PDA

View Full Version : Summon monster : web spinner

Timy
2015-06-10, 07:32 AM
I was considering the summoning angle for my cleric ans I was looking for the neat summon possibilities.

And coming across the monstrous spider, I asked myself : does a web disapear once the spinner disappear ?

The idea I have for my campaign where we are defending a fortress against an army of hobgobelin (coming via tunnels in the mouain) is to put some (a lot ?) of web in the tunnels in order to greatly impede the hobbo invasion.

Does it work and if it works what are the arguments I could give to my DM :D

Segev
2015-06-10, 02:23 PM
The rule you're looking for is here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning

In short, spell effects created by summoned creatures end when the summoning effect does.

Ellowryn
2015-06-10, 02:30 PM
But what if they cast a spell/use a spell-like ability that has a duration of instantaneous like Wall of Stone? The effect of the spell has already ended, but does the wall disappear with the summoned creature?

Aleolus
2015-06-10, 02:42 PM
Or what if it isn't a spell or spell effect? Spiders don't use magic to make webs, they produce it biologically

Necroticplague
2015-06-10, 02:51 PM
But what if they cast a spell/use a spell-like ability that has a duration of instantaneous like Wall of Stone? The effect of the spell has already ended, but does the wall disappear with the summoned creature?
Nope, for reasons you already listed. Instantaneous spells expire the moment they are cast.

I was considering the summoning angle for my cleric ans I was looking for the neat summon possibilities.

And coming across the monstrous spider, I asked myself : does a web disapear once the spinner disappear ?

Nope, only spells disappear.

Inevitability
2015-06-10, 03:00 PM
Summoned objects do not disappear, I believe. This should allow for the webs sticking around.