PDA

View Full Version : Is there a bear/panda-folk?

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a playable race of sentient bears or preferrably Pandas. The idea came because i'm simply mad for pandas, that's why i would love to make a panda as a player character in DnD. But so far I haven't found much.

I have looked through the SRD and the WotC homepage, but i didnt really find anything.
I have also looked up the table for anthropomorphic animals in Savage Species. What would be most suitable there, would be an Anthropomorphic Black Bear. But most of the anthropomorpic creatures appear a little overpowered to me, mainly the middle-sized ones. A black bear would have +8 Strength and +4 Con and Wisdom, and no disadvantages except for level adjustment and 2 Monster hit dice. They appear just a little too strong to me, and my DM would probably think the same. So anthropomorphic bears dont really work.

So my questions are:
1. Is there any bear folk for DnD somewhere in a book that i might not have seen yet (which is probably a lot), that I could use as a Pandafolk? Or is there even a designated Pandafolk, that is not all that extreme in its abilities?
2. And if there isnt, can you recommend me another race that's rules i can use to make a Panda out of before i have to go into the real homebrewing? (preferrably without or with no more than 2 monster hit dice and as low LA as possible)

storybookknight
2007-04-24, 05:51 PM
There are Pandafolk in Exalted... but you're asking about D&D. Try the Spirit Folk, from the 3.0 Oriental Adventures handbook.

JellyPooga
2007-04-24, 05:54 PM
If you go along the 'use the abilities of another race but call them pandafolk' line, Gnoll might make a good substitute. Can't really help you otherwise.

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 05:58 PM
The Warcraft RPG Monster Manual has stats for Pandarens.

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 06:08 PM
There are Pandafolk in Exalted... but you're asking about D&D. Try the Spirit Folk, from the 3.0 Oriental Adventures handbook.

the only thing i have seen about spirit folk except for a few mentionings without any explanation is a miniature titled "spirit-folk fighter" and that one looked quite human.

If you go along the 'use the abilities of another race but call them pandafolk' line, Gnoll might make a good substitute. Can't really help you otherwise.
I'm afraid so.

The Warcraft RPG Monster Manual has stats for Pandarens.
Is the warcraft RPG based on the D20 system?

Penguinsushi
2007-04-24, 06:09 PM
Frostburn has a race called Urskans (ecl 9) that are essentially humanoid bears - though the idea is polar bear moreso than panda.

You could also look into Warden Archons (ecl 15) or Ursinals (ecl 18) from BoED.

You could always do a natural werebear, say it's a panda, and stay in hybrid form.

~PS

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 06:13 PM
Is the warcraft RPG based on the D20 system?

Yes, it is. :smallsmile:

UglyPanda
2007-04-24, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, the power level in that game is much too high compared to regular D&D.

I've looked all over as well and I can't find the stats for pandas. I would've been very happy if I could've played an awakened panda.

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 06:21 PM
Yes, it is. :smallsmile:
Oh neat, then i should take a look at that. Say, the Warcraft RPG books aren't, by any chance, OGL?

Frostburn has a race called Urskans (ecl 9) that are essentially humanoid bears - though the idea is polar bear moreso than panda.

You could also look into Warden Archons (ecl 15) or Ursinals (ecl 18) from BoED.

You could always do a natural werebear, say it's a panda, and stay in hybrid form.

~PS

Well those ECLs are a bit too much unfortunately. Also that of a werebear (they have 5 monster HD and an insane level adjustment, IIRC)

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 06:32 PM
Oh neat, then i should take a look at that. Say, the Warcraft RPG books aren't, by any chance, OGL?

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

Just to warn you now, Pandarens have a +1 LA, just in case you're looking for something with no LA and go out and buy the book. :smalltongue:

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 06:38 PM
Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

Just to warn you now, Pandarens have a +1 LA, just in case you're looking for something with no LA and go out and buy the book. :smalltongue:

no, a +1 LA is just fine (only +3 or more would be too much), though if what UglyPanda said is true, its LA must be adjusted a little more. or the pandaren must be downgraded.

KIDS
2007-04-24, 07:12 PM
Well, that (if it exists) would be indeed a thing made of pure awesomeness. Remember the famous "FOR PANDARIAAAAAAAAAAAAA....!" battlecry? :)

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 07:16 PM
Well, that (if it exists) would be indeed a thing made of pure awesomeness. Remember the famous "FOR PANDARIAAAAAAAAAAAAA....!" battlecry? :)

What with the if? It definitely exists. I've got the racial stats for Pandarens sitting in front of me.

And I prefer the brewmaster's "Now YOU'RE endangered!" :smalltongue:

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 07:17 PM

Not really (guess its from Warcraft, which i havent really played excessively), I was more thinking of "THIS - IS - PANDARIA!!!" *kick* at that moment.

I think I will work out some stats for a possible Pandafolk/Pandaren/Pandarian and post them in the homebrew forum later. Also I will go through the books for other options.

The_Snark
2007-04-24, 11:56 PM
I'd second (third, whatever) using the Pandaren. They might be a bit good for LA +1, but they aren't LA +2; the best solution is probably to downgrade them. And the puns, the Brewmaster puns...! "Is trouble brewing? This will be grizzly! Pandamonium!"

The Urskans are sorta cool too, but they're Wizards's nod to the armored polar bears from the Golden Compass series, rather than being panda-like. (His Dark Materials, I think it was called.)

Wehrkind
2007-04-25, 12:21 AM
Did they ever explain where the random Pandarian came from in WC? I have yet to bump into any in WoW... it just seems like it was a lost bet, or some guy promised his girlfriend he would put it in the game...

KIDS
2007-04-25, 03:49 AM
Speaking of Pandarens and etc. things that hail (from what I know) from Warcraft, what about Ulsfarr the Ursa Warrior? Are there any furbolgs or furbolg-like races in D&D?

Starsinger
2007-04-25, 03:58 AM
An unofficial write up of Pandaren stats can be found here http://www.geocities.com/magusrogue/Panda.html, written by Adam Loyd, who has written published content for the WoW RPG.

AtomicKitKat
2007-04-25, 04:47 AM
Furbolgs are essentially the same as Pandaren, just more bear and less Panda.

Threeshades
2007-04-25, 05:12 AM
Thanks everyone, and also starsinger for that link. I have thought of my own rules last night and i'm going post them in the homebrew section.

(PS: those pandaren seem to have no ability adjustments at all)

Starsinger
2007-04-25, 06:02 AM
The new edition of the WoW RPG doesn't have level adjustment, instead the stronger abilities are only for people who take levels in the racial class.

Threeshades
2007-09-23, 02:25 PM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread because i think i have found a nice substitute that would make for a nice pandafolk without going beyond any rules or into homebrewing:
Goliath.
It has got just the right Abilities (though a +WIS and -CHA would be nice too but isnt necessary) and the racial features are just perfect for a panda folk. Their attunement to mountain regions is just perfect since pandas do live in the mountains and the powerful build isnt bad either, since they are bears and thus quite hulky. The sense motive bonus might be weird but isnt completely misplaced.

Talya
2007-09-23, 03:07 PM
While there are no Pandaren in WoW directly, a number of quests (EG. Chen's Empty Keg) and items (EG. Fortune Cookie) mention them.

As for the origins of the Pandaren, they were created as an April Fool's joke on the WC3 website, and received such as positive response from fans that Blizzard basically said "What the hell,why not?" and added one in as a playable character in the Orc campaign in the Frozen Throne expansion to Warcraft 3. Officially, you don't see them in WoW because they rarely leave their homeland, the island of Pandaria.

Threeshades
2007-09-23, 03:13 PM
While there are no Pandaren in WoW directly, a number of quests (EG. Chen's Empty Keg) and items (EG. Fortune Cookie) mention them.

As for the origins of the Pandaren, they were created as an April Fool's joke on the WC3 website, and received such as positive response from fans that Blizzard basically said "What the hell,why not?" and added one in as a playable character in the Orc campaign in the Frozen Throne expansion to Warcraft 3. Officially, you don't see them in WoW because they rarely leave their homeland, the island of Pandaria.

Im sorry, i fail to see what this has to do with the thread, especially with my latest post in it? (before this one)

kamikasei
2007-09-23, 04:14 PM
Im sorry, i fail to see what this has to do with the thread, especially with my latest post in it? (before this one)

It's a reply to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2472765&postcount=16).

Also: dear god, necromancy.