PDA

View Full Version : Giant Elk Barbarian

numerek
2015-06-09, 11:48 PM
Circle of the Moon Druid 6 / Path of the Totem Warrior Barbarian 5

Concept
Be a Giant Elk with barbarian damage resistance, extra attack, any time advantage on attacks, plus feats to help get more attacks

You will have 70 speed(Fast Movement) so quite a bit to do the positioning necessary for the charge ability.
So move 20 feet straight towards a target and hit with a ram attack(2d6+4(+2 or more if raging)) on the same turn, then it takes an additional 2d6 and must succeed on a dc 14 strength saving throw or be knocked prone. It does not say that this can only happen once per turn.

Then if the target is knocked prone any subsequent attacks can be stomps that deal 4d8+4(+2 or more if raging)

Race
Rock Gnome
Advantage on 3 stats saves against magic

Other Races
human variant for a free feat
Half orc relentless endurance savage attacks

Starting stats

Strength 13
Dexterity 14
Constitution 16
Intelligence 10
wisdom 13
Charisma 9

Equipment
hide armor until gets unarmored defense from barbarian
shield

Skills
animal handling, athletics, perception, survival

Progression
* indicates war domain spells

Standard level one druid stuff nothing build specific
Hopefully your dm lets you have seen a good animal
Standard druid stuff
The build needs Great weapon Master (first ability doesn't have the heavy weapon requirement), after that maybe sentinel, mage slayer, lucky, if your dm would let you get the bonus action grapple with a ram and/or stomp and/or let you use your proficiency bonus instead of the Giant Elks(+2) then Tavern Brawler would be very good.
Standard druid stuff, can possibly conjure a giant elk, though 2 ways it may not work for seeing a giant elk dm may apply seen requirement, The summoned Giant Elk is a fey spirit that takes the form of a Giant Elk.
If you haven't seen a Giant Elk yet its not so bad hopefully you've seen a challenge rating 2 beast, beast attacks are magical very important
Barbarian rage extra damage, advantage on athletics, limited damage resistance, unarmored defense, yes I know you can't rage and concentrate but its only 2 minutes a day and your spell slots aren't unlimited.
Reckless attack, I think this works pretty well with beast high damage attacks and alternate hitpoint pool, but ymmv, danger sense more advantage on saving throws
Bear totem sweet sweet resistance
Some feat you didn't take at 4th level
Extra Attack, Fast Movement, if you haven't seen a giant Elk by now then your SOL.

Team support
You would be one of the best targets for haste
Second best target behind sneak attacking rogue if you can stomp for Commander's strike

Beyond That
Tons of option though some my require changing initial stats
Barbarian another rage per day totem feature, 2 get advantage on initiative and harder to surprise
War domain Cleric, quick dip to get a few bonus action attacks per day, or 2 level dip for 1 attack hitting every short rest
Druid higher level shapes more spell slots, higher level spells
Fighter Mariner fighting style if you can get it no other ones work as a giant elk RAW, second wind kinda makes up for having few spell slots, 2 action surge, 3 champion or battle master(precision strike!)
Paladin more healing, another way to burn spell slots

Alternatives
You could do Path of the Berserker which would be great for dpr but survivability would suffer and Giant Elks actually have less hitpoints than a challenge rating 1 giant hyena
You could swap barbarian 5 for fighter 5 but again survivability, the Giant Elk's attacks are only good if you can stay in the form.
If your a extra attack fan you can do barbarian first then do the druid levels.

Advantages

84 alternate hitpoints per short rest with 101(4 more if you start barbarian) base hitpoints
3(4 if you go to barbarian 6) times per day resistance to all damage types except psychic
mobility
High damage magical attacks
no need to use Ability Score increases on stats, Circle of the Moon druid in general is a great choice if you rolled low stats you don't even really need wisdom
You are effectively a 1/2 caster and can be more than that if you switch back to leveling druid at level 12.

Disadvantages

low AC (Giant Elk is 14 but if you dm doesn't have natural armor count against you for qualifying for unarmored defense then 15)
Standard multiclass disadvantages Delay/give up higher level abilities of one class
Huge size so can't be used with low overhead/small room (would need to use a smaller form=less damage)
beast's to hit is not stated to be effected by your proficiency modifier(see dm fiat section)
Melee not near as good when wild shapes run out

DM Fiat
Let you use your proficiency(+4 at level 11) to hit instead of beasts(+2) perhaps via feat tavern brawler/weapon master(this is consider one of the worst feats and as is it would only be +2 to +4 with a situation weapon)
Let you consider your attacks as great weapons since they are greater than any other weapon/ or potentially allow to qualify for dueling

AmbientRaven
2015-06-10, 02:12 AM
I may be wrong but Extra Attack doesn't affect animal forms as far as I am aware.

Also, if you want a knock prone do damage person

Battlemaster Fighter 11 w/ greatsword
3 Attacks
6d6+3*str damage per round. Can trip attack on each attack. if first lands next two have advantage. You can Great Weapon master power attack for an extra 15*3 damage if needed.

Can action surge for 12D6 + 6* str + 90 (power attack) damage in a round. Far surpassing the Druid/barbarian mix in this damage type.

Less movement speed, but it does the same you are trying to do, and can start doing it from level 3

numerek
2015-06-10, 07:46 AM
I may be wrong but Extra Attack doesn't affect animal forms as far as I am aware.

The only thing I'm aware of is it doesn't work with multi attack

Also, if you want a knock prone do damage person

Battlemaster Fighter 11 w/ greatsword
3 Attacks
6d6+3*str damage per round. Can trip attack on each attack. if first lands next two have advantage. You can Great Weapon master power attack for an extra 15*3 damage if needed.

Can action surge for 12D6 + 6* str + 90 (power attack) damage in a round. Far surpassing the Druid/barbarian mix in this damage type.

Less movement speed, but it does the same you are trying to do, and can start doing it from level 3

I editted the original post with advantages/disadvantages

Circle of the Moon druid does decent damage at second level also.

Power attack effects to hit although with maxed stats without power attack your fighter is +3 to hit vs the Giant Elk so with power attack active it would only be -2.

Action surge is nova damage and I talk about that you can pick that up if that is something you want

I know I'm asking alot here but if you take out action surge

6d6+15=36
with the -5(-2)
6d6+45=66
2*ram
8d6+14=42
ram + stomp
4d6+7+4d8+7=46
Full stomp
8d8+14=50

if you activate Great Weapon Master's first ability

8d6+20=48
with the -5(-2)
8d6+60=88

3*ram
12d6+21=63

Full Stomp
12d8+21=75

So the Giant elk either does more with less accuracy or less with more accuracy and the dm could make the accuracy much closer only 1 difference 19 str vs 20, and actually attacking recklessly could even out the accuracy and increase crit chance and Giant Elks crit hard.

There is also the fact that Gnome's get disadvantage with heavy weapons so you will definitely not be doing power attack with a gnome fighter even if you say that once you trip them you can attack normally you are giving up advantage. You could do it with a ranged weapon sharpshooter feat but that is a different build also.

numerek
2015-06-11, 02:49 AM
Vs 18 AC
Battle Master
I give 1 superiority dice if they would get a hit in the turn, I also applied great weapon fighting.
6d6+1d10+15=40.5*.55+32.25*.05+6.75*.909=30.02
with the -5(-2)
6d6+45=70.5*.3+32.25*.05+6.75*.657=27.2

Drarbarid
2*ram without reckless
8d6+14=42*.4+28*.05=18.2
2*ram with reckless
8d6+14=42*.64+28*.0975=29.61

if you activate Great Weapon Master's first ability or have haste

Battle Master
30.02*4/3=40.03
-5/+10 didn't work on 3 attacks its not going to work on 4 attacks

Drarbarid
3*ram without reckless
18.2*3/2=27.3
3*ram with reckless
29.61*3/2=44.415

if you activate Great Weapon Master's first ability and have haste

Battle Master
30.02*5/3=50.05
-5/+10 didn't work on 3 attacks its not going to work on 4 attacks

Drarbarid
4*ram without reckless
18.2*4/2=36.4
4*ram with reckless
29.61*4/2=59.22

This doesn't count the battle master using trip attack to knock the opponent prone because it is kinda hard to include that.
So there is a 55% chance that they hit with their first attack but what is the chance that the opponent will get knocked prone the save dc will be 17 many things are strong so having a +4 or +5 to strength save is not uncommon, lets go with +4, so they have a 40% chance to save which gives a combined chance to knock prone at 33% and then on the other 67% do they try again on the second attack. And then this only works on large or smaller targets.

But I also do not count the knock down for the druid barbarian for the same reason