes darting to Aurel. A kid? Why is there a kid in the expedition? She hadn't really noticed him before...so young...a pity that he gets to see the world at it's worst.

Zweanslord
2015-07-03, 11:04 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

Kliment gave a nod to Aeli before speaking up. "Then, to show you are truly looking to redeem yourself, you will join our group and help us set up a camp, so that the adventurer's you met may bring order to this region. May Abadar and Saranrea bear witness that you are given a new chance, a chance to show you are willing to redeem yourself from a life of banditry, and work in cooperation with others in accordance to the law. It is my hope that you will show yourself worthy of such a chance, but know that should you betray our trust, it will be obvious that you have denied redemption and you will be brought to justice." Looking at Skin with a hopeful, but at the same time wary expression, Kliment then turned his gaze to Kael. "Please continue to take care of him, Mister Kael."

"Alright everybody, we'll set up camp for the night here, to allow one of us.." Kliment looked at Skin for a moment, with a plain expression on his face before continuing. "..to recover. Come tomorrow, we'll break up again and head south, in the wake of the adventurer's. They will head out before us to face danger there and look for a place for us to settle. For now, we rest, but be ready for travel in the morning."

Hatter
2015-07-03, 11:18 AM
Aeli removes the manacles from Skin's wrists with two soft clicks before simply walking away with her manacles tucked into her belt, now accompanied by a rope which ended in a noose.

The guardswoman stopped and simply watched as everything happened around her, feet spread shoulder-width apart and her stance strong. She wasnt just some nobleman's bastard daughter...She was a Pond and she would make her mother proud.

At her side Bruce let out a loud bark as if in agreement with her thoughts and Aeli pressed a hand down on his head. So be it then...bring that horizon and I will march on through it...

begooler
2015-07-03, 10:28 PM
Aurel

Aurel appears pleased with the outcome of the situation. "Now we have one less bandit, and one more set of hands to help."

Aurel watches Kael and Skin for a moment then turns to Kliment. "Sir, I would be glad to help the priest show him around and get him settled. With your permission of course."
He approaches and casually extends a hand for a handshake with Skin. "My name is Aurel."

Zweanslord
2015-07-05, 04:17 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

"But ofcourse, no need to ask for permission." Kliment told Aurel, after which he looked at former bandit, now untied and with Aurel introducing himself to him. Taking a step away, he watched to see how the man would react to the current turn of events.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-05, 05:26 PM
Skin seemed relieved that he wasn't going to be executed. Relieved and maybe a little surprised. By the look on his face, you can be almost 100% sure he wouldn't have given any of you the same options. In fact, as suspicion and doubt flowed into his expression, you wondered if he wasn't trying to figure out what exactly your collective angle was in this matter.

"I'll do whatever you want until I'm well enough to leave. But then I won't bother any of you anymore."

Zweanslord
2015-07-06, 02:06 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

"Perhaps you misunderstood. Let me explain it clearly. You have been given a second chance, a chance to be part of a new community, the group you see before you, a chance to leave your life of banditry behind. We will expect you to help us, be a part of our group and prove that you seek to redeem yourself from your past." Kliment's expression had turned strict.

"We, as a group, are here to bring order and civilization to the Greenbelt. We will set up an outpost and help the adventurer's bring a stop to disorder. You will have the freedom to build up an honest life with us and the outpost as you see fit, if you wish to become a carpenter, a wildlife hunter or a cook, that is your choice. But we do expect you to contribute as your health improves. Should you in time prove that you will not slip back to the past, but neither wish to be with us in the present, you will be free to go elsewhere. I know that we can not keep you with us forcibly, if you do not desire to be with us or if you wish to return to the life of a bandit. But I believe that you are willing to leave that life behind you and am earnest in my hope that you will stay with us. As Aurel said, we could use another set of hands to help. I trust you to not betray our faith in you. Please show me, show us, you are worth that trust."

With that said, Kliment looked straight in the man's eyes, impressing him with a gaze of authority. The moment soon passed as Kliment looked at Mister Kael and Aurel, giving them a nod, as if to say it's up to them now. He then stepped away and sat down in the midst of camp, intent on taking a rest for now.

Hatter
2015-07-07, 03:03 PM
Aeli took a seat next to Kliment, she held two cups of coffee in metal cups. One cup she offered to him, the liquid was black and devoid of any sugar or cream, just the way Aeli liked her coffee.

"You know they need a leader, right? Might as well be you. You have what it takes." She said as she looked towards the other hirelings as they either moved about in the camp or gathered around the newly renounced bandit.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-07, 03:52 PM
Skin, the bandit, sat there quietly, watching the people in the camp with as much attention as he was able to muster, having lost so much blood. He didn't feel quite up to contemplating the leadership, or lack thereof, of this band of hirelings, henchmen, and lieutenants. No, in his world, the leader rose up and claimed command, and destroyed anyone who stood against him.

That was the way of things.

The bandit way.

begooler
2015-07-08, 12:43 AM
Aurel

Aurel departs with Skin and Kael. As they traverse the camp, he points out various odd jobs that could be taken.

"Could use someone to work as a wheelwright to keep the wagons in shape... or fetch water from the springs and make sure all the skins get filled...or dig posts for tent poles... or what if you inventoried the food storage?"

"Might take them a minute to find somewhere to get you settled. In the meantime, I could use a hand with this tent."

Aurel gathers his animals, tying up the goats for the night, and unloads his equipment from his horse.

Zweanslord
2015-07-08, 10:38 AM
Kliment Orlovsky

Kliment thankfully took the cup from Aeli, giving her a short smile. "Thank you, Miss Pond." Peering in the dark drink, he was silent for some moments after Miss Pond her statement.

"I don't know. Is that what we need?" Turning his gaze to the south, to the horizon, where their journeys would take them, Kliment stared somewhat absent mindedly. "I think we need a place to settle. To build something which will be ours. To build a future." His lips curled upwards a moment before relaxing to normal. "But all in good time."

EclecticGuru
2015-07-08, 02:32 PM
Skin was secured, but his weakened condition made him not much of a threat to anyone. Moving him around the next morning to get him ready to go actually exacerbated his situation -- Kael might benefit from using more healing magic upon the bandit. At any rate, Skin was forced to ride on a cart (was one available) to accompany the hirelings to the next site.

As it was, departure the next day was delayed a bit. Blazec had overslept (he claimed he was having Dragonvisions that could not be interrupted, and went back to sleep). It ended up being a boon, because apparently Blazec had invited/hired quite a few more people before he left Restov (mostly, if not entirely, made up of the new PCs) -- and had left without them. He claimed he wasn't keeping track and apologized briefly before rushing his fellow adventurers forward (they all had horses now, thanks to the bandits) into the wilds.

There was no time to get acquainted, however, and the henchmen, hirelings, and lieutenants made their way at a much slower pace southward -- probably covering half as much ground. Thankfully the trail had been blazed by the much more competent and energetic adventurers, and there were no unforeseen problems.

At sunset, a good spot for a campsite had been found (it was actually marked out by Radu, it turned out -- he was scouting ahead for his group it would seem) and camp was set.

The Next Day

More traveling, southward, along the trail blazed by the adventurers. The forest gets steadily more and more dense, with heavy undergrowth of thorny, tangled bushes -- the sound or a river is heard in the distance. It appears the adventurers found a game trail that made their travel possible through this uncomfortable terrain.

Later in the day, the keenest eyed among the hirelings spotted a bandit up in a hunting blind high up in a tree, pinned in place by a javelin that had been sunk into his midsection -- much like Skin had been. However, this bandit had been allowed to bleed out, if the shock of the impact hadn't killed him immediately.

Further in, it was clear that there had been a battle at this encampment -- which was located on the strategic point of a ford across the aptly named Thorn River. Several game trails passed through the area here, where even the animals found it easier to cross -- and that made a choke point of foot travel, which obviously the bandits were using to ambush people traveling -- either down the river, or on foot across it.

Access to fresh water, lumber, and plentiful game made this a good location for a camp for the bandits, and an equally good location for you. However, the bandits might come back to check on what happened to their lost comrades.

It quickly became apparent that there were 9 bandits slain -- one still stuck in the tree, and 8 others piled up like firewood under a gory tarp -- including one woman.

"Oh, there you are! You made better time than I thought you would!" Blazec seemed pleased at the arrival of the underlings. He was eating a big lunch -- probably provisions that once belonged to the bandits.

"Abadar bless ye. Twas dangerous terrain ye crossed, and its a blessing ye made it so swiftly." Dragan took a puff on his pipe.

Andrei was taking care of his horse, it was a full time job for him -- as a mounted warrior, the health and well being of his mount was .. paramount.

Radu must have been out scouting. At least, you hope he wasn't somewhere in that pile of corpses.

"Figure out something to do with all the dead bodies. Bury them or something. And you'll need to climb up that tree to get that last one out of there. He's in their good. Andrei doesn't know his own strength." Blazec instructed, with a bit of mirth and a matching pleasant tone in his voice.

"If you think you can handle it." Andrei added.

As the new arrivals surveyed the scene, it was clear there were several spots of blood and organs that were only haphazardly cleaned up -- leftovers from the brutal battle.

But as horrible as it must have been -- a violent life and death struggle -- none of the adventurers seemed particularly phased. It was just another day for them, apparently.

You each need to spend two days of rations

begooler
2015-07-08, 11:44 PM
Aurel

As they traveled, Aurel seemed taken aback by the pace. Sometimes walking, sometimes riding on the back of his horse, Steel, he would stop often to stretch or rest his feet and let his goats and Steel graze, then would frantically rush the 'herd' along to catch up with the group each time they started to fall behind. Umber, the hawk, cooped up in a cage tied to a saddle bag was particularly perturbed by the travel and Aurel spent a lot of the trip speaking quietly to her to try to calm her down, and slipping her bits of the food he packed for her.

When they breaked for lunch on the second day, Aurel noticed Aeli poking around her empty bag of rations and offered her one of his.
"If we'd known we'd be in such a rush with no time to hunt, we could have packed up a mule with more food stores! I bet they'll be expecting us to provide meals once we meet up with them too."
He shrugged. "But at least the trip is pretty interesting, I wish we had more down time to appreciate it."

Once they caught up to the adventurers' battle aftermath, Aurel fixated on the skewered bandit staring in awe and turning a bit pale.

Unattended, his dog Myrna, who'd been foraging voles and field mice the past two days started to go to town helping to clean up the carnage. She'd half stuffed herself before Aurel noticed and rushed after her, grabbing her by the scruff of her neck and pulling her away.
"No! Down girl!"

Steckie
2015-07-09, 01:07 AM
Hadwisa

Hadwisa had offered the man Skin a spot in her cart, but only if he took turns riding it. She needed some time to write about the things that had happened before she arrived and on the more level parts of the journey the cart was stable enough to do some writing.
"......and i have never heard of these 'Dragonvisions' before nor have i read anything about them leading me to suspect that Blazec just isn't a man to get up early in the morning. Still, the man has earned the right to sleep in, given the life he has chosen.
We have just spotted a corpse pinned to a tree. I will write more tomorrow, now i need to keep my eyes open in order to make a decent report of this journey."
Hadwisa blows on the ink a few times to let it dry, closes the book and puts everything safely in her backpack.

Once in the encampment she stares around with wide open eyes. Nine dead bandits. Nine. The four of them killed nine of them without as much as an injury, at least no injury she can easily spot. And after Blazec's little speech she's even more impressed. They don't even seem to notice the amazing thing they did, but are just enjoying a little rest.
"I volunteer to climb up in the tree." She says raising her hand. "That tree is a good lookout point for me to make a quick sketch of the camp.
Wait, have i introduced myself or have i been writing the whole time? My name is Hadwisa Von Falkenstein Ostroski, i've been hired as a cartographer and an accountant for this expedition. I'm not the strongest person, so who wants to climb up with me?"

Hatter
2015-07-09, 01:16 AM
Aeli Pond

Aeli was thankful for the food that was shaared with her. "Thank you. When we arrive at our destination, I will go hunting. Perhaps I can return the favor and then some." She offered a smile to the boy, kid was starting to grow on her.

Bandit Camp

Once arriving at the bandit camp and seeing that there was more than enough people to handle clean up and the adventurers were readily available in case of an emergency, Aeli excused herself and headed out to the wilds in hope of finding game to bring back both to cut up as rations for herself and to give some to Aurel.

Hoping for mostly small game she can kill with either rocks or her dagger. If not, I'll go for something big like a hog or deer no problem... I'm assuming that I'll lose some crossbow bolts to do so.

Survival [roll0]

Hattish Thing
2015-07-09, 02:43 AM
Lüdvick Vaznekópf:

A gruff figure rests on a nearby bench, his dark eyes glowering forward, flashing from adventurer to adventurer, lingering here and there. As the wizard speaks, the huge beast of a man will stand, nodding silently, not bothering to say word. His gaze stays upon Blazec for a slight half second too long, before he turns away and walks over to the nearby tree, getting there fairly easily despite his apparent injury. The man did not possess a right leg past the calf muscle, instead, a wooden prosthetic with a boot bolted to it was strapped to the flesh.

His face is weathered and scarred, his large and wild beard of tangled black hair barely kept in decent condition. His was the face of a man's man, a face that'd been through countless blizzards and survived even the harshest of winds, Ulfen blood flowed through this man's veins, surely. The man is dressed in dark brown cloth and wears a thick leather butcher's apron, massive cleavers resting in a bandolier on his front, a backpack full of equipment hanging over his shoulders. He's quite, and quite solemn looking.

He doesn't seem friendly, either.

Finally, Lüdvick will look over at Hadwisa and squint his eyes. He was quite the intimidating figure, towering over most men at six foot six inches, and as he glares at the younger looking woman before him, his thick lips sealed in a perpetual frown, his bushy black eyebrows bent forward, he'll suddenly look over her shoulder. As he does so, his dull brown eyes sort of phase out for a moment, staring forward as if gazing miles and miles ahead, a sort of absent and murky look in them. Still, there's an intelligence in his eyes which she might notice, a solemn sort of glint deep within. There's malevolence in them too, and the dark bags under his eyes suggest that the man doesn't sleep much.

After a second he drops back into reality and grunts at her in his bass voice.

"I vhill."

From that point, he'll move to the tree and grip it with his large hands, before beginning to climb up.

[roll0]

Steckie
2015-07-09, 04:56 AM
Hadwisa

"Marvelous...." Hadwisa says when the most unfriendly looking man around decides to help. "Could i get your name perhaps?"
She follows him to the tree, but where the man immediatlely starts climbing Hadwisa first looks around for a rope or maybe even a ladder. If she can't find either of those she'll wait for a moment until the man has reached the top.
"If you see a rope or ladder up there, throw it down will you."

EclecticGuru
2015-07-09, 11:37 AM
The Bandit's Perch

There was, in fact, a knotted rope suitable for climbing, wound up in a coil in the hunter's blind, along with the dead bandit.

Should Lüdvick attempt to free the bandit from his impaled position, he would succeed without needing to roll.

She is very successful with her foraging and hunting (perhaps Erastil smiles upon her endeavors?). She spends the rest of the daylight hours gathering for herself and the others. She and up to 5 other characters of her choice need not spend rations for today.

Hatter
2015-07-09, 01:06 PM
Aeli returns to camp with 5 rabbits tied together at their feet. She expertly skinned the rabbits and cooked two of them over a fire. She waved for Aurel to join her as she skinned the other three rabbits so that they might be prepared as long-term rations.

begooler
2015-07-10, 12:02 PM
Aurel

Seeing that there are others willing to deal with the dead bandit in the tree, Aurel turned his attention towards getting the livestock settled. He picked a spot downriver along the stream to establish the livestock and tethered Steel and the goats to a tree so they wouldn't wander off while he did other work. He then spent some time walking around the 'settlement' many times over, guiding Myrna and Umber around the area to establish them a territory to hunt for small animals. Once that was done, Umber was sent out to hunt and the goats and horse are offered to help others with hauling supplies or debris (or bodies.)

During his meandering around the site, Aurel continuously offers to relay instructions or deliver small items.

Would like to use handle animal to generate 'goods' capital. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/downtime#TOC-Table:-Skilled-Capital-Earnings)
Handle Animal: [roll0]

Aurel joins Aeli by her fire, eager for a fresh meal.
"Spendid! If you catch that much every time you go out we'll all be well fed. What if I help by making us some more nets?"
He digs in his pocket and pulls out a sample piece of weaving- some twine looped into ornamental knots- and shows her.

Hatter
2015-07-10, 12:09 PM
Aeli takes the knotting in hand and examines it. "I can use this to fish. I'd be more proficient at huntin with my knife or crossbow than with traps but we can use these for fishing, no doubt about it."

Steckie
2015-07-10, 04:09 PM
Hadwisa

Patience has never been one of her virtues and when doesn't answer her questions within a few seconds, Hadwisa decides to just try and climb the tree herself. Surprisingly she is able to climb the tree, the first one in more than 10 years. She reaches the hunter's blind, crawls up and sits down panting for a few seconds. Then she makes sure the knotted rope is tightly secured on one end and throws down the other side.
"Next time a little more help would be appreciated." She says to the big man that climbed the tree before her. "Now let's see what we have here."

Hadwisa searches the body of the dead bandit for anything interesting, after that she'll search the rest of the hunter's blind for anything else. She puts everything she finds in her backpack so she can safely take it down with her.
Once all that has been taken care of she'll try to dislodge the dead man from the tree. "A little help here please, big guy. You look a lot stronger than me." She says to the man that climbed up here with her. She'll check below the tree and throw down the dead body if nobody is walking under them. If possible Hadwisa will pull the javelin out of the tree and drop that down as well.

Finally she takes her time looking around the area. She takes a good look at the camp below and then she tries to get an impression of the area around them. She looks in every direction.

Perception to search the body: [roll0]
Perception to look around the area: [roll1]

All of this is assuming we roll our own perception checks, if not then just ignore these.

Zweanslord
2015-07-10, 04:14 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

The Orlovsky aristocrat nodded to Hadwisa Von Falkenstein Ostroski and smiled as she and Lüdvick Vaznekópf took to the climbing task. Meanwhile, the lad with his livestock, Aurel, seemed to be getting along well with Aeli. Kliment himself addressed the adventurers. "You have certainly.. been thorough." Kliment looked to a bit of a loss how to describe the way the adventurers had managed to handle the bandits. "Am I correct to say that we will use this site as our future camp? With access to fresh water, hunting opportunities, wood and a strategic point, it seems Abadar has not just blessed us with speed, but with a suitable spot to build a camp and expand it." Looking at Dragan as he referred to the Master of the First Vault, Kliment then looked at the other adventurers. "My compliments with your prowess in battle. Seems like we will be safe under your protection." His face was a bit wry as he glanced over at the corpses, as death was still lingering so close. "Any indication there may be more?"

Sunshinebear
2015-07-11, 09:44 AM
Jack climbed down from the reigns of his wagon and moved over to the pile of corpses. Death was not something he was unfamiliar with, the smell of the corpses was not that different to a deer or rabbit, but he supposed they weren't rotting quite yet. He was not particularly disturbed by the sight he saw, scratching his behind he turned around to the group.
"Well, do we bury or burn them? Will anyone have nightmares if I just light em up now?"

EclecticGuru
2015-07-12, 09:31 PM
Hadwisa's search of the body discovered a short sword, a dagger, leather armor, a wineskin with some really nasty homemade wildberry "wine" in it, and a small pouch with 27 silver pieces and 25 copper pieces. The armor was damaged by the imposition of a javelin through the chest piece, but was probably serviceable nonetheless. The rest of the equipment was tainted by congealing bodily fluids in a state of unpleasantness that might be benefited by a good washing.

The camp below looked secure.

Kliment was chatting with the adventurers.

"It's like rats. When you find one, you know there are a hundred more lurking around." Blazec picked some jerky out from his teeth with a thick blade of grass.

"We interrogated one of them." If they had one alive, he was most certainly not still alive. He must have been put in the pile with the rest of them. Was he slaughtered? Beheaded? Hanged? It didn't seem important enough to Andrei to make reference to it. "They apparently have a bigger fortress deep in the wilderness to the south. The Bandit King, the Stag Lord, holds his court there. It's quite a distance, or so they say, but they do keep in contact at least monthly. They just made contact a week ago, so we've probably got a couple of weeks, at least, before they show up again. Longer before they think about showing up in force."

Radu patted Kliment's shoulder as he passed by him, and joined the other adventurers. His approach was unseen, even to Hadwisa who was watching from the hunting blind aerial perch. His hand rested comfortably on the hilt of his rapier. "If you feel up to defending this area, you'll want to put a guard up and down the river to keep an eye on an aquatic approach. Riverboats need to stick to the center of the river to navigate the ford, but canoes or swimmers can come up, silently and unseen right up the edge. These guys didn't seem very interested in boating -- beyond using ropes across the river to snag lumberjacks and hunters up so that they could rob them."

"We've got enough loot from their stash here that we should be close t'being able t'buy a wand for healing." Dragan puffed his chest out. "We'll have t'convince Oleg t'send for one."

"Or else we'll have to travel to Restov ourselves. Healing Blazec after every skirmish is using up all of Dragan's prayers."

"Aye. It is."

"You're welcome to come along with us back to Oleg's Trading Post if you like. Or you could try to set up a permanent camp here. But it'll be up to you to defend it, on the times that we're away."

"Which will probably be most of the time. Killing bandits, finding lost ruins, and generally being amazing, right?" After no one caught the cue, Blazec said it again. "Right guys?"

"Right, right, lad!" Dragan chipped in, after blowing a smoke ring from his pipe.

Steckie
2015-07-13, 12:40 PM
Hadwisa

Hadwisa slides down the rope with the stuff she recovered in her backpack.
First thing she does is pouring the terrible smelling wine away, then she walks over to the rest of the group. She pulls all the stuff she recovered from her backpack and puts it down on the ground near Blazec.
"Here's the stuff from the tree, boss.
You know boss, this is kind of a nice spot. It would be a shame for us to leave it behind only for a fresh group of bandits to show up and start building defenses. There's fresh water here, a spot to safely cross the river and enough lumber to start building our own defenses. If we can keep this spot defended that means they can't strike at Oleg's Trading Post again without first passing us. Maybe there's no other place to easily cross the river. And if there is such a spot and they do strike at Oleg's, then we'll be in a position to strike them from behind.
All in all, i think it's a good idea for us to stay here and provide a safe spot while you go out exploring. You know, being amazing and all."
She stops for a moment and then coughs softly.
"But in order for us to become that safe spot we're going to need weapons, armor and building supplies. Now it so happens that you've recently 'acquired' some weapons and armor. And most likely you will have found enough funds for building supplies as well.
So how about a couple of us come back with you to Oleg's with the carts to load up supplies while the rest of us stay here with the weapons and armor and we start building a pallisade and a place to sleep."

EclecticGuru
2015-07-13, 01:15 PM
"They don't get shares do they?" Blazec looked at Dragan for confirmation.

Dragan set his pipe down on its side atop a tree stump. "Ooch. No lad. But there's no reason ye cannae give them some o'yer share." The dwarven cleric of Abadar smiled just a bit at Blazec's distress.

"I don't know. It sounds like a worthy cause, but the Swordlords said they took care of provisioning you before you left ... and I really need to upgrade my armor. And then there's the wand, which we already agreed to all chip in for." Andrei seemed like he really wanted to contribute, but was torn by other needs.

"Would this be like an investment opportunity? Like, if I were to give you say 50 gold .. would you pay me back 5 a week. For say, a year?" Radu was bouncing his coin purse from hand to hand.

"Ooch, that would be a good investment, lass. Is that the sort o'thing yer offering?"

Blazec looked like he was trying to do the arithmetic in his head, and falling a bit short at it. He resorted to trying to count on his fingers, but when he noticed anyone looking at him, he tried to act cool.

begooler
2015-07-13, 03:20 PM
Aurel
"Five gold a week!" Aurel's eyes light up, excited. "Wow, you think we'll make that much profit off the land to be able to pay that? That'd be splendid..."
He thinks for a second.
"But wait, after a few months at that rate you'd be paid back, and we'd still owe payment for the rest of the year."

He pulls out his own coin purse, a small leather pouch with a velvet trim which looks newly acquired and has not seen much wear.

"What if I invest fifty gold myself in our settlement and collect return payment from the group at ...hmmm... two gold per week for a year. Others could chip in too for the same rate."
He thumbs through the purse trying to remember exactly how much coin he had.
"Maybe fifty is more than we need..."

Zweanslord
2015-07-14, 12:07 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

When Jack put the act of cremation to a simple 'light them up', Kliment looked dismayed. "Mister.. Jack, was it? You raise a good point and while I would personally favour to bring the dead back to the earth that nourishes us, it would take quite some time. And can't say I brought a shovel. On the other hand, to hand their remains over to the flames would take up quite some wood and would draw a lot of attention as the light would be clearly visible. We would also need to be careful to contain the flames, but I am sure we can manage that. Can't say I see the best option of the two at the moment, but I'll be happy to help either way."

As Blazec spoke about the bandits being like rats, Kliment gave a short nod. As they talked it became obvious that the group would take a risk being here, though the benefit of starting to settle now was clear too. Listening to Hadwisa's words, Kliment smirked for a moment as she tries to play the adventurers. The conversation did make it further clear the group would have to manage on their own and while the adventurers would be there to tackle the greatest danger, they would mostly go about doing their thing, with this group being the support.

Eventually the aristocrat chimed in: "I believe at least part of the suggestion is that the weapons and armours the bandits carried could be used for the defense of this site. This would save the hassle of dealing with those goods and would allow us a better chance to guard this site. As for that wand, perhaps one of us would be willing to go to Oleg in your stead and try and convince him to send for one?" As Kliment looked over the group, he recalled seeing a look of doubt on Ratku's face earlier when they were at Oleg's, so his eyes went over to him. Perhaps being a messenger would be up to his liking? Or perhaps somebody else would be willing to do so.

Steckie
2015-07-14, 12:09 PM
Hadwisa

"Well, the problem with a loan like that is that we probably wont be able to pay it back. Most of us, including me, barely have any funds left after purchasing the necessary supplies to go on this expedition. Funding a whole new settlement is just too expensive for us. And unlike you we can't just go exploring dungeons or something like that, we'd get killed.

You should really think about it as an investment in your own safety. We'll build a pallisade and a place to sleep, reserved for your group obviously. And we'll set up a guard rotation so that all of you can get a good night's rest when you're here.
Think about it, every night you spend here is a night you don't have to get up at 3 in the morning to do that last shift of guard duty. We'll help you transport and sell all the loot you find back at Oleg's or even in Restov if you want. And for emergency purchases we could send a courier for you.
Oh, and to top it off we can name the settlement after one of you if you want.
Maybe Radoslaw's Reach?
Or Dragan's Defense?
Or Andrei's Arsenal?"
She pauses for a moment and looks at Blazec with a small smile. "Maybe Dragonvision Ford or Blazec's Bulwark?"

Hadwisa pulls out a piece of paper, her abacus and writing supplies. "If armor upgrades and other purchases worry you, then let me make a quick calculation. I am your accountant after all."
She starts to write down some numbers on her paper, then she starts counting on her abacus. Then there's a lot more writing. It only takes a couple of minutes until she's able to hand a neatly written piece of paper to the adventurers.
"This is a rough estimate of what it will cost to purchase supplies for us to build a settlement here.
If you want i can take full stock of the items you've aquired at the battle of Oleg's Trading Post and the battle here and calculate the profits you've already made. Once i do that i might be able to make a rough projection of the profits you'll make in the future."

Sucking up Diplomacy: [roll0]
Knowledge Engineering: [roll1] and Appraise: [roll2] to make an estimate of the costs.

Hatter
2015-07-14, 12:24 PM
Aeli Pond

Aeli remained largely quiet during the diacussions. It was good that more vocal individuals have decided to join their group.

She nodded in agreement with Hadwisa's words as she carefully sliced up the remainder of the cooked and dried rabbit. It wasn't her job to be diplomatic, nor was it to lead. She was a guard. She was here to protect and to uphold the Law to the best of her ability.

She glanced down and the manacles and the noose that hung from her hip and wondered when the next time would be that she would need to use them.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-14, 07:36 PM
"Five gold a week profit? Easy. I mean, all of you? Look, you could all probably just haul river logs out of the river and drag them to Oleg's and sell them for more than that, if you all work together. And that's just brute labor. You've got all kinds of experts and managers and craftsmen and farmers and then some." Blazec's enthusiasm for the fruits of the labor of the non-adventurers was exciting, even if the subject itself wasn't.

"Ooch, hard work, perseverence, that's the way to prosperity and spiritual happiness. Ye cannae get there with handouts, lass." Dragan was back to puffing on his pipe now.

"Well, they did climb up into that tree for that one bandit for us. And they're going to dispose of the other bodies." Andrei advocated for the non-adventurers, but his passion wasn't in it -- he didn't seem up to countering the Dragan's gold lust or whatever condition Blazec had that gave him such low empathy.

"Bodies? Are they still around? Hey, what's the hold-up! They're starting to smell!" Blazec comically shook his fist toward Jack, but he was smiling charmingly while he did it. The truth was, the bodies were only starting to smell because the adventurers had left them in that pile of nastiness for a day and a half. Not because you hadn't found a way to dispose of them in five minutes. Even Blazec seemed wise enough to realize that.

"We haven't appraised the loot off the bandit they got down out of the tree, nor have we included it in our shares yet. We may as well let them have it. It's the least we can do." Radu gave Hadwisa a polite nod. "We can also send for more craftsmen. Carpenters. Guardsmen. Engineers. If you think you're ready to be able to feed and clothe all of them. If not, maybe you should focus on the basics. Clearing land, planting, hunting, fishing, perhaps getting a raft on that river to make getting stuff across it easier. You'll need to figure out who is calling the shots, doing the general planning. I doubt you really want to rely on us." And when he said us, he glanced mostly toward Blazec.

Dragan looked to the loot. "One short sword, a dagger, leather armor, a wineskin - slightly stinky, and a small pouch with approximately 27 silver pieces and 25 copper pieces." No one had seen him examine the pouch, how he could possibly know how many coins were within was more of a miracle than his prayers. "Seems like generous compensation. But that's fine. Just to save us from having to recalculate our shares."

Hatter
2015-07-15, 01:05 AM
Aeli Pond

Aeli spoke up as she approached the discussions. "I nominate Kliment Orlovsky for Mayor."

She stood there, hip canted to the right, her hand casually resting on the butt of her crossbow which was holstered at her hip and the masterwork manacles dangling from the otherside next to a ready-made noose. She offered a smile and a nod to Radu.

Steckie
2015-07-15, 01:55 PM
Hadwisa

Hadwisa sighs and drops her shoulders a bit. These adventurers are impossible, they're more concerned about their shares than about their followers potentially getting killed because they're underequiped.
If anything happens to one of these people because of their greed she'll shove those 27 silver pieces down Blazec's throat.....
She rubs her forehead, straightens her shoulder and looks around for somebody to help her.
"You there." She says while pointing at Skin, "Start dragging those bodies downstream and a bit into the Woods. If they haven't been eaten tomorrow we'll know there are no wolves nearby. Then we'll bury them there so our water source wont get contaminated."
She points at two other strong looking men. "You two help him. I'll come check on the spot in a moment." She looks at them and it is clear that if they object she'll give them the scolding of a lifetime. It looks as if she's searching for somebody she can yell at.

When she hears Aeli nominate Kliment Orlovsky for mayor she starts objecting. "Maybe we should wait with electing a mayor. I don't even know half of the people here by name. I would first like to get to know people before i choose somebody to lead our group.
Can't we form a committee or something like that, at least for the first few weeks?"

Hatter
2015-07-15, 02:11 PM
Aeli Pond

Aeli glanced over at those she gave orders to with a quirked brow and then back to Hadwisa "Seems you already have a leader in mind."

The guardwoman then looked to Kliment and told him "I'm going to go stand watch." with a click of her tongue, she turned and walked towards the edge of the encampment "Come, Bruce."

She had no respect for someone who would shamelessly call the shots. Snobby noble by the look of her, not a drop of actual experience. Probably didn't even know how to cook. Typical.

Steckie
2015-07-15, 02:20 PM
Hadwisa

Finally somebody to yell at.
"Listen lady, i'm used to ordering people around if they're standing around doing nothing. This does NOT mean i intend to take over the whole group or that i'm most suited to do so. I just want a bit of time to see who's who. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Maybe you want to get on the good sife of the guy with the most noble lineage. But out here on the frontier blood doesn't matter, skill does. You can't see who's skilled with just knowing them for a few days. So keep your bloody comments to yourself."
That felt good, already she's feeling calmer.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-15, 02:26 PM
Blazec looked between the Aeli and Hadwisa. "Ouch. Someone fetch a poultice for those burns." He was obviously instigating, which wasn't helpful at all, but seeing a fight between the two of them was the most entertaining thing since he lit that one guy on fire who ran around in a circle shouting for help until he ran face first into a tree and knocked himself out.

"Not now, lad." Dragan warned his fellow adventurer. "Not now."

Hatter
2015-07-15, 02:28 PM
Aeli Pond

Aeli continued walking, although she spared the time to look over her shoulder with a quirked brow. She wasn't angry and she didn't let the yelling get to her. Typical noble trying to claim she doesn't care about lineage but still ordering people. The guardswoman simply stuck out her tongue and continued on her way.

Steckie
2015-07-16, 11:58 AM
Hadwisa

Hadwisa decides to just ignore Aeli's reaction. She does however gives Blazec a very dirty look. A very long, dirty look while she cracks her fingers.
Then she slowly turns away and follows the men dragging the corpses away. "I'm going to give them some help."

Once she's caught up with Skin dragging a corpse she directs him a bit into the Woods and out of hearing range of the adventurers.
"Just drop them here, Skin, we'll bury them later. First i'm going to search these corpses for anything Blazec and his group might have missed. They must have missed something. And i'm stripping them down completely, if anything i can hopefully get the blood out of the clothes to sell them. Oh and their boots, i'm definitely going to take their boots."
She starts searching all 9 of the bodies, they MUST have missed something. Radu and Andrei might be very focused on their task, but Blazec has the attention span of a ferret.

Taking 20 on perception
Appraising anything that hopefully shows up: [roll0]
I'm hoping the group of adventurers completely failed their perception checks :smallsmile:

Zweanslord
2015-07-16, 02:30 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

Watching how Hadwisa's words had little effect on the adventurers for garnering aid, Kliment hardly seemed bothered by the adventurers stance. When Andrei spoke, the Orlovsky noble sharing noble lineage with the adventurer Kliment looked somewhat pleased as he advocated for them. "Thank you for the consideration, we'll make good use of what the bandit left." He gave as reaction to Dragan.

When Miss Pond spoke up, it caught Kliment by surprise. He was baffled and looked the part. It took him a while to regain composure as Miss Pond and Miss Hadwise spoke amongst each other, but eventually he spoke up. "Thank you for your nomination, Miss Pond, I very much appreciate your turst. I do feel the raised point about the time this group knows eachother applies here and I personally would be more comfortable if the group agrees in unison about such a decision. This currently does not seem to be case." He looked at the others, who had remained silent so far in response. He cast an understanding look.

Much more than that the noble Orlovsky had ill opportunity to say as Aeli moved to stand guard and Hadwise moved to take care of the bodies. Kliment gave a short sigh as he would have liked a more respectful approach to the dead, but he had to admit it was very practical and would allow the group more time to focus on setting up camp.

Turning to the adventurers again, he mentioned: "We'll do our best to settle here. There may be a volunteer amongst us for getting the wand, but if not, I think we'll stay here and set our settlement up as you resupply. I hope the provisions will reach us soon, in any case. Anyway, if you will excuse me, I will help set up camp now."

With that said, Kliment moved to look at the area and tried to use his architectural know-how to determine a good site to set up camp, an area which would benefit them when they would build something more lasting. After walking around, he moves to Aurel. "Mister Aurel, would you care to assist me clearing this site and gathering branches for a campfire? We will also have to look at the best site to keep the herd, what is your opinion on this?"

Profession (Architect) to pick the best site to set up the basis for the settlement. [roll0]

Sunshinebear
2015-07-17, 07:12 AM
Jack Corbel

Jack let out a chuckle as the two women bickered at each other. He watched as Skin and a couple others took her orders to move the bodies and seeing he wasn't needed began to unload his wagon. Looking inside he saw the meagre amount of wood he brought with him, possibly better used a firewood than building materials. He called out to Kliment "I've got a bit of wood here already, use it for what you will. We're gunna need more no matter wot."
He then looked around the area trying to determine if there was anywhere that seemed to have better wood nearby.

Just using woodcutting profession for this, if not applicable I'll do a perception check instead, [roll0]

begooler
2015-07-17, 01:43 PM
Aurel

Aurel pockets his coin purse and decides to stay out of the subject of how to manage the settlement.

Aurel smiles proudly when being addressed as 'Mister.' He wasn't used to being addressed by a formal salutation, especially by a nobleman. "Help set up for the campfire? Gladly."

"I found a spot downstream that might be good for the animals, and put mine up there for now at least. They seemed comfortable. If we keep the horses and livestock towards the outside of the settlement, we have to be wary of wolves. But on the other hand, keeping the animals near the boundary of the settlement could be an extra buffer against any bandits that are returning. Make it harder to sneak up on our camp because they'd spook the horses and such and alert us."

"I'm a fast rider, what if I rode back to Oleg's once we get settled? On top of the wand, there might be more things we want. More supplies, more people, get the news, keep them up to date on what we have to trade. I'd need someone to help take care of my goats while I'm gone though."

EclecticGuru
2015-07-18, 01:14 PM
Skin, the bandit, was still hobbling at best, and incapacitated at worst. Kael had been cautious about healing him fully, wanting to see if he would cause any trouble before applying the full force of his healing magic upon the bandit. At any rate, in Skin's condition, he wasn't able to help much, nor did he seem particularly inclined to push himself to do so.

Steckie
2015-07-19, 08:48 AM
Hadwisa

Hadwisa hadn't noticed Skin's bad condition, she was under the impression that he had been healed. So she just motioned the two other guys she pointed at to start helping. She grabs a leg of one of the dead bodies and as soon as one of the other guys grabs the other she starts dragging.
"So what's your name?"

Strength check i suppose: [roll0]
My other actions actions stay the same, she's still going to search the bodies on spot out of camp. If she can get the bodies there that is :smallsmile:

Zweanslord
2015-07-22, 12:58 PM
Kliment Orlovsky

"Good to hear you found a spot, Mister Aurel." The noble Orlovsky looks pleased to hear the animals were comfortable at their new spot. "I think the latter location might be, for now, the best one. Will make overseeing them easier too." When Aurel suggested he could ride to Oleg's, a thankful smile appeared on Kliment's face. "That would be marvellous. Not only will we be able to help our adventurers, but they in turn would be better able to rid the area of threats towards us. And as you, news and supplies may reach us swifter as well. As for taking care of the animals, we could all try and pitch in or perhaps somebody would be willing to take up the task. Perhaps Skin? You talked to him earlier and besides it being a good opportunity to make himself useful, it also seems within his capabilities given his condition. If there are troubles, he can always come and ask us for further help. Think it would be a good fit for him?"

When Jack offered wood for the campfire, Kliment Orlovsky nodded to him politely. "Thank you, Mister Corbel, we'll happily make use of that wood then. Kind of you to offer it and you are completely correct, we will need more. What do you think is the best way to tackle that goal?"