PDA

View Full Version : Roleplayer Cred

EvilJames
2007-04-24, 05:12 PM
Whats everones rpg cred how many obscure or unusual systems have you tried, how many normal ones? Post em here.

For this thread the various editions of D&D (ie OD&D, thru 3rd ed) count seperatly due to the large differences between them

For me I've played 1st ed,
2nd ed,
and 3rd (but not OD&D even though I own the books),
Kobolds ate my baby,
Kamb 3rd edition,
Hero,
Star wars (west end games version)
Ice
edit: I also tried a vampire larp once (quite probobly one of the most dull experiences I have ever had at gencon)
how about you?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 05:23 PM
You measure RPG cred purely by number of systems? Bah.

I was born in 1988. When my uncle's gaming group got together at my grandmother's house, guess who got the seat of honor in his high chair? Me.

I had my first AD&D character at the age of 3, and I've been playing ever since, right through the edition change.

I was raised by gamers, both tabletop and LARP. I practiced for LARPing (real LARPing, out in the woods and the dirt with the sweat and the bugs and the foam-padded weapons, not sissy rock-paper-scissors hotel LARPs :smallwink:) for as long as I can remember.

And, since you seem so interested in systems, I've dabbled in GURPS and L5R, Star Wars d20, and d20 Modern, played 2e AD&D, and am moderately content with 3.5.

JellyPooga
2007-04-24, 05:25 PM
In chronological order:

Heroquest (o.k. so it's a board game, but it seemed like an RPG when I was 6)
Advanced Heroquest (see note on Heroquest)
Advanced Fighting Fantasy
Fighting Fantasy (+gamebooks...see note on Heroquest)
AD&D (2nd ed.)
...[big gap mostly involving wargames, though I did start developing my own RPG system]...
D&D (3.0 / 3.5)
Traveller
World of Darkness (+ a homebrewed variant)
MechWarrior 3rd Ed.
GURPS

EvilJames
2007-04-24, 05:27 PM
i'm not merely interested in systems as cred but I am interested in how diverse other peoples gaming habits are.

PS I forgot about larp I'll have to make an edit

Amiria
2007-04-24, 05:28 PM
2nd Edition AD&D
D&D 3.0 and D&D 3.5
Cthulhu (Chaosium)
Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye)
GURPS 3rd edition
Earthdawn
Elric (Chaosium)
Hunter: The Reckoning
Mage: The Ascension
PP&P (Plüsch, Power und Plunder)
Shadowrun 2nd and 3rd edition
Star Wars (West End Games)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse

But many of those I played only for one or few sessions ... like the WoD stuff.

JellyPooga
2007-04-24, 05:41 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot 'Call of Cthulhu'...that goes in just after MechWarrior on my list.

TomTheRat
2007-04-24, 06:09 PM
(real LARPing, out in the woods and the dirt with the sweat and the bugs and the foam-padded weapons, not sissy rock-paper-scissors hotel LARPs :smallwink:)

I was part of a storytelling team that ran a Vamp Larp for almost 5 years. At its peak, we had 60 regular players, and we had a bars to ourselves (due to deals with the management) due to the sheer number of players. We told stories whos telling took hundreds of play-hours over multiple years. We turned heroes into monsters and monsters into heroes.

LARPs get a bad rep because the bad ones are so painfully, tortuously awful. And public. But when you walk into a club and there are 60 people in there, ghouls, neonates, ancillae, elders, Princes and humans and they've all been warring with each other for the last 3 years, well, its a hell of a feeling.

You think running a DnD game takes work? Try running a major LARP.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 07:14 PM
I was part of a storytelling team that ran a Vamp Larp for almost 5 years. At its peak, we had 60 regular players, and we had a bars to ourselves (due to deals with the management) due to the sheer number of players. We told stories whos telling took hundreds of play-hours over multiple years. We turned heroes into monsters and monsters into heroes.

LARPs get a bad rep because the bad ones are so painfully, tortuously awful. And public. But when you walk into a club and there are 60 people in there, ghouls, neonates, ancillae, elders, Princes and humans and they've all been warring with each other for the last 3 years, well, its a hell of a feeling.

You think running a DnD game takes work? Try running a major LARP.

If you think that any less preparation goes into a LARP that involves running around and hitting things then your Vampire game, you are sadly mistaken. I'm currently NPCing in a game run by my uncle called Radiant Dragon (http://www.larp.com/radiant/).

You know that feeling you got when you walked into that club? I know that feeling. I felt it every time I helped drop a hint about an important plot point, and you're right. It's a hell of a feeling.

But I doubt that you know the feeling that comes from walking onto a grassy field in the middle of the night and looking across at the clumped silhuoettes of the 50 or 60 samurai waiting for you - shugenja, wu jen, priests, and bushi - and knowing that you're going to go over there and fight people who've been doing this kind of thing since before you could walk. The thrill every time you manage to block or dodge the sword blow of someone who you know is a master. The thrill when you actually manage to get through their guard and land a blow of your own...

Or from the other side, as a PC - going off into the nighttime woods, not knowing what's waiting for you, subsuming yourself fully into the character and looking and listening fearfully for the rustle in the foliage that could betray the approach of a werewolf or a lizard creature or assassin bent on your death. Fearing the cut of their claws, the burning sting of the corrosive poison they can spew... or the supernatural threats, able to end your life with a single gesture or word.

I have been more than once genuinely in fear for my life as I crossed my blade with the claws of a lizardman, dodged the poisoned arrow of a hostile native, or leapt back to avoid a scything blade of instant death. It is impossible that the immersion and suspension of disbelief could have been so total and so complete as to make me afraid that I was going to die, if every one of the encounters I just described had been decided by a contest of rock-paper-scissors.

To put it in perspective, imagine if the LotR cast had had to use rock-paper-scissors when fighting all the orcs at Helmsdeep or Minas Tirith. It would have been laughable. Same thing.

TomTheRat
2007-04-24, 07:28 PM
To put it in perspective, imagine if the LotR cast had had to use rock-paper-scissors when fighting all the orcs at Helmsdeep or Minas Tirith. It would have been laughable. Same thing.

Mmm. If hitting people with swords is the point, then yes, it would be laughable.

Indon
2007-04-24, 07:32 PM
Hmm.

AD&D
Battletech/Mechwarrior (Don't remember what year the setting was when I first started playing, though)
Shadowrun 3'rd ed.
A whole lot of the World of Darkness stuff; my favorite were the Ananasi and Technocracy.
A couple of the Dark Ages stuff.
Exalted 1'st ed.

D20:
Wheel of Time
Call of Cthulhu
Mutants and Masterminds
D&D 3.0
D&D 3.5

And I've run a couple freeform games.

Edit: Also Star Wars D20, Kobolds Ate My Baby, and Ninja Burger (the non-card game, though I've played that as well, it's not really an RPG).

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 07:33 PM
The point isn't to hit people with swords (although that is quite fun :smallsmile:). It's about the greater level of immersion achievable because of the ability to resolve combats and the like without resorting to a blatantly OOC method.

Kurobara
2007-04-24, 07:37 PM
D&D 3.0e/3.5e
Exalted 1e/2e
Shadowrun 4e
Legend of the 5 Rings 3e
Dogs in the Vineyard

Though they've all been one-offs except for D&D and Exalted.

TomTheRat
2007-04-24, 07:40 PM
The point isn't to hit people with swords (although that is quite fun :smallsmile:). It's about the greater level of immersion achievable because of the ability to resolve combats and the like without resorting to a blatantly OOC method.

I would say that immersion levels are equal, assuming that people's costumes are good (they aren't always) and the setting (your woods, my bar) are more or less willing to suffer the indignities of LARPers.

On one hand, in Vamp the people who resolve conflict via combat are the ones who have failed miserably at the game. Death is final, final, final. To me, that's far, far more immersive than "doh, so-and-so is really good at boffo fighting, and I'm a computer programmer so I got my butt handed to me, oh well, -1 life tag". But in the end, its just a matter of preference. Using -your- skills would be the opposite of roleplaying.

The LARPs that I ran, the rock-paper-scissors only came out when it absolutely had to.

EvilElitest
2007-04-24, 07:44 PM
I picked up a massive amount from a gaming store going out of buinsess
Ask me about them, or PM if you play any that are really obsure
Demon wars
Dawn Forge
Midnight
Ghostwalk
Blackmoor
Green races
Ravenloft
Everquest
Dragonlance
and a few otehrs
from,
EE

Driderman
2007-04-24, 07:45 PM
Without any further de-railing:

Born 1982, got my Heroquest game at about age 10 I think. Played it a whole lot, then turned it into a full-fledged roleplaying game completely with maps and homemade stats and all. You'd be surprised how many major cities could be built on the same damn board without it getting boring. Same goes for Space Crusade.
Then played a whole lot of Sword & Sorcery type books and bought AD&D when I was 12 or so, played it a whole lot, until I started gaming all sorts of World Of Darkness games at age 14 or 15. Tried a whole lot of other systems and played a lot of dice-less (roleplaying without systems, called freeform maybe?) until the new D&D came out. Now I almost solely play D20.

The list would be something like this, in no particular order:
Heroquest/Space Crusade
AD&D
Sword & Sorcery
Vampire
Werewolf ( And assorted sideproducts like most other Changing Breeds and Freak Legion )
Mage
Changeling
Wraith
Twillight 2000 ( Or maybe it was Merc2000 )
Call Of Cthulhu
Gurps
Some game I can't remember what was called, where you played only with Tarot cards and your character traits were defined by values corresponding to the four elements
Rift
Shadowrun
Warhammer Fantasy roleplay
D20 ( All sorts, D&D, modern, you name it )

And I probably forgot a lot as well.... Man, I've played a lot of systems during these years. And besides Twillight and Rifts, I've played them a lot too

storybookknight
2007-04-24, 07:46 PM
I've played Orcworld! I mean, I've played a bunch of other stuff too, but Orcworld is about adventuring orcs, who keep getting massacred by evil elves. There are hilarious game mechanics - Bards are responsible for 'remembering the deeds' of the other players, which means that the bards give out experience, and the chieftesses are too dumb to know that having sex creates babies - sex is something fun to do (and a way of controlling your peons) and babies come from the gods.

JellyPooga
2007-04-24, 07:49 PM
Ooo oo oo! I forgot Cyberpunk 2020 too (man I've got a sieve for a head:smalltongue: ). That goes in my list just after D&D (3.0).

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 07:53 PM
I would say that immersion levels are equal, assuming that people's costumes are good (they aren't always) and the setting (your woods, my bar) are more or less willing to suffer the indignities of LARPers.

I have fortunately been blessed so far in that the people I LARP with understand the value of good costuming.

On one hand, in Vamp the people who resolve conflict via combat are the ones who have failed miserably at the game. Death is final, final, final. To me, that's far, far more immersive than "doh, so-and-so is really good at boffo fighting, and I'm a computer programmer so I got my butt handed to me, oh well, -1 life tag". But in the end, its just a matter of preference. Using -your- skills would be the opposite of roleplaying.

The LARPs that I ran, the rock-paper-scissors only came out when it absolutely had to.

I can see your point, I guess it's just a matter of differing genres and expectations.

I still say you're sissies, though. :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

clockwork warrior
2007-04-24, 08:23 PM
dnd 3.5
monte cooks arcana unearthed
call of cthulhu
dagorhir (foam fighting larp)

PnP Fan
2007-04-25, 12:43 AM
hmm. . . Let's see. . .
Boxed set D&D (Beginner's through Companion sets)
1st Ed AD&D (numerous campaigns in HS)
2nd Ed AD&D (numerous campaigns in HS/College)
3.0/3.5 Ed D&D (EBCS/FRCS/Vanilla)
GURPS 3rd Ed. (Fantasy, Sci Fi, Supers, and Psionics)
Star Frontiers (80's TSR Fantasy game)
d20 Modern (Supernatural Paranormal Task force of Alabama)
Cyberpunk 2020 (numerous)
Middle Earth Fantasy RP / Role Master (one session didn't get past painfully booring character creation)
Vampire (1, 2, 3/revised) (Camarilla, Sabbat, and Black Hand characters)
Werewolf (1, 2, 3/revised) (Various and Sundry, including the Apocalypse)
Mage (1, 2) (several short term games, one PBP game)
Changeling (several 1-shots in 2nd, playtested 1st ed. They didn't listen to a thing we said.)
Fading Suns (original not d20version)
Talislanta (dont' remember version #, but some time in the '80's)
DC Heroes (2nd and 3rd eds, lots of 1-3 session games)
Marvel Super Heroes (lousy chart version from the 80's)
Gamma World (also lousy chart version from the 80's, The game where I had to make a Hit roll to see if my character could shoot his own head off.)
Battletech (not really RPing, but we played it some)
Shadowrun (3rd ed?, a few sessions here and there)
Exalted (1st ed, a few sessions)
Mutants and Masterminds (1, and 2nd ed, numerious campaigns)
Aberrant (several short lived campaigns)
Trinity (one shot)
Adventure (2-3 sessions)
Conspiracy-X (1 session, lamest game ever, if you play a psychic, you have to be psychic)
Wheel of Time (1 campaign)
A Game of Thrones (ongoing campaign)
SpyCraft (1 shot)
Star Wars d20 (both versions, whole campaigns)
Star Wars d6 (couple of sessions)
Playtested one Published Dungeon Module (that I'd have to go look up) when I attended NorwestCon a few years ago.
I've done some LARPing, both of the "rough and tumble" padded weapon type and the "hotel" variety. Didn't care for any of them.
Truth and Justice (Atomic Sock Monkey's Superhero game, 6 months)
I almost forgot, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (80's version).
did forget: Paladium FRP, Champions, and Feng Shui.

I'm sure there's other stuff that I'm forgetting, little one-shots here and there, but I think that's the bulk of it. I kinda miss the variety of game mechanics from the "good old days" but I'm mostly happy with 3.5 and it's variants. It's not perfect, but that's why you have the DM around, to help make sense of the things.

GMBeowulf
2007-04-25, 08:57 AM
2nd Ed AD&D, 3.0 and 3.5 D&D
World of Darkness: Mage: The Ascension 2nd/revised and Mage: Sorceror's Crusade, Vampire 2nd/revised, Werewolf 2nd/revised, Changeling 1st/2nd, Mummy 2nd, Wraith 2nd, Demon, Sorceror, various changing breeds, etc.
Aberrant, Trinity
Call of Cthulhu (5th)
Paranoia
Star Wars (d6)
Spycraft (d20)
Cyberpunk 2020
TOON
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the set based on All Flesh Must Be Eaten)
GURPS
Champions
Palladium Heroes Unlimited (and a Palladium X-Com homebrew)
Cartoon Action Hour
RISUS
Hol

...I've been a busy boy.

Dausuul
2007-04-25, 10:05 AM
You measure RPG cred purely by number of systems? Bah.

I was born in 1988. When my uncle's gaming group got together at my grandmother's house, guess who got the seat of honor in his high chair? Me.

I had my first AD&D character at the age of 3, and I've been playing ever since, right through the edition change.

And I've still been playing longer than you. Started in 6th grade, back in 1987. Twenty years this fall. Arrrrr. :)

As far as game systems I've played at one point or another, let me see...

Basic D&D (back when "elf" was a class)
AD&D (1E and 2E)
D&D 3.0
D&D 3.5
Iron Heroes
Vampire: The Masquerade
Aberrant
GURPS
Rifts
Assorted homebrews

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-25, 10:06 AM
Ah, but I still have the lead in percentage terms. I've been a gamer for my entire life. :smalltongue:

Mr Croup
2007-04-25, 10:34 AM
Let's see, I'm sure I'm missing something, but here we go:
1st ed. D&D
2nd ed. D&D
3.5 D&D
Shadowrun - not sure which editions, but it was a little more than a decade ago
d20 Babylon 5
Call of Cthulhu - 4th, 5th, and 6th, I believe
Star Wars - Westin and d20 versions
Pendragon
Deadlands - the original system
Engel
Nobilis
All the old WoD games: Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, Changeling, Hunter, Kindred of the East, Orpheus.
WoD Dark Ages
Exalted
In Nomine
Earthdawn
Fading Suns
Nephilim
L5R
GURPS
Champions

And a couple of homebrewed systems and settings.

As far as LARPs go, I've played in and run various old WoD games, as well as running the premier of a salon style LARP version of Rapture for Holistic Design.

I've played several boffer LARPs (Wildlands - NERO, Legynds, King's Gate, Xodus) and run one.

All said and done, I've been gaming for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 years, with a couple breaks in there.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-25, 10:38 AM
I have been playing RPG's since 1st ed, and have played a ton of other systems. I remember when it D&D was new...

Fhaolan
2007-04-25, 11:09 AM
Oh lord, I'm not sure I *remember* all the game systems.... Okay, here I go...

AD&D 1st and 2nd, with all expansions at one time or another.
Albedo
Amber
Aria
Babylon 5
Blue Planet
Boot Hill
Call of Chthulu (pre-d20 version)
Car Wars (yes, it did have an RPG element before it got GURPSified. Just not much of one. :smallwink: )
Champions
Changelings: The Dreaming, Mage: The Ascension, Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Wraith: The Oblivion
Chill
Chivalry & Sorcery
Chronicles of Avalon
Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020
Dr. Who RPG
Dominion Tank Police RPG
D&D 3.0 and 3.5
D&D blue-book, red-book through to Masters, and Cyclopedia.
Everway
Furry Pirates and Furry ... something or other. Can't remember exactly.
Gamma World (original version)
GURPs 2nd and 3rd
Harn
Hong Kong Action Theater
Indiana Jones RPG
Marvel Superheroes
MERP
Og
Paladium games (Beyond the Supernatural, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas & Superspies, Paladium Fantasy, RIFTs, etc.)
Prime Directive
Primetime Adventures
Rolemaster
Shadowrun 2nd and 3rd
Star Frontiers and Zebulon's Guide
Star Trek Next Generation and Original Series
TMNT and After the Bomb
Toon
Top Secret
Triads of Tir Na n'Og
Tunnels & Trolls
Usagi Yojimbo RPG
Villans & Vigilantes
Warhammer Fantasy
World of Synnabar (once, and I still regret it)

And of course, there's all the stuff playtested that never made it to print, so I'm not sure they count.

EDIT: Shoot. Forgot: Paranoia. How could I forget Paranoia?
EDIT2: Justifiers (Still have all the supliments for that in a box somewhere. Forgot completely)

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-04-25, 11:32 AM
Well, Fhaolan's list will definitely beat mine by a long shot, but here's my list:

Basic D&D
Expert D&D (The games came in a box set with crummy dice! Woot!)
AD&D 1st Edition
AD&D 2nd Ed
AD&D 3rd & 3.5 Ed
Star Frontiers
Gamma World
Traveller (1st Ed and 2nd)
Star Wars (West End Games version)
Star Wars (d20 version)
Amber Diceless RPG
Vampire: The Masquerade
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Mage: The Ascension
Wraith: The Oblivion
Changeling: The Dreaming
Exalted (1st Ed, though may be joining a 2nd Ed group soon)
d20 Future
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness
Heroes Unlimited
RIFTs (And I've regretted it ever since)
Robotech
Middle Earth Roleplaying (From the makers of Rolemaster)
Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium version)
Elric (Chaosium)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st and 2nd)
The Masquerade (Vampire LARP)
Mechwarrior (Battletech was great wargame, this was a terrible RPG)
Dr. Who the RPG
Marvel Superheroes (from TSR)
Champions
Chill
Ars Magica (3rd Edition)
Cyberpunk
Shadowrun
Paranoia

There are a couple others in the list that I remember playing, but for the life of me I can't remember the title. Anyhow, there's my modest list.

Jayabalard
2007-04-25, 11:42 AM
hmm...

D&D (basic/expert/companion and I think a little bit of master, but I don't remember)
AD&D (1ed)
D&D 3.5
Conan FRPG (the old TSR version)
Top Secret/SI
Powers and Perils FRPG
Palladium FRPG
Ninjas and Superspies
TMNT & other Strangeness
Robotech macross through invid invasion.
Rifts (several flavors))
Heroes Unlimited
Marvel Super Heroes RPG
Batman RPG (simplified from DC heroes iirc)
MERP
GURPS 2nd/3rd edition, lots of different Genre's campaigns
Paranoia
Deadlands
Cyberpunk 2013
Lone wolf
Munchkin

there's probably a few that I'm forgetting.

Revin
2007-04-25, 11:49 AM
WOTC
2nd edition advanced D&D
3.0 D&D
3.5 D&D
Starwars d20

White Wolf
Changeling the Dreaming
Exalted 1st edition
Hunter the Reckoning
Mage the Ascension
Vampire the Dark Ages
Vampire the Masquerade
Vampire the Requiem
Werewolf the Apocalypse

FASA
Earthdawn
Shadowrun 2nd edition
Shadowrun 3rd edition

Games Workshop
Warhammer fantasy role-play

Swedish role-playing systems
Dragons and Demons
Western

Other
Legend of the Five Rings d10
Lord of the Rings d6

Whisper
2007-04-25, 12:29 PM
I think this is the complete list.

Basid D&D
D&D 1st ed
Top Secret
Runequest II&III
Star Trek
Star Wars
Heroes Unlimited
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
D&D 2nd ed.
Shadowrun 1st & 2nd
D&D 3.5

Diggorian
2007-04-25, 12:59 PM
Let's see, my resume. RPGing since my junior year of high school in '92.

-- 2nd Ed. AD&D (TSR)
played
-- Marvel Superheroes (TSR)
GMed a bit, my first game I GMed
-- Rifts (Paladium)
played and GMed, incorporating Ninjas and Superspies, Palladium Fantasy, Heroes Unlimited, and Phase World into the stew.
-- Robotech (Palladium)
played and GMed
-- Earthdawn
played a bit
-- Star Wars (West End)
GMed
-- Macross
one shot
-- D6 (WEst End)
GMed some homebrews
-- Deadlands
one shot
-- Alternity (TSR)
played extensively
-- Aberrant (White Wolf)
played
-- Vampire the Masquerade (White Wolf)
played
-- Mage the Ascension (White Wolf)
played short lived
-- Champions (4th Ed.)
played with great difficulty
-- 3rd Ed. D&D (WOTC)
played and DMed extensively; Greyhawk, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, Darksun, lotsa homebrew
-- Wheel of Time
played
-- Mutants and Masterminds (Green Ronin)
played and GMed a bit
-- D20 Modern (WOTC)
played and GMed
-- D20 Future (WOTC)
GMed
-- 3.5 D&D
played and DMed extensively
-- D20 Star Wars, original and Revised, may do Saga (WOTC)
played and GMed extensively; Rebellion era and two Pre-Prequel campaigns
-- Exalted (White Wolf)
Narrated a bit

90% tabletop, some PbP, some chat. LARPed Vampire once ... horrible.

GMed or DMed for perhaps 70 players in Mid- and Southeast Michigan plus worldwide online over these past 15 years.

clarkvalentine
2007-04-25, 04:19 PM
I'll limit this to the obscure games/systems.

Boot Hill
Fvlminata (this game is frakking brilliant)
Run Out The Guns
Witchcraft
Burning Wheel
Dogs in the Vineyard
Qin: Warring States
Fireborn

Soniku
2007-04-25, 09:16 PM
Ooh, let's see...

OD&D
1st ed AD&D
3rd ed
3.5 ed
Kobolds ate my baby
Warhammer fantasy roleplay (also ran a modified variant)
Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Hunter, Changeling, Exalted (all 1st)
Fortiquest (a very awesome homebrew)
Hero (not the actual one, a homebrew from the same friend as the above that happened to get the same name...and also awesome :smallsmile: my friend should get it published)
Heavy Gear
Star wars d6
Ravenloft
GURPs

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-26, 08:55 AM
DnD - Eberron and homebrew, mostly.

LARP - Tried it once. May try it again some day.

M:tG - Yes, it's possible (and fun!) to roleplay a game of Magic.

And that's it.

Meschaelene
2007-04-26, 09:25 AM
I think this thread is really "Gamer Cred", since it has little RP to it...

My first role playing adventure was a first level cleric in Tomb of Horrors. Yep -- not kidding at all... This was back when Advanced Dungeons and Dragons was really new -- we were reading in the Player's Handbook "Your Dungeon Master has more information in the Dungeon Master's Guide", but that had not yet been printed. So, we were just guessing on the little details -- things like saving throws and to-hit tables. We based our guesses off of some Chainmail rules someone had.

D+D -- Basic, Expert, Advanced, 2nd Ed, Masque of the Red Death, "Version 2.5 (Skills and Powers)", 3.0 and 3.5.
d20 Star Wars, d20 Modern, d20 Everquest
the d6 Star Wars
Cyberpunk 2020
GURPS
Bunnies and Burrows -- I also own it! :smallcool:
Shadowrun
Earthdawn
Palladium Fantasy
Rifts
Recon
Top Secret
Star Frontiers
Gamma World (original only)
The James Bond RPG
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Vampire
Mage
Werewolf
Vampire live-action
Paranoria
The Star Trek RPG
Dr. Who RPG
Chivalry and Sorcery (All 3 editions)
Robotech
Deadlands
That Iron Crown Enterprises RPG with the endless books of tables for every weapon and the really gory critical hits -- yeah, that game...
Middle Earth Roleplaying -- the above system, lite
Legend of the Five Rings
Traveller -- original box, Marc Miller and Gurps
Champions
Heroes Unlimited (?)
Twilight 2000
Mechwarrior
Seventh Sea

A couple other one-shots I don't remember the name of, and a few that I've been seeing a therapist to try and forget.

Fhaolan
2007-04-26, 10:06 AM
I think this thread is really "Gamer Cred", since it has little RP to it...

:smallbiggrin: If it was just 'Gamer Cred', I'd have to list all the wargames I used to play too. Star Fleet Battles, Axis & Allies, Tractics, Battletech, Dominon, etc.

Penguinsushi
2007-04-26, 10:20 AM
Sheesh. I guess I'm a relative 'newby' compared to some of you all.

First contact: I think i was junior-high-ish playing the Hero Quest board game. A few friends of mine who are otherwise NOT roleplayers used to play that game quite a bit in our early highschool years.

Later in highschool, I played a bit of White Wolf stuff. I generally played a Mage character in the Werewolf or Vampire games they were playing. Our general gaming time was 8th block study hall.

Didn't play anything for a while. Later in college I was reintroduced to gaming and started with a regular group. We played a little with several systems/games in including Paranoia, Gurps and Rifts - but when 3rd ed D&D came out later that year, we pretty much started playing only that.

I've now been GM'ing 3/3.5 ed D&D for about 7 years. I've also played around a bit with some homebrewed games and systems.

Oh, and if you count games like Munchkin (any), Ninja Burger or Shadows Over Camelot as adding anything to RP cred, then I've got some of those too.

~PS

Mellchia
2007-04-26, 11:13 AM
D&D
AD&D
AD&D 2nd ed
D&D 3rd Ed
D&D 3.5
D20 Modern
Call of Cthulhu (BRP & D20)
Star Wars - d6 & D20
LOT5R
Feng Shui
Shadowrun
Mechwarrior
GURPS
Traveller (Mesch you played this one too?!)
Vampire: the Masquerade & Requiem
Mage: the Awakening & Ascension
Werewolf (Old WoD)
Changling: the Dreaming
Kindred of the East
Hunter: the Reckoning
Bushido
BESM
Lone Wolf

People are counting Heroquest, so throw that in there. There's been some homebrewed stuff (Utilizing M:tG cards and the like when we were younger).

Matthew
2007-04-27, 11:12 AM
Hmmn. Although I had read a few Fighting Fantasy Books beforehand, I started playing RPGs around 1990, being introduced through Hero Quest, then moving on to Advanced Hero Quest before finally playing War Hammer Fantasy Roleplay. We switched into Dungeons & Dragons fairly early on, starting off with the Red Box version of Basic Dungeons & Dragons. After a year or two of gaming sveral friends and I joined a Games Club where we were more formally introduced to Roleplaying (and Metal at the same time). Advanced Dungeons and Dragons became our game of choice and we played it *a lot*. Primarily through the Games Club I was also exposed to a fairly wide range of other roleplaying games, such as Rifts, Gurps, Werewolf, SLA Industries, Cyberpunk, Middle Earth Roleplaying, Star Wars D6, amongst others that I do not recall (There was one where we were all playing Ghosts, one where we were playing Soldiers / Alien Hunters, another that involved Time Travel and the plot of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and probably others that I don't recall - they were mainly one shot games or short campaigns).
Around 1995/1996 the Games Club became unsustainable and our group pretty much stopped playing published Roleplaying games in favour of a homebrewed Skill Based Fantasy RPG. We still occasionally played the odd game of (A)D&D or whatever, but for the most part we spent our money elsewhere (Beer and Women, mainly). In 2002 I was inspired by The Knights of the Dinner Table and changing circumstances (our gaming group was becoming increasingly dispersed by real life commitments) to start up a new group and play a Homebrewed and (extensively) Houseruled (A)D&D Campaign. That lasted from 2002 until 2005 and, by all accounts, was a great success. Sadly, I was constrained to move back up north at the end of that year.
Since then, I have played Dungeons & Dragons 3.x (no long term campaigns) and dabbled in a few other RPGs, such as 7th Sea.

Teloric
2007-04-27, 12:42 PM
I've been roleplaying since 1983. Started with the old "Basic" DnD, then moved up to "Expert" DnD. Good times.

I really admire some of you guys who can actually remember many of the games you've played. I've played so many different roleplaying games that I'm not even going to try to list them. At a guess, I'd say I've played around 40 or 50 different systems, many that you'll never see today, and some that have been around for a long, long time.

So, among my favourites:

Talislanta - I've played pretty much every version of this. I'm currently gearing up to run a 4.0 campaign. Doesn't look like I'll pick up version 5 though...

Rolemaster - Heck, we were playing this just last year. Great system, lots of detail. Love those critical tables.

GURPS - I really like this game for the well-researched worldbooks. Not real high on the system itself though.

Mage, the Ascension - I love the concept in this game, and the fact that the emphasis is more on Roleplaying than on die-rolling.

Palladium - I've played a number of versions of this, especially back in the old days in the Fantasy genre. Lots of fun.

Pendragon - I always liked the personality system in this game. Never been duplicated.

Stormbringer - I don't know if any of you will remember this game... maybe some of the old timers, like me. I remember having lots of fun, but not much detail about the system.

Dragonquest - another one I haven't played in 20 years or more. Dragon's kicked butt in this game.

And, of course, DnD. We're playing 3.0/3.5 right now (elements of both). Always a classic.

I've also played many superhero games, like Champions/Hero as well as both Marvel and DC systems. Call of Cthulu is another that we're talking about resurrecting in the next year or so. There was also Traveller, Star Trek, Star Wars, and a number of other futuristic games (one called Universe)...

Oh, and how can I forget Toon! Silly, but fun. You've got to have right mind set to play Toon...

There were many, many more. Thankfully I've never gotten into computer games. They just aren't the same...