PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic Knight?

heavyfuel
2015-06-09, 07:35 PM
Which class would be really good as a 3 levels dip in a mainly lockdown build? The character has to be chaotic, so Knight (my previous choice) is a no go.

Crusader is already the rest of the build, but I don't want to keep taking levels in it if all possible (Warblade and SS are still somewhat acceptable, though they don't bring much to a lockdown build)

Zaq
2015-06-09, 07:49 PM
Why do you want to avoid taking more levels of Crusader? It's the go-to class for melee lockdown for a reason, after all.

Beyond that, I guess it really depends on what you've already got and what you're hoping to gain out of those three levels. PsyWar can do fun lockdown things with Expansion (and maybe with access to the Justice mantle through the Mantled Warrior ACF), but with only three levels, you probably won't have enough PP (or enough ML, for that matter) to really make Expansion a primary strategy. Fighter can help you squeeze in an extra couple of feats (you won't want three levels of Fighter, but you might want two), so you can get Knockdown or Stand Still or something if you don't have them already. I'm sure you're aware of the benefits of Warblade already, though exactly what it'll do for you pretty much depends on what level you are when you start taking it (and therefore what your IL is). Barbarian doesn't do much for lockdown per se, but even a lockdown build needs to move to get into position, so you might as well Pounce and make a full attack in the process, and the extra STR from Rage will help with tripping in the one encounter per day when you've got it active. If you're willing to drop your BAB by a point or so, you could dip into Monk for Invisible Fist, which is handy when they take the bait and try to attack you (especially if you take Spectral Skirmisher, from PHB2). (EDIT: Forgot that Monks have to be Lawful, because that's a dumb rule, but it's still a rule.) If you're CG, Paladin of Freedom can make your saves better, if your stats are right for it (though you don't want Pally of Slaughter if you're CE, because that code is just unworkable).

What's your build look like before this 3 level dip, and what are you hoping to gain that you couldn't get from Crusader? I guess that's what it boils down to.

The Viscount
2015-06-10, 01:39 PM
I'm assuming you want 3 levels of Knight for Bulwark of Defense, in which case you can still take the levels of knight. You have to be lawful when you actually take the levels of knight, but if you become nonlawful, all you lose is knight's challenge, and you also don't have to abide by the code anymore.

Rebel7284
2015-06-10, 02:46 PM
Cleric 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7?

Gives you a couple of extra buffs/close wounds and gives you access to Shadow Hand maneuvers (teleporting helps get into position). Best if you can get your Wisdom to 14-16 after items.