PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Anyone have ideas I might apply to a Dancer class in pathfinder?

MonkeySage
2015-06-10, 01:27 AM
I've been getting back into a certain mmo, and enjoyed one of the classes well enough that I thought I might try mapping it out in Pathfinder.

So the ideas so far:
Like the Bard, the dancer is a spontaneous caster. Unlike Bards, Dancers are almost pure offense.
Dancer wears lightweight costumes, as armor tends to interfere with their movements and hinders their spell casting. Dancers can eschew the verbal components of a spell.
They use decorative fans both as props and as weapons, and can use these fans as substitute arcane foci. The fan can be poisoned, or may be used to conceal throwing knives.. Other props might help too, such as swords. (Dancers probably get two weapon fighting as a bonus feat, and consider fans as light weapons)
The dancer can create powerful aoe effects that can devastate enemies.

Trouble I'm having is making this class truly unique, not just a bard clone or just some variant type of bard. Especially in pathfinder, bards have become a very versatile class.

Sacrieur
2015-06-10, 08:17 AM
I've been getting back into a certain mmo, and enjoyed one of the classes well enough that I thought I might try mapping it out in Pathfinder.

So the ideas so far:
Like the Bard, the dancer is a spontaneous caster. Unlike Bards, Dancers are almost pure offense.
Dancer wears lightweight costumes, as armor tends to interfere with their movements and hinders their spell casting. Dancers can eschew the verbal components of a spell.
They use decorative fans both as props and as weapons, and can use these fans as substitute arcane foci. The fan can be poisoned, or may be used to conceal throwing knives.. Other props might help too, such as swords. (Dancers probably get two weapon fighting as a bonus feat, and consider fans as light weapons)
The dancer can create powerful aoe effects that can devastate enemies.

Trouble I'm having is making this class truly unique, not just a bard clone or just some variant type of bard. Especially in pathfinder, bards have become a very versatile class.

Sounds like it is best suited to being a Bard archetype.

You could make your own class, but I think that would be silly since it would just overlap a lot with Bard.

MonkeySage
2015-06-10, 04:28 PM
I think I've got it so far:
At level one, bardic perfomance instead gives them new dances; for example, Wind Blade can be used to inflict slashing damage, Dance of Knives conjures multiple throwing knives to attack multiple enemies, and Fire Dance causes fire damage to the surrounding enemies.

Dancer's euphoria behaves similar to a barbarian's rage, but enhances the dex and cha of the dancer by +4 each for a certain number of rounds a day. The bonus increases every few levels. This replaces inspire courage.

At level 2, they keep versatile performance and well versed.

At level 3, i'm trying to find a decent replacement for inspire competence.

Stan
2015-06-10, 04:45 PM
What you have is good so far. I ain't got much but here's bits you could add at certain points.
enthrall/hypnotic abilities from movements
dancing allows movement that doesn't trigger AoO. (maybe add dancing and acrobatic skills for tumble rolls?)
Maybe they can branch out to other performance abilities, like holding fuel in their mouth to breath fire, may tap or stomp to make noise to counter sound magic as long as they move that round, may limbo under things leap over things and squeeze through with few or now penalties.
distraction and beguiling movement gives AC bonus.

MonkeySage
2015-06-10, 08:37 PM
Ok, I've started over. I got the idea that bards didn't quite fit the profile of what I had in mind. I reimagined the class so that it isn't necessarily a spell caster. It is a magic user, but its magic doesn't come in the form of spells. Instead, each movement of their body allows them to work enchantment or destruction.

So, now we have:
1st level: Dance allows them to work their magic a number of rounds per day. Dancer's Euphoria improves their charisma and dexterity, as before. Their first dance is hypnotic movement, which functions as the spell hypnotism for as long as the dancer keeps moving.

2nd level: They get the Evasion class feature, and Graceful Step, which allows them to use Perform (Dance) in the stead of Acrobatics, Fly, and Escape Artist. (Open to suggestions for improving this)

3rd level: Two Weapon Fighting, and the dance Wind Blade allows them to cause slashing damage to a single enemy.

4th level: They gain the ability to perform without provoking an attack of opportunity, and the Dance of Knives allows them to conjure throwing knives and attack multiple enemies.

5th level: Beguiling dance acts as a mass charm person, the dancer gains an armor bonus of +1 for as long as they do not wear any armor. The benefits they gain from Euphoria increase to +6 each.

This is a work in progress, but the armor bonus progresses the same way that it does for monks.
The dancer's primary weapon, as stated before, is a fan. I feel like taking away bardic spell casting gives me a bit of flexibility with their class features, and I hope that the end result is something that feels new and unique.
This class would probably benefit considerably from weapon finesse, but I'm not sure if I should offer it as a bonus feat.

darkbuu_1
2015-06-11, 01:40 AM
In Dragon Compendium there's a Battle Dancer class that's closer to being a monk than anything else, anyway the point is they have a few fun abilities like being able to dance on liquids, and later, dancing on air. It might be worth a look through.

MonkeySage
2015-08-03, 08:22 PM
I think I've got a few final details worked out and the class should be playable soon.

I wanna know what you guys think:
Tumbler image. http://redandblackknight.tumblr.com/image/125803589450

Dancer Details:
Alignment- Any
Role- AOE/Supporting DPS
Primary form of Attack- Dance
Primary abilities- Cha, Dex, Con

Dance: A Dancer is trained to use Perform (Dance) Skill to create magical effects. She can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Charisma modifier. At each level after 1st a dancer can use this ability for 2 additional rounds per day. Unless otherwise specified, starting a dance is a standard action, but it can be maintained each round as a free action. Changing from one dance to another requires a standard action. It cannot be disrupted, but it ends immediately if the dancer is killed, paralyzed, stunned, knocked unconscious, or otherwise prevented from taking a free action to maintain it each round.
A dancer cannot have more than one dance in effect at one time.

The dancer learns new dances as they advance in level.

Dancer’s Euphoria: For a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier, the dancer can increase her Dex score by +4. Once the effect runs its course, the dancer will be fatigued. At level 11, this bonus increases to +6.

Graceful Step: At level 2, the dancer can use the Perform (Dance) skill in place of Acrobatics, Fly, and Escape Artist skills.

Armor bonus: The dancer adds their charisma modifier to their AC for as long as they are not wearing armor. The bonus increases by one every 4 levels, to a maximum of 5 + Charisma modifier at level 20.

Water Stride: At level 6, the dancer gains the ability to tread on water as if it were uneven solid terrain.

Dance maneuvers:

1st level Maneuvers:
Hypnotic Movement(Su)- The dancer’s slow methodical movement fascinates one or more enemies within 90 ft of her. The targets must be able to see the dancer’s movement, and the dancer must be able to see them. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents this ability from working. Every 3 levels after level 1, the dancer can target an additional enemy.

Each enemy targeted receives a Will Save(DC 10+ 1/2 Dancer’s level + the Dancer’s Cha modifier) to negate this effect. If they succeed, the dancer cannot attempt to hypnotize that creature again for 24 hours. If the Save fails, the creature sits quietly and observes the dance for as long as the dancer continues to maintain it. While fascinated, a target takes a -4 penalty on all skill checks made as reactions, such as Perception checks. Any potential threat to the target allows the target to make a new saving throw against the effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect.
Hypnotic movement is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability. It relies on visual components, but a bard’s music can potentially enhance the effect(+2 bonus to save DC).

Wind Blade(Su)- The dancer produces a gust of high pressure wind around them, causing slashing damage to any enemies within 10 feet of him, as well pushing them backwards 5 feet. Enemies take 1d6 damage at level 1 + 1d6 every other level after that up to 5d6 at level 10.

Enemies get a reflex saving throw (10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+ dancer’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect. As long as they remain in the area of effect, they must make a new saving throw every round the dance is maintained.

Dance of Knives(Su)- The dancer conjures throwing knives from a fan, which are thrown at one or more enemies within 30 feet of him every round that the dance is maintained. Each knife deals 1d4 damage. This is a ranged touch attack.

Every three levels after level 1, the dancer can target an additional enemy.

Combative Dance(Ex)- This dance enables the performer to use their Perform(Dance) skill for Combat Maneuvers.

4th level Maneuvers:

Beguiling Dance(Su)- The dancer can use his movements to Charm multiple enemies(As the spell Mass Charm Monster). The effect remains for as long as the he continues to dance.
Enemies get a Will save to negate the effect (DC 10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+ Cha mod). If the enemy succeeds, it is immune for the next 24 hours.

Fan the flames(Su)- This dance produces flame to attack enemies within 20 ft of him. A wave of fire expands out in all directions, dealing 1d6 damage per level of the dancer, up to 10d6. Those hit by the wave catch fire, receiving an additional 1d6 damage for as long the dance continues.

Targets of the blast receive a Reflex save (DC 10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+Cha Modifier) in the first round. If they succeed, they take half damage in the first round, and do not catch fire. In the rounds that follow, those on fire may make a reflex save to put out the flames. The dancer can perform this dance as a full round action in order to protect allies, weaving the flames around them.

Dance of Tides(Su)- This maneuver allows the performer to manipulate nearby bodies of water to produce waves or whirlpools. Useful for pushing back pursuing enemies in rivers or streams. (Work in Progress)

Blurred Dance(Su)- This defensive maneuver behaves just like the wizard spell Blur(caster level equal to dancer’s level). (Work in Progress)

Dance of Poisoned Knives(Su)- An advanced form of the Dance of Knives, the knives conjured by this maneuver are coated with the poison detailed below:
Type- injury
Fortitude Save DC 10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+ Cha modifier
Frequency 1/rd. for 6 rounds
Effect 1 Con, 1d3 Str, 1d3 Wis
Cure 2 Saves

8th Level Maneuvers

Dance of Winter(Su)- A powerful dance capable of conjuring a winter storm, which lasts for as long as the dancer continues to perform. The performer is uninhibited by the effects of the storm created. The storm behaves as a sleet storm spell, and advances to a blizzard at 15th level. The area of effect is affected by extreme cold and fierce winds. The dance must be performed outside in an area that naturally receives precipitation.

Rain Dance(Su)- This maneuver calls upon rain to fall in a 40 ft radius of the performer. The dance must be performed outside in an area that naturally receives precipitation.

I would like advice on how to handle additional maneuvers, and perhaps ways to improve existing ones.

khadgar567
2015-08-04, 02:13 AM
I think I've got a few final details worked out and the class should be playable soon.

I wanna know what you guys think:
Tumbler image. http://redandblackknight.tumblr.com/image/125803589450

Dancer Details:
Alignment- Any
Role- AOE/Supporting DPS
Primary form of Attack- Dance
Primary abilities- Cha, Dex, Con

Dance: A Dancer is trained to use Perform (Dance) Skill to create magical effects. She can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Charisma modifier. At each level after 1st a dancer can use this ability for 2 additional rounds per day. Unless otherwise specified, starting a dance is a standard action, but it can be maintained each round as a free action. Changing from one dance to another requires a standard action. It cannot be disrupted, but it ends immediately if the dancer is killed, paralyzed, stunned, knocked unconscious, or otherwise prevented from taking a free action to maintain it each round.
A dancer cannot have more than one dance in effect at one time.

The dancer learns new dances as they advance in level.

Dancer’s Euphoria: For a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier, the dancer can increase her Dex score by +4. Once the effect runs its course, the dancer will be fatigued. At level 11, this bonus increases to +6.

Graceful Step: At level 2, the dancer can use the Perform (Dance) skill in place of Acrobatics, Fly, and Escape Artist skills.

Armor bonus: The dancer adds their charisma modifier to their AC for as long as they are not wearing armor. The bonus increases by one every 4 levels, to a maximum of 5 + Charisma modifier at level 20.

Water Stride: At level 6, the dancer gains the ability to tread on water as if it were uneven solid terrain.

Dance maneuvers:

1st level Maneuvers:
Hypnotic Movement(Su)- The dancer’s slow methodical movement fascinates one or more enemies within 90 ft of her. The targets must be able to see the dancer’s movement, and the dancer must be able to see them. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents this ability from working. Every 3 levels after level 1, the dancer can target an additional enemy.

Each enemy targeted receives a Will Save(DC 10+ 1/2 Dancer’s level + the Dancer’s Cha modifier) to negate this effect. If they succeed, the dancer cannot attempt to hypnotize that creature again for 24 hours. If the Save fails, the creature sits quietly and observes the dance for as long as the dancer continues to maintain it. While fascinated, a target takes a -4 penalty on all skill checks made as reactions, such as Perception checks. Any potential threat to the target allows the target to make a new saving throw against the effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect.
Hypnotic movement is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability. It relies on visual components, but a bard’s music can potentially enhance the effect(+2 bonus to save DC).

Wind Blade(Su)- The dancer produces a gust of high pressure wind around them, causing slashing damage to any enemies within 10 feet of him, as well pushing them backwards 5 feet. Enemies take 1d6 damage at level 1 + 1d6 every other level after that up to 5d6 at level 10.

Enemies get a reflex saving throw (10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+ dancer’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect. As long as they remain in the area of effect, they must make a new saving throw every round the dance is maintained.

Dance of Knives(Su)- The dancer conjures throwing knives from a fan, which are thrown at one or more enemies within 30 feet of him every round that the dance is maintained. Each knife deals 1d4 damage. This is a ranged touch attack.

Every three levels after level 1, the dancer can target an additional enemy.

Combative Dance(Ex)- This dance enables the performer to use their Perform(Dance) skill for Combat Maneuvers.

4th level Maneuvers:

Beguiling Dance(Su)- The dancer can use his movements to Charm multiple enemies(As the spell Mass Charm Monster). The effect remains for as long as the he continues to dance.
Enemies get a Will save to negate the effect (DC 10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+ Cha mod). If the enemy succeeds, it is immune for the next 24 hours.

Fan the flames(Su)- This dance produces flame to attack enemies within 20 ft of him. A wave of fire expands out in all directions, dealing 1d6 damage per level of the dancer, up to 10d6. Those hit by the wave catch fire, receiving an additional 1d6 damage for as long the dance continues.

Targets of the blast receive a Reflex save (DC 10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+Cha Modifier) in the first round. If they succeed, they take half damage in the first round, and do not catch fire. In the rounds that follow, those on fire may make a reflex save to put out the flames. The dancer can perform this dance as a full round action in order to protect allies, weaving the flames around them.

Dance of Tides(Su)- This maneuver allows the performer to manipulate nearby bodies of water to produce waves or whirlpools. Useful for pushing back pursuing enemies in rivers or streams. (Work in Progress)

Blurred Dance(Su)- This defensive maneuver behaves just like the wizard spell Blur(caster level equal to dancer’s level). (Work in Progress)

Dance of Poisoned Knives(Su)- An advanced form of the Dance of Knives, the knives conjured by this maneuver are coated with the poison detailed below:
Type- injury
Fortitude Save DC 10+ 1/2 dancer’s level+ Cha modifier
Frequency 1/rd. for 6 rounds
Effect 1 Con, 1d3 Str, 1d3 Wis
Cure 2 Saves

8th Level Maneuvers

Dance of Winter(Su)- A powerful dance capable of conjuring a winter storm, which lasts for as long as the dancer continues to perform. The performer is uninhibited by the effects of the storm created. The storm behaves as a sleet storm spell, and advances to a blizzard at 15th level. The area of effect is affected by extreme cold and fierce winds. The dance must be performed outside in an area that naturally receives precipitation.

Rain Dance(Su)- This maneuver calls upon rain to fall in a 40 ft radius of the performer. The dance must be performed outside in an area that naturally receives precipitation.

I would like advice on how to handle additional maneuvers, and perhaps ways to improve existing ones.
small advice make Dancer’s Euphoria based on rage aka late game make them immune to fatigue so they can be more effective also give them cha boost while Dancer’s Euphoria