PDA

View Full Version : Best single target buffs

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-10, 12:16 AM
Hello, recently playing a new campaign and I am in a group with one other PC, a spiked chain wielding sword sage. As I normally go minionmancy or heavy control for my characters I wanted to try something different and I wanted to make sure I didn't overshadow their character as there is a decently large gap in player experience/optimization skill. So I went for a healer/buffer/durable type of build.

Now, after the first session I noticed that the swordsage really doesn't have that much damage potential. She deals decent damage but since I literally can't deal any myself (Vow from a PRC) it might not be enough later on since she doesn't use power attack. So I am currently looking for some really good single target buff spells to cast on others.

Polymorph of course is probably the king for this but I am sure there are others. I am using the ancestral custom runestaff trick so don't worry about what spell list it is on (My DM is having them default to the wiz/sorc/cleric/bard/druid list though so no getting 1st level haste from trapsmith)

Currently we are level 4, but I imagine the campaign going till 12th or so. So really any 1st-6th level single target buff spell would be great.

A_S
2015-06-10, 01:09 AM
What weapon type does the Swordsage use?

Greater Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Fang are worth casting, if not terribly exciting.
If she uses bludgeoning weapons, Greater Mighty Wallop (Sorc/Wiz 3) can provide a substantial damage boost.
Heroics (Cleric 2) can provide some vaguely useful stuff, but what feat you should pick will depend on the combat style of the target.
Enlarge Person is always good.
Good Hope (Bard 3) is...okay. Better than nothing.
Greater Invisibility is always great.

All I can think of right away.

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-10, 02:39 AM
Spiked chain.

Invisibility and the like will probably be useful since I think she will be picking up Craven. Heroics for a situational maneuver might be a good option too.

Crake
2015-06-10, 03:28 AM
Heroics for a situational maneuver might be a good option too.

If cast mid battle, you'll need adaptive style to gain access to it that fight, though as a swordsage, I assume adaptive style was your first level feat.

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-10, 03:29 AM
She does have adaptive style :smalltongue: The swordsage default recovery method is ludicrously inefficient.

paranoidbox
2015-06-10, 03:33 AM
I like Heroism for a +2 bonus on pretty much everything except damage. Coupled with Power Attack which she can get via Heroics, it will slightly increase her damage output.
Create Magic Tattoo or whatever it's called is a pretty good all-day buff, too.

Why specifically do the buffs need to be single target spells? Because Haste is always a good choice.

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-10, 04:34 AM
I like Heroism for a +2 bonus on pretty much everything except damage. Coupled with Power Attack which she can get via Heroics, it will slightly increase her damage output.
Create Magic Tattoo or whatever it's called is a pretty good all-day buff, too.

Why specifically do the buffs need to be single target spells? Because Haste is always a good choice.

I don't particularly need them to be single target. Its just that it is a single melee character I am buffing and I am not as familiar with single target buffs as I am with aoe buffs or personal buffs.

Maybe I can get my DM to allow me to research a touch ranged version of the bite of the x line though that might be nice.

defiantdan
2015-06-10, 05:34 AM
best Single target buff is the polymorph line.

edit: derp you knew that all ready. so contructive advice: if spiked chains has bludgeoning Greater Mighty wallop. Protection from evil prevents charm and compulsion effects. Jaws of the Moray. Fly. Phantom Steed. Snake's swiftness. Sakkratar's Triple Strike. Brilliant Blade.