PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "You look (like a) Familiar" Character concept discussion.

Xuldarinar
2015-06-09, 09:45 PM
An idea that came to mind that I'd like to see how people would approach.

A creature normally used as a familiar (an imp, a quasit, ect.) as a character who chooses to pass as a familiar to another creature, finding such a thing their to advantage. The "familiar" possessing class levels while the "master" may be a creature under their control, an individual they have an agreement with, or perhaps something entirely fabricated.

So, what do you think of the concept and how would you approach it?

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-09, 09:49 PM
My favorite way to go about this is a Tibbit Death Master (both from Dragon Compendium). Use Gentle Repose and a good deal of physical maintenance to make your undead minion look like he's a living wizard with poor hygiene, and then pretend to be the "wizard"'s cat familiar.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-06-09, 09:50 PM
This could be a lot of fun. One of the easiest ways to accomplish this is to play a Kitsune and pick up Fox Shape. You can actually be a pretty powerful melee fighter with an Agile AoMF in your fox form due to all the Agility stacking.

For extra fun, pick up a fox familiar with the Decoy archetype. By level 11 you can turn into a fox, your fox can turn into you and nobody will ever be certain which one of you is the real you.

Xuldarinar
2015-06-09, 11:32 PM
How about this?

A summoner (Either version. Some of the evolutions from the standard summoner such as the spell-like abilities would be beneficial to this). The eidolon take the role of the apparent master.

Or

An illusionist who tries to maintain a convincing illusion of an individual, such as some robed generic spellcaster. If they can make it so their spells appear to originate from where the illusion is, so much the better.

I do like the idea of using necromancy in some form or another to accomplish the effect, gentle repose working well for this, or trying to make their primary undead minion a convincing lich if worst comes to worst.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-09, 11:45 PM
If I ever end up playing a supermount build with an intelligent mount (e.g. via Dragon Steed), I'm going to roleplay the mount as the one with brains, and the rider as a bumbling oaf who doesn't know how to do much more than hold a lance. Comes online at level 9 at the earliest assuming it's a Paladin/Beastmaster Devoted Tracker build, but it still counts.