PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man:When it Reigns, it pours.(SPOILERS)

Raziel3024
2007-04-24, 05:45 PM
Recently, I bought Spider-man:Reign by Kaare Andrews

Wow.

This arguably one the best Spidey stories ever.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story, it goes like this:

35 years from now, Peter Parker is an old widower living alone in a dystopian New York. The city is ruled the iron fist of the Reign, the local government controlled by Mayor Waters and his "assisstant" Edward Saks. Freedom has been crushed in the name of security.Soon a new protective system called the Webb will be established which will keep the people "safe". However after a reunion with an old friend, Peter dons the mask for what may be the final time.

The narrative incoporates a few fairy tales and nursery rhymes to great effect (such as Itsy,Bitsy Spider)

Now, this mini-series has been compared to Frank Miller's Batman:The Dark Knight Returns, and that's right there are a numbwer of similiarities:

The're both brilliant:Well they are :biggrin:

An Old Friend: At the start of DKR, Bruce is having a drink with Jim Gordan. Peter is visited by J.Jonah Jameson, who now idolises him.

Run in with scum before taking back city: Bruce is accosted by a pair of the Mutants, the gang that is terrorising Gotham.Peter gets in the middle of a pair of Reign Officers arresting a teenager who sprayed the message"Where did U Go?" on a wall.(Obviouisly that's directed at Spider-Man)

Moment of Drama before donning the Cowl/Mask: Peter is staring at an old camera of his that Jonah kept from the Bugle. It disturbs him greatly, while Jonah runs afoul of Reign Officers(the two scenes are juxtaposed).
I'll admit that the DKR one is better. Bruce is watching T.V. when a rerun of the old Zorro that he and his parents saw the night they were murdered. This triggers a flashback to that night. He tries desperately to drive the memory from his mind, flicking to other channels,each with a news report proclaiming a horrowing crime.Finally, he turns off the T.V. not realizing he has already lost to the Dark Knight.After the narrative indicates that the Dark Knight persona is actually talking to him saying things like:

"I burn, hot, bright and beautiful. You cannot stop me, not wtith wine or vows or the weight of age."

Authorites opposed to reappearance: The Reign aren't too happy with Ol'Spidey.The Githam police end up pursueing Ol'Bats.

Weak Mayor: Gotham's mayor is a indecisive fool. More concerned other be reelected.Whilst Mayor Waters is just the pawn of Edward.(Think about the name...That's right it's HIM:mitd: ) (Well, obviouisly not him, but the black smiley is appropriete)

A bit gone in the head:Spidey keeps taliking to Mary-Jane's ghost.:smalleek:
Not to mention the full-on hullucinations.:eek:
Batman, on the other hand is as brilkliant as ever, apart from one or two moments.As I mentioned above the DK persona seems to be talking to him. And in his first fight with the Leader of the Mutants he seems to be talking to **** Grayson. In his Head.

Haunted by the Death of a Loved One: Bruce is filled with guilt over the death of Jason Todd. While Peter can forgive him self over MJ.MJ died from cancer, while Jason's demise is never elaborated on.

Inspiration: Batman's antics inspire Carrie Kelly to become Robin.
Spidey may or may not have inspired a young girl to take a stand.(She's someone special)

Old friend has own Important role: After Gotham's Light goes out, Jim establishes order among the chaos. Jonah leads a small group of children to rebel.

Weird relationship thing::smalleek:
In DKR, the Joker refers to Batman as "Darling".
The "sons" of Doc Ock save Spidey.

Tiberian
2007-04-24, 11:12 PM
I like Reign, I bought as individual issues and I have the unedited version of #1. I was unfortunately unable to buy #3, which was very confusing while reading #4. Anyway, I find one of the best scenes of the whole mini is when a certain villain re-redeems himself at the end.
You can't forget the parallels to the film version of V for Vendetta either.
So, yeah, to anyone who hasn't already acquired this work, get it. Its a Spidey-must-read.

Midnight Lurker
2007-04-26, 12:44 PM
Idiotic. Completely and totally idiotic.

Frank Miller-style stories have no business being within a hundred and fifty miles of Spider-Man.

And... Mary Jane killed by radioactive spider-spooge? Sorry, this just makes me want to lynch everyone on the creative team.

The Extinguisher
2007-04-26, 08:56 PM
Bah to you.

I loved it. It was different, which made it awesome.
Seriously, it kicked ass.

Konig
2007-05-01, 10:09 PM
It was awesome.

But what really intrigued me was...
The substory arc involving Sandman and what I assume was his daughter.

I really liked that bit, and wish I could've seen more story behind it (or ahead of it). The new character (and the whole new dimension given to the old classic) was likable and I'd seriously read a series involving one or both. As it was, it was too short, but maybe more poignant that way.

Logos7
2007-05-14, 01:40 PM
Loved Sandman and Cement, only caught the last few but i thought it kicked ass. It's nice to see something different rather than the same old tripe over and over again ( Don't get me wrong i like the tripe, but i also love one shots Part of the reason why i am enjoying the WHAT IF stories with the Beyonder or Observer or whatever the hell he is)

Logos